/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

JUST edition

Previous Thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.06.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Attached: poopniggas.jpg (272x333, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13542
pedosphere.com/resources/bulkdensity/worktable_us.cfm
pedosphere.com/
reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/838mdq/my_demon_finally_became_a_citizien_download_for/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>create new world
>no elephant men
>am disappoint, frogo
>create another world
>no elephant men
>am disappoint, froggo
>look for grizzly bear men
>dwarven civ loaded with grizzly bear men
Good enough

Attached: Nut after nut after nut.jpg (425x425, 21K)

Has anybody tried out the new raiding mechanics added in the new version yet?

It seems cool and I want to make a military-centric fort

1.55 changes:
-Taffer's Pastel color set added to the mod. The original colors are in there as well, labeled as "colors 0". Remove the current colors file rename colors 0 to just colors to get the vanilla colors to return.
-Leech men added as a wetlands barbarian civ.
-Elves will always have dinosaurs to give them an edge. The original races are meant to be advanced and deadly compared to the barbarian tribes or element-men, and while the dwarves and humans are very similar in their use of steel and gunpowder, elves have gone their own way with fielding reptilian giants as weapons.
-Brain gnomes have a limited lifespan for some reason. Why could that be?
-Cave swallows tameable by mammal and bird cave civs.
-Greatly expanded leather crafting options to include most other clothing.

Attached: 1517171540283.gif (299x320, 1.98M)

>mfw forgot link

dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13542

Attached: 1512583697805.jpg (906x936, 849K)

Would be interesting to see how it works with modded races, like kobold fort.

Leech men sound cool, are they a playable civ?

Every civ is playable.

wow you are stronng

I can never seem to get volcanoes in my world gen, what gives? I want to try a recreation of blackrock mountain

Its not as difficult as it might seem. There's really only 6 "styles". Elementals are like nerfed dwarves that use bronze, dwarves play like dwarves and humans play like dwarves, elves grow wood and tame giant animals, cave barbarians use low tech and wood/bone/runebone weapons, goblins don't do anything but be evil (which should be easier with the new update) and kobolds live with a caveman tech level.

You get them maybe 50% of the time, on medium maps, but usually in very inhospitable areas, I got one recently where I could get 3 different biomes with a volcano. If you really want volcanoes and don't want to generate 28 different worlds you should probably check out advanced world generation.

Linux version crashes every5minutes

Attached: 1520442348211.jpg (750x538, 54K)

Do you have to be a certain race to make runebone? I tried to make it in Adventure mode but didn't know what I actually needed

Only barbarian and elf civs will make runbone, but in adventure mode all you need is one bone and an edged item to craft it I think. However there is like a 90% fail rate because runebone is meant to be rare and difficult to manufacture because its less an exact science and more carving a bunch of voodoo shit into bones asking the local spirits to make it stronger and hoping they are feeling charitable.

you can increase the number of volcanos in advanced worldgen

bump helmets

>get back into dorf with new update
>can't remember how to change the colours or graphics
>use the wiki guide
>still fuck it up

Attached: 1514737592224.jpg (326x326, 28K)

>spends all day modding df
>doesnt know how to change the graphics

wrong catposter

Attached: Blank+_28bb2a2ac58cdb2fba1d95bbb2e5371b.jpg (391x345, 39K)

I'm just going to blame my crashes on windows 10.

>not using a virtual machine emulating windows xp

Attached: shirt pidgeon.jpg (960x1280, 283K)

Does anyone else use DF to live out their exhibitionist fantasies? Running around as a topless woman for example. Or just wearing a thong and high boots.

Does this actually work? Because i'll fucking do it.

I swear I've seen someone else in the DF community obsess over this type of stuff.

if it is the operative system the shitty one, then get to use windows 7, if your PC is a toaster, you should upgrade the processor or limit yourself to watching DF streams

Attached: based birds.jpg (256x197, 9K)

EVERY TIME

1.56 changes:
-Fixed crafting reaction error.

Every time I finish my mod and get it published I settle down, generate a world so that I can finally play in the mod I made, and only when I'm halfway into an adventure does the game crash or fuck up somehow because there is an error that the errorlog didn't catch during my playtesting period for reasons I don't understand.

Hopefully all bugs have been eliminated for now though.

Attached: scream.jpg (1000x525, 77K)

I relate.

Attached: father pucci.jpg (887x1097, 77K)

DF has never crashed on me until this update

Give me the memory layout and no one gets hurt

Attached: b5baa5d2d9cf82b297d83b3bc16a6811.jpg (724x1024, 88K)

not using windows xp yourself?
>plebs

Attached: check urself b4 u shreckt urself.png (1024x768, 157K)

I'm going to try this game again, guys
Every time I've tried to follow the tutorial I ended up confusing myself

Tonight I will succeed.

