previous
>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/CTJ0hpLe

>News
New gigantic DDA mod release that lets you "win" DDA!
github.com/tyrael93/Ascension/releases
This post explains some shit I guess
discourse.cataclysmdda.org/t/ascension-mod-or-winning-dda-the-mod/14799

IVAN 0.51 released
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases/tag/v051

Sil-q updated
github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/releases

ADOM r88 released for free, includes new secret boss and dinosaurs, get it here:
adom.de/home/downloads.html

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Cyoj4-niEPc
youtube.com/watch?v=voNOfv-_QXg
crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Gorglomux/morgue-Gorglomux-20180106-232340.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first 4 vehumenthol

Thanks for the info, I think I'm off the lewd mod.

>page 9

What's the best source of flour in CDDA? If I want a lot do I need to farm?

So, here's a little thing.

Apparently you can mine solid rock for coal, a lot of coal, and niter too.

You can make some magic transmutation from salt water to concentrated acid to sugar and a lot of other bullshit to turn that stuff into black gunpowder, which can be used to create rockets.

Which can be really fucking fun and I'm gonna do it right now.

cattails from the swamp I believe

never farm in cdda it's a completely retarded idea for everything except roleplaying

>dodge so hard your clothes fall apart

>a guy named coolthulhu got in a slapfight with the main cdda maintainer and made a fork with this fixed
"Fixed" is a very wrong thing to say.
A bit unfucked it, but still only a bit.
I made tests some time ago. Spawned some generic weapons and an immobile breather as target, then proceed to modify player skills and measure effectiveness.
You can't hit shit at distance over 10 tiles. Maybe with some broken tacticool futuristic rifles, bionic targeting system and stuff like that, but until the endgame you'll be lucky to make a grazing hit with 30, maybe 50 rounds.
With 10 tile distance and AR-15, accuracy caps pretty quickly, somewhere around 7 skill in rifles and marksmanship. Be it 7, 15 or 20 - doesn't matter, you have maybe 5% increase in accuracy by grinding from 5 to 20.
And it's not because you make a headshot every time - no, you still have about 60% chance to hit even when taking a minute to aim before every shot. That's including grazing hits, which do 2 or 3 points of damage. Good, solid hits happen only 30% of the time or so, and only about 5% of the time a headshot happens. It is literally impossible to reliably hit a target more than 10 tiles away.
I then spawned some throwing weapons, and it turned out that with equal skill a fucking throwing axe consistently deals way more damage than AR-15 fire. Change to hit is lower at 10 tiles, but you can throw them three or four times as fast, dealing the same damage with each hit that lands.
On distances of 5-10 tiles throwing weapons are outright better than assault rifles, because they hit with almost every throw, but don't take time to aim and deal with recoil.
0-5 is good for shotguns and high caliber rifles though, of for bursts from assault rifles. But it's laughable.

Okay, a little more detail:

>take lots of salt water from swamp
>salt water can be turned into acid water by cooking it
>make batteries from acid water, scrap metal and a container (mostly empty cans but empty canisters you can forge can be used too)
You now have infinite batteries.

What do you use these for?
Digging with your electric jackhammer.
See:
>acid water can be used with two by fours to make sugar
>sugar and saltpeter make rocket candy
>black gunpowder and rocket candy make rocket fuel to make rockets, which do 500 damage in a large radius

Black gunpowder is actually made from oxidizer powder and ammonia and coal.
Ammonia can be made from water, coal and scrap metal.
Oxidizer powder can be made with bleach and water.
Bleach can be made with salt water.

So with only salt water, coal, scrap metal and a bit of time, you can make gigantic explosions.

If you like you can also use your rockets to dig more rocket fuel!
Okay maybe not.

>faraday chainmail suit
where and how

mods

there's a faraday shark suit, you can make a faraday chainmail suit.

what mod, user? as loath as i am to put effort into modding cata a faraday cage turned into armor is a neat concept

I wouldn't know, probably more makeshift items.

Okay disregard that I lied. Found my notes from that time.
The thing with 10 tiles was actually 18 tiles, which is a bit better. Still bullshit because it's perfect aim, you won't have time to do it in actual combat.
And with actual practical turn or two for aiming, you can reliably hit at 12 at most. It still will be shitty hits though, mostly for 20 or 30 damage with AR-15.

The message order has been fucked ingame for a long time now. The clothing damage is from the torso hit.

Okay I debugged myself a character with 20 perception, 20 marksmanship, 20 dexterity and 20 rifle skill and I still can't hit anything over 20 tiles away
that's fucked

>making literal rocket science with mostly swamp materials
shit nigga i want to learn too

I recently got into CDDA because of this video:
youtu.be/Cyoj4-niEPc

It seems pretty good but are there other roguelikes with a heavy emphasis on crafting?

