/domg/ - Dominions General

Mapmaking edition.

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.
The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 3000 units, 900 spells and 400 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.
It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.
Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/wjbSA98Y (embed)

>Drawfaggotry
dominionsdraws.imgur.com/

>DOMINIONS 5 IS OUT.

>Where do I get it?
Currently only available on Steam.
store.steampowered.com/app/722060/Dominions_5__Warriors_of_the_Faith/

>Manual
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5manual.pdf
illwinter.com/dom5/dom5tables.pdf

>Mod inspector
larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

>Multiplayer guide
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1212948582

>Debug mod
dropbox.com/s/oo492x2cs8vag34/debug509.zip?dl=0

>How do I change the fonts?
Replace guifont.ttf, guifont_fancy.ttf and guifont_texty.ttf in the game's 'data' folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Dominions5\data usually).

>Is there an easier way to play multiplayer?
rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dominions-4-pbem-manager-new-stuff.104015/
Works for Dominions 5 just as well.

>Completed games
Submit them here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuclmaCiRo8vcTztsKjPJxnBgRDE-E1uNvE5j0x5wDZMMhRA/viewform
Results:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OxILAa3Y_O7Vk2NFhKAAQfStHqh1WJXMkGCim9sQ_ns/edit#gid=1292233344

>OP pastebin
Just copypaste it and link the previous thread below.
pastebin.com/RbFWcFcU (embed)

>Previous Pantokrator:

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ModalVerbs
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1325164264
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for sacred cavalry

If I'm blood hunting on a fort province and I get attacked, will my blood hunters get caught and attacked or will they retreat inside the castle?

They arent considered patrolling when they bloodhunt, so the bloodhunters do not get attacked at all
Its also a Legit strat to fort your bloodhunting provinces btw so thats a step in the right direction

ty

Does enslave mind have a priority? will it target commanders over chaff?

No, it usually targets closest enemies or maybe the most alluring hp-wise (i.e. monsters and giants), but it won't work on mindless, so if your opponent is a necromancer leading a lot of skeletons he will be enslaved right away.

Dryads are CUTE! Pandomination!

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=ModalVerbs

We need 1-2 vanilla nations in here. Phlegra is taken, but Phaeacia is free. I will join the game as some vanilla nation too, if there won't be enough players.

How viable is it to shit out tons of assassins?

Basic human assassins can't reliably kill shit so they aren't usually good. Give them water bottles and they'll be annoying though. Mage assassins like Baobhan Sidhe and Empoisoners are quite powerful, though.

Depends on what nation you are and who you're fighting.

If your assassins are cute magical girls like Dryads or Baobab Sidhes or even magical guys like Empoisoners it can definitely be worth it. If they're just like your regular-ass no-magic human guys like LA Marignon's Assassins, it's not worth it. There are some corner cases like EA Abysia's flying Demonbred or LA Abysia's sacred Slayer Worms which are very much worth it in some cases but still not worth spamming outside of meme strategies.

I find that ninja are more reliable for expanding than jomon's troops, though.

They're ok against indies but they're going to get wrecked versus players more often than not.

How do you know when the enemy are out of commanders to assassinate without wasting lots of turns?

>EA Abysia's flying Demonbred
These guys are cap-only and can easily die to a Bean Sidhe protecting herself. They can assassinate in sieged forts, I'll give them that.

Regular-sized indie provinces often have only two commanders, so just send in three assassins to be sure and you're pretty safe.

Sometimes though the indies have a priest tag along, so that seemingly guaranteed three squad assassination will be a botched expansion effort if you didn't notice and/or are unlucky at the same time

That's why it's a corner case. They're obviously not viable in every situation but they're definitely a step above most regular assassins. The ability to fly means they can reach the target in one turn without needing to craft them items for it and their improved mobility means they're much more efficient at doing stuff like taking down lone commanders ferrying reinforcements to the frontline.

That's a furry.

>tfw you're executing a plan that requires the cooperation of an unreliable ally and now you're just anxiously waiting for the next turn to see if he's going to fuck you over

>tfw Hinnom got an extension but you don't remember him asking the admin for it

dom 5 or dom 4 ?

Definitely 5. There's no more reason to buy Dom4 since 5 is a straight upgrade in almost every way and it's where the multiplayer is at.