I learned how to properly play Fort mode by just diving in without any tutorial and learning from mistakes.

Hope you learn something though.

>windows XP
>1024x768
My brother from a spic mother.

Just copy the old layout over to a new file with the updated checksum, it works fine.

>spic
spanish
I could install win 3.1 right now If I wanted user, I'm that rad

Does the lazy newb pack not work for windows 10? Ive installed it multiple times and I keep getting error message in DF and crash before I can even make a world, and LNP doesnt even boot up

Who the fuck wants that shit? God how much must you have been molested as a child to think of windows anything as a positive?

>lazy newb pack
>windows 10

Attached: astronomical-disgust.png (474x466, 287K)

you are a disgrace and you shame your ancestors. windows 3.1 was a fucking game changer kid. have some respect.

damn right

Attached: man of culture.jpg (680x383, 35K)

woah, now that you can send people to steal animals from the elves, you dont even have to trade with them for giant animals

look at this, some literal peasants sent to stealthily steal animals from them

Attached: giant animals.png (821x153, 7K)

and a partridge in a pear tree!

>giant eagle
Mounted combat with other Eagle Lords when?

> starting a war over a musical intrument, one pair of gauntlets, a cage, several animals
> and an almonds

AN ALMONDS.

Attached: SimpsonsLaughingGoldPlatedHomer.jpg (375x375, 56K)

I just bought a new laptop and its what was on it, I prefer 7

they didn't detect me anyway, so no war declared

Feels like metal gear solid V, going far and obtaining resources

Also, IRL a war was once declared for a pig, so dont complain

sucks, because I got a giant wolf and can't war-train it

>Also, IRL a war was once declared for a pig, so dont complain
Not complaining, just pointing out the rediculous nature of the thing we now have and be entertained by.

Hopefully if a dwarf does get killed on the site, their equipment is added to the local item pool and doesn't just go poof. i guess i'll have to find out.
> more upset at losing all the adamantine on a dwarf on a raid than the dwarf

yep, we actually have a lot of shit to science about now, we are having pretty new stuff recently

fresh mechanics that need to be understoof fully

Like, I led an atcack against a big-ass elf site, a dwarf died, and many were captured, but the ''they were captured'' message for all my dwarfs is listed in a purple colour, except this one guy that is listed on blue

Why is that? I don't understand

I'm getting close to 40 now, son, linux was just getting started back then, and 95 was when that shit OS started to briefly suck less, my ancestors were fucking around with DOS and whatnot.

bruvs
the leader, upon returning, gained a full level on both tactician and leader skills

That's fucking awesome, because he also knows how to read and write, so he'll be able if he survives, to write the ''art of war'' one day, right?

Possibly, wasn't Sun Tzu a drunk anyways?

>pedosphere.com/resources/bulkdensity/worktable_us.cfm
What did Toady mean by this?

File a bug report.

If I want to nick an artifact, does it have to be "last in Paddledchambers", or does sending a squad for an artifact "last held by the dwarf Urist McHoarder" work now? I can remember it was buggy in the last release

>>pedosphere.com/
yeah not clicking that

Well, the feels start

after checking all the prisioners from the elf civ, I realized two of them were married
They had two sons and one daughter, and the smallest son is in my fort
>he's 11
I'm going to train him hard once he reaches adulthood at 12 and send him to rescue his parents

A Veeky Forumstorian? Greetings brother.

easily one of the least cancered boards in the whole site
Legit good learning place

>try out raiding on a nearby elf farming village with only 20 people
>squad finds nothing both times
>send them back for a third go
>there is seemingly an army of hist figs there now and my commander kills three and a random civillian before ripping another elf's hand off and fleeing
>other dorf is imprisoned
>send commander back the next day
>no trace of the second dorf to be found, so I need to quickly set up a tavern or something to get rumors as to where I should keep looking
I fucking love this game

>sending out more men
>not just starting an adventurer and burning down all the Elf homes to find your lost dorf

Disgusting.

Wonder if anyone has tried that yet. Get one of their dorfs captured, make an adventurer, see if the fort leader has a quest for rescuing the captured dorf*, then find the dorf and bring them back.

* Assuming unintended behavior doesn't occur, like the fort leader not caring that one of their dorfs got captured. If they don't care, someone should probably file a bug report.

