What is objective truth?

What is objective truth?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski's_undefinability_theorem
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kids love Trix and it isn't for rabbits.

Math, not much else

Beyond cogito ergo sum its unknowable and therefore irrelevant

>that picture

I don't understand why the trebuchet meme got this popular with normies, it's not even that funny.

"This dragon I'm imagining is blue" is exactly as true as math is

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarski's_undefinability_theorem

short answer: it doesn't real

Yeah the 3 Descartes things. Axioms, claims about your own qualia, and I think therefore I am.

>"I"

It's funny because "Trebuchet" sounds like a bitch's name, you see.

No it doesn't

These retards think math is objectively true instead of what follows from a set of assumptions.

Look, newjacks. Axioms can be anything you want them to be. They aren't true for any reason other than they are asserted to be fixed truths for some mathematical system.

Generally, the sets of axioms are designed with a purpose- to be consistent and complete. But that doesn't have to be the case. You may want to see what math does without bivalence, or certain identities. The point is, the axioms of math are relative to the purposes for which they are constructed. Thus they aren't "objective truths". The truths of math simply follow from asserted rules.

Buddhist rebirth theory. We are all stuck in a cycle of life and death, suffering. We are attached to life through craving and we do not know this due to ignorance.

see

You're supposed to pronounce it like an uncultured valley girl with a hard t.

I pronounce it tree-bucket and you cant stop me

if I pulled out a knife and stabbed hitler between the ribs, and he dies immediately, then I am objectibely what killed him

You cant prove it though

>Math
>Objective
shiggidy diggidy

by that logic I cant even prove that he dead

You cant. Thats the entire point

what is this mentality called, if you think nothing can be proved, it has to have a name

Scepticism

The only truth a man has to live with is situational. Maybe you didn't get the memo but nothing will ever be definitely objective because people are just not supposed to agree on every fucking fact and opinion anybody can come up with. It's called common fucking sense and it's why your mom told you to respect other's opinion. Because fighting them is useless, you fucked up faggot.

>common fucking sense
The battle cry of those with no argument

disprove 1 + 1 = 2 then

Aristotle's laws of thought

>hume

>What is objective truth?
"op is gay" is objective truth

>set arbitrary axioms
>set logic dictated by arbirary axiom
>somehow "prove" the axioms based on logic dictated by the axioms
>believe its objective truth

existence

Looks like someone hasn't heard of Godel's Incompleteness Theorems

Relations of Ideas

There is no such thing as a "one" or a "two". Those are artificial concepts created by mankind.

Math is objective true. But just any math statement. "1+1=2" is not true. In fact, it's meaningless. But "If you assume [arithmetics axioms] are true, then 1+1=2" is an absolute true, although, unlike "untrue" statements, it says nothing about the world.
/thread

are you retarded? if im holding a single apple in my hand im only in possesion of 1 (one) apple and not an nth amount of apples

If sometimes we say that things are in some way and things are in that way, then what we say is objectively truth. Objective truth is the property that that kind of things that we say have in common, if that property is ever istantiated. If you want a serious discussion of truth theories read Conceptions of Truth by Wolfgang Kuehnne.

* then what we say is objectively true.

depends on your definition of an apple desu

Math is the closest thing we have to an objective truth.
Literally everything around you has been designed with mathematics as the basis. Your computer works because electricity has been described mathematically, your car works because all of its parts operations have been described mathematically etc

If something is a basic block of reality how can it not be objective?

math doesn't exist outside of your mind

Mathematical models and equations are approximations of the objective reality we encounter in our day-to-day lives. They are not the end-all be-all for objective truth because we still have paradoxes and anomalies that our models did not or cannot predict.

Exactly, thats why I said it's the closest thing to an objective truth and not it's THE truth. It's still a work in progress

autismus philosophus maximus here is your (you)