If you just want a cheap way to see what the game is like in singleplayer before committing to buying 5, don't waste your money by buying 4 for cheap but simply pirate 5.

CoE 5, obviously. Joking aside, all games just improve on the previous ones, barring small changes here and there like changing the game OST that can be argued to be for the worse. Plus the most fun of the game is in multiplayer, and good luck finding players for Dom 4 or 3, or 2, or 1.

Thanks for the replies, the dom 5 steam review percentage not being as high as dom 4's made me a little uneasy about it, so that clears it up.

How can i protect my labrats from lesser horror spam? I'm playing MA C'tis but info for any nation would be nice too.

Now that the dust has settled
What is the verdict on Phlegra?

Wait until some pbems finish.

What are you talking about? Why does your research mages assaulted by horrors? Astral Corruption?
In general weak mages are powerless against horrors, even against lesser ones, and it's not worth protecting them just buy new research-slaves.

pic related what I imagine most diplos boil down to

>neighbor moves a doomstack onto our border
>"how about we go kill your other neighbor"
Pretty much yeah.

You're wrong

My cap is being spammed with the send lesser horror ritual. At least I assume that's what's happening.

The send horror spells are a remote attack rather than assassination, they shouldn't be attacking your mages if they're researching

On further inspection it seems my guys already had horror marks from prior shenanigans. Disregard all that, I suck cocks.

tfw fat neutral communion but forgot about chill auras
tfw killed every human mage in my army with chill auras

webm/utube that shit motherfucker

>Nun kills

the casting is trash on both sides (mine would be fine if I'd remembered about chill auras), it's just 1.2k skeletons plus hordes against no bless no buff garms

the garms form a wall and dont die for a long time while the enemy mages cast banishment until they hit fat cap from the cold and the spectral units break through with better attack density and higher attack skill from power of the sepulchre

What the hell were the 36 seithkona even doing?
Horde?

horde, solar rays and dust to dust
basically nothing

only 6 were set to become comm slaves too
the only excuse for this is being a (very) new player

That's a wee bit topheavy.

*throne rushes while no one is looking*

Threadly reminder that Yomi needs a buff

Ignoring a reminder I received recently and buffing Pangaea again.
t. Kris

Are there any good mods besides Worthy Heroes yet?

Better Arena

Your favourite mod.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1325164264

hype?

also
>52 hrs in Doms5
>26 hrs in Doms4
>14.7 hrs in CoE4

The main thing that bothers me is these looked like poorly done traces.

Holy shit those nuns.

I figured that I'd very likely lose this battle, but I'm still not pleased with my scripting here. The mass casting of Banishment worked fine, and the unbuffed Garms held the line for a good amount of time, but the massed Dust to Dust should probably have been changed.
Nornas and Skratti did nothing very worthwhile.

It's just spooks and giants in a big line with a bunch of fireworks.

>(very) new player
Obviously.
I have very little experience playing with Communions, so I figured I'd only script some of them to be slaves and see how that worked out.

What does berserk bonus actually add to?

Probably stays them from the yaskbar.

The berserk value is equal to the bonus Strength, attack skill, natural protection you get, and the defense penalty you get as well

Have you been using skrattir as com slaves? That's literally the only thing Utgard is good at - having lots of cheap com masters with top-heavy regen communions

the mass casting of banishment did far less than you think, MR of spectrals is 17 after protection of the sepulchre, most of the kills came from raise dead and horde of skeletons

dust to dust was a mistake, but because it should've been wither bones instead

I am actually liking Conquest of Elysium so far. True, it has many problems mentioned in the threads I saw thanks to the archive like: independent attacks on your resource sites can be annoying, some faction choices are dependant on the Era like Bakemono wanting an Era with more towns for more sacrifices, moving your dudes on the map can be tedious. But I dig how it's basically smaller scale Dominions with magic research tied to an individual mage, I like the feeling of protecting your little country from various dangerous monsters roaming it (like wolves! Or deers!), how different factions want different things for their economies to work (that's in Dominions too but I still enjoy it here in a different way) and reading the unit lore is fun, especially if it's for the same units between Dominions and Elysium so that you can see the differencies.

CoE does lots of little things well and is filled with typical Illwinter creativity, but it does the big things poorly and is fundamentally a shit game at its core.