I have tried many times to into adv mode and I just can't do it. I've hit iron and got a tavern set up, so I'm going to squad up all of my first migrant wave and send them to each nearby elf settlement in turn, praying to Moldath that he isn't in the one with 1000 elves and an artifact dwarf bone skull in it

>dwarf bone skull
dwarf skull goblet

Attached: 1507086690882.png (447x506, 35K)

>Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma
When do I get this bug fix bros

Attached: 1519214719335.png (633x758, 34K)

That's actually pretty dark behavior, never realized that Toady directly programmed that type of behavior in. Can't wait for pic related.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-10 21-41-18.png (529x181, 17K)

I just gave the dwarf caravan +400,000 dwarfbux worth of bone crafts. When they packed up to leave, it took them at least 20 seconds to load it all into the wagons at ~50fps.

Wait, does prisoner rescue in adv mode actually work now?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-10 22-25-59.png (1807x271, 51K)

reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/838mdq/my_demon_finally_became_a_citizien_download_for/

I started playing two weeks ago, I just watched a couple of let's play videos, that were not supposed to be tutorials, that was enough to start. The rest you can get from the wiki. The starter pack helps a lot, but most of /dfg/ seems to be against it.

It works with my W10, but there is no installation so I'm not quite sure what you're taking about.

The starter pack isn't even updated for 44.06 yet.

That is correct

Linux bros, are you getting crashes every seasonal autosave as well?

I'd file a bug report but I'm lazy and I'm afraid to fuck it up because I've never done it before

Attached: 1511740736181.jpg (1266x1362, 113K)

I haven't noticed any problems using Wine in adv mode
but seriously CTRL + F "linux"

And if you tell them to use the starter pack with 44.05 then they'll get broken necro raids, broken megabeasts, distracted animals, diplomats that will eventually break, visitors that don't leave, etc. The latest patch introduced some crashes but a lot more stuff works now.

Haven't had a problem like that mentioned earlier of crashing during worldgen on linux myself but I just got it updated.

DIdn't crash during worldgen for me.
It crashed during seasonal autosave

Tell me about the local ruler.

IDENTIFY YOURSELF

Gaxu Snarledspikes rules this house from The Decorated Abode. She is my mother. I heard she has a real mean streak.

Do they have a firm grip on these lands?

Revolutions when?

Since .40
More technically, ever since you've been able to get your nobles into "accidents" and replace them

/dfg/, I have a stupid question. I'm on 44.05, and just getting back into the swing of DF after a bit of a hiatus. I'd never really fucked around with clothing before, but now I am, and with a fort of 130 dwarves, they are wearing through clothing super quickly. I'm not buying any from caravans or using any from invaders, simply my own made stuff, and while production has had a couple of headaches, it's really disposal that's tripping me up. These little drunken shits are just burning through clothes. I'm having to dump upwards of 20-30 pieces of clothing per month to keep everyone in untattered clothes. They don't seem to want to rip the tattered shit off themselves, so I need to force them to dump clothing really really frequently. Ultimately it all gets offered/sold to caravans, but it's constant micromanagement of the most annoying kind. Is there any way around this, or to cope with it? Is there a point where they'll discard worn clothing on their own when fresh clothing is available?

>The latest patch introduced some crashes but a lot more stuff works now.
Including scribes and checks on writing material availability which will actually let you make books in-fortress now.

Unless there's a bug no one knows about, according to the wiki:
>Dwarves will replace degraded clothing themselves, if appropriate clothing is available in the fortress.

Interesting. I wonder what level of wear forces them to do that, because it's not x. It could be X or XX, but even wearing x will cause a bad thought. I may do more experimenting and make absolutely sure I have enough replacements for all their shit.

Well, if this was .34 then maybe you'd worry about the bad thoughts from degraded clothes, but until stress is rebalanced and fixed in the upcoming updates, I don't think it should be so bad.

Honestly, it's not the bad thoughts so much as the clutter I'm worried about. If I don't stay on top of it, once I finally get back to it, I can easily have 40 dwarves tied up for a long time hauling just worn out clothes to the depot to sell them. Like, multiple months.

Outta my thread, gobbo scum.

Identify yourself!

It doesn't matter who we are. What matters is our plan.

>embark in the desert
>pick spot with an aquifer as to not run out of water
>two years of exploratory mining later
>still can't find the fucking aquifer
Should've embarked on a river instead of this shit.

Attached: 1416924835803.png (900x702, 376K)

It's satisfying when no civs are stranded on an island. Boats never.

Attached: copy.png (1290x1290, 113K)

>not just hauling ass through the caverns for a Chinese style water brigade

I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

BAOT