Why do angels say "do not be afraid!" when they arrive to people in the Bible?

Why do angels say "do not be afraid!" when they arrive to people in the Bible?

Do they look horrifying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EKh_U2NnIs8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because they're Nordic aliens from Plaedes

You'd be scared too if some autistic Swede woke you up in the middle of the night saying he has a message for you from god

horrifying or not, them just showing up out of nowhere delivering divine truths is gonna' freak people out.

also yes, some of them are.

>also yes, some of them are.
source?

You tell me

it was a common belief that if you saw a god without the god wanting you to you could be killed. often in these encounters they aren't sure if it's YHWH himself or an angel

where is this description taken from

probably shrooms

ED-E is that you
Oh God what the fuck

Ezekiel

DUDE

the bible

10 And their appearance (for they were all four of one fashion) was as if one wheel had been in another wheel.
11 When they went forth, they went upon their four sides, and they returned not as they went: but to the place whither the first went, they went after it, and they turned not as they went.
12 And their whole body, and their rings, and their hands, and their wings, and the wheels were full of eyes round about, even in the same four wheels.
Ezekiel 10:10-12

>evangelion
>having any knowledge of anything christian whatsoever
it was the equivalent of a western cartoon adding something superficially buddhist-seeming

See but I always find it very interesting to see how cultures misinterpret each other especially easy to see when they are lazy about it

that's metal

yes.

>jewish mysticism

Some of them were, there was also the possibility that any time an angel made itself known, something horrible was about to happen (not that they brought exclusively bad news, but when they appeared to someone directly it was typically something pretty big going on).

Biblical angels were never "dudes with wings" as they are portrayed today, that's just a Roman approximation. Pic related is a statue of goddess Victoria.

Actual angels in the Bible were absolutely terrifying at least according to the authors.

They're powerful beings and therefore scary. And I'm sure anything remotely supernatural existing in the real world is scary.

They could look like anything.

Remember when they came unto Lot and Abraham, they just looked like dudes. Same in Tobit.

If somebody saw something so powerful, they'd probably be at least a little bit nervous.

The better question is when angels become to be cute little gays with wings instead of monsters on par with demons.

kawaii

Its amazing how clueless are "christians" about their mythology, they live secular lives and are culturally dominated by european paganism completely ignorant about their own faith.
The blonde winged women imagery is not from your holy book lads.

I would be too

>11 When they went forth, they went upon their four sides, and they returned not as they went: but to the place whither the first went, they went after it, and they turned not as they went.
literally "turn 360 degrees and walk away"

>The Apostles from fucking Berserk are more Biblically-accurate depictions of angels than are painted on the walls of most cathedrals.

They can take any format. I imagine they choose one that makes a great impression to save some convincing

rlly makes u think

You got really excited about that revelation (or should I say revolution!?), didn't you?

Why is the Bible so fucking spooky?

euphoric

Because jews hate humanity

checked

Looks like some alien shit

youtube.com/watch?v=EKh_U2NnIs8

>guild symbol
my nigga

the god of the old testament was a pretty picky fucker. He literally strikes a dude down for accidentally dropping a quarter of the ark of the covenant. He tests people constantly. If you choose wrongly, you're dead.

Because they bring God's message. Gods message is don't be afraid of his messengers. Horrifying looking is subjective. But no they're not horrifying.

The Angels sure look similar to subatomic particles no? Because it's finally time for you to understand. Google quantum.

Read what the fallen angels did in the Book of Enoch.

All metaphors. The eyes mean that they are very observant and that they are all-seeing to an extent. The wings are also most oftenly interpreted as them being able to be everywhere and do a proper job as god's messengers. The rings are pretty much the same as the story behind wedding rings, infinity and immortality and all that jazz. All the peope in this thread are retards if they believe the bible is literal in any of its descriptions.

what's the source on that pic, I would love to use it for an album cover. if it's not copyrighted

>all those descriptions of angels as anything but human beings are metaphorical
>those ones where they look exactly like human beings are literal
Since God supposedly created them as functional entities embodying abstract concepts and ideals rather than biological organisms, why would they NOT look like floating metaphors?

>Because they bring God's message.
>Gods message is don't be afraid of his messengers.
I see.