github.com/SSYGEN/blog/issues/11
github.com/id-Software/Quake-III-Arena/blob/master/code/game/bg_pmove.c
funender.com/quake/articles/strafing_theory.html
arxiv.org/pdf/1802.09085.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I give up

have a good demo day you guys

me whenst i dev

Man, the first couple weeks of learning something new is absolutely miserable until you start to get a handle on things.

This was easier than I thought it would be...

we're all gonna make it

when's the demo stream

not with that taste in waifus w'aint

let me guess, you're a kaworu fag

close

Programming a game is harder than you think. You know, udemy courses are useless.

A lot got done today. A ton of bug fixes, a lot of new effects, and sound effects were all added today. There's a lot more than just visuals now, so here's a video that's pretty much everything that's changed since yesterday.
files.catbox.moe/4z0yh9.webm

I've changed some details with the sound mixing since that video, but I'm pretty happy overall. While I don't have much of a game ready (you can't even die) for demo day, at least I got this into a state where I feel it's fun to just fly and shoot.

a video game where your important and have friends and spend your time figuring out how not to die instead of how to kill yourself

any good resources for complex 2D turn based battle systems in Unity? all I can find are outdated/extremely barebones tutorials, and I'm tired of doing basic stuff

Use something else for 2D. Godot, gamemaker, Lua, etc.

>at least I got this into a state where I feel it's fun to just fly and shoot.
gonna make it.

an user made a good tutorial for lua + love2d for your first 2d game.
Not sure if I can comment on the legitimacy because I only know GM, but it looks like something I'd love to follow if I didn't already use GM.
github.com/SSYGEN/blog/issues/11
It seems like it's moreso for after you're at least a little comfortable with the language, but I also saw Jon Romero recommend Lua scripting for new game devs. So look up tutorials for Lua if you're very very new

I don't have the time nor the energy to learn a new engine, and Unity offers a lot of stuff I enjoy like cloud saving and rather easy networking

Godot seems fun, but it still lacks a lot of things as far as I can tell

I don't have time to play every demo due to needing to work on my own game. Recommend a few essentials, please.

Wanna ask the same thing but for Godot, might be a great engine but I can hardly find any resources for the damn thing

the tail end of your plane looks very barren. I spent 90000 hours in paint to make a point

Still a day left for submissions

i have a game but im not going to submit it
i dont want you idiots posting stuff on my itch.io page

you don't have a game dumbe froge shitface

time to shitpost on every itch.io page

vr but with a controller

vr but only on one eye

vr but fun

Still works more or less. There are enough depth cues to still get a sense of the 3D space. Field of view goes to shit, though.

Does anyone know of a code collection for strafe jumping tricks and the like?
Or at least an in depth description that make the bugs (primarily) obvious?
There's lots of this for Q3/AFPS but when you consider other games like Crysis you'll often find them lacking in description other than how to perform them. And as anyone who has played these games will know they're very different in character.
I'm looking for candidates for an analog movement system that's more intimately based on the player abilities like in quake. Ways to go fast without sprint/dash.

I had fun in VR once. I was playing Warioland on that Virtual Boy emulator.

Was rushing to finish the stage but ended up breaking Blue's final attack. Thought it was pretty at least.

I don't know any other fancy writeups but I can tell you why Quake's strafe jumping works.

github.com/id-Software/Quake-III-Arena/blob/master/code/game/bg_pmove.c

On line 246 of that file the entity's current speed is calculated using a dot product. Technically the "correct" way to calculate that would actually be with the length of the Velocity vector, but dot product is a much cheaper.

In using a dot product the code introduces the bug that allows strafe jumping, because the dot product is comparing the entity's current facing with its current velocity, you can accelerate more than normal by rapidly turning at the point the velocity is measured.

Because there's no friction in the air, jumping continuously removes the correcting influence of the friction function called later in the update loop, allowing you to accelerate indefinitely as long as you turn fast enough every time you briefly land.

Isn't that right already? The dot product is done with the current character velocity and the 'wish direction' which is the current aim.

Where do I get started in Godot? know how to code, but am completely new to the engine and I understand it uses it's own language

I want to know what's the best place to go to get started with it

Did you try the official docs?

are they good? I don't have a lot of free time so was hoping I could get some help finding the best place to go to

If you mean it already allows strafe-jumping then yes.

If you wanted to do the same function without strafe-jumping then you'd replace the dot-product with a more expensive vector-length. Though this also makes movement reliant on the friction calculation done later to slow down and turn as you can no longer accelerate in a different direction if you're already going at max-speed.

As for other tricks, unless the code isn't available then you'll have to guess how they did their movement code, or mess around with intentionally fudged dashes/dodges/double-jumps. Quake is a simple one to track down because the code is readily available.

john carmack...?

