I want artwork of soldiers from the western roman empire the later the better

Other urls found in this thread:

lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Doesn't get much later than 451

Sorry about the quality, had to take a picture of a book with my phone

I hope this doesn't come out sideways

I guess just flip it in MS paint

This is a painting from the late 4th century, showing a Roman soldier of the period

I think this one is Valentinian

That's all I had. Next time you could try to use Google OP.

That resembles barbarians, not romans.

>That resembles barbarians, not romans.

By this period they were virtually indistinguishable in terms of armaments. Half of the men beyond the frontier had served in the Roman army. Most of the Roman army was made up of Germanic soldiers. They fought using spears and spatha longswords in smaller formations instead of massive troop movements. The Roman army was a lot more focused on guerilla action and ambushes instead of overwhelming force. Ammianus Marcellinus is a good source on it.

It went both ways too. Roman military fabrica were frequent targets for raids. So thanks to the increasing numbers of Germans in the Roman army, you had Romans equipped with Romanised Germanic equipment, which the Germans themselves would then steal.

Absolutely barbarian

>Western "Romans"
βάρβαροι

>Chi Rho

Bump for more late Rome

I think I hate OP.

Segmented helms still puzzle the fuck out of me.

Were they better in terms of protection or simply cheaper to produce?

Pls can someone educate me on shieldpainting?

Does each individual soldier paint their own pattern or is there like a mandated pattern for the formation?

How often is it repainted on campaign, given all the damage it Would suffer? Is it even varnished or topcoated?

In Late Rome anyway shields were painted according to the unit the soldier belonged to.

Spangenhelms were common to many militaries of the day. They're just easy to produce. The Romans were using them as early as Trajan.

Right cool. Did a central committee decide on how each unit should paint their shields? If a unit was ever destroyed or fell into disgrace, would their shield design be reassigned to another unit or just never used again?

This. For example...

lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html

The Legio II Augusta which was founded by the emperor Augustus was used in the invasion of Britain and kept there until 410 AD. By late antiquity it had its own shield design and was based in the Saxon Shore fortress of Rutupis (Richborough) after being moved from Wales to help protect against the Saxons. The shield pattern was mandated for the formation and recorded in this list of offices (Notitia Dignitatum).

>central committee decide on how each unit should paint their shields?

I believe it's unclear. It is likely though that somebody high ranking in the military must have formalised the shield patterns since they are listed in official military records. It is likely the local army commanders came up with the individual pattern and had it signed off with the lMagister Militum (master of soldiers).

> If a unit was ever destroyed or fell into disgrace, would their shield design be reassigned to another unit or just never used again?

The issue is that a number of units have identical shield designs, so it is unlikely to have been THAT formal. It is likely though, that in the same way as certain legion designations fell out of use after the battle of Teutoburg Forest that certain shield designs were ill-fated and fell out of use. The lack of thunderbolt designs on shields may suggest an underlying wish not to bring back any pagan imagery and instead to reconcile the new designs with Rome's new Christian religion.

It might be that the local Magister Officiorum came up with at least some of the designs, as the Notitia Dignitatum shows a group of them on a page outlining arms and armor production of arms factories, which the Magister Officiorum was in charge of.

What's the last unit? Looks more eastern in style to me

Y tho

Looks Russian, I think it's one of those LE THIRD ROME memers

It's Byzantine

Wow, that's cool

Thanks for the info guys!

Is it some dlc for Attila?