Veeky Forums Compendium of Resources

This is the first public release of what I call the Veeky Forums Compendium of Resources, a Google spreadsheets file on Veeky Forums-relevant resources.
Many of the resources have been gathered from threads on Veeky Forums, as well as from affiliated people and their databases such as the early Veeky Forums guide (RIP), the Veeky Forums wiki, scanlators from /a/, the Veeky Forums guide and more.

Link:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/

Anyone can participate by posting in these threads, using the comment function (you need to be logged into a Google account) or requesting edit permissions (for dedicated people).

Note that especially the sheets "Recommended Reading: Books", "Requests" and "Music" are still under construction, which is why the former has only historiography resources right now - but it isn't limited to that. The Philosophy section at the end, for example, will be expanded. I'm still trying to think of a better layout, though.

So, post away, if you have any recommendations in the following sections:

Recommended Readings (especially books)
Games
Manga & Comics
Film & TV
Podcasts
Music
Autodidacticism

...or other suggestions on how to improve the Veeky Forums Compendium of Resources.

Other urls found in this thread:

perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
cambridge.org/core/series/cambridge-ancient-history/010C506409EE858277F898C129759025)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_source
isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic453618.files/Central/editions/edition_types.html#critical_editions
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>games
>mangas
>podcasts
>no journals
>no encyclopedias
>no online bibliography/research tools
>no sources
Ugh now I know why the level of discussion here is so low...
For starters add: perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
Add the mandatory Cambridge and Oxford compendiums and Handbooks at least (like: cambridge.org/core/series/cambridge-ancient-history/010C506409EE858277F898C129759025) Those recommend reading lists are totally random.

Also you will never be able to finish this project without including thousands works which would render the project useless.

There's an amateur historian on Youtube who's pretty good.

>games
>mangas
>podcasts
They may not interest you, but they are very interesting to a Veeky Forums audience. In fact, there's a podcast recommendation and a games recommendation thread here right now, and there frequently are. We can cut down on those by simply listing what might interest people that come here.

>no journals
Journals go in "Other Readings". The name may be a bit misleading.

>no encyclopedias
Encyclopediae go in "Other Readings". There also are three already.

>no online bibliography/research tools
Those go into the Programs & Add-Ons sheets.

>no sources
I don't understand what you mean there.

Looking forward to a torrent rec reading lkst that includes every diametrically opposed political philosophy under the sun.

Dis gonna b gud

this

get to work lazy fucks

>I don't understand what you mean there.
SOURCES
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_source
isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic453618.files/Central/editions/edition_types.html#critical_editions
>Those go into the Programs & Add-Ons sheets.
Which is wrong. You need a tool to find what you want to read and then one to find the paper/book your are looking for (i.e. bibliographies). Your how to get literature section can't replace that. Freshmen commonly think it does but it's completely and utterly wrong.

As for the rest: Yes, I realize the Veeky Forums audience pissed away it's time with stuff like this while I try to not do that.

You know you can get your point across without being an asshole.

Shocking, I know.

>I am from reddit
I could but this endeavor is doomed to fail and being nice here would be ignorant. You need to limit the scope drastically and make your focus clear. Maybe just do something for Rome and the subject you are into the most.

Also I linked to CAH and perseus and you apparently ignored that.

>You need a tool to find what you want to read and then one to find the paper/book your are looking for (i.e. bibliographies). Your how to get literature section can't replace that.
It can, by simply adding those.

>I linked to CAH and perseus and you apparently ignored that.
I am not ignoring it. (He isn't the OP, as you can see by the unique IP.) You told me that the categories are fucked, so I'm thinking of better ones that can encompass what you deem to be lacking.

The actual goal I had in mind in with this thread was talking about how to structure the spreadsheets while talking about resources to add only to keep people interested. This first release isn't supposed to have the definite structure I will use - I'm open to changing anything and everything.

>You need to limit the scope drastically and make your focus clear.
>and the subject you are into the most.
This is supposed to be a collaborative effort. I might be only able to deliver quality in the subjects that interest me, but there are a lot of people with interests in subjects that I have no clue about, which is why I don't think that the scope needs to be reduced, as long as one cascades the information appropriately.
I do agree on making foci clear, though.

