History Podcasts

Lets recommend some history podcasts that Dan Carlin and Mike Dunkin didn't make.
> The Fall of Rome Podcast
This is a realtively new podcast but I think it has potential to be great. A real historian is taking time to go over his area of expertise. His view is a somewhat more nuanced than most podcasters.
>The British History Podcast
Long Narrative through British History. It spends a good deal of time on lesser known history and makes a point of being clear on sources. The podcaster is an insufferable cunt though.
>When Diplomacy Fails
A very wlecomed look at the diplomacy that surrounds many of the most famous wars. The podcaster is somewhat knowledgeable and its focus on diplomacy is a welcomed change from most podcasts. The best is his series on the July crisis.
>Lesser Bonapartes
A funny and relaxed look at various history topics through histroy. They treat histroy like they are reviewing their favorite movie. It has fallen in recent monthes with the replacement of one if their hosts.
>The History of China Podcast
A history that reminds very much of the History of Rome so it has many of same strengths and weaknesses. This will focus primarily on the going ons of the imperial dynasties.
>History of English Podcast
Interesting language podcast not much else to say.
>History of the Great War
A very in depth look at the various events going on during the great. It doesn't go through history linearly but rather focuses on specific events and parts of the war at one time.
>Ottoman History Podcast
A collection of lectures by professors on any subject vaguely related to the Ottoman Empire.
>Wittenburg to Westphalia
A somewhat disorganized podcast that has of up to the this point been primarily about the early middle ages, and Holy Roman Empire. I think this one can be done better but it is still worth taking a look.

Other urls found in this thread:

maximumfun.org/shows/sawbones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

more humanities than his but definatley check out
>youarenotsosmart
He talks alot about fallacies and thought experiment shit, pretty cool

> The Heritage Podcast
The tag line is "a complete liberal arts education in podcast form".

This is my favorite podcast right now. Start from the beginning of everything and move forward chronologically exploring the history of civilizations, literature, scientific and philosophical thought.

It's a pretty ambitious goal, but he's 50 episodes in and the podcast is super high quality. Can't recommend this strongly enough.
>Ancient Greece Declassified
Just random stories about Ancient Greece.
It's only 3 episodes in but it seems pretty good. Interview with Eric Cline in the 2nd episode.

any podcasts that talk about military history/strategy. video podcast (whatever the fuck that's actually called) would be preferred

History on Fire by Daniele Bolelli
Starts with the Roman Servile wars. I enjoy his accent and he's a fantastic teacher.

>While most of the rebel slaves were killed on the battlefield, some 6,000 survivors were captured by the legions of Crassus. All 6,000 were crucified along the Appian Way from Rome to Capua.

holy shit

Surprised no

The History of Byzantium with Robin Pierson. Specifically intended to follow on from The History of Rome, and he's got like 120 episodes done.

We need to put together a sticky like /x/ has that includes podcasts.

that'll be the last time the slaves cross rome lol

history extra and bbc history hour podcasts are gr8 imo
also history of philosophy podcast

i haven't listened to it but i've read the ancient egypt podcast is good

>In Our Time
I hope you enjoy the program. Here comes our producer with coffee or tea.

>The History of Philosophy Without any Gaps
Just started and really enjoying it

>Start from the beginning of everything and move forward chronologically exploring the history of civilizations, literature, scientific and philosophical thought.
Do you mean "I recommend you start from the beginning" or "it starts from the beginning"?

>Ottoman History Podcast

Thanks OP you're not faggot this time.
This one is pretty nice.

Listening to Fall of Rome right now, interesting stuff.

Yeah it's a good podcast about the meme Empire.

Thanks user, this looks pretty interesting

It starts from the beginning. It starts with basic logic and written language, then goes to ancient man and then ancient civilizations. 3 years and 50 episodes in and he's only gotten to the fall of the roman republic

>history podcast
>public domain ditty starts playing

Is there detailed podcast about US history? Something like THOR?

BACK THE FUCK OFF????!!!?!?!

>Naked Bible Podcast

Michael S Heiser PhD historian in biblical studies unpacks the strange and theological world of the bible and its relations to the ancient near east.

I'll check this out. Thanks user

I recommend the History Of Egypt Podcast. Guy is an Egyptologist and takes a deep dive into it all. It started in 2012 and he's still covering the 1400's bc. Updates about twice a month.

Lesser Bonapartes is one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to. The older episodes especially; since the leprechaun librarian left it's been less relaxed/conversational and more typical "edu-tainment," but it's still good. Definitely listen to the older episodes first though; the series on the end of the Bronze Age and the episode about Enrico Dandole are fucking amazing.

My personal favorite is when they said that the Assyrians kinda deserved to be genocided

Well techincally The Teaching Company's lecture series are neither audiobooks nor podcasts, but I feel their format's are very much similar in structure. They are simultaneously for and aren't for beginners. Certainly some lecture series topics are really only beneficial if you have a grasp of the subject in question, certainly what makes the difference between "Great Greeks and Romans" versus "Rome and the Barbarians".

