/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.07.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Attached: dwarf fortress.png (2418x1284, 3.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zzzzz111zzzzz/dfmodding
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Making a script that turns selected creatures into deity. There are 3 types of deities in the game: normal, rotting and skeletal. This affects only legends description. Also deities have no any additional powers or something like that. You will be able to add spheres to them. Theoreticall it will make it possible to build a temple for them.

Donwload other scripts here:
github.com/zzzzz111zzzzz/dfmodding

Jesus fuck what kind of super computer cluster would you need so that map doesn't run like a 1 FPS slideshow?

Attached: 1480905176007.jpg (911x736, 98K)

Why is the squared ASCII tile set the default by now?

It's the same ASCII, with the added benefit that width and height are the same size (ie squares don't look like rectangles)

Attached: 1459710771580.gif (200x136, 614K)

Make an airlock with bridges.

Like the other anons said basically. You only really need like 15-20 dwarves to run a fort so draft everyone else into the military part-time. I usually have as many Marks squads as melee squads. Make sure you only have speardwarves in your spear squad and so on.
Put everyone on rotating schedules so you always have guys training but still plenty of haulers. If you need faster hauling you can always go to the [s]quad screen and set them inactive for a bit.

By 200 dwarves I usually have 10 squads at least, training 2-3 times a year. Best part is armor doesn't degrade like clothes do and it means most of my fort is wearing protection so Urist McPlantGatherer's steel helmet saves him when he gets snuck up on by something.

It's 2D DF, probably version 23a. Versions before 0.40 ran pretty smoothly because World Activation kills the fuck out of FPS.

*not the default by now, sorry

Because Toady's squared ASCII tile set looks unnaturally compressed.

Does the civilian alert assign all non-drafted dwarves to the burrow or only dwarves that aren't in the military?

Yea I agree. On a side-note what's a good square tileset? I really like CLA but the shitty icons for stairs throw me off, otherwise I like it's colours and what it does with animals.

He probably still uses a CRT monitor

I once made THE BIGGEST POSSIBLE EMBARK on THE ISLAND SURROUNDED BY OCEAN and it had 35 fps for entire year, then my fortress died due ghost problem. i2500k. Legends, number of z levels and world size affect FPS more than the rest.

So I made a world, went into legends, exported the XML file and read it successfuly with Legends Browser.

When stuff happens in DF mode, how can I export a new XML with the updated info? Or is that impossible once a DF game has been started?

Attached: 1506249810224.jpg (499x831, 57K)

>
Oh also, if you want to min-max it give 2 dwarves different combat skills & as much Teacher as you can on embark. Have them train as soon as you can. Once you have enough dwarves to make a couple of squads make them the squad leaders. It'll speed up training a lot.

>ghost problem
e-explain. newfag here

There's a DFhack command to export, or you can always back up your save, abandon your fort, etc that way.

Some ghosts can kill.

>abandon your fort
Or just retire it, but when you reclaim it after you're done, you might have to redo some stuff like room designations since it's still a bit buggy

yea, just easier to back up your save when you dont have dfhack.

Big
Dorf
Benis

As dorfs live in darkness they need really big penises so they never miss.

40 humans invaded. 20 goblins defended.

40 dead humans. One dead goblin.

The humans will pay

Attached: like a scourge through butter.png (477x749, 34K)

If you kill your enemies, they win

>could someone post a screenshot of vomit

Attached: 1462193523842.gif (960x540, 1.36M)

Sent a raid, killed five of them and stole a table... but it can't replace Ber, nothing can

Oh. I thought it was that old ass bug that FPS killed the game when a ghost is present. That one was brutal.

>It doesn't mean that. Everyone who uses it doesn't have the same problem. It's just a thing that happens sometimes. It's happened to me twice in 8 or 9 years of playing, and neither time was with mayday. A tileset literally can't cause that issue anyway, vomit is a hardcoded material.

I know tilesets are not the same as color schemes, but usually tilesets have their own corresponding color scheme. I use the Mayday tileset and the color scheme that comes with it. I haven't messed with it, and I still get blue vomit. How do you explain that?