>You die...

What's a nice god for OcTr?

I'm going to assume that having enough monster spawners around to cause a four way brawl means I never want to come to this town again.

Not that there is anywhere else to go besides wander through the forest and hope a moose doesn't eat me.

OpTm of Oka is great. or dith

Is it just me or is there no sound in CDDA?
It has music volume, but I hear nothing.

I'm torn between getting CoQ or ADOM, leaning toward CoQ...I am loving Tome4 but looking for something new that is similar.

There are worms here, too. Fortunately you can poke an underground worm with a spear while standing safely inside a house. Somehow.

3RD WIN HYPE

okawaru is pretty standard for any Tm, because Tm needs more skills than normal.

do labs generate less than they used to? after days of looking for one I revealed the map. there was one within two map tiles, the one I started in. after revealing two more tiles I found one more. it seemed like in the stable release you'd have several per tile.

also wtb hackpro

Jesus, that's a lot of AC even for a Gr

mods that add more locations compete with the labs, so you will see less of them.

Yeah. I had a +4 helmet too before I got an antennae mutation in Zot 5. Had a shield of protection too but I swapped it for a shield of resistance. I was basically immune to physical attacks that weren't berserk or mighted.

I found an artifact +8 clarity crystal plate on D13 before Lair and the game was basically a cakewalk from there up to the later levels of Depths. Vaults 5 was still harrowing, but that was mostly due to the elves and titans.

Mapgen is shit.
In one of my recent games I just walked along the road for two full seasons looking for a lab. Stopped only to gather food and water. I had binoculars, so viewing distance was decent.
Found four tiny towns, maybe 80 buildings total, and one mansion. Absolutely nothing else.
At one point, when I went of the road, there was a batch 200x80 of literally nothing. Just forest, swamps and fields. No buildings, no towns, no roads, no labs, no temples, no cabins, nothing.
The other time I wanted to quickly test something lab-related, decided that I'll spend more time starting up the lab challenge and pressed Play Now!, planning to reveal map, then teleport to a nearby lab.
Not a single lab in 20 or so fully revealed map fragments.

If I kill an NPC follower will my other followers get mad? I've gotten this weird bug twice in my current game where a follower glitches out and creates a selfclone that occupies the same space and then they start throwing up errors and teleporting around. In both cases I just told them stand guard and drove away, but I'd rather kill them than have little error farms laying about waiting to explode my save.

just run them over

So in DCSS, does int raise damage from wands and rods?

No. Also
>rods

strength increases melee damage and reduces the penalties from heavy armor (thus increasing EV and spell success)
dex increases EV and melee accuracy
int increases spell success and spell power, and decreases spell hunger

Not him but another int question, does int have any benefit for a hold tab character?

Do shimmering portals do anything yet?

None at all. The only reason to care about it is the occasional Brain Feed caster (glowing orange brains, nexoqecs, others) which can make you Brainless (Int 0 or less), which is a terrible, slow-to-cure status.

it increases spell success and spell power and decreases spell hunger
that is 100% of what it does
it has no other secret hidden uses
a few points in int can still be somewhat nice for non-troglodytes who want to cast some utility spells, and who already have enough strength for their armor of choice

>tfw trying to clear zigsprint when i've never cleared a real zig

It's probably 1.5-2 times as difficult, given that you start off with retarded equipment.

Currently working on a workable approach. My usual meleedudes got squashed around midpoint. Interestingly, __Be is really, really good, since Berserk solves a crapton of problems, and Trog guarantees decent weaponry beyond the starting stash. Right now, I'm trying a "Death's Door" approach: use HO, follow Kiku, get Obsidian Axe, get Axes to 18, get Necronomicon at 6* piety (fairly quickly), try to get DD up and running. And then....I don't know: switch to being more magic-oriented with big-time spells (level 8-9 damagers).

>make new character
>random world: bird city
>random name: ivory fowler
I guess I know my destiny

Could've been worse. Fish and cephalopod are pretty bad.

Cephalopod is actually pretty good with the right build, chimera should be there instead.

Chimera can be great if you avoid genetic chaos and get some good supplemental mutations from other trees after after you pass threshhold.

Fish is solid if not exciting. Indefatigable, quick, robust genetics, full night vision, +7 dex (and a bunch of irrelevant water bonuses). In exchange you smell bad and drink more water, not terrible.

I have to ask what game you're talking about as I am fresh meat.

Cataclysm: DDA mutation categories

youtube.com/watch?v=voNOfv-_QXg

im tired of this racism against umber hulks. gas the @s

@'s are adventurers -- they're good, necessary people.

it's the p's that need to be genocided.

