/egg/ - Engineering Games General

Old and rusty edition
Rusted out: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

In response the user asking about the speed on my forked gun, I've not measured it in any way, but if you make it long and use multiple springs it gets almost uselessly powerful.

>Try the 'more realistic physics' option in Besiege
>Bombs don't explode when shot by a fucking cannon
>'''''Realistic'''''

>>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
???

I so badly wish bombs were less sensitive, they're beyond useless as they are

Okay no I've just tested it and apparently that's normal now.
Thank god I don't have my old saves, I'd have lost at least two useful designs with self-destruction in them.

You kidding? Use grabbers more, they're easy to use once they're not rolling around.

kek'd so hard

I just copy and pasted the old OP. Not sure what its on about either.

kay
es
pee

Do not speak of it. Remain vigilant. Suffer not the shitposter to live.

>newfriends making the op

I tried playing WTF but docking frustrated me to hell and back, then I couldn't figure out how to fire my pistol. So I deleted the game.

At least you know how to breath automatically, right? Or are you breathing manually right now :^)

Fucking kek.
Hold down right button to aim. When you want to dock, push c to slow you down even more to make it easier.
Also, saw the sprites for the fighter drones in game in that one station you have to infiltrate for the story. They need to be implemented already, even if it's just the fighter drones.

Ah right "that game"
Cheers dude

In WTF, how do you start growing crystals? I need 500 of the buggers and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I also forgot where SSC chased that pirate ship that was supposed to be carrying them.

did someboday say bioclang

yee

>docking frustrated me
what the fuck do you normally play? Thats the least awful part of the game.
>too retarded to hold down right click and then click left
wew

I'm getting to a level of power I'm not even sure on the use of.

What wouldn't I give to be an engineer on an old CLANGbucket like Serenity.

Anti-aircraft/Anti-airship

/egg/ game were you get to design ww1/ww2 tanks when?

Probably unexploited niche. Most /eggs/ are space, a few are water/underwater. Airships and land vehicles are surprisingly rare.

/egg/ where we get to design something like the Sakala-class Expedition Carrier when?

oh boy, hold on
I knew I should have saved that shit.

Actually, is it possible to grow crystals just from genes or do I need some to seed them?
Because I have no fucking idea where to find them now.

just go kill those red pirate ships in the yellow zone, you will find crystals soon enough
Or explore stations in red zone

I think that ship they originally spawn in is only temporary and disappears when you leave too

you need a crystal spore
But then you take mining lasers to plant more ??? I dnno if thats a bug or intended but I seem to have planted 2 more and it consumed 2 mining lasers

>But then you take mining lasers to plant more ???
wut
no
lol
gimmie a minute to search old eggs before you shitpost more bugs as features

Like that other user said, you need Crystal Spores. You can get them from pirate ships and on abandoned stations via RNG.

>Ok, so I am doing that crystal growing thing because I lost the base where I was supposed to get the last 100. This shit is like watching paint dry. Anyways, this is the order that the static growth gene begins growth (red numbers) from there it's basic programming and math. If anyone needs help with this, ask. It's basically like playing farmville in WTF:ZF.

I will look for more.

Well I put the mining lasers in the slots that the crystal spore used to be, I fired it, and it disappeared, in the spot where it disappeared there appeared a plant

Possibly you could use anything to do this, I didn't experiment

Fuuuuuuuuck this thing

I decided to test its maximum range by moving all the way to one end of the barren expanse and it covers the entire thing.

I linked the wrong post, but that's where the actual description starts so if you're not a brainlet, this works for you.

more
If you look at the above picture (not the post I'm responding to, the one you responded to) you can see the order in which the growth happens based on the highlighted, static growth gene that everyone gets included in their genealogy map. Every crystal starts off with 100 energy and the growth gene converts 4 energy per unit of time (a few seconds) into other genes that you install in the map. You energy is finite unless you add collectors, those yellow ones. Each collector gains one energy per unit of time. Each one of those light blue arrows is a lens that adds to the collected energy in any collector nearby (within one of the eight surrounding squares). So for step 1 and 2, my crystal grows a collector. Steps 3-6 are all lenses. This gives me a total of eight energy produced per unit of time (here's that basic math part coming into play). Step 7, I added an additional growth gene to give my map a total of 8 gene production points per unit of time, one for each energy produced.

besiege space program initiated

game is buggy
So we're on step eight, now, where there are two growth genes fully energized and producing more genes. The last gene that my static growth gene (numbah 1) is programmed to grow is a root gene; the root gene adds another +1 to the growth gene output capability. At the same time, the second growth gene (step 7) is producing an additional collector to bring the capable gene production up to 9. Now it's important to note that it seems like each different type of gene is produced at a different rate. So here's where it gets fucky. On step 9 the first static growth gene (highlighted one) starts throwing it's five gene production power into a random gene that isn't within the surrounding 8 tiles. Any gene. Could be the same one the second growth gene is working on, or it could be one of those grey ones on the perimeter. Still on step 9, simultaneously, the second growth gene begins working on an additional collector that's in range of one lens for a total of +2 energy. At this point, we have one extra energy if my totals are correct. Ideally, I'd add another lens in this marked space just to max out the next step, but I don't have one so fuck it. What is this, step 10? Step 10 adds an additional lens for +1, which brings me to an extra two energy per unit of time still yet to be spent. Step 11 builds a gene (the purple one) that requires one energy to increase the end yield over time. We're at +1 energy for step 12. Step 12 makes a flowering gene (requires up to 2 energy) that builds up a charge over time and eventually seeds an additional crystal nearby the first one which starts the process over again. So I'm currently at a deficit of 1 energy, iirc. It shouldn't matter, but I haven't actually made it this far, yet, so I don't know for sure. Either way, the first static, highlighted growth gene (the little house-looking one) has been dumping its five energy into random genes since step 9.

