What has/is going on with Antarctica?

what has/is going on with Antarctica?

i have so many fucking questions about that place i don't know where to start.

Why is it so ignored?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_claims_in_Antarctica
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica#Geography
youtube.com/watch?v=xH8jhjmPAKs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_people#Relations_with_Russians
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_born_at_Esperanza_Base
youtube.com/watch?v=lXWQA_Xedj8
damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11851464/Scientists-to-reanimate-30000-year-old-giant-virus-found-in-Siberia.html
youtube.com/watch?v=qz2SeEzxMuE
youtube.com/watch?v=IJcLGTKNFRE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

has gone on*

what a great way to start this already shit thread

The official story is penguins and occasionally people researching penguins. Jury's still out on whether or not ayys/reptilians/jews have a secret base there.

It is the current home and base of operations for the:
>new
>holy
>roman
>empire

penguins seem more reasonable than all that stupid stuff LOL

but where

There's a couple thousand research staff there and there have been for a while. Many bases and jazz. Lots of cold and people studying rocks and how snow acts after spending thousands of years at -50 degrees celsius. Not much, but not many researchers want to go there in the first place and research maintenance can be very expensive, so governments only invest into arctic bases for serious research or prestige.

>why is the most inhospitable region on planet earth so ignored

hmmm.... I wonder

Alright I am taking over this thread. We're now wondering about that HUGE FUCKING AREA above China that's now a part of Russia. Someone red pill us on their history. Probably just a bunch of nomads but enlighten us. Seriously, this place is fucking enormous and green for at least a half of the year.

It's called Mongolia where Steppe niggers lived and above that is Siberia where indigenous tribal people lived in one of the harshest regions on earth by following herds of reindeer

Any info on the coastal people specifically?

>Why is it so ignored?
c o l d

Yeah. They're usually really chilly.

Steppeniggers, and a handful of eskimoniggers

It is the location for the entrance to a secret Nazi base hidden in the Hollow Earth.

You know that long tree you sometimes see on a hill. That's like Antarctica, except no one's banging under it cause it's too cold

>Why is it so ignored?

Russia, USA and China all have territorial claims and disputes over it.
Besides, its a group of islands, not one solid mass, it just looks that way because of the ice. Not much land, or resources, there.

Maybe the penguins have a secret base?

That used to be Siberia or something, the russians conquered it.
Commies settled white people during the forced migrations and reorganizations, so its not fully asiatic.

Also as ice melts and the north naval trade route opens, it will become more important, and Russia will further develop it.

>Russia, USA and China all have territorial claims and disputes over it.
>Russia
nope
>USA
nope
>China
nope

Russia and the US have reserved their rights to make claims though.

>Russia and the US have reserved their rights to make claims though.
This is the same as making a claim.
And China literally has bases there, how is that not a claim?

>Besides, its a group of islands, not one solid mass

>This is the same as making a claim.
No it is not.
Only seven countries have claims to antartica.

>And China literally has bases there, how is that not a claim?

Because it's a base not a fucking claim.
Finland has a base on antartica.
Poland has one.
Those are not claims, they are research stations you daft fuck.

The united states literally have bases in a fuck ton of countries over the world, but that doesn't mean they have made claims to those countries.

Search up the Antarctic Treaty

>Russia, USA and China all have territorial claims and disputes over it.

None of those countries has any territorial claim in Antarctica : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_claims_in_Antarctica

>Besides, its a group of islands, not one solid mass, it just looks that way because of the ice. Not much land, or resources, there.

That's not true : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica#Geography

Most of it the actual rock is 500+ meters under sea level. It would be an archipelago without the ice.

It's Siberia.
Vladivostok is a big russian city on the shore of the pacific there.
Russia and Japan duked it out over the area because Japan wanted to be ultra holy and awesome rulers of Asia so they were chewing off bits of Korea and China at the time and Russia wanted to expand southward to have access to sea that doesn't freeze every fucking winter.
Japan won.
Nicholas II cried every night thinking how a bunch of non Europeans sunk his ships.
That's all I know.

this

>being this retarded

The Nazis escaped and built bases there.

youtube.com/watch?v=xH8jhjmPAKs

>hurfdurf what is the ice sheet depression

rightful Chilean claim

>Poland of all countries has Antartic bases
neat

/r/ing the greentext about how much of a shitheap the russian navy was during the Russo-Japanese war

Isn't the Russian government paying people to move the coastal region of that area?