I've listened to about 4-5 of their lecture series, and I absolutely love them. I do not recommend buying them full price, you can usually abuse the Audible free audiobook deals they have to get multiple credits and buy them off of there. I'll give a run-down for the ones I have listened to thus far.

>Alexander and the Macedonian Empire by Kenneth Harl
A very long lecture series that ranges from the battle of Salamis to the Second war of the Diadochi. It takes about 8-9 episodes to get to Alexander proper, but the professor sets up the world of Alexander and the important events that led to why Alexander could do what he did.

>Rome and the Barbarians by Kenneth Harl
A look at the multiple periods of the Roman Empire, and the barbarians that they interacted with. It's mainly about foreign policy of the Romans towards the barbarians, and the cultures of the various barbarians themselves (Arsacid Persia, Celts, Iberians, Steppe nomads, Germans etc), so walk in with some knowledge of a map of Rome.

>Rise and Fall of the British Empire by Patrick N Allitt
The title is a bit misleading yet truthfully honest, it's about the British Empire (her colonies specifically), and never goes beyond the time frames in either direction.It's a bit complicated to follow along. as the narrative flows along a general trend of time, but you will have time jumps back and forth depending on the colony. For example, you may have just finished a episode about the Indian rebellions of 1857, but then suddenly you're thrust back to Canada in the late 1700's.

>The Era of the Crusades Kenneth Harl
A good starting position for those wanting to learn about the Crusades in an unbiased manner (neither claiming muh imperialism nor muh defense against islam).

Honestly anything by Kenneth Harl is just fantastic. Expect a lot of "um"s and "ah"s though.

That picture looks so cumfy

Yeah its a damn shame he changed it to this

>BBC History Extra
Weekly podcast that covers two interviews with two notable historians or intellectuals on an area they are studying or writing about. Good mix of contemporary history, modern history and ancient history. Usually also has a Historical news segment.

Nothing special but worth listening to every week.

>China History Podcast

Fantastic podcast with hours upon hours of content. I prefer the communist era episodes but that could just be my interest. I highly recommend the series on the Cultural Revolution.

>Last Stop To Nowhere

Great Australian history podcast. A bit niche but if your Australian, it's fantastic. I recommend the series on the Rum Rebellion and the Frontier Wars seeing as they somehow don't have time to teach this at school.

>History of Oil

Pretty interesting. The early history of oil mingles with 1800's U.S. history so it's cool seeing the parallels.

>Revolutions

Mike Duncans post-History of Rome podcast. Currently covers five different revolutions; English, American, French, Spainish-American and Hatian.

>Sawbones, a medical tour of misguided medicine
maximumfun.org/shows/sawbones

So it's not all generals and wars and stuff like you'd expect from a history podcast, but it's one of my all time favorite shows.
Not crazy rigorous, but it's always entertaining. The hosts can be extremely funny, and sometimes they have some really good insight about the history of medicine.

Probably my favorite podcast just in general.

The Ancient World by Scott C

The most interesting podcast about the bronze age ever.

Now they're in the roman era but to be honest its a little less interesting since i already listened to the history of rome.

History of England by David Crowther is quite enjoyable. Starts off a bit rough, but he has a reasonable historical method by the time he hits the Normans.

>The podcaster is an insufferable cunt though.
I gave up on that podcast really, really fast because of that. At least in the early episodes he tried to be "funny" or whatever but was just annoying. I remember a really out of place, "haha UKIP am I right" style reference and rolled my eyes. Also is the guy even English or is eh just an Anglophile?

I liked the first few episodes of bloodlines, but grew less interested once the action moved to the Levant. His voice isn't the best either.

Does he still put narrative episodes behind a paywall every so often? I had kind of stopped following that because that kind of annoyed me. If you want to make a little money on your podcast at this point just open a Patreon and be done with it while doing a fundraiser as well and including some things (extras, not anything related to the narrative) for sale.

It's either that or shell out money you don't have. Acoustic Picking 18 is burned into my brain at this point.

None that I know of. If I had the books/time/motivation/sound editing capabilities I've always thought of wanting to do something like that taking a top down (i.e. from the Presidents) approach for ease. Part of the problem is how politicized US history is. It's hard to find any fairly objective material, especially when you start getting into things like western expansion where the majority of the books seem to be "EVIL WHITE MEN OPPRESSED THE POOR NATIVES" and shit like that.

US history is also one I would do simply because I think you need to have some ability to read first hand sources to be serious.

I think he is British, but I would suggest looking at his Anglo Saxon Era stuff and anything that haven't heand about already it makes hime somewhat easier to listen to.

This
Listen to it. Remaining willfully ignorant is bad for you.