The ideas behind it are awesome - sacrifices and realm travel and literally digging a hole to hell and being able to holy your way to Armageddon, and just how the dwarves are interesting overall - but then the actual gameplay is garbage. Early game is so slow that you can barely do anything, losing your starting commander is basically a loss condition, and by the time that you have enough resources for it to actually be a strategy game, you have an insane amount of micro required every turn just to protect your stupid little houses from stupid little deer

The problem is that that's just how the game works. You can add all the cool features to CoE that you want - and it's already full of them! - but it's still at its core going to be a shitty game.

Yeah, that's actually a fairly common sentiment, I think.

It does have some nice features and could be a very cool game it's just...dammit, Illwinter.

Why can I never get communions right?
What kind of slave/master ratio do you need on average to not have your slaves floppin over after like every fight?
It also often feels like I'm not getting the most out of my fort turns when I'm recruiting cheap slaves.
Is it all in my head?

For a lot of nations, you have a generically good mage option, then you build them, then when the fights come you put a script together based on what you have.

For some communion nations, you need to plan what you're going to cast first, and then get the right slaves/masters for your script.

Do I have the slaves scripted to Holdx6 then stay behind troops?
I don't want them casting spells after their script runs out right?

no matter what the slave is a power of the spheres and light of the northern star master cast will help a fuckton

if slave base skill is higher than master base skill then that usually makes fatigue incredibly low, when you have slave skill = master skill pre-spheres casting it means it'll be higher for all but 1 master

Just script Cast: Communion Slave and nothing else. Communion slaves can't do anything after casting the spell, at least until the communion breaks, so they'll just hang out wherever you put them.

What's the equation to determine actual protection from armor protection and natural protection? It doesn't seem to be in the manual that I can find.

Niefelheim I'm sending you 30 this turn.

Who would win:
>an elder cyclops with items worth up to 60 gems
>a couple of tritons

The one that can actually hit the broad side of a barn.

Calling UW shit is fun and all but UW indies dont play around like their land based cousins.

>Attack Skill 8
Is this a joke?

>giving your """SCs""" trample
If not for that he'd have won.

It's either a joke or a complete newbie
>8 Attack
>has all the paths needed for crafting a Brand but still uses a shitty spear
>Trample
>plenty of Encumbrance (especially if he plans on casting buffs) but no Reinvigoration
>no defensive abilities apart from high Protection

>especially if he plans on casting buffs
It buffed itself so much it went above 70 fatigue before combat even started, and kept falling over 100.

How game changing for some nations would it be if encumbrance from equipment took in account the unit's size and strength?

Would tossing a shroud on a vampire if I take reforming flesh work?

Not that it's a good idea... but It seems like it would work.

If you use pbem manager your hours dont count.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would be a big waste to take Reforming Flesh just for shrouded Vampires though.

How busted would a nation be where every commander was an assassin and most if not all your troops were stealthy?

Mage-assassins are pretty good and if they're sacred...wew.
It comes close to being TNN-ish though, otherwise.

Go for it, we'll see.

I want .... to INNOVATE

I mean 30% regen on a unit that has 15 hp.. what could go wrong?

Fucking OP is what it is.

>implying 5hp/round regeneration is OP
>not making prophetized UW royal with ring of regen, regen bless, HP+ items to give it 150% regen of 100+HP in friendly dominion. Or just with a shroud to go into enemy dominion.

Vampires are cool and all, but they're also one dust to dust away from being killed no matter how much regen you put on them

The descriptions are GOAT. I wish there was a mod inspector for it.

Making sure the slave has the right paths helps a lot.

Would a shroud work on your pretender outside his dominion?

Trolls having beatiful singing voices and some people speculating that they might be distant relatives of Sirens is my favorite piece so far.

Don't send him anything!

map

Extremely ded.

Will the tower have any special sites associated with it? Or a throne?

What kind of an evil Bakemono monster would sacrifice a cute Onnanoko girl in order to summon a weak Akuma devil? Every self-respecting Kishi knight must Korosu kill a fucktuck like that if he sees Ichi one.

it's a start site for one nation.

not sure what im going to do about thrones. i could just leave them as normal or try to make specific throne sites on the map (i think i figured out a way to do this, but the game creator has to turn all the thrones to 0 and keep the points req at a specified number)

Is the tower one giant province?

Nibba I ain't summoning no weak demons.

Keikaku means plan.

I too, speak the nihongon user-san. Konnichiwa.