Or was that just a meme

-Antarctica is earth's final frontier. IIRC explorers had a vague idea that there was some continent at the bottom of the earth to serve as a "counterbalance" to the rest of the earth's land, but Antarctica was not confirmed to exist until the nineteenth century, and it was not meaningfully explored until the twentieth.

-In the intervening time, the world powers and local/regional powers have made claims on parts of Antarctica, 'literal' pizza-slices of the continent, radiating from the pole, some of which overlap and are matters of dispute. Basically, clockwise (roughly) from the peninsula which extends toward South America, you've got:

Chile: Chilean Antarctica
Argentina: Argentine Antarctica
Britain: British Antarctic Territory (all three of these claims overlap significantly)
Norway: Queen Maud Land
Australia: Australian Antarctic Territory (actually consists of two big chunks, which sandwich the tiny sliver of...
France: Adelie Land
New Zealand: Ross Dependency (includes much of the Ross Ice Shelf. This territory includes the American Mcmurdo station, by far one of the most populated bases on the continent).

Then, facing the cold dead Very South Pacific, one of two pieces of land on the Earth that no one has even bothered to make so much as a /theoretical/ claim about, because it is so useless and hostile, so far as we know: The No-Man's Land known as "Marie Byrd Land".

During the cold war, the world powers had enough sense to see Antarctica as a sort of neutral natural space, and wouldn't it be nice (in theory) if there were just one place in the world that we didn't fight over. Thus the Antarctic Treaty was signed by all of the above powers, plus many other nations. The basics of the treaty are that all existing claims on the continent (see above) are frozen (pun not intended but there it is), no one gets to make any new claims, and the continent is never to be used for military purposes, and only for peaceful scientific research.

cont.

You don't fuck with chukchis.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukchi_people#Relations_with_Russians

Polynesians might have found it first, they apparently found this massive ice sheet things, but hey who knows.

lmao what a retard

Dibs on Marie Byrd Land

The above is a lovely sentiment, but we know how humans are. If oil or something else of value is ever found there, the whole game changes. IIRC under the Treaty, Russia and the USA have extra-special language which allows them to make a claim if they wish, but apparently this hasn't happened yet. In addition to these, China has a similar science/prestige interest in the continent, since they've got y'know like 1.5 bn people to spare.

About a few dozen different countries maintain some sort of science/expedition presence on the continent. The population at any given moment is a few thousand, swelling in the summer (opposite the northern hemisphere's summer), and maintaining a much lower population during the winter (during the same time as the northern hemisphere's summer).

In addition to the above claims, the nazis even had a flirtation with Antarctic exploration, briefly declaring the territory of "New Swabia" during the war. This was a short-lived meme, however.

The classic stories are those of Admundsen, Scott, and Shackleton. Shackleton's story is one of the more god-damned amazing "adventure story" historical accounts of which I am aware. It's best if you just look it up for yourself, maybe watch a doco on yt or somesuch.

Basically, following the middle part of the twentieth century, Antarctica had been mapped and most of the big "firsts" had been accomplished, and the region had been more-or-less settled politically, per the above, apart from the three-way-spat I've indicated. What remained was basic science, which continues today.

Today there are about seventy research stations throughout the continent. The base at the south pole (at the confluence of all of the above claims!) is named Admundsen-Scott, for the explorers who first reached the place. As a kid I once listened excitedly as a young woman visited our physics class and described the neutrino detection experiment then taking place at the site, which she had participated in.

Apart from the aforementioned Mcmurdo, the highest concentration of human activity is on and around the peninsula which extends toward South America, also the site of an extensive archipelago which for all practical intents and purpose are part of Antarctica as well.

Chile and Argentina in particular are very keen on maintaining a permanent human presence in this region, in order to buttress their legitimacy there. It goes so far that each country has seen fit to install a permanent /residential, civilian/ population at each of the two country's "main" bases in the regions, which are also de facto villages. They have post offices, a general store, a clinic, things of that nature.

People have been born on Antarctica.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_born_at_Esperanza_Base

A G A R T H A

G

A

R

T

H

A

Relics of the Finno-Korean Hyper War

>travel to the far east in search of fortune so you don't have to be a piece of shit your entire life
>your travels are arduous, but you learn a lot and meet all sorts of interesting people
>finally arrive and decide to go on an expedition into terra incognita to find more natives who might want to trade pelts for manufactured goods
>random chukchi emerges from the blinding snow looking exactly like pic related
>he beheads you
>tfw

Penguins are alien jews.
How can you be so blind?

bumping unashamedly in search of nice (Yous) about my informative posts about Antarctica in this thread thus far.

