itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-19

> Game Jam (Small World)
itch.io/jam/agdg-small-world-jam

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627 (embed)

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ (embed)
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w (embed)

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LogeKEKKavM
forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6644630/#Comment_6644630
youtube.com/watch?v=PFDu9oVAE-g
youtube.com/watch?v=E7IKBRqOz8Q
inlovewithaghost.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7jIhHBm2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Describe your game in an MS Paint that you spend 30seconds or less on

here

never give up!

I enjoy crafting mechanics in games and I hope to see more games with crafting.

i give up

>fantasymusica.org
m8 you've got to remove this site from the list nobody is going to use any of these songs in a million years

I've used them in my jam games

I'm about to work on spell crafting for my VR game.
Going to do it so you find spell components, and scrolls, and they can make "pieces" of spells.
By pieces I mean elements, like fire, frost, electricity etc, and then "type" of spell, like bolt, ball, wall, ray, and then modifiers or extra effects.
So you can build fire bolt and put homing on it for homing fire bolt, or make ray of frost instead
This is the intent anyway.

reposting for shits and gigs

going from rough sketch to pixel art

show me your WIP art, anons

They say Star Wars Galaxy was a great MMO when it came to crafting, but I've never seen a blogpost or a video explaining what, exactly, made it so great...

For my game(concept) I'm thinking if I should have minigames associated with crafting, but I'm not sure if they'd merely be a nuisance in the end?

>pixel art

10 good boy points to whoever guesses what this is

tnank game

FTL

>anime
yikes

+10 good boy points
No budget tonk gaem

+3 bad boy points

WIP background. Aiming for a factory aesthetic but this is just cobbled-together nonsense atm. Needs more cranes and sheets of metal and shit

I like this

>yikes
ouch!

Can I make a game that feels and looks like one from the PS2 / Gamecube era in the UE4? Especially when it comes to lighting / shaders.

I wish the tanks wouldn't just turn black, but instead first flash intently.

>start writing the story for my game
>story is actually pretty good
>start releasing it in increments in web novel format
>making $100/day from advertisements alone

Why even make a video game?

>feel like gushing about how amazing /agdg/ actually is, which I think is easily looked over or taken for granted, but there's a fuckton of great OC, hilarity and stupidity, hardworking individuals, a great history that's constantly building, random success stories, empathetic stories of demoralization and triumph, a confluence of every patrician-tier pursuit under one umbrella...
anyhow, how's your game coming

Your chinese memes gave Google Deepmind brain damage.

Its seem that particular magic is strong at certain location. For example, you cannot really drown if your near the Iron Islands even if you don't worship the Drowned God.

Anyway, I pretty much read ASOIAF everyday and study it a lot.

Sort of developing a world history based on ideas of ASOIAF, but it going to be heavy procedural generation base.

The amount of attention to detail is really big in ASOIAF. Everything is really thought out. Even more than Tolkien. Sadly he will probably die before writing the last book.

so, /agdg/. How does one get his game out there? What do I have to do and where do I have to shill so people get interested in my game?

digging the pipes in the bg, more steel girders and gears would do wonders

I think I can do that easily. Maybe. You mean kinda like a flickering florescent light? I have a basic animation on some street lights around the level that flicker on and off with some sparks and I think I can do the same.

I like (you)

>best guess
>12 words
>not one panda

>you cannot really drown if your near the Iron Islands
Never really thought about that.
I thought they just almost drowned eachother.
You looking to collaborate? i like the sound of your universe.

Web novel link?

>more steel girders and gears would do wonders
Absolutely. Don't want to turn it into some Castlevania Clock Tower shit (might be overdoing it and taking attention from the closer background layers and walls) but I know where you're going with the idea

I'd just quickly cycle the red colour to white - and then turn the colour off completely. youtube.com/watch?v=LogeKEKKavM

but wheres your game tho

left is ten times more charming, make your whole game like that

what's the catch?
besides it being shit

no community support or documentation

+ /agdg/ bullying

being sued by the guys making scam citizen

>forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6644630/#Comment_6644630
>Speaking entirely as an individual, CryEngine has unlocked previously undiscovered reserves of rage and hate in my body tissues. There are decisions in there that, if I knew who made them, I'd have to challenge them to a boxing match. I'd lose, horribly, but it would be a matter of honour.

Provide defaults for your players that are easily overridden

no worries, it'll be shaded like that. still in the solid colors stage

Remember to kiss your game good night and tell her she's both smart and beautiful so she grows up with positive body image and self worth.

>features outright not working
this, goddamn

fucking vive never worked with that shit engine

Don't just give up on your game.
Try to talk it out

trash for drag and droppers:
>Unity
>Godot
trash for people who will never finish game:
>Unreal
>Cryengine
good for people who will finish game:
>Love2D
good for people who actually want a job in the industry:
>Roll your own engine

just begome judaisd, Neil Druckman a guy without talent do it and now is vice president of Naugthy Dog.

