/SIMG/ Simulation Games General

Previous thread: Real Life Edition

>DCS: Do not buy M-2000C/NTTR and modules released AFTER those from steam(released after 12th May 2017), because you can't use them in stand-alone.TeamSpeak
ts.artificialanimation.com:7997

>Falcon BMS Alternative Launcher:
drive.google.com/file/d/0B9l8t2itS4vkOHAxa0tKdzI2aEk/view
Your pain setting up controls is over
i.imgur.com/R5bNpo7.png
i.imgur.com/l68Wzlm.png
i.imgur.com/ylhQnWD.png

>Falcon 4, BMS, SF2, real-life flight manuals and field manuals.
mega.nz/#F!r11BxCRC!nC2Rttjjx8WLqvPF-6SYKw
>US Army Manual Index
pastebin.com/m98ZrWpP

>Link to this OP text
pastebin.com/Tsc71yaf

>Steam group
steamcommunity.com/groups/SimulationGamesGeneral

>Repository of various aviation related material
drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B3EQDvufMNdeTUh4SE9WV0txa0E

>Planes pastebin
pastebin.com/Zb0U61in

>Tanks pastebin
pastebin.com/EbdtnyPX

>Boat/Submarine pastebin
pastebin.com/JqTQWFFE

>Strike Fighters 2 For Dummies
pastebin.com/M5JQ2S7A

>Example of welcome games
>Flight Sims
Falcon BMS, DCS: World, Rise of Flight, IL-2, Combat Helo, Microsoft Flight Simulator, X-Plane, Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum, Strike Fighters X
>Driving Games
Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Live for Speed, Euro Truck Sim, Train Simulator, Farming Simulator 201X, DiRT Rally, OMSI 2
>Ground Sims
SAM Simulator, Steel Beasts Pro, Steel Armor: Blaze of War, Graviteam Tactics, Combat Mission
>Submarine Sims
Silent Hunter, Ship Simulator, Cold Waters, Dangerous Waters
>Misc Sims
Command: X, Swat 4

>Example of non-welcome games
Ácé Cómbát, Wár Thúndér, Wórld óf _____, Ármá 1-3, Thé Síms, Sím Cíty, Góát Símúlátór

>Extra attention grabbing search terms
/fsg/ /dcsg/ /fsxg/ /bmsg/ /shg/ /rofg/ /etsg/ /il2g/ /lfsg/ /tsg/ /cwg/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iinOdmaV6N4
steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/527273452873416730/
science.howstuffworks.com/blast-resistant-clothing1.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_wave
nationalinterest.org/feature/russian-super-jet-could-fly-so-fast-it-blew-its-own-engines-16459
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw linked the wrong previous thread

Why can't you fucking shitters keep a thread alive longer than half an hour

Finally finished this scenario. Glad I restarted, after I killed their helicopters and put arty on the ADF I was able to freely use the Bo-105s and they absolutely dominated the Soviets. Killed every unit except two HQs and one Akatsiya

LARS raped the Soviet arty.

Would you recommend this game to someone with a hardon for cold-war-gone-hot scenarios, but hasn't played a turn based stratego in years

Sure. It's honestly not that complicated, you get used to it pretty quickly. It has some issues, like no hold fire command, but overall I really quite like it.

Sure then. It's on sale on steam for $15, I think I will. What about the DLC for $10? Worth it?

So, is there any good surface warship simulator? I spend a lot of time with Silent Hunter, but it gets a bit old eventually

il2 is shit

Yes, absolutely.

Dangerous Waters has surface combat. CMANO.

>don't stay up till 3 in the morning
>thread dies

i-its my first time making a thread user...

did I do alright?? >_

don't use caps, it's simg not SIMG

aaaaaaaaaaaa
sorry user
i'll do better next time I swear

>one BMP fucking lives and ruins the whole thing

did they finally fix cluster munitions?

I haven't tested them all but CBU97's work great, CBU87s however are shithouse

what about BK-90 Mjölnir?

Be not dead

Can I spawn people in mid air in DCS so I can simulate throwing commies from my helicopter?

