/domg/ Dominions General

Mythological Waifus Edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes over a period of over 10 years.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/
s7.zetaboards.com/Dom3mods/topic/1273970/1/
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ModalVerbs
s7.zetaboards.com/Dom3mods/topic/1274062/1/.
dropbox.com/s/5auildk94fvgays/EAArcania.7z?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/bhhtj4eito2w83p/MAPyrgdor.7z?dl=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Real Previous Pantokrator:

second for sauromatia

ok my friends, I'm almost done with the DasTactic videos. What Nation do I begin with for my first game? I'm not looking for any crazy blood magic, water breathing shit. Just humans and mages, please.

Arco is the most bog-standard tier nation if you're looking for a mix between humans and mages.

Rus, Vanarus, or Bogarus, my friend. :^)

There Isn't really a noob nation. Just pick one that looks cool, you'll have the most fun that way.

EA/MA/LA Arco, MA Ulm, and MA Man are your best bets.

MA Ulm and EA Agartha are pretty strong and noob friendly nations.

>First love
EA Caelum. I loved them for a bit and then found out that I kinda hate playing with scaredy flier troops, even though their mages are awesome.
>Interesting but you suck at
LA Bogarus, man they have so much cool stuff, but you really have to be on top of things for it all to fire off, and think many turns ahead. I'm not good at that. I won my first game, but that was because I was fighting AI only after turn 20 when I killed Man's shitty snek.
>Play well but you don't find interesting
None really. I've only played like 20 games though, so I may find one yet.
This.
Not this.

I don't think it's going to matter all that much for his first game

>tfw 1.6mb turn file
Scared to look.

Jesus christ I am retarded.

How would you fix Mekone?

Someone is casting Illwinter in the game that I'm in. Are the wolf attacks sacred Jotun wolves? Should I be worried? I'm playing a trash scales nation so I'm not relying on the gold income from my territory but I don't want to lose magic sites to random attacks.

bats fucked you

I think Uruk is the simplest nation. You can train some solid faction troops anywhere, you get the cheapest commanders and put them in every province to teach you how to ferry troops, and in case you fuck up and lose your pretender, you get elegists to quickly call him back.

Polemarches 3 commpoints, fortrec.
Delete Archons. Ephor get 2 unlinked randoms, same paths, so about the same cost, but fortrec.
Make Perioeci and Helote peltasts not basically the same unit, except one is a slave. Not sure how i'd go about that, offhand.

Doesn't hurt flavour too much, since archons and basileus are really quite similar (except basileus are actually useful) and I think that's really all they need to make their retarded unrest events/passive worthwhile, thug-troops and great mages (I mean, it is the era of the mage).

Uruk is absolutely not the simplest. They have tons and tons of options in terms of recruitment, research, and pretender design. Newbies will get analysis paralysis, even if it might seem simply to you, I think your perspective might be a bit skewed.

It's a communion nation which makes huge use of crystal matrices to snag buffs and strong spells off of their low paths.
It's kinda overdone actually, IMO. But I love that kind of nation anyway.

How to fix Yomi

>Hannya now have N2
Makes that ridiculous 12 gem cost actually worth it

>Spirit Form now passively removes afflictions
They can regenerate their entire bodies, why not body parts?

Put messenger boots on your flying thug today!

I mispoke. I meant Ur (EA). Might not change your points though.

No communions, but still a lot of options, and their troops are not nearly as great as Uruk's (Maidens, Iron Warriors, Royal Guards all rock, then you have armoured rec-anywhere lineholders). You still get rec-anywhere shit, but they really feel the size 3.

>Someone is casting Illwinter in the game that I'm in
It's me.

>Are the wolf attacks sacred Jotun wolves?
There are all sorts of attackers up to real giants. none are sacred/blessed as far as i know. the jotun wolves have regen tho.

>Should I be worried?
you sound worried

>I'm playing a trash scales nation so I'm not relying on the gold income from my territory but I don't want to lose magic sites to random attack
There are globally only a few attacks per turn. jack up PD or actually protect valuable sites. or don't and maybe nothing will ever happen. if you're already in a gem economy and aren't agartha it's probably more of a boon to you than everyone else.

