Was classical music only popular among Italians and Germans?

Was classical music only popular among Italians and Germans?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z2ISRMSIyX8
youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Y4U7wNZu-CU
youtube.com/watch?v=9QO9nmP61-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=-TGKJ9MgCOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Utxb-kzvFZU
youtube.com/watch?v=bQLA4cUv1IQ
youtube.com/watch?v=JcFHuUJE0mU
youtube.com/watch?v=SpfGfqkiZCo
youtube.com/watch?v=DTeDeZA3EEA
youtube.com/watch?v=IqJZPzi_Odw
youtube.com/watch?v=fBFigs-fjLs
youtube.com/watch?v=v1ItcF7PWRM
youtube.com/watch?v=3j1Coekvbc0
youtube.com/watch?v=QlLEM8TH5VU
youtube.com/watch?v=FFPjFjUonX8
youtube.com/watch?v=WYDJIJVW10M
youtube.com/watch?v=d7ZzZcbH3pg
youtube.com/watch?v=MiOmEmZM7fo
youtube.com/watch?v=KIbQ1XrtLno
youtube.com/watch?v=gYOEyzBFYa4
youtube.com/watch?v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, it was pretty big throughout Europe

>What is tchaikovsky

I just realized that I dont know any english composers.

Wagner but he's German.

No, but they was the most interested in

What's the appeal of classical music?

You're not missing out on much.

'tis pleasant to the ears.

If you mean classical music as in classical music from between 1750 and 1820 then sort of.

It was popular in many places but Italy and Germany produced the most composers in this seven decades.

It sounds good.

Nice to dance to or go to sleep to.

underrated post

It's very particular in that it's ((((((((not)))))))) degenerate.

So kind of the opposite of most modern music, really.

What does non-degenerate mean? Lame and boring?

Anything you don't listen to.

Baroque and Romanticism are better than Classical

>baroque
Debatable but yes.

Not really. And I bet you just posted this for randomness because it's a very strange to prefer those two polar opposites. Glenn Gould for example believed Bach was the greatest composer who ever lived, believed many Classical composers were among the greatest, but disliked Romanticism so much he thought people should stop attending Tchaikovsky concerts. He also said he only played Chopin a few times a year on his worst days.

>lame and boring

youtube.com/watch?v=z2ISRMSIyX8

tbqh 1650-1880 were probably the least interesting years for the Western concert music tradition.

Wait why? What is it I said?

Sounds like something I'd hear in a Disney movie about anthropomorphic animals

Nigger, that is the lamest, most boring shit. Here

youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y4U7wNZu-CU

>Muh overemphasis on symphonic works
>Muh progression towards total homogeneity in texture and tone
>Muh stagnant functional harmony
Art song, baroque opera and Wagner were the only good things in those years.

youtube.com/watch?v=9QO9nmP61-Q

Dowland and Britten are the only ones worth caring about.

>romanticist composers
Get out.

youtube.com/watch?v=-TGKJ9MgCOQ

youtube.com/watch?v=Utxb-kzvFZU

>Anglo wannabe crap
Get out.

youtube.com/watch?v=bQLA4cUv1IQ

>not using counterpoint until your hands hurt
youtube.com/watch?v=JcFHuUJE0mU

>using more than one note
youtube.com/watch?v=SpfGfqkiZCo

There was a higher rate of homosexuality among Romanticist composers than Baroque or Classical, matey.

>ignoring France, and Russia

What's up with his portrait, Veeky Forums?

>le apprentice theme
>good

ok

>Reminder that this is what the average Italian boy looked like

>ignoring France
Music is argubaly the facet of the arts in which we've least contributed. It seems that our role in fashioning music was sacrificed to be more prominent in litterature and painting instead. However, if you're saying that France sought music as hungrily as Italy and Germany would have, then yes.

>Russia
Russia gets my approval in music though.

Are you thinking of The Sorcerer's Apprentice? That's a different work by Dukas.

Nah it's the theme they use on the British Apprentice TV series.

are you a low IQ black or what

>Rameau
>Lully
>Couperin
>Berlioz
>Ravel
>Poulenc
>Varese
>Messiaen
nah, you guys are fine.

Oh didn't know that.

>listening to classical music because you think it makes you smart

Ah, thanks! Might be that I'm too musically uncultured to know of any of these, barring Berlioz and Lully.

Holst

You've given us Berlioz, Debussy, Ravel, and Messiaen. That's better than most other countries in this world. I'd say you did alright.

>descending scales make a better song than passion and power

>listening to the most vanilla and boring classical composer

>show two black composers
>Italians and Germans
Wew

classical music was the only kind of music back then

No.

Italy and Germany are black countries f a m.

Everything you posted doesn't even compare to the likes of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi or Handel.

Elgar, Purcell

Most people who use words like 'better' in such a context don't know what they're talking about.

