/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic the Hedgehog General. Share art and music, discuss new developments, ROM hacks, speedrunning, comics and more!

/sthg/ #1230 - Canon Ship Edition

>Sonic NewsGeneral Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtCw1pT79DaKjLb5pjI2TUUNdoZnPF3re
twitter.com/AnonBabble

liftu again

I really forgot how fast this thread moves, i'm 2slow.

Also reposting:

It's always possible if he really wants to bring the characters over while still keeping the fresh start. You know, similar design, similar personality, different roles and none of the lore.

It would take a huge amount of mental gymnastics to consider the comics and games part of the same universe, or even multiple games as being one cohesive universe desu.

Really the way I see it this franchise is like a toy line, the story is all on the side stuff, and the games are just toys that the side material helps sell. There's no story in them besides what you wanna make of them.

Then shouldn't the comics have more tie-ins with the games?
The Wisps didn't even canonically exist until post-SGW.

It's not exactly that, and there are games every few years while the comics have to come out every month.

Bottom line is that this franchise is a sodding mess.

Any new characters get revealed after the skunk boys?

>It would take a huge amount of mental gymnastics to consider the comics and games part of the same universe
Not really, the Archie comics were always treating things as spanning out of the games, except when they directly adapted the games themselves which is close enough.

And the IDW comic is literally acting as the sequel to Forces, so it's pretty easy to just consider the new comics as a continuation of where the games have ended too

Suck the Cock, tbqh I don't know what Ian is thinking with that guy, hopefully he is just for the first arc

Apparently there's one left but not announced yet.

Pre-reboot comics stemmed from the cartoons, not the games. The comic universe was cartoon-centric to start, adding game material later. Post-reboot was more game-centric, but even then it heavily altered and messed around with things from the games to the extent that it was impossible to consider them the same universe unless you're an idiot.

I'm glad there's all these new characters that can actually get some interesting backstories/development. I was worried he was going to stick to only game characters that are stuck being mandated as 1-D

this

If the direct adaptations of the games are clearly different, then I see no reason to believe the other story archs aren't a separate thing too.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, the comics just don't fit inside the games.

Discuss.

I'll preface by saying I don't give a shit about the comics being used anywhere else, but this wierd idea that the game stories are these strong frameworks that can't accept exterior anterior in them is just false. The stories are the worst parts of the games and are not why we play them.
Conversely, the stories are much more important in the comics due to the medium.

this

>Tails is a wet sponge
Come on now user.

>sonamy
>canon ship
enjoy this response

I don't understand the first part of your post, but I agree that the stories are the worst parts of the games, to the point where they might as well not have a story. That's why I said that it's kind of like a toy line in which the story is all told trough side material.

>70 THREADS TO TAILS GENERAL
>PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
70 THREADS TO TAILS GENERAL
PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
>PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
>PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
>PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
>PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
>PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK
PREPARE YOUR ARTWORK

I was never claiming that the games were a strong framework, but its undeniable that the archie comics span out of them in many places. And the IDW comic is exclusively spanning out of the most recent games.

Yeah the games dont have good stories but my main point was that the comics and games compliment each other at the best of times.

that's actually a smart way of looking at it

What happens if Chaos 0 is the first post in the thread?

AAAAAHHHHHH

>The stories are the worst parts of the games and are not why we play them.
i play sonic for the stories.

The comics are using the post forces world as a jumping off point but they will be for all intents and purposes their own continuity

I am a big fan of Sonic the Hedgehog the best cereal line ever made.

Reminder that she will never have a milestone thread because the triple thread bullshit that minafag did

The funny part is that Sonic Forces is just about the best possible setting since the original games to have a team of FFs.

>i play sonic for the stories.
wew

That includes the games, yes

Agree, by sheer luck they get to start the Sonic comic with nearly the exact same premise of the original Archie comics, just with a bigger focus on the game characters

dont make me post the poll

the Minafag didn't start the thread controversy. I did.
I like Mina. She's one of my favorite Archie characters but I didn't like that some dude just made a Mina general in the OP field so I got triggered and made the first alternate thread. It all spiraled out of control.
I feel bad for causing all this so I'll make it up by voting for her at the next vote

>and will include the games, yes
correct, just like Archie comics did, which was also it's own continuity

Never said otherwise

nice job BTFO the game purist

>$102,014 pledged of $50,000 goal
>kickstarter has been in the OP for a month now
>nobody has said a word about it

wtf

reported for dramafagging.
I'm not trying to BTFO anyone. Him and I may have some differences but I think we've reached compromise.
It's people like you that shit things up.

it's nice when the thread gets along

When it was first shown we talked about it but there was only a $100 backer tier so most people nope'd out.
It got some more tiers a while after but I don't think people care too much about a board game.