>tfw choosing between the points of an immobile pretender and the ability to wear boosters

Usually the higher paths of the immobile will make up for it, but if you just want to cast ALL THE THINGS then a rainbow is probably your best bet.

Loving the game so far, went Marignon. Didn't finish all of the tutorial videos but I have a decent grasp of what's going on. A couple questions:

1) Most broadly, what should I be doing right now? As far are building more troops go..I'm continuously building more priests to research magic and building pikeman/crossbowmen/paladins to strengthen my army. With said army I'm fuckin' shit up.

2) What is end game? Killing the enemy god? Getting the Thrones of Ascension? How do I get the Thrones of Ascension?

3) Is there a way to build temples/barracks/whatever the buildings are in this game in order to build my faction units in provinces that are NOT my starting province? Otherwise I find myself building units and commanders in my starting province and sending them onward. If this is how the gameplay is for Marignon that's fine.

What else should I be doing? I'm researching Construction right now...would like to do something with this mass of fire gems I have. Would like to make an army of fire mages

also i love to play my own music while playing games like this, no need to because the music is fantastic and completely sets the mood.

Nazca AI, Ermor soon.

you're so new it's adorable

1. if you're playing single player just play around with magic and scripting spells and formations.

2. win condition is almost always taking the thrones of ascension

3. you capture them with any H3 priest (holy 3) or your god, keep in mind anyone you make a prophet instantly becomes H3

really this is the kind of game you can have 1000 hours in and still be learning new things and for sure always learning new strategies in every game in multiplayer

and this is your best friend larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

Technically wiping all enemy nation's off the face of the Earth will also win the game, it's just not all that feasible.
3. You use commanders to build them. Mages for labs, commanders with holy magic for temples, and anyone for forts.
Also constructing things costs gems, so it's a good idea to send mages to (S)earch provinces when you feel you can spare them.

Constructing forts (and labs and temples for mages and sacred/holy units respectively) will let you recruit some faction-specific troops, though some (usually the strong mages or sacreds) are capital-only. Some nations even have units that they can recruit only in specific places like in forests, in caves, on coasts, underwater, or pretty much any other terrain type. I don't think there's anything with Farm Recruit, though.

Honestly I'd love to see the jap nations get a few more unique summons or troops- there's all sorts of youkai who could have neat gimmicks.

I'm pretty new myself. I've played a ton of single player but haven't tried MP yet but I guess I can answer the basics.

1. Expansion is your first priority. With an awake expanding pretender (like your red dragon) people tend to aim for 16 provinces and a second fort in the first year (year 0). Not quite possible on a small 2 player map like the one you're playing on.

2. Claiming the thrones is usually the win condition. If one throne is in a really tough place for you to take (like underwater), you might find it easier to capture all of your opponent's provinces. If you're opponent has turtled like hell, you might want to domkill them instead (build and defend temples all around their territory and wait for them to lose their dominion completely, which will eliminate them).

3. A commander can construct forts. That will let you train most of your factions units where the fort is. A temple can be built by a sacred commander and is required to train your sacred units. A lab can be made by and commander who knows a magic path (like fire or whatever) and is required to train your mages. Some of your troops can only be trained out of your capital, though.

I suggest researching all of the schools other than blood magic evenly for your first few games so you can learn what your options are. Keeping your combat mages (which you should have a few of with every serious army) supplied with gems is a good idea. Mages will win you victories, even if it isn't always obvious how they're helping you.

Based on your map, after you've claimed the throne that's in your territory, you should probably build a couple of big armies, with your pretender in one and your prophet in the other. Have each army fight their way to the remaining 2 thrones and claim them for the win.Trying to capture an enemy's capital can have some nasty unforeseen circumstances.

I'd argue that researching evenly is a pretty bad idea that will get you killed. Sure, you shouldn't worry about planning your research too much, or focus on grabbing some high-level spell at the expense of all other paths, but you should generally pick a short term goal and go for it. Core battlemagic/summons are very important to most nation's survival- MA Agartha lives and dies on it's national summons, Caelum is mediocre at best without all it's assorted lightning, and Death nations struggle without the proper skeleton-spamming spells.

You can beat the AI without using any magic at all if you're playing a nation with decent troops. I think he'll be fine.

