> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Attached: 1458909130123.png (490x490, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004
youtube.com/watch?v=ysB-SH19WRQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1505691973973.jpg (411x613, 38K)

>$900
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106004

Atleast you know now, if you want color work monitors, stick with Dell and Asus. And right now you have to pick between hertz or colors.

What's a good way to increment a secondary variable that's an array index without a bunch of count/length checks to avoid overflows?

did benbo flop? I don't see anyone talking about it anywhere

Is it worth to buy one of these displays you can draw on for learning art?

a video game about hamburgers

If you have the money, yes. Because that's where you'll end up if you stick with digital art. But I'd buy a cheaper tablet to see if you'll even stick with it first.

like a surface pro? Never had one myself but I can definitely see the value in it if you're dedicated to art. Tablets can't compare to being able to see what you're drawing

E or LMB to grab?

What do you mean? Like coming up with a story?

could have got a 55" 4k with decent color AND a decent 1080p monitor for less than 900

what's the worst gamedev advice you've heard? for me it's:

>make the game you want to play

by the time you're done deving that game you won't want to play it anymore, you will either be bored of it because you know of everything, or hate it. it's only said by people that have never finished games.

I disagree

>learn programming as you make the game
>buying assets is fine

You also are taking that way too literally. It's more of don't design the game for somebody else or a target demographic

Elaborate.

If you're just a hobbyist it doesn't matter. But if you intend to be successful it's a much better idea to make a game that you can finish in a reasonable amount of time and will actually sell to a specific market, rather than that dream JRPG you have in your head.

nah, just how to develop the gameplay aspects further. Initially I just wanted to recreate commandos in a different setting but I didn't have any firm idea of how to go about it and so I floundered and eventually dropped it altogether.

That's total trudeau dollars. It's 499 american.

>a game you want to play
>the ridiculously elaborate dream game
Those don't have to be the same thing, I very much enjoy playing the games I make.

That might be the nature of the games I happened to make and I can appreciate for people making linear story games that might not be the case, but that's not what I do.

I only know of Cintiqs, iPad Pro and the Surface Pro and they are all standalone computers afaik. Or are there some that are just displays/pen input?

>>learn programming as you make the game
I've been doing that one and it hasn't given me any issue. Never had any gamedev experience beyond basic stuff in C+SDL/Javascript.
"Worst" I've had to do is A* implementation, which was basically like following a weird cooking receipe.

However, doing the same with art is highly un-advisable.

what anime should I watch to get better at making video games

You're even against buying sounds? That is madlad territory for anything which doesn't only use generic bleepbloops.

>I've been doing that one and it hasn't given me any issue.
>"Worst" I've had to do is A* implementation
Then you aren't doing anything advanced or your code is incredibly tedious.

>You're even against buying sounds?
Commissioning stuff is good, that keeps the industry moving. But buying premade sound-packs or anything of the sort is awful.

something you've seen before, so you can learn by devving.

Could still be like commandos but have ninjas/assassins instead or something. Poison darts and melee, having targets to take down quietly, etc.

How do I do it optimize effectively in C#? I'd hate to get to a certain point and have to go back and rescript everything

Attached: 1520628025157.png (856x691, 816K)

New Game! is a mandatory watch for gamedevs.

I read that the Cintiq 13hd is just a display while the Cintiq companion whatevernumber is an all-in-one. It's surprisingly difficult to get information about this kind of stuff though I've realized.

Why? asset packs are the same as finding someone in the end, it's just a marketplace.. you might as well hate games that sell on steam. Which maybe you do, IDK.

I have an asset pack up on the UE4 marketplace, and I am as little as they get

Mad lad.

That's a very broad question.

Does story/writing matter when you're making your own amateur game?

>Why?
They're impersonal and have to be generic by-design, which is bad for games because audio is critically important.
>I have an asset pack up on the UE4 marketplace
If it's not something code-related, you're contributing to the problem.

The same way you optimize Javascript.

How much unique character can a run animation footstep sound possibly have

Help me out here /agdg/, do I go with this

Attached: 1.png (602x338, 66K)

Well it's not audio.

But I don't see what's wrong with allowing me to buy audio on a marketplace that has a theme I can investigate before hand.

I could go find a musician myself but that's a huge pain in the ass, I don't know if it will turn out good, and mostly, it's very expensive because people charge a lot.

depends on the game.
most of the time yes, but not nearly as much as some people make it out to be.
If you can't write well, just maintain a very broad/simple plot like nintendo games do.

Excluding sims, RTS, city builders and other ressource-intensive games I don't see what could be worse. For the most part I've only been applying high school math to gamedev. The rest is just making sure systems can properly interact with each others, which is just logic.

Of course, that's assuming you're using an engine.

Do you think Steam would greenlight a game that teaches people about the jewish globalist conspiracy and their homosexual agenda?

By reducing heap allocations.

definitely kickstart that first, great potential

or this?

Attached: 2.png (936x459, 100K)

If you want it to

>How much unique character can a run animation footstep sound possibly have
Texture you're stepping on
characters weight.
bare-foot/shoes?
type of shoe?
texture sub-type?
character speed?
character running flat-foot/ or heavy foot?
walls?
room type?
room size?
wall texture?
wall/room profile?
etc

You vastly underestimate how tedious audio can get.

Give me the broad answer

Attached: 1517939502527.png (505x94, 2K)

don't give up!