And if you want to talk desolate fucking places, try the periantarctics, to abuse a word slightly. the islands many miles out from the continent but still in the deep southern ocean. Bouvetoya, Peter I, Heard and Mcdonald, SCOTT.

Have any of you ever heard of Scott Island before?

A few of these far southern places have been intermittently populated by sealers and whalers who plied their trade, living in squalid conditions. Part of the fascination of the history of the period is that it follows well-defined odd spurts of trends, with certain substantive evidence. I've realized that the nineteenth century is thus my favorite historical period overall, because it's just hard enough yet rewarding enough to discover information and verify plausible stories.

In connection with the history of remote places, a tragedy surrounds Clipperton Island. People haven't been back sense, except to do ham radio expeditions and generally keep tabs.

thanks for the interesting info, user

"By 1917 all but one of the male inhabitants had died. Many had perished from scurvy, while others (including Captain Arnaud) died during an attempt to sail after a passing ship to fetch help. Lighthouse keeper Victoriano Álvarez was the last man on the island, together with 15 women and children.[18] Álvarez proclaimed himself "king" and began an orgy of rape and murder, before being killed by Tirza Rendon, who was the recipient of his unwanted attention.[17] Almost immediately after Álvarez's death four women and seven children, the last survivors, were picked up by the US Navy gunship Yorktown on 18 July 1917.[17] No more attempts were made to colonize it, though it was briefly occupied during the 1930s and 1940s."

jesus

youtube.com/watch?v=lXWQA_Xedj8

A very substantive write-up of the nasty history of Clipperton, expanding greatly on this, is available here:

damninteresting.com/the-tyrant-clipperton-island/

Of course one can't vouch for every last detail, but despite the website's name, the article goes well beyond "cute news article buzzfeed/business insider xD" territory into a serious history, so that one is forced to take the item seriously, happily.

The most interesting bits are how the Mexicans, being mexicans, just kinda sorta forgot that there were people out there, while the island was being arbitrated. Further, one of the elder women who came back was (in the article's telling) covered-for by her white-knight male rescuers. Thus, instead of facing a murder rap somewhere (IIRC) she was allowed to achieve to old age.

I think we all know what happened in Antarctica....

Yeah just read that

Jesus. Talk about a liminal experience. Fucking singular.

Clipperton, it's begging for a film adaptation tbqh.

In my understanding there is a long-standing culture at American bases of screening the movie down there for the Virgins. In the cold, at night, no escape...

I suddenly wonder whether the woman scientist I mentioned above had such a screening. Her personal significance for me is that now that I think about it, she is the only person I've ever met and have personall interacted with who I know has been to Antarctica.

My personal interest in Antarctica is also based in this great fictional story (pic related). When you read the short story you appreciate how closely-yet-creatively Carpenter adapted the original.

>hurf durf ur retard :D

Not an argument. Most of the land there is under sea level. It would be a group of islands, not a solid continent, if you removed the ice.

Or do we consider ice a landmass now?

You could go there, as a janitor, or something, if you wanted.

They found a huge-ass virus there

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/11851464/Scientists-to-reanimate-30000-year-old-giant-virus-found-in-Siberia.html

Teke li li.

>Why is it so ignored?

youtube.com/watch?v=qz2SeEzxMuE

>what has/is going on with Antarctica?
You wake up in morning, is penguin.
You step outside, is penguin.
You look left, is penguin.
You look right, penguin.
Penguins.

You look through windows, penguins.
You look in toilet, penguins.
You try to sleep, penguins.
You wake up to get a drink, penguins.
Always and forever. Penguins.

You spotted a dead carcass which is not normal you wonder what it is
Upon closer inspection it was actually a dead penguin

This song explains it.

youtube.com/watch?v=IJcLGTKNFRE

Have enough of this shit. Go sit down and eat a chocolate biscuit....

Will Penguins come and eat my biscuit?
Because they will... in Antarctica.

Clearly Lemuria

or you could eat them ((((from Aldi)))))

start by reading this book and then get back to /us/, broheim, it has everything you need to know

Yeah, good job man, thanks.