A word of advice- don't be too afraid of throwing armies at large blobs of militia, they've got trash morale and mediocre stats, and thus tend to flee whenever something with any sort of killing power looks in their direction.

But beware the cavalry!

Oh, yeah, cavalry will fuck you up hard, particularly heavy cavalry. It's a bit less horrific with the advent of simultaneous turns, but still dangerous as all hell.

Oh great. I wonder how I should change my turn to bait that 200+ swarm of supaya into splitting.

Other things to be afraid of/not afraid of- Most of the tribes aren't too scary, though they do often come with low-level mages who can potentially mess you up. The Bone Tribe, though, is hardcore as fuck, with tons of berserkers with solid statlines and excellent weapons.

Amazons similarly have low-level mages and mediocre to decently strong troops alongside some special units, but it's definitely worth grabbing their provinces- you can recruit their mages as well as the units, some of which are sacred.
Barbarians will generally make you take casualties, and tend to be the bane of awake expanders with a few lucky crits. They're very vulnerable to archers, though.

Light and heavy infantry are essentially Militia+, nothing to be too afraid of unless there's something scary with them or you have absolute crap for troops.
Dark Bramble provinces have a tendency to fuck you sometimes, but Bloodhenge Druids can break you into blood magic if you're into that.
Lizards aren't too tricky, and their shamans have Astral 1 and Nature 1, which can let you communion into higher-level Nature and Astral spells.

>Lizards aren't too tricky, and their shamans have Astral 1 and Nature 1, which can let you communion into higher-level Nature and Astral spells.
Their shamans also can throw curses around which is a major bad thing to have on a combat pretender.

Ah, yeah, that's definitely worth noting. Curses are forgettable on troops, but they're the bane of any one-man-army.

this was fun in my test games. its too bad the blood bond wont help my thugs

Even with few hundred hours in the game this will be the first time I'll need to put some golems out in playfield.
What would be anti-undead cookie cutter golem?
Fire brand, vine shield and something else?

some form of resist cold
chill auras on undead are pretty common

You dealing with active skelespam, or large numbers of permanent undead?

active skelespam

C H A R C O A L S H I E L D

Just deploy them in pairs with less gear

charcoal shield and fire brand or lava mace
add hat of smiting for giggles and elites

What's a good map for 9-10 players? Or should I host using a random map?

Random is the way to go until the pool is expanded, though they are ugly as sin. You can use cartographic revision for better looking but still relatively balanced maps.

A couple more tips:

)3 PD is ideal. Don´t go crazy putting more in every province, because it´s mostly pointless. It´s there to prevent scouts from taking provinces. An army or a unit able to kill 10 PD will also likely take up to 30 PD

)Game is huge, take things slow. Marignon is a good starting nation. Focus first on military power and just try whatever random shit you want with your mages. The different parts of the game that you have to familiarize yourself with are: troops (stats, formations), building new castles (when and where), sitesearching with mages to find magic sites that generate gems, research priorities for the nation you´re playing (a quick google search will help you there), most used spells, most used magic items, magic boosters.

Sounds like a lot, but it happens relatively fast. Just play around with something and check something new when you feel comfortable.

>Main rule of thumb is, rhoughly, to have about 12 provinces and a castle already under construction by turn 12. Some nations do better, some nations do worse, but that´s a good ballpark for your early development.

>Read the manual. It´s like 30 pages of actual info that you need to know.

>If you´re playing singleplayer to learn before you jump on multiplayer, don´t wait too long. The AI plays horribly and will teach you many vices. A couple singleplayer games are enough. Just jump in a PBEM.

>MAGE SUPPORT. A few mages can make a HUGE difference in any battle, specially from turn 15-20 onwards.

>read OP. The Inspector is EXTREMELY helpful

>Ask here as much as you want, we´re generally a very helpful community

Just one more thing:

As Marignon you can mass crossbowmen very easily. You might also have noticed already that ranged troops aren´t particularly good at killing.
Try to combine a huge mass of crossbowrmen, bowmen, and whatever else you can gather with the spell Flaming Arrows. Use the inspector if you don´t know where to find it.

