/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

*blocks your path* edition
Previous jej:
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Corneroids
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>Opus Magnum
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Stormworks
>Skywanderers
>TerraTech

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb rides in CLANGhalla eternal, shiny and chrome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-1Gfc1Iq0GY
sofa-framework.org/
wiki.osdev.org/"8042"_PS/2_Controller#Interrupts
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I WISH THAT I COULD TURN BACK TIME

I wish that empyrion had moving parts

You guys just wait...I'll give up in a week

ded

how hard is it to learn blender?
Last time I looked into 3D modelling the tutorials/guides felt so difficult to follow that I almost felt as if they were designed to force you to pay for a professionally arranged paid course

>he thinks paid courses are worth anything
get a job in the field instead and your employer will train you

I didn't say they were worth anything
just that most times it feels like they purposefully design these programs to be obscure to anyone who hasn't used them for years
probably a misconception though, last time I was in practice was like 8 years ago when I messed about with autodesk inventor

So anyone know when the map will get fixed in factorio?

user don't be a bitch, see that shit through

Progress guy here. Not really sure how to gauge how hard it is because I haven't used any other 3d tools, but I'd say just immerse yourself in it for a week to a month and it will all start to make sense. I've been messing around with it more seriously for the past year and I just learned today that you can grab/rotate/scale on a local axis by pressing the axis button twice (i.e. RMB - G - X - X). I don't think I'll ever fully understand this stuff

just learn freeCAD and engineer it for REAL! It will be the greatest /egg/ ever.

what is the best Zachtronic game in your opinion?

KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People

>employer will train you
>dude just be yourself lmao

dead/egg/

I'm too much of a brainlet to play, understand, or appreciate any of the Zachtronic games. Feels bad.

more /egg/ than machinecraft

I think a game that required you to model your own shit in CAD with the materials available in the game and have the game check for shenanigans would be fun. Kind of a cross between VRchat and besiege or something. So you'd design the powered swastika sawblade and build it out of solid granite but since you didn't account for weight it just snaps off the driveshaft clatters onto the ground.

only if it comes with catastrophic mechanical failure and virtual decapitations/crushings

>catastrophic mechanical failure
that's built in baby

sweet, one step closer to being the chinese factory worker of my dreams

Tfw toaster

I just want a chode with some sort of 4x/grand strategy/resource management layer

last game I actually enjoyed with 4x elements was SWEAW. Last time anyone did it right anyway.

>tfw amd housefire that's barely held together with spit string blood and tears
>tfw if I tweak it just right it runs better than a 7700k

So hold up user, does VR chat have it's own CAD system that idiots can use? Some people still think CAD is hard. Also CAD systems are basically black fucking magic beneath the hood. I've taken a look behind the curtain and the truth made me insane.

>>So you'd design the powered swastika sawblade and build it out of solid granite but since you didn't account for weight it just snaps off the driveshaft
if only user, if only. That requires FEA, unfortunately FEA tends to be slow. Especially if you're doing super special FEA where stuff breaks. It is also difficult to couple FEA with collision detection and physics. I'm having to tell my boss this right now, it's not fun.

Some day user, when the hardware and algorithms get better.(Do not say multiplayer, do not even think of multiplayer.)

You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like.

>So hold up user, does VR chat have it's own CAD system that idiots can use?
You just use unity to rig whatever model you want and then its uploaded to the server so others can see it. I've seen pretty heavily autistic shit on VRchat like some animations and shaders that change based on distance and whatnot. I've also seen people just nail a car to their forhead and drive around and drift. Seen one retard get really into his car roleplaying so he went really fast but ran into a wall, fell down and disconnected as he hit the floor moaning in pain the whole time.

>That requires FEA
haha what
>get density and materials from modeling tool
>or litterally use a dropdown menu
>apply numbers to these with very basic math
>1cm solid cube of aluminum weighs 1 "unit", hollow aluminum cube weighs .1 "unit", for example
>apply number you get at the end of that to the weight of the rigidbody of the model
>join can hold [x] weight
>go over it and it "breaks" (gets disabled)

italian faction soon

>americans didn't ride on tanks
>krauts didn't ride on tanks
>krauts didn't use fences as HEAT defense
its like whoever made this specifically tried to make me upset.

Why not just use the CAD program of your choice for modeling, then export the model to whatever 3d software you want to clean up the tri's and texture it?