Best thing about the Quake1-3 engines is that the network code is incredibly good and also lot of stuff. I'm still in awe how they fucked up Quake Champions so badly. Altough this is bit off-topic, sorry.

Yes I've read pmove. And there's plenty of writeups on this. It's not just about the dot product.
funender.com/quake/articles/strafing_theory.html
But I was looking for the other systems available. And not actually focused on Quake. I understand that rather well.
I'm not going to use any of them but having an understanding of already implemented options give you an easy way to test and evolve your own thing from the understanding of these systems.
Crysis is especially interesting to me because beyond the 1.0 bug that just let you fly the circle strafing in that game is very powerful while it doesn't impact the game as deeply as quake. It's more of an occasional move you do. The air control feels great aswell.

I'm just asking because I thought that with there being so many CPMA iterations now someone would have at least gathered that knowledge.
Why would the poster be Carmack? It's not hidden information or anything. It's GPLd code.

Yep. The step-by-step pretty much covers all the basics.

>quake netcode
I'm in awe that the industry still fucks up so badly. Just across the board afps is somehow still king.
Have you seen reflex netcode? It's amazing below 100 ping and on par with other games above. The difference is incredibly jarring.

I decided being able to wall jump while holding objects was a little too much. also improved physics for throwing and propel-shooting objects/enemies.

is this a kloana clone?

Partially it's because modern games are much more complicated in what they need to send (Battlefield has a lot more things happening on the field than Quake).

But then at least some blame can be toward how few programmers are enginedevs now. In those days, every programmer was an enginedev, there was no other way. Now everyone can afford to be lazy.

inspired by it. you have guns, melee weapons & gadgets. one of the gadgets the grabshot has mechanics strongly inspired by klonoa.

Where is the demo faggot reeeeeeeeeeee

Link that tutorial pls?

So, you traced over Dead Cells guy?

>the sled didnt explode far away

not gonna make it

>Link that tutorial pls?
lmao hai gais andrew price here nother quick tip blendah tutohial

The fuck nigga it looks fucking great
Have you see Celeste? Yeah, and that "art" sold thousands of copies and has daily 2k twitch viewers

>full end flower
keep these names as suggestive as possible nig

it looks ok. the blobby pixel shit mess that is Celeste, shouldn't be where the bar's set. it should be considered sub-par garbage.

imagine if you took all the time you spent on this general and instead actually devved ...

What do you mean by
> code collection for strafe jumping tricks and the like
?
Isnt strafe just relative movement left or right from hero POV?
Or you are talking about something else?

it comes down to one simple thing. current games do server side lag compensation, quake did clientside. server side favors high ping and initiaitive, whereas clientside is more even with no particular bias.

_ ____ __ ___ ____ _____

I write about this daily and have begun to rectify my habits and so can you. It's 11:30 and I'm going to bed now. Maybe you should schedule out time tomorrow to focus on improving yourself as a person first. I realized I wasn't being a nodev because I wasn't deving. I was being a nodev because I didn't have discipline and lived like a manchild scrub. Technically still a nodev right now but I'm doing one thing at a time.

Become a dev user, I believe in your ability to change.

then I would die

what's a game I could make using a UI framework instead of a game engine?

>tfw finally getting around to working on a design document for my game
feels nice

A clicker.

anything by googum

>time to refactor

Another example of cheaters fucking everything over.

clientside prediction is completely cheat safe, it can't affect the final result from the server in any way, it just shows you where to aim more accurately.

again recent games fail by turning hit detection over to the client which is an invitation to cheat as much as you like, just to save on server cpu time so they can cram more instances into a single machine and sell more rental time.

don't send a byte more than it's required to draw things on screen and there will be no cheating. yes, figuring out what's needed is hard, but it's gonna be better than any placebo anticheat would be

One thing I try to remember with behavior adjustment is how incremental change that builds on itself (like stairs) is more of a permanent solution than a sudden change (like a ladder). I dunno, it's not a perfect analogy but it works for me. And also remembering, it took a long time for me to establish bad habits, it's going to take awhile to establish different ones that I like better.

I don't think that's a realistic assessment.
We've got ridiculous amounts of power and bandwidth compared to back in the day and I don't think we've multiplied our actual use anywhere close to as much.
This smells more of poor architectural decisions and a lack of understanding for costs to player experience. Consider how PUBG's ping echo differ from the game packet response compared to other games.
They're obviously just wasting time and it's hurting the experience.
No that's not really a fair description.
Server side compensation is more 'fair' in the sense that each player is being gimped by their own connection regardless of the other player. If your opponent has 1 second of ping they have 1 second less to work with in effect. Raw
Clientside feels more accurate to us usually since we put more effort in thinking about where we're aiming and how shots land rather than the other players view. But you get shot around corners more. The other player doesn't necessarily need to respond to you as precisely. Tons of issues (even unintentional issues like duping if you try to pick up items at the same time). But in a no-cheat low-ping environment it's way simpler. And very effective.
Well that's orthogonal to this really. The server side vs clientside hit registration is more about what shots the server can accept or not. In a pure Clientside system you probably don't actually send the actual shots for verification you just let the clients say if they hit the other and where. Pruning player updates is for optimization and anti-wh. Works in both serverside and clientside systems.
The only real cure to cheating is to encrypt all the traffic and use something like Intel SGX (assuming it's perfect) to ensure reading/modifying the code is impossible.
Might happen.