How's the new Thunder Whip compare to Brands? AoE 1 3 Chaining 3 AN seems like it might actually make a workable thug weapon. Especially when you factor in that what doesn't die likely gets stunned from shock.

Old Dom4 maps works OK for Dom5 games, it's just there is no winter animation on them, but who honestly cares?
But other story is that I don't now how llamaserver will react if you try to play old maps with the new game. well, you can try any way and see what happens.

The random map generator is really quite good, honestly. You do have to generate a few times to get something workable, then no-start it manually, but at least it's not as crap as carto-revised with fixed starts and clustered high-income farms.

Just to mention it:

Making any commander with no H at all, H1 or H2 your prophet will turn them into a H3.

Making a H3 or higher commander your prophet will give them +1H instead.

I´ve played a couple games with Dom4 maps, just by copying them into Dom5 map folder.

Everything´s fine, there´s just no winter overlay.

Only played blitzes, though. Can´t confirm if llama will be OK with it, but it´s probably worth a try..

How do you no-start a map and why must it be done? Never fiddled with maps before.
I might just pick one of the random maps already uploaded to llamaserver.

Modnat game when?

I can substitute in 1 game for almost any nation (but preferably the one I never played in MP) in almost any state (something beyond terrible will be a let down).
So if there is an admin looking for substitution check the /v/anheim steamchat. I am going to be there today from time to time.

Never, obviously.

Very soon. I just have to decide which map to use.

You could try making one with s7.zetaboards.com/Dom3mods/topic/1273970/1/

Most people despise Cartographic Revision, it seems. I'd rather use the vanilla random map generator. It's hard to fill a game with players as is.

You generate the map in the generator until it looks right for the nations which are in the game.
Things to look for:
>Water provinces per UW player 2 or 3 below land provinces per land player
>Caves/mountains/forests/swamps/wastes available if terrainrec nations or heavily terrain-dependant nations are in game
>Interesting chokepoints(rivers, mountains, UW distribution)
>Watch out for major terrain clumping except sea/deep sea/kelp forest, mountain/border mountain, and forest clumping, no other terrain should be appearing in huge quantities and the random gen has a tendency to clump a bunch of _low income_ small farms together, which is weird as those provinces suck a lot, but not the end of the world.

Then no-starting is a matter of opening up the editor and going through, province by province, and selecting provinces with 3 or less connections that will work in any temperature(so don't count greyed, river, or land/uw connections). These mainly happen around mountains, rivers, lakes, and seas. You can also no-start provinces that gen with ridiculous amounts of connections, but that's not so important.
Sometimes the random gen makes utterly bizarre connections that don't work visually at all, so that may be worth your time to fix, but it's not a big deal.

That's generally the most important stuff that I look for when making random maps for MP.

Someone did post a tool for automatically no-starting provinces on maps, but I don't have the link for that, if an user would oblige however, that would take a lot of work out of the process.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm drunk. Good luck generating your own maps, friend!

Thanks! This sounds like something I could easily mess up, so I will resort to using an already uploaded map. But I will keep your guidelines in mind for the future.

I also forgot, should events be Common or Rare?

But anyway, here is the game.
llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ModalVerbs
The page might say that the game does not exist, but that's normal for new games on llama, afaik.

I'm expecting 9-10 players and reserving 3 slots for MA mod nations. If you want to use Warhammer mods, use Sombre versions. First come, first serve. And please, if you are playing a mod nation, provide feedback for the author after the game.

What nation in Dominions is similar to Finland?

>I'm expecting 9-10 players and reserving 3 slots for MA mod nations.
Dunno user you might want to just make it all mod nations, both because vanilla players will complain about mod nations being OP, and because there's gonna be like 50 people wanting to play modnats and only 3 slots (that and you know someone is gonna go turbobless Mictlan and rush a mod nation so that he has to wait months for the next modnat game).

People here hate it. Goons love that shit though.
Common. Misfortune is already free points, you don't want to reward that by making events more rare.

Full modnation game are very hard to host. It's difficult to have more than 5 players, there's always some ID conflict that you forget to resolve. With only 3 slots it's unlikely that there will be any conflicts at all. And seeing how mod nations play out against vanilla nations and not other mod nations is a good way make the nations more balanced, isn't it?