Speaking of CAD,
>modeling a hypoid bevel gear for class
>I'm an autist, so all the dimensions have to be equation-driven and perfect
>search online how they're made
>google only returns ads for $4000 solidworks plug-ins or fags asking for $600 to model it
>find some academic papers on different modeling techniques
>'haha, i'll get it now!' says i
>it's nothing but pages and pages of pic related

I think I'll go blow my brains out.

>actually getting hydraulics to work
Literally what wizardry is this, I have never gotten it to work proper without some stupid fuckery

I'm decently experienced with blender excluding the above obviously and I'm regularly in these threads, so if you ever have any questions I'll be glad to answer them in the name of /egg/ and progress. BlenderGuru is a pretty useful YT channel if you want to learn more about rendering specifically, plus he's got some introductory videos for absolute beginners

>get a job in the field and your employer will train you
These days it looks like either you have to be a college student or already have 3+ years of experience and "worked on and released AAA games", with very little in-between.

my eyes litterally cannot focus on this mess and I'm on Dexedrine

Shit like this is why I'm trying to get a job in art rather than engineering, frankly. I like gears and machinery and all that, but I like making them "just work" rather than all the maths that goes into them

>Literally what wizardry is this, I have never gotten it to work proper without some stupid fuckery
easy shit senpai, not sure what your issue is

>job in art
no such thing

we're talking about CAD here user not blocks and shit, you can't figure out where a CAD models gonna break without FEA. FEA tends to run slow. Oh wait I think there was this one open source surgical simulation toolkit that could do FEA in pretty much real time. I mean I think you gotta use a pretty sparse mesh.

Man I hate physicians

just joints that look at weight and torque senpai, like gmod teir shit calm your autism

I know, this shit is pretty radical but will definitely break if I try and import into Ynity as is.

Basically it's a couple of empties parented to a vertex each on the frame. These control the piston which has a dampened track (I think? It was a few hours ago) constraint pointing to the opposite empty. Then an armature which moves the frame. The cylinder and piston follow the empties, and there's a copy rotation constraint for the piston and cylinder against the bones. But as I said, I will probably have to re-rig it unless I can work some Unity magic

common? Looks more like a re skin on the huntsman/basic cab/bear etc that all look the same

on that note though, what do you guys wanna see for Legendary cabins (light, heavy, med)

>>Why not just use the CAD program of your choice for modeling
most people don't have CAD software installed on their computer.
>>>modeling a hypoid bevel gear for class
approximate it. If you're 3d printing it you probably don't actually need it to be a hypoid. Also remember everything in gears is pitch surfaces that are like rolling together and shit. Look up how you generate involute curves with string. No really, it will help you understand. I too had to make a really fucking weird gear profile in CAD once.

here, why don't you watch this video to calm your autism:
youtube.com/watch?v=-1Gfc1Iq0GY

we're not talking about building shit with blocks user, we're talking honest to goodness CAD here.

Also this is the simulator, FEA in real motherfucking time.
sofa-framework.org/

>definitely break if I try and import into Ynity as is
it won't
t.unityyesdev

>blocks
models, user, models. Also that would kill any engine running in real time with consumer grade hardware that you can't specifically optimize for. Probably the only thing that would run it would be unity using bulletphysics because I know for a fucking fact UE4 isn't going to fly with that shit and cryengine is a joke when it comes to rigidbodies interacting dynamically.

is joke, comrade

only thing i ever wanted was a cabin and engine compartment cutout of something like the diablo to be a light cabin with the highest top speed
>light cab: sports car
>med cab: humvee
>heavy cab: tank chassis
more importantly, legendary cabs needs a balanced gimmick like hollowed compartments where you can hide ammo boxes/generators and not something like 16 base energy or something useless like a free tow missile launcher

>something useless
>spawns a fucking pitiful martydom drone
>no i-frames so gets killed by whatever kills you

exactly what they should try to avoid
at least the horn is nice

I like the compartment Idea, cabs are larger than epic equivalent, but similar volume, with cutouts for ammo boxes/fuel barrels. you could also do something instead where they have frame piece mounting points elevated on them so you can make your base frame, and then a frame on top for weapons while at the same time creating a sort of compartment area in between them

>is a fucking Isetta with a rusty box welded to the back for the drone

Learn it. Blender is definitely worth it.