... but also it gets dangerous to pat yourself on for "an attempt was made" tier bullshit. You've gotta do right by yourself too and put in the work. Some back-patting for dumb stuff is okay tho especially if you've had a down day/week

>Server side compensation is more 'fair'
it's less fair. you don't know what is being talked about. clientside PREDICTION and clientside DETECTION are two VERY DIFFERENT things.

>The only real cure to cheating is to encrypt all the traffic and use something like Intel SGX (assuming it's perfect) to ensure reading/modifying the code is impossible.
if you don't control client hardware all of what you said is useless. just like drm.

>FADE still not cracked

>Want to make a clone of Infinifactory
>Can code well in C# and C++
>I know Unreal, but the end product will be ultra bloated
>Don't want to use unity
>I could write this as an UWP app (free support for xbox) but the only 3D here is directX api in C++

What do? I basically want to have a core game class that will handle all the logic and then need an interface to represent this. How do I achieve maximum portability, minimum bloat and minimum need to learn?

If someone says Godot I quit

Updates to my dynamic cover system

C++ + OpenGL

Depends on how you define fair. What player is favored/disfavored.
Clientside detection means that either player will be on an equal footing in terms of their representation on the screen being reliable.
Same goes for serverside with time travel (CS). But with clientside detection you'll have players shoot at you for a long time before you're even told that's happening.
Do you know what Intel SGX is? It's effectively a way of controlling the hardware by leaving the code encrypted with the public key associated to the permanent private key in your CPU. The idea is to hold the key hidden from the owner aswell. It'd be very expensive to extract that key if they don't have vulnerabilities.
Any analogy to drm is misguided as drm is not hardware supported.
I'd rather you didn't dismiss it before you understand what it is. It's designed to run code securely on unsecured devices.
If you see flaws with SGX present them. If not then it's bulletproof. All you need that I haven't mentioned is a reliable distributor (think Stream).

But I don't see it happening at all. If people aren't even giving people temporary IP bans (say 6 months) or banning people across games there's no way they'd actually use such serious tools to stop cheating.

sdl2

>I know Unreal, but the end product will be ultra bloated
Make it less bloated

Is there a genre name for games that revolve around collecting information, like the Pokedex in pokemon, or the Hyrule Compendium in botw?

don't be so results oriented
refactoring feels great, it's like working out. You don't want to do it until it's done.

hey bae

>he "works out"
>he wastes time on doing things that don't get results

You mean 100% completion?

Looks good but if the cover they've picked too far away dont make them strafe backwards, they should turn and run towards it properly, otherwise it looks kinda silly when they crabwalk backwards at running speed.

oh yes thats right user, i love playing 100% completion games, thats my favourite genre of the video game!!

i want this flat shading meme to die

I don't think anyone would recognize that as a genre. It's more of a game feature.
Though there's games like Doodle god that are just about that.

I just realized the character you control has scoliosis

The games you listed are of entirely different genres and don't focus on making you complete a checklist. At best, what you're describing is a game mechanic.
If you want games that require you to do that shit as part of the main progression, try collectathons or those photography simulators.

it's not really clear from what i can find on such short notice, but are the memory regions encrypted on the fly or not? seems like if it's just read/write protected there's nothing stopping hardware dma

godot

>but are the memory regions encrypted on the fly or not?
The idea is that the decrypted code is never in memory but rather you read out encrypted code into your CPU and is then decrypted internally for execution. The encrypted code would be encrypted from the person distributing the software.
What's output from the encrypted code is arbitrary. Could be encrypted packages for instance. So that's pretty solid as even a PSK would be safe from the client.
I haven't read into the details or if they achieve this at all but just judging from the promise it seems pretty bulletproof.
But this category of problems (found this just now):
arxiv.org/pdf/1802.09085.pdf
Is still a thing.
So if it was ever gonna happen it's clearly delayed now because consumers need to own the protected chips.
Anyway, I think even with this kind of vulnerability it's quite involved to start cheating in a game protected like this. Most of them probably won't bother. It'd make cheats more expensive at the very least as the technical know-how requirement is bigger.

speak to me in a language I can hear

I quit.