>it's nice when the thread gets along
this general has been mostly better for the last 2 days now. eventually shitposters get bored and go away.
Good timing too. We could have a few good threads now before character campaigning starts ramping up for the next vote.

>I don't think people care too much about a board game
Considering it reached 100k I'd disagree. Not even indie games reach that amount anymore

>I don't think people care too much about a board game

I do, and hadn't heard of it, thanks for pointing it out.

Also, board games tend to be expensive, so 100$ for a kickstarter isn't so bad.

I meant within this general.
I don't know of anyone here who has said they backed it.

I considered it for the figured which look neat but I'd never play it.

I can already imagine using Sonic minifigs in a 40k army.

I did mention about whether people cared enough about Sticks and Silver to get to their respective tiers. Now that $100,000+ is pledged, I wonder what's the next tier, I'm pretty impressed.

You did nothing wrong user, Minafag did, next time that someone make a fake milestone thread, we should create a normal thread and say that X characterfags made their own general and banish them to there

>I'd never play it.
Of course not.
The minimum requirement is 1 physical real life friend.

I want to back it up but I'm trying not to spend so much on Sonic shit. The figures look nice and I really want them but who the hell would play a Sonic board game with me, I don't have many friends let alone Sonic friends that would participate with me.

I did my challenge. I'm not sure if I missed something or not. youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtCw1pT79DaKjLb5pjI2TUUNdoZnPF3re

Jokes on you, I have 2 physical real life friends.
They just hate Sonic.

You can always come up with single-player rules, these games tend to be flexible like that.

/sthg/ meetup when?

Huh, I didn't think of it like that.

this ain't reddit. our community isnt close enough for meet ups.

>/sthg/ meetup
>4 maybe 5 dudes show up
>Awkwardly shuffle around each other, slowly sipping a drink, avoiding eye contact
>Everyone leaves having never talked about Sonic
Sounds fun.

I'm so bored i feel like killing myself.
So i'm gonna ask this.
Does /sthg/ have a detailed, thought-out opinion on the games?
We should discuss each mainline game and come to an agreement about them, then go to the spin-offs.
It would be an interesting way to pass the time while we wait for news on the franchise

I don't think Sonic fans should ever meet up in any capacity.

Based on the kickstarter page, it looks like (if/when this gets off the ground) there will be lots of seperately purchasable expansion packs that give you the figures of other characters?

Because some of these guys get zero merch, I'd definitely buy these just for the figures. Gimme dat Omega and Blaze.

Speak for yourself NERD, i'm an alpha male, a chad, the best the human species has to offer, I will go there regardless of when and where and speak about whatever I want, play whatever I want, eat whatever I want and fuck whoever I want. Even you.

>Does /sthg/ have a detailed, thought-out opinion on the games?
Probably, though it depends how detailed you want it or if you just want a collection of thoughts from various anons.

I'm a normie so I wouldn't mind moderating and keeping things lively.
Honestly a bottle of Jack and splitting everyone into two teams and just competing in SA2 multi would be fun enough.

>I'm seriously asking because as far as I know them, Sally is a princess who can't fight for dick or plan shit besides running into traps, Nicole is her /u/ fuel buddy, Bunnie is a married woman with robotic limbs because of Eggman, Antoine is a coward who stops being one and Rotor is a weapons and tech guy, something Tails has always been

Sally is a princess who can fight well enough to beat average mooks but not high-tier characters like Sonic or Shadow, and she plans successful missions all the time but people seem to only remember the couple of times her plans failed, Bunnie is a country cyborg, Antoine is an expert swordsman from a Robin Hood-esque setting, and Tails has never been heavily focused on weapons which Rotor was retooled to be in the reboot.

Not saying that any of that makes them essential but they add about as much as any other Sonic character.

Alright, lets start with Sonic 1.

My opinion: It's alright. I like Labyrinth Zone. Game is overrated though, as are the mechanics that are poorly implemented by Sega past Green Hill Zone, and the "muh speed, muh momentum" fags can get bent, most of the modern games are more enjoyable.