>too musically uncultured
Not necessarily. In my opinion, the Baroque period is quite overlooked (with the exception of Bach and Händel perhaps). Personally, I find it to be one of the most exciting periods of music, especially when seen in a Veeky Forums context. The instruments commonly used in a modern symphonic orchestra were bot fully developed yet and you had all those remnants from the middle ages still, such as bagpipes or various lute variants; the look of a baroque orchestra with historical instrumentation is always very warm, earthy and wooden. The sound of these instruments that are often fairly hard to play is often not as crystal clear as is the case with modern instruments but retains hints of a certain primordial character which also resounds in the music that was still closer to its roots in folk music. People are still rediscovering a lot and experimenting in order to attempt to recreate music as it was like at the time it was written. To me personally it's a bit like the HEMA of music. I occasionally discover a certain piece of music which I've listened to in a classical interpretation and it sounds completely different when it's played in a more historically accurate interpretation turning it into a completely different experience. This period was also particularly radiant in France - which shouldn't be surprising given the importance and power of France during the Baroque period.

youtube.com/watch?v=DTeDeZA3EEA
youtube.com/watch?v=IqJZPzi_Odw
youtube.com/watch?v=fBFigs-fjLs
youtube.com/watch?v=v1ItcF7PWRM
youtube.com/watch?v=3j1Coekvbc0
youtube.com/watch?v=QlLEM8TH5VU

Also the titan Chopin.

Isn't he Polish?

French father. Did all of his composing and performing in Paris. Watch out though, angry Poles are lurking about...

based lully

YO TCHAIKOVSKY IMMA LET YOU FINISH BUT DVORAK'S NEW WORLD SYMPHONY IS THE BEST SUITE OF ALL TIME

OF ALL TIME

how do i get into listening to classical music more?

There are a lot of hours-long best-of compilations of various composers on youtube. i'd start there.

Glenn Gould also traveled around with the only chair he would sit on while playing. Let that speak for his autism. But I agree with you about the other user. To like baroque and romantic music but not classical is incomprehensible without an explanation.

Personally I prefer classical and romantic for the emotional appeal, which in comparison, one might say is absent in baroque. I think the golden age of music was born with Bach and died with Tchaikovsky. All the composers I've listened to who lived in those years produced music that is as much intellectually stimulating for the technical complexities and intricacies, as it is emotionally captivating with profound expressions of passion. Anything before Bach feels too mechanical and technical while all that follows Tchaikovsky is convoluted with excessive expressionism and often times a blatant disregard for fundamental classical theory. The capstone of this golden age is of course Beethoven; the very pinnacle of this capstone being his final string quartets.

Although I am fond of a few composers who followed him, I think if no other music were created after those string quartets, the world would be no worse off.

A little repetitive desu.

>he's a classicalist
lmao. I sure love listening to boring string shit instead of the powerful brass and percussion of romanticism.

youtube.com/watch?v=FFPjFjUonX8

Music was boring as shit until this.

I wonder if tolkien thought of that when he came up with the music of ainur

>Ravel
Those others are legit but really fucking Ravel, how pleb can you get.

hillbilly here.
picked up 3 johann sebastian bach cd's this weekend.
the art of fugue BWV 1080
the musical offering BWV 1079
The sonatas for viola da gamba and harpsichord, BWV 1027–1029

Purcell
William Byrd
Ralph William Vaughan
Gustav Holst
John Dowland
John Bull
Thomas Tallis

I love this 20th century Jap shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=WYDJIJVW10M
youtube.com/watch?v=d7ZzZcbH3pg
youtube.com/watch?v=MiOmEmZM7fo
youtube.com/watch?v=KIbQ1XrtLno

you need to be gassed that's trash

Can we also stress that a very small amount of the population ever heard this music and the overwhelming portion of society would have only known about small regional folk songs played at festivities.

No. Italy and Germany/Austria were just some of the main centers of culture at the time.

Don't say that while a Pole is around. They'll turn you into sausage.
Chopin was ethnically Polish (his birth name was Fryderyk Francizek Chopin), but born to a French father and Polish mother. He spoke French but spoke Polish much better and was a lifelong Polish nationalist.

Keith Richards

is William Tell English? I know him only because of the William Tell Overture

Folk music best music. Check out the ensemble Piffaro. or the Unicorn Ensemble if you want to get medieval. Saltarello 2 is my jam

Handel, nigga

William Tell is a famous Swiss folk Hero. He's not a composer.

The Overture is from an Opera about him.

>Handel was actually German

I had no idea. Maybe Britain is just retarded culturally

>Baroque
Gluttony and sloth, for the amusement of the pampered elite

>Classical
Cold rationalism

>Romanticism
Heroic, passionate, for young men and women full of power in the height of their lives.

youtube.com/watch?v=gYOEyzBFYa4

a great classical piece right there.

Saariaho is actually Finnish.

Yeah I was just using Glenn Gould as an extreme example. I'm fully aware of his personality and some of his views. Also post some of Beethoven's best string quartets if you're still lurking. I've been listening to nothing but Mozart recently (who is probably my favorite classical composer).

Elton John

It's the purest form of art.

He was kinda shit though

Is reggae only popular among Jamaicans?

They had Purcell, but after that the English where a bunch of cucks and decided to import all of their composers. By the time they started producing composers again they were 50 yrs behind rehashing the same romantic shit that continental Europe had already gotten over.

>hes only listened to Bolero

pretty pleb mistake desu

Can a classic-music lover help me out? I'm looking for a composition of either one composers works or of a few, the youtube video has a thumbnail an angel statue holding a golden sword, I'm pretty sure it's around a couple hours long and is usually posted on /pol/ for white nationalist shit (for that reason I believe Europa might be in the title), sorry if it isn't much to go on but I listened to it once and haven't been able to find it again. Very opera-y with female vocals if that helps

Wagners Die Walküre?

I'm a bit of a pleb frankly, I don't listen to anything that isn't served up to me at concerts but I've greatly enjoyed Purcell and Vaughan Williams.

good job, but here's his true Magnum Opus

youtube.com/watch?v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