/utg/ - Undertale General

Doubt Edition

Previous Timeline: →

Spoilers ahead, proceed at your own Frisk.

-The Game
>store.steampowered.com/app/391540/
>undertale.com/
>store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/undertale/cid=UP3893-CUSA08801_00-TFSHVCUTPS400084
>fangamer.com/products/undertale-ps4-vita

-The Demo
>undertale.com/demo/

-Artbook
>pastebin.com/1MRmU0Gk

-Booru
>under.booru.org/

-Recommendbin
>pastebin.com/fsqd5Sa6

-Writebin
>pastebin.com/UCr5qFpc

-Fangamebin
>pastebin.com/ZHASpj9h

-Steam Group
>steamcommunity.com/groups/undertalegen

-Flockdraw
>flockmod.com/undertale

-Zeemap
>zeemaps.com/map?group=1873782

-Shimejibin
>pastebin.com/YFEGhgxY

-Fic Recommendations
>undertale-fic-recs.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

>took 3 minutes to get first post

as someone who use to daily every /utg/ thread years ago, what happened to you guys? has this general died that much?

We've only got one game to work with from like, two years ago, and none of us have the sheer autism that /ksg/ has to keep a dead topic running forever.

man i sure do love undertale i wish that everynight i could have a sans unertale ryub my butt so that iu could sleep. since prestieging in the gmae i have been unable you sleep you see. I have been wracked with the qyuestion, what IS in the box at the end of Untdertal? Some people thiks it's gator, aome people think it's undin's demertiantion. Who really, knows, all i know is that I would like the snas to rub my butt to sleep.

i love snabs

There's far more of us, actually. IP counts are in the steady 70s and 80s. Six months ago we would be luck y to break 50. We're all still here and then some. it's just that most aren't posting as frequently. Many have mid-terms to worry about. A lot of us (including me) are at Uni or college and are often swamped with coursework.

Undertale and cuphead have bullshit hitboxes

I would have been posting, but my internet just came back up from being knocked out for a few days.

>far more of us
>70s and 80s

oh man, a new /utg/ let's rock it!

That's a lot more than 40 or 50
Much less than initial release and the eight months that followed, but a regrowth from the 2017 lull. A few older posters have come back as well.

Guys, i feel like the community as a whole may be dieing. Is there anything that can be done to save it? I'd like to hear your thoughts, as we weather these troubled times together.

Goat

Children

There's still a Silmarillion fandom user, and its active. DOOM has lived on for years thanks to mods and WADs, and that community is still thriving.
And while it wanes in the west, the fire's still hot in the east for Undertale, and even when that cools down, there will always be a love for the story and characters sufficient enough to guarantee that the fans will (and already hove) outlive the trend
There's nothing to worry about

yes, but what does it mean?

I knew I shouldn't unsubscribe from the thread as long as it's still alive!

It means we'll never be as big as we were in October of 2015, but that doesn;t mean it's died out completely, nor will it. In fact there's some benefits to being somewhat smaller. The thrills and novelties of en-masse funposting and wild behavior can be fun, but after a while it gets grating. Riding a rollercoaster ten times in a row has a way of wearing down its thrilling effects, and each drop and loop becomes more and more monotonous. Now we're on the teacups and the safari boats, talking one with another, relaxing. Slow comfort may not always be exhilarating, but it is more welcoming. There's not as big of a line for the river ferry as there is for the Roller Coaster, but it's easier to relax this way.

So maybe if we all put in a concerted effort to provide something new to the community, maybe some fanart and fresh OC's we could potentially bring about a new life to the general?

I don't think we have to die, at the very least we don't have to go quietly.

Definitely! College may be bogging m down, but after finishing Doomtale, I'll be open for both art requests and story requests, at least when mid-terms and insane projects aren't keeping me pinned. IRL distractions excluded, I see no reason why we can't all draw and write, and even code together

/utg/ died ages ago, and I only come back once I've been drinking. (which is often.)
Some nights are still cozy, but that's mostly on the weekends. I know how you feel, though. Hitting the image limit in under an hour. The frantic rush to hit the bump limit so we could start a new thread. Getting all the regulars you could spot just by their typing style.
It's melancholic.