No

Best chopper, hands down

All choppers deserve love except the gazelle

where's the fucking update

2 weeks

fuck you

What game is this? Do you play the whole game on the map?

I'd be inclined to disagree if the DRM didn't fuck up, though that's more of a problem with the DRM than it is with the module.

They do need to fix the ground effect shit, though

Subsequent viewings of that movie show just how dumb it really is. Barring anything else, the fact that they used A-4 Skyhawks as an aggressor fighter because they were "faster" than the F-14 goes to show how little research the studio did before filming

It was a movie aimed at people who didn't know what an A-4 or even an F-14 was.

How come everyone uses heaters on the Cold War server?

Because all that the entirety of blufor does is troll around below 500m where the fish's radar won't work. If they fly high where Fishbeds can use their radars and thus the R-3R missile, reds get the kill in the head-on nearly every time.

I'm almost solely a fish pilot in that server and I've come to taking 2x R-13M1 for cold targets for the range, and 2x R-60M for dogfights for the maneuverability. I find that doubling up on the R-60s causes too much drag so I've started avoiding that.

Taking advantage of the enemy's weaknesses and doing what's best for you is trolling around now?

So coldwar everyone is fighting in the dirt and the fc3 crowd just want to sit at 30k for enhanced range and radar visibility

where are the fucking updates?

yeah it has been a few weeks since last it seems and there are a ton of issues they need to fix. wtf.

I often think ED has some real 2nd rate members of their team that would not make it at many other dev studios. The guys doing the environment, lighting, f/x. They seem like they are not up to speed on current tech. And their testing is a joke. I mean do these fucks even load up their own sim other than dawn or dusk hours?

Dude is limited by a system made So many years ago. I’m surprised it works as well as it does given the whole thing should have been rebuilt from scratch at least 3 times.

same desu, i doubth any of them took a course in the last 10 years to improve themselves.
And the "third-party devs" arent much better either.

They made a lot of promises for 2018 and 2 full months later they alredy stopped giving a shit.
I honestly doubth they are going to survive this year.

>$50 bonus from work these week
What module should I get?

Get an extra 10 bucks and buy the F-18. It will SOMEDAY be the most complex, detailed and well-made module in DCS, the new flagship.

Or maybe save it for the next big sale and buy two modules

Is VTOL VR allowed here? Not exactly a sim since the vehicles in it are fictional, but given that that's a means to an end (making a plane that's comfortable to fly given VR's current limitations) maybe it gets a pass. The actual gameplay is probably somewhere between arcade and full on simulation.

Preordering? Is that seriously advisable?

rise

wait for the Tomcat
Hornet is for losers

Well you can get it for 60 dollars now or for 80 when it's released. If you really want it and see yourself buying it someday you might as well do it now.

If you don't want it then dunno

ED has a pretty good track record for their modules, I'd say it's pretty safe.

fly

not the harrier thats for sure
>literally fake changelogs

>set throttle to takeoff power
>everyone in the airfield knocked unconscious

take off

*"fucking when" echoes in the distance*

Hey simg, I need a stick for travel.
I was going to buy the VKB later this year when the pro migstick comes in, but I don't plan to lug a 400 dollar joystick with me. What I could do is get the cheap 99 dollar gladiator, instead. Then I would just carry that with me,

What are your thoughts?

good stick

Okay, I'll do it. It's not the pro version, but is that okay?

how 2 drift help

in your case, you don't want the pro cause you would need to lug around rudder pedals of some sort

Good point, thanks.
youtube.com/watch?v=iinOdmaV6N4
Mute the video and try this.

BIG
SEXY

ded

the hind will save simg

Reminder that:
>DCS is a fun sim
>IL-2 is a fun sim

GIVE
I
V
E

seems pretty cool, although I dont want to simulate being a shitskin

>Shitskin simulator 2018
>Have dozens instruments at your disposal

>Can only use one at a time.
>Also all the numbers are changed to alien symbols

>30 posters
Why does Veeky Forums have such bad taste? I thought autists were supposed to like playing with big buttons, knobs, and dials

Veeky Forums is renowned for being a terrible place to discuss video games, and I think we have all the MMORPG And gatcha generals to blame for that.