EA Rus unironically.

Where do we sign up for mod nations? Do we just send a pretender in or do we actually reserve the nation so we get time to test it before making a pretender?

You sign up in the thread, and I upload the mod and add it to the list. This should not affect vanilla pretenders already sent in.

>doing a modnations game with user nation selection before pretender submission
Oh boy.

I'll take Arcania from s7.zetaboards.com/Dom3mods/topic/1274062/1/. I'll start working on a pretender now and send it in soon.

Also since I'm very torn between a few, if someone else wants it I am up for discussion (assuming the other ones I want to try aren't already taken, I'm up for letting someone else have Arcania if they really want it).

This is a modpack, so it will take some time to cut out only the required nation. There's two ways to go about it - you do it yourself and make a pretender with your version, or you wait until tomorrow for me to do it, then I upload Arcania, and then you make a pretender. What shall we do?

I can do the cutting, I'll get on it in a few minutes.

If someone else wants a nation from that mod you guys could just include the whole pack, really.

Acknowledged.
But then some other nation might have conflicts with unused parts of the modpack and cause shit to blow up.

dropbox.com/s/5auildk94fvgays/EAArcania.7z?dl=0
Done, seems to work fine without issues, included the sprites and all that stuff as well so people don't have to download the nation pack.

Thanks!
But isn't that EA Arcania?

Yeah my bad, I forgot to specify I meant EA Arcania in . Didn't bother including the MA and LA versions as it seemed unnecessary for the current application, leaves more IDs free too so less chance of conflict.

B-but I wanted to only use MA nations. EA nations have different forts, different gem incomes, and are in general balanced in regards to other EA nations.

Wait shit just realized the game is MA, so that has to be changed in the .dm. Is it fine if I alter it to be in MA?

Well in that case I'll be back later, gonna go look around for MA nations.

>Wait shit just realized the game is MA, so that has to be changed in the .dm. Is it fine if I alter it to be in MA?
I'd rather not have that for better playtesting environment. Sorry about that, you did a lot of work to cut the nation out. But I will probably host similar games for EA and LA too in the near future, so the file might still be useful.

Hey 18playersadmin are you here? Could you set the timer for the game to 48 hours please?

>you did a lot of work to cut the nation out
Nah took me like 10 minutes at best, this modpack is nicely organized so you can easily rip out nations. Having hosted natgen games before, this is heaven compared to merging two batches of natgen nations for a game.

Also I think I'll just pick Pyrgdor from the same modpack, I've ripped it out and uploaded it: dropbox.com/s/bhhtj4eito2w83p/MAPyrgdor.7z?dl=0

Will do.

>Also I think I'll just pick Pyrgdor from the same modpack, I've ripped it out and uploaded it: dropbox.com/s/bhhtj4eito2w83p/MAPyrgdor.7z?dl=0
Uploaded it to llama. You can send in your pretender now.

Game: 18Players1System
Turn number 36
Next turn due: 18:08 GMT on Tuesday February 27th

Abysia 2h file received
Agartha 2h file received
Arcoscephale 2h file received
>Helheim Waiting for 2h file
Kailasa 2h file received
Unexpected Nation 2h file received
Mictlan 2h file received
Niefelheim 2h file received
R'lyeh 2h file received
Therodos 2h file received
Tir na n'Og 2h file received

Last updated at 12:29 GMT on Monday February 26th
Current time: 12:30 GMT

>Assuming that's me
I got work in like 5 minutes. I can't keep doing 24hr timer.

Is 1WorldGame TC here? I wish to collude with you, land based heterosexual..

>name and shame
>they do their turn
beautiful

What are some good anti-skelly spells/items/strategies for lategame?

I've got access to most types of magic but my undead opponent has a huge lead on me in terms of provinces and armies, so ideally I want stuff that can wipe out lots of skellies at once.

Do heat auras stack? So if I have 5 units with hear aura around the enemy, will that result in more effect?

Yes.

Earthquake, firestorm, fire elemental spam, cleansing waters, wither bones, solar brilliance (can be risky), acid storm (very dangerous)
If it's just longdead being carted around you can probably make thugs that are effectively immune to skeletons