But can the Spider explain why time has shifted out of order AND also team up with Doctor Gaster to fix the time distortion before the multiverse implodes AND make the super important cupcakes for the baby spider orphanage bake sale!?

Take a guess of what this is.

Chara making cherry pie in the dark

I am curious

I don;t think anyone answered my question from earlier.
Can an Animal's intent to do harm hurt a monster?

yes it can hurt a monster if the intent was to kill. and with animals being territorial or hungery the intent is there. also cute boi

I was just wondering, seeing as how their intent to do harm stems form a more simple and primitive well than the complex emotions felt by humans when faced with most similar situations. I cited a spider with only mild venom biting when mistaking a monster's hand for prey. That spider can't really feel things like betrayal or hatred or anything else a sapient personage might feel when attempting to kill something. Would an otherwise innocuous bite from a hungry, but mistaken tarantula kill a monster?

Monsters aren't impervious so they'd get hurt at least, but I think the killing intent would be debatable. An animal might want to kill, but it's usually a mix of necessity and fear, without the ability to consider any morality.

Maybe?
There is literally no way to know

Anyone here play the game Iji? How do you think that game handled pacifist/normal/genocide routes compared to Undertale?

>Iji
never heard of it

indieshit

It was kind of neat how the plot changed up a bit in the beginning if you didn't kill nobody but all in all it wasn't all that mindblowing considering you still go through the same basic plot and fight all the same bosses and all that
Also IIRC you could still kill enemies by using the barrier thing to bounce their attacks back and it didn't count as a kill which is kind of gaming the system a little
Having Iji's personality change up a bit depending on the route you're on was a pretty nice touch though, as was being able to skip the last fight with the rival I forget the name of which

So is undertale
So is it good indieshit?

oxymoron

good things don't exist
try to name a single good thing

You and I on a date

vegene

(You)

I played Iji and I love it, but it's hard for me to say whether it did pacifism better than Undertale. Each game has their own advantages and disadvantages.

In Iji:
-Pacifism is harder compared to fighting due to the game genre. Which makes the changes and benefits of the pacifist route feel more earned.
-There's a sense of moral ambiguity regardless of route, and therefore, less moralising. There isn't really a genocide route [(Even though your actions can be the catalyst of the genocide of the Tasen, it's hard to blame you enirely for it) just darker and lighter neutral routes, and a pacifist route.
-Iji, as a character is easier to sympathise wwith than Frisk and I'm saying that as a Friskfag. Her suffering and hesitation are front and centre in the narrative. Even in the killing routes, she's ultimately just a scared girl in a hopeless situation trying to fight for her life and for her species.

In Undertale:
-the characters as a whole are a better, more likeable and memorable, and you get more opportunities to get to know them.
-the story and lore is easier the absorb, compared to Iji which has most of it hidden in some long-winded logbooks that are difficult to read when there's a firefight going on around you.
-has more of a difference in the endings in the pacifist route. In Iji, all endings are bittersweet at best. Undertale lets you get a truly happy ending
Asriel notwithstanding.

To sum it up, I really love both games, so it's hard for me to say which one is better. I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.

Wrong previous timeline.

Here's the right one

Totally intentional, a clever allegory of how the fandom forgets about Papyrus.

Okay. I apprecitae the gesture. But some people might still want a link to the actual previous thread.

How will Undertale be like 10 years from now?

Spoken of fondly in the trenches of the AAA battlefield, while we're waiting and hoping enemy forces don't get a mortar in their lootbox

>implying the western AAA industry won't crash by then

what do you think will cause the war in the first place?

what the fuck kind ofquestion is that

A question which a person with a teeth-pulling fetish might ask.

>teeth pulling fetish
I hate dentists

Motherfucker, i have photophobia and those shitty lights always made fucking Niagara out of my eyes

I love how nips draw him wearing the crown literally everywhere

That's Chinese

Goat peed himself.

Think of a minor Undertale character.
How do they react when they are fired from their surface job because of a fraudulent customer complaint filed by an anti-monster group?

>alphys
Probably get mad and eat a bunch of kids

I can't believe Undyne is going to jail for statutory rape

u wot m8

>Undyne will never /ss/ you
we had a butch lesbian PE teacher that i wanted to /ss/ me so fucking hard

I want to have Asgore pics collection.
cause obviously he is the best character in the whole game
Any Dadfag willing to share his?