Don't listen to /3/. No other program has as much support as Blender does.

depending on if what you're thinking and what i'm thinking matches, the biggest problem i see with that is if the player wants to build a low profile car for whatever reason

Who would win: one slav with a grinder and a bottle of hydrogen or this entire ship

>tfw the big ship had an entire complex drop pod system and we just cut it off and dropped it through the hangar because it was fucking with the hacking

>legendary cabins
Please no. My wallet is already empty.
18 (with apollo) energy ultralight cabin with insane power
Essentially 10% carbon fiber and 90% engine
built in engine perk with an inverse ramp for power as it relates to speed so you take off like a rocket but can't push for shit at top speed

17* energy

>what do you guys wanna see for Legendary cabins (light, heavy, med)

I want to see a big heavy cab for scavengers that looks like it got pulled off some heavy industrial machine. Maybe a huge bulldozer/skidsteer/excavator cabin with a special effect thats opposite to the Humpback. Humpback builds up to a 25% damage bonus as you take damage yourself. Make a bigass legendary cab that increases your defense as you take damage. Make it go up to 30-40%. Just become an unstoppable juggernaught that gets harder and harder to kill as people shoot you.

A proper tank cabin would be cool for steffenwulves. Like if somebody ripped the front end off a T-90 where the driver seat it and used it to build something.

Give nomads a helicopter cockpit, or maybe a jet cockpit.

Fuck Downschildren. I dont care about them.

And people uncovered this cabin in the games files. Looks like a boars head, and its really small. People are thinking its either a rare or epic cab version of the duster. Super light cabin with 13 energy. But who knows.

>clanged wheels casually rolling in the distance

Remove the crane arm, and detach it from the rest of the truck. I think this could make a sweet legendary heavy cab

make it high with the ability to rotate
so that you can place a cannon on the spot where the crane would be

Funny thing about Japan. Even their criminals are highly autistic.

I'd want to see a change in how the damage system works where getting plinked in the cabin by a tiny turret will kill you faster than getting smacked around by dozens of rockets. This would reduce the need for layers and layers of meme armor. Hell, for added fun allow the cabin to be placed on things that aren't frames and require the cabin have clear line of sight in order to be able to detect enemies as enemies.

I also really really like that cabin and would actually like to see it in game.

reminds me of that robocock cosmetic piece of the giant robot thing, always liked it in a vacuum.

>Blender
>solids based shit for engineering
haha no faggot go learn vertices based

There's two discussions about modeling right now: one about importing models into Unity and one about modeling gears. I'm not sure why you think anyone's a faggot here it's probably you but blender's fine for the first kind. It's also "okay" for basic engineering stuff like 3D printing as long as you don't need super complex geometry.

My Summer Mech?

so what's the hitlist for an ideal /egg/? Mine is
1. Runs well or can be possibly configured to run well. (60fps minimum solid until something retarded is done)

2. Autistic attention to detail for builder (should be capable of holding a child's or ADHD riddled man-child equivalent's attention for at least 5 mins through either fine design or lots of possibilities)

3. Functioning single player, should at least have 5-ish hours of gameplay without the player having to come up with their own fun. Should also not waste the players time like wtf does. (idea being the content should teach all of the game's features and give them ideas for their own shenanigans. Beseige is very good at this gmod is the worst at this.)

4. Solid fascist control of servers for serb admins with dedicated servers capable of being run on serb hardware in headless mode without reliance on steam server connectivity, and should work for airdropped copies with the ability to turn the protection against airdropped on or off. (Besiege is the absolute worst at this and I consider the game an inferior product after the update than it was before. Factorio is really fantastic in this but the control is lacking, though considering retards usually don't play it never seemed a problem to me.)

5. Modding support. Tools are a bonus but its just made in unity then the world's your oyster and all the devs need to do is change how asset loading works a little. Day's work, tops.

6. Stable and consistent physics with major issues only coming from obscure shit or "hard" to do shit like chaos engines in Beseige. Spengies is the worst with this cuckout is really good with this. Robocraft gets special mention for being absolutely dogshit in this field.

7. Devs aren't snowflakes who can't comprehend their masterpiece has a flaw or are MIA. Robocraft and Cuckout are offenders here.

If a game doesn't have at least two of these I usually end up dropping it.
blogposting to encite conversation

I'm shitposting. vertex based is legacy as fuck and is only used by old fucks and for compatibility with nonsense

aren't those chinese runes on the piece of paper on the table, they look subtly different from moon runes

IMO:
First thing is that it should be stable physically speaking, doesn't matter if it has to grind to .1 FPS, first and foremost it should avoid CLANG
Then there is the autistic customization

Then it should be optimized to run fast (or reasonably fast)

This is for the base game functionality, ignoring the dev/community side of things for simplicity's sake

>so what's the hitlist for an ideal /egg/?
Spengies but Marek is gassed

>ignoring the dev/community
actually I'd like to append my previous post, another one is the devs make the game feature complete THEN listen to the community for improvements. Spengies died for this laststandgamer shit.

correct. Got nothing to add to that I just wanted you to know I have the same feeling.