Attached: don't give up.png (598x1021, 402K)

>if you intend to be successful it's a much better idea to make a game that you can finish in a reasonable amount of time and will actually sell to a specific market
>if you intend to be successful make unoriginal stuff to scrape the barrel of what's left after AAA

Yeah exactly, which is why you buy a $15 asset with sounds for all those things instead of going for a run in a church and a swimming pool.

this is true tho

I was actually just thinking of a setting where the characters are children navigating some sort of nightmare scenario while hiding from monsters. That's not so much the issue as my weak ability to plan things out and my great ability to get easily distracted by Veeky Forums.

>Yeah exactly, which is why you buy a $15 asset with sounds for all those things
You know absolutely nothing about audio.
A finished sound effect still isn't finished. It has to then be tuned in-engine and account for:
reverb
distortion
strength
position
distance
etc

Which again helps A LOT if you or your sound guy has access to the source material. Which you often won't get if you buy pre-mades.

video game where you bully nerds until they kill themselves

The falling section is almost starting to take shape, a whole lot to do still.

Finished limiting the player's movement if moving too much to the left or to the right, added a temporary tower sprite to get a better feel for it.

Attached: falling 2.webm (1024x768, 946K)

>gonna make it

That's not funny. My brother killed himself after being bullied by all the girls in school for his micropenis.

Why is he falling tho? is is it a mechanic where he dodges things while falling?

why did he show it to them? I don't strut around flashing my small cock.

>could have become a girl, but didn't
should have taught him how to program user.

>an entire school full of girls bullying my penis

Stop, I can only get so hard

>/agdg/
>full of normal people

My girlfriend ordered me pizza since I cancelled date night to work on my game :)

But doing those things in engine are infinitely easier than doing the actual sound recording, which if you're trying to do with a typical indie team seems like overkill unless you have a dedicated full time sound dude, which is a rarity.

EA can and literally has bought a spitfire chassis in order to shoot a minigun through the spinning propellers to get sounds, but this is about finishing a game.

>spitfire
>minigun

more like because you're a fat sack of shit and she's trying to accelerate your heart disease so you'll die sooner

I am trying okay

A game where you get letters from your friend who is on an adventure saving the world
The rest of the game is you just doing stuff around the house and then helping to set up a party when he returns, and cleaning up after

You can still make better sounds on your own with a microphone and your own voice than just buying a generic premade.

>I cancelled date night to work on my game
they hate that shit user. you're accumulating things she can throw at you at some point. drag your feet and go. at least it won't hang over your head afterwards

nobody uses inns, user

youtube.com/watch?v=ysB-SH19WRQ
Close enough, they don't have the original gun.

Though maybe this was just a meme and had nothing to do with audio.

you play as the first goomba in super mario bros and have to make your way backwards through the game from koopa's castle to the first stage just to get crushed by a morbidly obese italian plumber

>reverb
Usually built in the engine.
>distortion
Doesn't happen in real life. If you want it as an effect you can just automate that in your DAW
Unless you mean distortion from the audio itself, which shouldn't be there unless you bought your audio from a retard.
>strength
just EQ/compress a little
>position
>distance
both handled by the engine again

It's also worth noticing no one gives a shit whether the sound is accurate or not. People care if the sound is satisfying, I mean Overgrowth has watermelons being ripped apart for when people get hit by a machete.

Valuable dev time can be spent much better in my opinion

It's part of developing a real game.

I'm being pedantic, the minigun wasn't invented until the 60's

normalfag IPS monitors are shit, the cheap ones don't even have 8 bit color, but high end professional monitors like NEC are legit

Figured i'd post this here, some work in progress fanart for the demoday 19 games

There's still four or five missing since they're super abstract

Attached: demoday19_wip.png (2268x590, 550K)

A part which can be handled to a standard I am happy with for a price which is cheap.

rpg where every time you die you have to start over from the beginning but you retain all your knowledge and experience

hey

that's really good

Attached: 1387567020952.png (253x253, 35K)

woah dope, you gave my mecha some hands before I even did
why does he look like he's about to slam dunk whoever's in that sun-ball thing

position += columns[column] + columnGap;

++column;

if (column >= columns.Count)
{
column = 0;

position = startOffset;
}

how to make less shit? I have to iterate over a group of objects and set their x / column position

Was supposed to ray-blast someone, but the idea got lost after moving it around in the composition; slam dunking isn't bad tho!

Do you guys have any knowledge on how to make a kickstarter? Is there a guide to make sure your game isn't ignore

are you ready to lose an hour of nodev tonight? because I know none of you are fucking devs

GOOD GRAPHICS

for

yeah don't sweat it, it's in the fanart so it's cool

what the actual fuck are you even doing? these variable names don't give much clue

I don't want to dev, I just want my game to be done.

im making a video game you fucking nodev piece of shit retard nigger nazi

love2D or godot if im a retard?
Also I realized my good orginal mechanic was actually shit and hard to implement in 2d

A game where you must formulate the most cutting insult as possible

Attached: images.duckduckgo.com2.jpg (463x372, 59K)

godot takes some getting used to can't say about love2d. I'd say gamemaker is probably easiest. especially for prototyping.

>duck dude chillin with friends, far right
thanks user

find a new hobby.
If you don't enjoy learning and getting better with background work, 1MA/programming probably isn't for you.

Does anyone ever wake up in the morning and have all these epiphanies/realizations of things in your game code that doesn't work and/or needs to change, only to realize half an hour later that it was all just a bunch of nonsense that your brain came up with in a state of delirium while still half asleep?

Attached: 1488893063241.png (972x641, 672K)