It's too bad she's only into /ll/

>blood

Literally the only character to canonically leak red fluid

>undertale '''fans'''
>not knowing sans is omniscient
Zzzzzzz

>undertale "fans"
>not knowing sans is canonically gay for (You) the player, and wants you to plow his ecto booty

that's why it's a fancomic, they wanted to depower him a little.

fanon Sans is basically the worst periods of Superman

Undyne/Reader fanfiction is fine, Alphys wrote plenty of it

I can't believe Sans broke the barrier by sneezing and then used his Sansperspeed to fix it before anybody noticed

Undyne/Reader fic where Undyne gets help for her dyslexia

what kind of fanfiction do you think Alphys writes

Alright user! You just got selected to go on a date by your favorite monster. But you also have to juggle another date with your least favorite monster.

How well does it go, what happens?

Sexual fics about Undyne and maybe some threesomes with some cute big hunky lesbian.

You know something to get her juices flowing

Come now, you know she didn't just write about women

She canonically writes about her sharing a loving domestic life with Undyne

I don't get why Swap!Napstablook looks like that. I mean, the backwards had and the sans hoodie isn't the style I'd imagine for someone like Napstablook.

Blooky seems like he'd have a more 'dapper' look and feel as a DJ.

Because Underswap never really managed to decided whether they're just swapping place or personalities as well, so it's just all over the fucking place. I don't mind it though, Blooky is actually one of the few US designs I kinda like.

Underswap IS all over the place. It seems like someone just got the idea at random, and went out to draw it, but they didn't think it through enough and so things got weird and off the rails pretty quickly.

The whole situation with how Frisk, Chara, Asriel, and Flowey are swapped makes no sense. Frisk and Chara are already just two sides of the same individual, thematically, so swapping them is just swapping the human with themself. And it breaks the timeline because why is Frisk in the past and Chara in the future? Though that could theoretically be explained away with, like, a time rift opening upwhen hey were falling down. I don't know.

And why is Asriel swapped with Monster Kid while Flowey is swapped with Temmie?! TEMMIE?! What bizarro backwards logic do you have to be running on in order to come to that?!

The funny thing is now you're going the opposite way of thinking way too in-depth and literally. I'm pretty sure that when Chara and Frisk are swapped you're not supposed to think of a time warp or anything, just purely a "what if event X happened before/after event Y".

>And why is Asriel swapped with Monster Kid while Flowey is swapped with Temmie?! TEMMIE?! What bizarro backwards logic do you have to be running on in order to come to that?!

By the time you reach that, you probably should be able to tell that this really isn't meant to be serious.

I'm a guy that likes patterns, and connections between things, and everything tying together into a bigger picture.

Swapping Sans with Papyrus, Undyne with Alphys, and Toriel with Asgore, that's a pattern. Mettaton with Napstablook follows that pattern as well.

Frisk with Chara doesn't follow that pattern. Swapping Frisk and Chara works better for an AU where ONLY they are swapped and the rest of the Underground is in the same places, to see how Frisk in Chara's place would radically effect the current state of the Underground.

If you're gonna swap Sans with Papyrus, Tori with Asgore, etc, then Frisk and Chara should be swapped with Flowey and Asriel, because that is what aligns with the pattern. Temmie should be swapped with Toby, the Annoying Dog. Anything else doesn't make sense.

Man, you would utterly despise something like Boatmurdered.

....the heck is that?

Originally a Dwarf Fortress thing, but it found it way into writing circles. You start a story with whatever premise. Person 2 gets your chapter (or save in DF's case, but no notes or plans), and continues it. Person 3 only gets the second chapter (once again no notes or plans) and continues it from. Rinse and repeat with however many people are participating

The end result is pandemonium.

>It seems like someone just got the idea at random, and went out to draw it,
That's literally what happened
Some guy had the idea, then drew a picture with all the characters, and then it somehow became its own fandom of endless skeleton incest

The spider a cute! CUTE!!!

Of course! As you know, cuteness can fix anything! Even if the anti-cute mess up time and steal the cupcakes there is always a solution!