>this endeavor is doomed to fail

This board is nearing, if it isnt already, a failure.

Also, recommended reading/source threads are arguably the most successful part of Veeky Forums.

The mods have repeatedly ignored requests for a sticky(s) in that regard.

At least OP is trying to make things around here a little more tolerable.

Also, im not saying your points are bad or not productive.

Just asking for a little civility is all.

Here's some stuff as opposed to just shitting up the thread like a fag. Some books to start off with using stuff I've personally read or am reading:

>Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947 by Christopher Clark
Definitive overview of Prussian history.

>The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark
Examination of the situation in Europe in the years prior to World War I as well as the July Crisis focusing mainly on the diplomacy and political situations of the countries involved. Much focus on Serbia's role.

>The Pursuit of Glory: Europe, 1648-1815 by Tim Blanning
Overview of Europe between the end of the Thirty Years' War and end of the Napoleonic Wars.

>The Inheritance of Rome: Illuminating the Dark Ages, 400-1000 by Chris Wickham
Overview of the Early Middle Ages including Byzantium and the Islamic Middle East.

>The Making of Modern Japan by Marius B. Jansen
Overview of Japanese history and culture from unification under the Tokugawa to the present day.

>Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II by John Dower
Specifically focusing on the occupation years.

>The Glorious Cause: The American Revolution, 1763-1789 by Robert Middlekauff
Narrative history focusing on the Revolutionary era through the end of the Articles of Confederation period.

>Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815 by Gordon S. Wood
Focuses on the period from the ratification of the Constitution through the end of the War of 1812.

>Garfield by Allan Peskin
Biography of James A. Garfield, a rather interesting man whose life and career offers a great window into the politics of the post-Civil War era.

>Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization by Richard Miles
Pretty much the definitive overview of Carthage.

Perused your recommended list.

Fuck Keith Jenkins.

I tried to include SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome, I'm not sure if it went through

good list

as is often pointed out in these threads, reddit's askhistorians has a good recommended reading list which can provide inspiration, or whose wiki can be linked in our main sticky (inb4 reddit, I started on Veeky Forums and I only use reddit for askhistorians):

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/wiki/books

the other huge source is the pastebin trove filled with oxford annotated bibliographies on a eclectic range of topics (not all of them historical)
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

I love the pastebins and since the bibs are written by professional historians in their field of study they're unsurpassed for Veeky Forumsorians looking for general or more obscure topics within a larger field (say, poor relief under Henry VIII, or the Enlightenment in the Americas). I don't see a problem simply placing a link in any kind of sticky, wiki or database we create but the problems that appear to me are 1) not all the bibs are on strictly historical topics and 2) pastebin doesn't have a clean interface and since these bibliographies are directly pasted from oxford bibliographies they have repitive "spam" between each work (can't htink of a better word for it) that doesn't take away from the usefulness of the bib but is an eyesore. 3) each bibliography usually has sections dedicated to academic journals, internet or physical databases, encyclopedias and primary sources. If some anons are willing to collate all these research/search functions from every article relavent to history, it'd be a great resource.

Yes, it went through. I'll turn recommendations from comments into cells only every few days so that I can do it in batches and people can reply to the comments, though.

I'll add a few empty lines everywhere on that sheet, because one needs edit access to create rows.

bump

recommending India after Gandhi (India- Contemporary)

Ghost Wars and Charlie Wilson's War (Asia-General) It would be better if you created a South Asia/AfPak section

Add in a link to paradox games
Although not super good at teaching or researching they give you a scope of generally what was happening when simultaneously

For instance I never knew Qara Qyonlu or the Timurids exosted at all until I played eu4

>Fuck Keith Jenkins.
Why? Enough to take him out? Enough to put him on the Wall of Shame?

I initially had a generic entry for paradox games, but decided to just individually list the games in question. Paradox doesn't just release grand strategy, after all.

>not knowing about Timur "destroyer of the Muslim world" the Lame prior to playing vidya

Come on user.

Where would classical literature (Thucydides, Polybius, etc.) go?

another bump

Recommended Reading: Books -> Ancient & Classical (3500BC-476AD)