Haha use a graphical tileset you dumb nerds.

is borderlands 2 a roguelike

I don't like you or this post.

is Asassin's Creed: Rogue a roguelike

I always get such fun quest levels.

am I roguelike?
please answer fast it's important

>having a computer that can display that many sprites

How is Slay the Spire?

are you spontaneous and unpredictable, and always interested in learning new things?
more importantly, are you LONG and HARD, and do you spend your time in the local HARDCORE DUNGEON?
are you modal?

>turn-based
no
>tum-based
maybe, if you're a fatty
>procedurally-generated
i mean, i GUESS
>permadeath
sure
>grid-based
no
>complex
sure
>exploration and discovery (of yourself)
yes

you're like 50% a roguelike

the biggest thing, though, is that you can't be represented by ASCII characters

(unless you consider the DNA/RNA sequences as ASCII)

>goatse got instanuked last thread
>CP survived autosage
Get it to-fucking-gether, jannies. Holy shit.

>starting evac shelter is in town
>manage to get a drivable van started before the horde tears it apart
How do you actually survive innawoods? I have no relevant skills, a matchbook and sewing kit, and have to use the van for warmth since the weeb class basically starts naked.

Yes to all.
>grid-based
>no
>turn-based
>no
But planck units.

scavenge in the grass, make stone tools, die to grim howlers

planck units don't count because you can't actually "pause" during said units

grid-based/turn-based *really* means that each turn and each "space" on the grid is significant (or, at least, the average turn/space is significant). if you're playing a 60fps game or real life, most turns/spaces are not remotely significant. like, the only ones you could argue are significant are those regarding cancer.

Forage in shrubs and throw rocks at critters. Knap some rocks to make a sharp rock so you can butcher them. Make a digging stick and dig a hole for a fire pit. A rock pot for cooking. Take apart one of the seats in your car to make a leather funnel for collecting rainwater. Make sure you boil it. Run from moose, bear and cougar. Check your crafting list whenever you level up survival.
It's a pretty tedious way to play early on, but it gets fun if you stick with it.

plank units are NOT quanta of space or time
dumb popsci poster

>Even though there can be much more to the game, killing lots of monsters is a very important part of a roguelike.
>You have to manage your limited resources (e.g. food, healing potions)
so adom is not a roguelike, thanks god

>page 10

oh hi how've ya been

And then I find out that you can just back out of murder x of y random quests now and come back to finish the job later.

Well at least I finally got an artifact shooter out of it.

is there a monster girl game roguelike

Can you fags just stop posting this and play some roguelikes, or kill yourselves?

i haven't played roguelikes since january

Then get the fuck out.

rude
and anyways i still contribute valuable advice and autistic discussion

In DCSS how do you raise spell power? I tried reading the wiki but don't get it. Does a higher spellcasting skill raise spell power?

you want to raise the spell's actual schools
e.g. fireball is conjuration and fire, so you raise its power and lower its fail rate primarily with the conj and fire skills.
for both of these purposes, 4 points of spellcasting is worth 1 point of each of the 'real' skills
intelligence also has an effect, as do robes of the archmage (but not rings of wizardry, which just decrease failure chance)

Main method is training the skills associated with the spell. The spell lists them in order of importance to their power. If you find a staff associated with a school, it raises the power of that school. Ring of Fire and Ring of Ice also increase the power of those schools, but they make you vulnerable to their opposite element, so theyre risky to use if you dont know what youll be fighting. Intelligence slightly raises spellpower, and also reduces spell hunger and decreases spell failure rate.

>The spell lists them in order of importance to their power.
All of a spell's schools contribute equal amounts.
No magic schools are ever more important than others.

To add on to this, if you are trying to get more powerful with a spell like Firestorm or Glaciate, you probably want to max Conj first, because conj has so much kill with cross-school spells.
The elemental school is probably secondary. You don't want to focus on a single element unless it's Earth.

>year 2018
>birthday of Aralgee the sixth
>we're still not dead, but not alive anymore

Everything is going to be daijoubu, user.

remember wins in the OP

yeah, I'm glad we stopped except for exceptional feats

funny thing is, rlg is so dead now we wouldn't even have wins to put in most of our OPs

rlg is so dead I might as well just post a cute pony

I cleared lair and orc mines easily playing DrSu then got killed by a lame alligator with a million ways I could have escaped if I wasn't being stupid. I was low health and figured it wouldn't be able to hit me.

imo don't do that.

sunbutt is fat!
fat!

I would post roguelikes if i could actually play them
Sadly, that is not the case

Has anybody ever won DCSS with a DsCK? I've tried to win with this build multiple times but never made it past Lair.

crawl.xtahua.com/crawl/morgue/Gorglomux/morgue-Gorglomux-20180106-232340.txt

ah, my boi sseth
truly one of the best youtubers
I still can't afford the time needed to get into CDDA though, sadly

very good, not a roguelike

same. this genre is unplayable