If we made a DCS thread on /v/, it would easily get 60 posters.

how the fuck do you aim with rockets in the mi-8
what's the point of s-8koms if by the time you're in range to hit accurately you're also within autocannon/mg range

So the answers were: preorder, wait for the f14, and don't buy the harrier.

same with the huey

>bans you from the ED forums

this in addition to HE being a joke in general in DCS

A 500kg bomb landing 10 feet from a Bradley or BMP should blow it away, but instead it survives and doesn't even take damage.

But ive destroyed bmps with a smaller bomb landing ~10 feet away

Fucking this. I've had HE bombs land inside of a target and it doesn't do shit, doesn't even cause them to smoke.
Smaller bomb of what kind? Because DCS bombs aren't all made equal. Some bombs, particularly ones made by third party developers, actually work like they should to some extent (excluding effects from shrapnel, clusters, etc).

mk82

Probably just got lucky then or nicked their hitbox. Tank hitboxes are not the tank itself, that's why things that land inside of the model can miss entirely.
Meanwhile, the barrel of a T-80 is apparently forty feet long.

I have never experienced what you are describing, I either get a direct hit and kill the target or miss by a few feet and get a kill or some damage or none at all depending on target and bomb used.
Im not defending DCS, the explosive force of a few weapons needs tweaking

>Works for me :^)
Okay, but the rest of us are having this problem and have noticed it. Particularly in regards to unguided munitions.

Maybe you are all shit?

Works great in BMS, and IL2, and SF2, and literally every other fucking combat simulator. BMS in particular has some of the best air to ground munitions I've ever seen in a flight simulator.
Maybe you're so uneducated, so used to gulping down ED's cum, that you don't actually know how it's supposed to work?

How should it work then?
Because I am getting kills with unguided weapons and you are not, so educate me.

For one, DCS doesn't even emulate the effects of shrapnel or air pressure differential. it's literally just a shockwave.
For two, if you've ever watched a unit in F10 during a ground attack, you'll notice that it has a health bar
That's fucking dogshit. Tanks don't operate through fucking health bars.

For THREE, every one of these flight sims I've mentioned do damage differently and treat bombs as elastic explosives. IE: They're not just a ball of damage hurtling at a target. Aircraft speed matters. Release point matters. Angle of attack matters. This isn't a JRPG, they don't do fixed amounts of damage to health bars.

All in all it's complete shit.

>I'm getting kills and you're not with my unspecified module and unspecified weapons on unspecified targets ;^)
Educate us, how are you getting kills, on what targets, and what weapons with what modules?

Also the health bars thing is the reason a T-90 can get destroyed by 100 infantry with AK47s, literally Civ 1 combat rules.

i've been playing since DCS: A-10C, i remember when they had to remove Mk20s because they were so broken that they were literally just firecrackers that you dropped. less effective than the training munitions.
steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/0/527273452873416730/

it sounds to me like you got a ccip kill once against a ural and thought "wow i'm hot shit, i guess it must be working great"

actually a mk82 dropped via ccrp on a bmp2

>bmp2
>clearly hit the target within less than two feet
and what's funny is you probably think you're hot shit for doing that.
>1517897905850.webm
Who'd you steal this from?

something I uploaded in an older thread

How does the speed of the aircraft change the damage magnitude/range of an unguided bomb?

science.howstuffworks.com/blast-resistant-clothing1.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_wave

tl;dr: aircraft speed directly imparts kinetic energy to the bomb which increases its penetration and effect radius. picture dropping an egg on the floor vs throwing it on the ground.

The Mig-25's brief stint as a bomber was considered a formidable one because it could drop regular iron bombs at Mach 2 and create enough force to penetrate over 40 feet into the ground and could be dropped from over 50KM away. Turning standard iron bombs of the era into bunker busters.
nationalinterest.org/feature/russian-super-jet-could-fly-so-fast-it-blew-its-own-engines-16459