Chinese runes are the same as Japanese runes, the Japanese just break up some words and sentences with their own simpler one-syllable-per-character runes. That many runes in a row without being broken up is uncommon but not impossible in Japanese, and considering that those are Nambu magazines at very top of the screen it would make sense that this is a Japanese creation. All the other stuff is clearly Japanese and the upper-left timestamp is distinctly Japanese so it's obviously on Japanese television of course.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

oi Aegis fag, shield radius increased by 60%, time to SELL

GODDAMMIT! WTF?
He could at least paste his shit into google translate for a quick check.

Wayvard Thread Falling

Sorry, I fell asleep.
wiki.osdev.org/"8042"_PS/2_Controller#Interrupts

In summary, when you hit a key, the CPU gets interrupted, and the input is processed.
There are simply no dropped keypresses.

>PS/2

It's full of bad grammar. alpha etc

I forgot to mention, USB keyboard crap works entirely differently.
USB keyboard stuff is terrible, in comparison to PS/2, and I haven't worked out the whole process in my head, but I think that usually input isn't dropped there either, with the notable exception of ghosting.

Type "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." with both shift keys held, if you want to know what ghosting is.

PS/2 is far superior to USB where it comes to keyboard input.
Modern computer hardware specifications have gone backward in many many ways.

>new amberlamps horn
>hold down h for siren
MUH DIK

What weapons will they have?
Pizza launchers? Spaghetti net? Tactical Lupara?

More importantly, does their cabin makes them swap team when low on health?

wtf: why does charging travel drive sometimes takes ages?

Because it depends on your energy.

available power
stick some capacitors next to your engines

Okay, then how do I read the capacitor widget (and calculate how many do I need)? It doesn't tell me anything to be honest, I don't see any link between my actions and their charge

>ship sawed in half but its mine now and not theirs so thats the important part
>engines aren't attached no more
>try travel mode
>nah m8
>kk
>go and very slowly piece together the ass end of the ship together with repair tool
>reactor plugged into thruster
>gonna go fast
>charge up
>*explosion.mkv*
>turns out the reactor needed a good fucking lot of cooling
>unfuck the fucked
>home is 800 km away
>fug
>hold key down with coin and take shower then come back
>ass end is gone again for some reason but I'm 20km out now
>fug this holy shit
>kys myself
>grab cheapo shuttle
>pull the fucking thing into dock via airlock
>breaks every klick or so
>turns out the ship was too big for my pussy ass base and I just wasted about an hour

>‘Aegis Prime’ protective field
>Shield radius is increased by 60%.
Good goyim, what's that, you want to buy your Aegis back now?

nice

>updoot happens
>wanna jew this fast
>40 min download
>all prices back to normal by the time I get on
fug

Theres several fake parts to this story that shows to me he's nvr played it t b h

only embellished parts was the reactor going off because of overheat (they just shut off, which is boring) and time to return, I was tabbed out watching shit after shower and some AI found me and picked my dumb ass apart. Didn't make nearly as fun of a story without that.

Why do you propagate fake news? Don't you know that's the way Putin stole the 2016 election that was rightfully Hillary's?
Btw if you disagree with me you are a bigot republican racist trump voting idiot cis white male misogynist binary patriarchal colonialist shitlord

so, can i infiltrate tumblr unnoticed or do i still need to work on the part

> do i still need to work on the part
You need to sell it better, not harder. I feel like I'm reading a Veeky Forums post not some retard on facebook or some girl on tumblr. Issue is nobody uses btw, its all just run on scentances now. I liked your use of "colonialist" in reference to the most recent black panther movie and how some of the characters referred to white people as such, but you can't stack so many in a row and not be called out. Here let me give it a shot.

Why do you propagate fake news? Its just disgusting and pathetic and you shouldn't feel anything but pain for this because thats what it makes me feel when I think of all the people that believed in it. Putin stole america from #Hilary(#imwithher, by the way, and so should you!) and gave it to that republican slob the same way, just fake news and alternative facts. Cis white scum like you and everyone that thought your post was funny shouldn't be allowed to vote or even own property as they just bring our beautiful country down, you human wreckage.

I'm tired so my normie-fu is slurring but you get the idea.

It's not too late to jew, user.
The prices of the barrier and anaconda parts are still cheap, and they're used to manufacture aegises. They may go up in price later.

It is now that i realize the biggest drawback of phoneposting.
No ready access to the "scared shitless" subfolder of my reaction image folder