Reminder that linear algebra is not hard and any little bit will help you
Reminder that reviewing is key
Reminder that the basis vectors for standard 3d space are (1,0) and (0,1) or 1 unit in the x direction, 1 unit in the y direction, or 1 unit horizontal 1 unit vertical.
Reminder that a 3x3 matrix can be seen as a transformation, where the basis vectors move to the positions given by the columns of that matrix
Reminder that there's nothing particularly difficult about eigenvalues and eigenvectors: youtube.com/watch?v=PFDu9oVAE-g

how do I make my game fun without relying on juice?

>he wants to get a job in the game industry
code monkey for life

no game:
>user

Reminder that it's a me Mario

If you ever wanted to play an RPG, would you play one that doesn't have potions or anything of those insta-heal items?

I'd like to have one

The game industry disagrees though

games are player actions and game reactions
juice is a visceral game reaction

Reminder that music theory is complicated, but what you need to know is finite and I know you can do it.
youtube.com/watch?v=E7IKBRqOz8Q

Which obscure bandcamp artist are you going to get to make your music user?

I'll make my game for 3ds homebrew so I'll be safe from steam reviews and game journalists.

shifty steve
he doesn't realize what he's worth so it will be easy pickings

and players

jake kaufman

More mechanical progress that I don't really have animations to show properly: a universal action queue. Here, the player uses Riposte, which adds 1 block and gives them the status effect Riposte. All of an enemies actions are decided in one frame, so here they go to attack the player and gain block themselves, but once they queue up attack this triggers the players Riposte, which does a counterattack before their block is added. It's not much, but it means that the internal game state is now all logical and animation times wont mess anything up. It also should mean that from now on all the infrastructure is in place and I don't need to touch it anymore.

it's a fucking mess and there are hardly any self-taught "musicians" that can actually make GOOD music. it's not just the music theory you have to figure out how to use the damn software and DAWs and whateverthefuck. a lot of the big DJs have backgrounds in programming.

inlovewithaghost.bandcamp.com/
;_;

>a lot of the big DJs have backgrounds in programming.
Yeah and that's the problem.
But people think of music as this thing where you have to spend decades studying in order to get anywhere.
99% of what anybody here will ever need is understanding circle of fifths (up to signatures with less than 5 sharps/flats), and rhythm (down to sixteenth division).
You can do a lot with that but a lot of people never try because when they think of music they think of bach or jazz or something.

>tfw messaged one of my favourite indie female artists and she was totally down with putting music into my game
>abandoned that project and never completed a game to put her music in

Enjoy being a hack
youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7jIhHBm2U

>his game engine isn't data driven with drag and drop cross referencing

lmfao @ your life

I will play your game.

>tumblr art and meme beeps
yikes

Thank you

Knight is falling :(

Heh oh jeez this is awkward, uh, I didn't really mean yours specifically I mean don't get me wrong like I bet there's people out there interested in what you're doing but uh, heh, yeah
Good luck though, really

the new Sonic looks really good

What he deserves for drowning that ghost you fuck

I can find something as arbitrary with whatever you post too

I give up

Fantasy Life had crafting where you needed to play minigames. The minigames were very simple, but it wasn't too annoying. The better and faster you did the minigames the higher quality the resulting item would be, and in some cases, like when making potions, you could get bonus potions for doing well. After leveling a skill up a bit you could do bulk crafting, where you'd only have to play the minigames once but could make multiple of a single item as long as you had the resources.
I think the bulk crafting really helped alleviate any annoyance that would have happened with the crafting.

Finally implemented all the Mugen constant triggers too, for some mysterious reason, most of these weren't added yet. Probably because they're mostly used internally.

I want to take this moment to bring to the world's attention that there is a variable called "jump.changeanim.threshold" that is named in the docs but never used in a character or properly explained anywhere.Probably some Bogdanoff backdoor. That would make sense.

no

holy shit, there are so many games this time. are we reentering the golden age of agdg?

>The better and faster you did the minigames the higher quality the resulting item would be
Yeah, that would be a pretty straightforward system. I'm thinking if crafting came in two ways: automatic ("solves" itself when left alone) and active (the said minigames). That way no one would need to play the minigames, but they would also give a small bonus if actually played.

55 is okay, I think it seems so much because last time's New Year's demo day was so small

don't you give up

Im thinking you need to play the minigame well and in a specific way to get a good item, with thoes cooresponding specific properties.
And after playing the game you make kind of a blue print for that specific item, and you can then autocraft that item one way or another.

But you cant duplicate a blue print.
So if you want to be a crafter of great items, then you need to also master the minigame, or buy a blueprint from a player that took the time to get good, and then make that specific good blueprint.

the more stats on the print the higher ur crafting skill needs to be.

can't argue with that

Hey /agdg/. Do you like RNG

Write your own RNG system so that it can be gamed by people who figure out how it works
that's how you get the TAS audience

no, especially not when it's broken/unfair

Some D-List celebrity actress just retweeted my game gif, do you think she wants to have sex?

TRANSLATOR'S NOTE:
"Your [family member]" in Chinese means "Fuck your [family member". Often used like "Your mom." In English.

This should probably be translated something like "You think this is funny? Fuck your sister."

Though perhaps the shitty translation is part of the charm, so, whatever.