So what are these?

So what are these?
They've been found in Zimbabwe, Botswana, and South Africa.
There's so many of them that estimates based on density suggest millions, but no two of them have been found to be identical.

Also, archeology suggests that despite the walls being too tall to easily climb over, there were no doors.

They're obviously forts. Those are bailies. Having doors in bailies just creates a weak point. You just use a ladder and planks and stow stuff in whatever baily belongs to you. Wouldn't surprise me if there were coverings for some, but they might have just used leantos or whatever inside.

>baily
?

>motte and baily
>-the motte

Nothing, random piles of rocks, nothing fucking more.

remains of spaceships

these are fortified villages, like the neolithical ones.
Why would it be anything else ?

alien artifacts

You can't just assume everything is a fort, that antiquated way of thinking about stone structures ended in the 20th century.

How sure are you that you want to know, OP?

Surprise!

They are stone circles.

Like Stonehenge, Er Lannic in Brittany, etc.

Looks like everybody built these all over the world at some time in prehistory.

Fascinating shit.

>Looks like everybody built these all over the world at some time in prehistory.
Makes sense. No internet for shitposting, no TV, no book, etc... What else were the lads supposed to do to pass the time while their mammoth steaks were getting cooked by their girls?

Right on, and we'll line that shit up with the stars and the sun and shit because...well...what the hell else is there?

>That shit has to be important if it's up in the sky like that

- t. caveman shaman

searching baily, nothing
searching bailey,....

>using Google
I found it fine on DuckDuckGo.

>Anthropologist, Hindu-expert and linguist, Dr Cyril Hromnik,[7] postulates that Dravidian traders, originally from the Gomti river in India, mined and inter-married with the Kung during the first millennium AD and that their descendants were responsible for building the terraces and stone circle dwellings that meander along Mpumalanga's escarpment as "astrological clocks," as well as for creating the Quena - or Hottentot - race.
kek

We have similar stuff in Ireland, they're just enclosures around settlements where people keep their livestock. Livestock dependent societies usually have structures like that, and in Africa you find this all over the Rift Valley highlands where cattle are most important (in contrast to the tsetse fly infested lowlands where cattle can't survive). Stuff like Great Zimbabwe or Thimlich Ohinga in Kenya are more elaborate versions of the same form. There are also earthen examples, like the enormous enclosures at Bigo in Uganda, but they don't stand out like stone ones do.

If they were for cattle, I'd imagine they'd be:
>much shorter
>have a gap in the wall where the gate used to be
>less elaborate and unique
>much less common, given that the areas they appear in were not supposed to have a high population at the time the structures are from

Elaborate stuff like Great Zimbabwe was for far more than just cattle, I just meant that the design originally comes from such pastoral enclosures. Stuff like the OP image isn't especially elaborate though, it looks just like a stone version of pic related.

As for the lack of openings, it looks to me like a lot of them do have them, though it's hard to tell seeing as all the images I can find are low quality. Maybe some also had doors with lintels, like Great Zimbabwe and Thimlich Ohinga do, which have now collapsed.

I'm not sure about the numbers, is there a credible source for that?

I did a bit more research, and apparently this was one of the most heavily farmed areas in Africa.

This is from "Order, openness, and economic change in precolonial southern Africa: A perspective from the bokoni terraces."
>The Bokoni settlement in Mpumalanga, South Africa is the largest known terraced site in Africa. The settlement consisted of intensively farmed terraced fields spanning 150 kilometres along the eastern escarpment. It flourished from around 1500 until the 1820s, after which it all but disappeared.
>We argue that Bokoni formed part of a decentralised social order that was built around the logic of production and was conducive to dynamic forms of accumulation. This decentralised, cooperative regional order was replaced in the early nineteenth century by a new order built around the logic of extraction and war. This new order militated against the development of decentralised intensive farming and emphasised instead the accumulation of military technology – most notably guns and the construction of military strongholds. As a result, the population of Bokoni plummeted and terraced farming fell into disuse in the region.

Yep. Standing stones is like the opposite of tipping cows.

Ritual.

Or they just had ladders.

Or both.

From what I hear though, African tribes who have been in such regions for centuries have claimed that the structures were already there when they arrived.

Tribes were moving around the region a lot in the 18th-19th centuries due to Boer and Zulu attacks. The people there today probably only arrived in the area recently.

I am reminded of Sumeria homes.

*Indus

calf birthing pens, obviously

Graham Hancock did some "research" into them, saying they had some kind of musical resonance of some kind. I don't remember the specifics, but he suggested that they were the remains of an ancient civilization (which seems likely enough, if not necessarily of the kind he suggested).

Graham Hancock is also a fucking kook who believes that literally every single geologist on spaceship Earth is a card-carrying member of The Grand Conspiracy and that everyone who disagrees with him either holds a personal grudge against him, or they're a sheep unworthy of his attention.

He's British so everything he says sounds legit, but really it's all cherrypicked horseshit. Kudos to him for keeping it afloat so long and being able to make a tidy living off it all.

its the ayy lmao

looks like those

>"lemme fetch some water out of the loo"
otherwise it looks comfy as fuck but this just kills it for me

>he's a kook
>he's a cherry picker
>he's paranoid

6/10, your arguments were all sound, but they lack citation, so I have to take points off

>shorter
why ?
>gap
pic related
>less elaborate and unique
cuz "city planning" was a thing in africa ?
>less common
they are in one of the areas of africa most used for farming

>they had some kind of musical resonance