History books, etc

Post god-tier history books, podcasts and documentaries

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
pastebin.com/xYCwsCz6
pastebin.com/iY9Ps8Rt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this board and crusader kings made me into a HREaboo, so im about to start this baby. his thirty years war books was great so im expecting good stuff. seems to be the definitive book on HRE.

Also is hardcore history worth getting into, or is a just a meme
Thanks in advance Veeky Forums

I'm reading it now and its pretty good. Personally, he goes a bit too fast for me, which is very understandable because there is just so much to cover, but you never (well, at least to the point where I've read it) get a sense of weight and importance of events. Because of this, I also wouldn't recommend it to casual readers. If you read Europe's Tragedy, though, then I'm sure you won't have a problem.

It is, Carlin is a terrific narrator.

I myself am gonna recommend Massie's biographies of Peter the Great and Catherine the Great. Pic related.

>2073889
Is there one episode or series that stood out? The punic nightmare series looks interesting

Subject on the book?

Meant for

Ghosts of the Ostfront and Kings of Kings are my personal favorites

Cheers. Have a rare pepe friend

Stop dissing based Menzies you fag

>Peter the based
Is he our guy?

does Veeky Forums have any recommended reading charts yet like Veeky Forums?

i feel meme potential is being missed if not

I want to learn more about the english civil war and the stuart period. Any suggestions for books?

Disappointing IMO. I was expecting more of a history in the style Iron Kingdom, instead it's kind of a cultural overview and from what I've read of it so far doesn't really go into the political aspects, military, etc. of the HRE.

Speaking of, Iron Kingdom is 10/10.

One of the best Veeky Forums books I've ever read, between this and Leopold's Ghost the Congo has been the subject of some amazing historical writing.

Damn good movie as well

only this
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

books lists on
Revolutionary England, 1642-1702
pastebin.com/xYCwsCz6
England, 1485-1642
pastebin.com/iY9Ps8Rt
so basically, one book list covers early stuarts and the other late stuarts, though there is overlap and general works listed that bridge the gap between the two

also I read Barry Coward's the Stuart Age, 1601-1714 and I'd say thats a good general overview on your period of interest. That said, you may have to read more specialized works if you want to really understand of a smaller period of time like the english civil war

I mainly mention the civil war because I recently read a book on it and really liked it, I think that's only my primary interest in the period since it's the only one I really know much about it.

Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll look into them.

No problem. I hope you find what your looking for