>Does /sthg/ have a detailed, thought-out opinion on the games?

Yes, we're all autistic here if you haven't noticed.

>and fuck whoever I want. Even you.
You couldn't satisfy me, dweeb.

>Yes, we're all autistic here if you haven't noticed.
No we're not.

>where they might as well not have a story

Even the classic games had a story.

>/sthg/ meetup
pic related but only like 3 people

Yeah you don't sound autistic at all.

Wanna bet on that, buddy?

I wonder what the inspiration behind this character was.

Yeah but it wasn't exactly very present except maybe for 3 (and knuckles)

If the 3 people are super sweet, then I wouldn’t mind.

I've thought that I could perhaps bond with a fem fan through sonic but we would probably would be both so anti-social we would retreat from each other.

MARIA

>thicc Sally

I guarantee only the 3 biggest shitposters would show up, quote Breadnic, Mina Milestone Maybe, and make fun of Sparky or Slashy and then leave.

>"Hey welcome to the meetu-"
>"BUMP IS SHIT"
>Runs away

>runs away doing the sonic/naruto run

SEGA FIGHTAN FEATURING SPIDER-MAN

FUCKING.
WHEN.
srry guise had an autistic meltdown there haha xd

>can't see me
Aww

NEVER do that again. Intentions may have not been all bad but MAN does that cause separation like a cancerous tumor that won't go away

I would go to a Crush 40 concert if there were no Sonic fans there. Maybe in Japan so at least I couldn't understand what they were saying.

>he was there
Holy shit.

Its ok.
You have to understand I have a deep sense of nostalgia with this game. Genesis was my first console and I played this game to fucking death.
The issue is it's more of a blueprint for a game than a game itself.
Green Hill is just a playground. It's fun but mostly in the sense that it's just a free roam level devoid of much real challenge.
Marble is actually bad. It's the worst kind of bad. It's boring. Too linear, too slow, and just a bore to repeat. The three act structure really shows its issues here.
Springyard is fun, and outside of the areas where you just have to wait is actually a strong point of the game. Yes I think it's better than Green Hill.
Labyrinth is Halo CE's the Library of Sonic: Its underrated but rightfully criticized at the same time. I do appreciate the difficulty and gimmick, but it just drags on and on. Again, 3 acts: bad idea.
Starlight is completely forgettable. The best way to describe iut is a poor man's stardust speedway. At this point it just feels like the game is padding itself out.
Now I've thought long and hard about this, but Scrap Brain Zone is in my opinion the best part of the game. It's challenging, multi-pathed, and makes good use of the game's mechanics you've learned throughout, including even the water mechanic. Seriously, the final act of scrap brain is a better level from a design perspective than any of the actual labyrinths you run through earlier. I also applaud the final boss. Sonic health system struggles with bosses. It's too forgiving. It turns most bosses into trial and error until you know exactly what to do at which point they become too easy. Final Zone addresses this by giving you one hitpoint to work with while clearly telegraphing its attacks.

Sonic 1 is... just ok. And that saddens me, because I give it so much love, but the fact is it really only gives so much in return. There's not much wrong with it, but also far too little that works that well

Final Grade: D (ok)

A few people from here were.

this is a good review, but you left out one major part of the game

That makes me disappointed. I would want it to be taken more seriously than that.

And it was damn good time

>Mina should have become Hatsune Mina as a shoutout to the Sega Vocaloid singer.
>The cast growing up from their "classic"/younger self into at least Sonic becoming an adult can be handled very well.
>Shadow should have become more prominent as something like a mentor for Chaos for Sonic by teaching him new techniques.
>Ian is good with big arcs altogether but he's absolutely horrible with getting the ball moving.
>The Freedom Fighters and the concept of Mobius as a whole would have been great for the Sonic canon if they would just tone down how ungodly powerful Sonic is.
>Most of the series problems can be chocked up to "Sonic is god and no one else is allowed to harm or touch him."
>Tails' character direction at this point is no longer Tails, he is something completely different in Forces even when compared to him in Lost World.
>Infinite had a great fucking concept but was executed so god damn poorly that I'm legitimately mad about the waste of character as a whole.
>They lowkey rebooted the entire Sonic universe with Sonic Unleashed and they almost did it again with Lost World.
>Sonic Battle is unironically the best canon material of any Sonic game ever and it's saddening that we will never get a sequel or remake of it.

Wow, these are some hot takes you have there user. I agree with about half of them, tbqh.