Most likely, based on probability, it would be dumping them into the grey genes on the perimeter which are just flat bonuses to the end yield of the crystal, similar but unlike the purple gene that is yield over time.

I forgot to mention that the root gene in step 8 also adds +1 to the capability of the flower gene in the last step, so I'm actually at a deficit of 2 energy. I have another collector, so I could make up that deficit, but it would be an unprogrammed gene and it would only kick in randomly. Eventually, though, the crystal would be at full output.

This is a fucking mess and needs reformatting. I am sorry, tovarisch.

Ok, so please excuse the potato quality (webm).
You'll need:
>empty asteroid space (it gives you this in home base, no effort required)
>Crystal Spore [fairly rare, afaik can be found on stations and in pirate ships (ships painted red, not just red arrows)]
>at least one Collector Gene (Yellow one with the arrow pointing into a basin or bin)
>at least 1 Flower Gene (replication gene)
I can't remember if it gives you those to start with and I cbf to restart the game to find out for you.
last but not least:
>ability to watch paint dry

Webm related
>be me
>be innahomebase
>be in possession of Crystal Spore and some dank Genealogy
>walk my ass to the teleporters and go in the bottom one
>It says "To Farm"
>complicated.py
>muh jump cuts
>find a plot of land
>right click on Crystal Spore in inventory
>left click on empty ground/dirt
>select mining laser thing
(can be found in home base; if you haven't found it already, they're in storage above the teleporters by logistics/docking)
>observe wherever you left-clicked
>watchpaintdry.exe

at the very end of the webm, I moused over a previous generation of crystal so you could see the difference between your freshly planted crystal and my half-grown one. After the Flower Gene matures, it'll start producing more Crystals every once in a while

Energy maxes out at 10k
Seeds at 600
Value is how much return there is on collection (mining with mining laser)

WTF isn't /egg/!

>Armour doesn't block arrows
For what purpose
It does slow the damage down, but at most it's sacrificial

2+2=5!

IIRC Crystals start with one each of Collector, Root and Flower.

Anyway, the central Growth gene says that it'll pick an adjacent gene at random and branch out from there. Does that mean that spiral designs are the most effective?

No
2 + 2 = 4!/3!

>make meme wall
>block 20 gorillion arrows effortlessly
>little bell rings
>you get some seed
>good boy!

I made it because I was noticing the armour doing nothing useful, you fucking physician
Unlike some people I actually test my suspicions

it was a joke about the idiot last thread actually caring about cheevos

>IIRC Crystals start with one each of Collector, Root and Flower.
This is good info.
>Does that mean that spiral designs are the most effective?
Only until you have enough genes to fill your genealogy, if I'm comprehending everything correctly. There's also (supposedly) a gene that allows you to start a sub-genealogy at half energy efficiency. Kinda like a recursive program. I haven't found one yet.

rate my tank

Please I'm not an idiot, I just lack the imagination to come up with my own foals

>that chase through the asteroids and the fight at home base
>allies slowly get picked off but they still fight on

"Sure, dude."/10

Does it have a coax?
Is it functional?

will never be used in combat /10
>if it is used ti will get memed on by E2 shitters spamming holos because they have no idea how to build anything

>There's also (supposedly) a gene that allows you to start a sub-genealogy at half energy efficiency
I have one of those at the end of my spiral.

another pic

Looks like the bad kind of autism.

It's an absolute kind of disgust.

neat, post pics
also have you watched the paint dry? does the spiral work? I figure the best place for bulk/yield genes are in the second level because they don't suffer from inefficiency but I can't test that.

it took me hours to build

I've yet to test it, actually.
It's late as fuck and I'm gonna grab spores tomorrow.

thanks

Use the next few hours to make it look less disgusting?

To be fair they technically do block the arrows, but the arrows decouple the plates on impact for some reason.

it has a 20mm MG for the coaxial

i like the soviet aesthetic

what am i looking at

wizard penguin boots

Thats a wizard, clad in some penguin shoes and equipped with a pouch of spider and a holstered blue-ringed octopus, vomiting a rainbow into a skull cup, while he relaxes on a spider.

duh dude.

>soviet aesthetic
It doesn't look Soviet.

It looks like the bastard child of a Christie tank, a German mockup turret and some horribly disgusting suspension that emerged after a very drunk and embarassing event between a French and American design team.

Looks like German wunderwaffe autism

>a holstered blue-ringed octopus
A well-known sign among wizards that one means business.

me in 20 years

>holstered blue-ringed octopus,
Nothng says you're in control of a situation like CQC with a davey croket

If I sealed off that tube, would he die?

Serb goes where?

idunno all he told me was that it might hurt a bit

But he is a small guy

Doctor Goldfish rejected our offer in favor of yours, we had to find out what he told you

Is that Vanillaware concept art?

I sure hope that the plan for OMGWTFBBQ is to let AI ships warp, too, and to let players build inhibitors.

Must be a recent change unless I'm mistaken.

Up your ass.

So you're ten?

no
I'm on hrt.

ur not /egg/

Fuck you.

damn i wish i was an egg

WTF's ost is comfy as fuck.

Sounds like somewhere between Firefly's OST and the NC's faction music from Planetside 2.

So naturally it's comfy as fuck.

TIL WTF's heavy mounts have fucking walkways on them.

The only thing I could think the dev could add to the game is a loli/jail bait side kick/crew member to pomf=3 in ther private quarters that's hard to find at first.

wew

>The only thing
I'd like to see functioning AI and AI for enemy ships that actually do something other than spin in place. Probably couldn't tolerate the dev's ""writing"" """"ability"""" if applied to jailbait.