OK, so I figured already, based on the wiki and your reply, that these tags don't do much for tweaking populations in my case. How do I do that then? I'd like to have hostile civs vastly outnumber friendly ones, without going far enough to drive them to extinction.

I like Tyrving's 16x16 and the second unknown's 12x12 with the solarized color scheme.

Dunno why, I wanted to try a graphic set, I'll grab CLA, I guess.

Vomit doesn't have its own tile assigned to it, it just uses whatever tile it's on, except green. So natural ground tiles with vomit are indistinguishible from grassy tiles that are dark green. Unless you get lucky and your vomit goes blue.

That sucks. Used to be that vomit had a spilled water/blood/sand tile and together with the green color, it contrasted nicely.

From what I've read there probably isn't a way of modding it, as it's hardcoded? Please tell me that's wrong.

>Vomit doesn't have its own tile assigned to it, it just uses whatever tile it's on, except green. So natural ground tiles with vomit are indistinguishible from grassy tiles that are dark green. Unless you get lucky and your vomit goes blue.

That sucks. Used to be that vomit had a spilled water/blood/sand tile and together with the green color, it contrasted nicely.

From what I've read there probably isn't a way of modding it, as it's hardcoded? Please tell me that's wrong.

Because reading walls of text with square ascii is an eyesore.

Attached: dwarf brain meme.png (500x704, 338K)

I have explained it. Twice already. It's a bug. It has nothing to do with your tileset. The color scheme you use doesn't make a difference. Vomit is hardcoded to be green. Sometimes it uses dark blue instead. That is all. There is no further explanation. It's not a mayday problem. It's not a color scheme problem (although changing color schemes is a thing that can provoke it). Understand, if it was an issue with your color scheme, then everything green would be blue instead.
You can't mod it, and it hasn't used that tile for like 8 years. Stop stressing out over virtual vomit.

Attached: square.jpg (1000x512, 74K)

I like to use Myne, which CLA was based on, pic related. I'll post the tileset in a bit.

Attached: Myne.png (1583x821, 144K)

And here you go!

Attached: Myne.png (288x288, 10K)

I'm about to start a new fortress in a hopefully comfy location. First seven replies to this post decide the skills of my dwarves, one dwarf per reply.

Attached: PRR PRR PRR.jpg (500x657, 94K)

Cheesemaker
Sorry.
Try to make it a challenge and base your exports and general industry on dairy products.

Butchering x1
Tanning x1
Cooking x5

Tactician as high as you can afford

Adequate Miner
Adequate Mason
Adequate Engraver
Adequate Building Designer
Adequate Stonecrafter

You better name one of them Stephen Hawking.

Comedian maxed out.

That's gonna be one hell of a tavern fort.
Dancer.

Proficient Observer
Proficient Biter

First dwarf is a cheesemaker and has no other skills. That's fine.

Second dwarf is a butcher, tanner and cook. A nice synergistic combo.

Can't even find it on the skill list, so I'll have to ignore that one. I'm on 44.06, and oh, 44.07 is out but I don't think that's the problem.

This fellow might be the most useful member of the starting seven.

A dwarven clown makes four.

Clearly this is an assortment of rejects, tired of being unemployed in their home mountainhalls. Dancer makes five.

Now there's a great addition to the team. Six dwarves, one left.

>Can't even find it on the skill list, so I'll have to ignore that one. I'm on 44.06, and oh, 44.07 is out but I don't think that's the problem.
you jokin?
>Allowed military tactics as starting skill choice on embark

4 Armor
4 Dodger
2 Teacher

>playing 44.06
Enjoy your crash, nerd.

Fug, I'm really retarded, I really am.

Whatever, I've got the setup screen open already, I'll make a fort with this guy as the seventh, save and update. It'll be fine, probably.

Make him a dedicated hauler, nothing else.

>Proficient Observer
>Proficient Biter
Somebody has to judge the quality of the Cheesemaker's goods.

I want a longcat poster

I would be surprised if you couldn't buy them already.

How can I imagine these tripple corner doors in real life?

...I never actually thought about that. You can tell by how I have two other sets of doors blocking off the central staircase for no apparent reason.

Imagine an Intersection of 3 rooms with a 4 sided revolving door in the corner.

Now buy 7 cats so each dwarf will have a friend

Alright, here we go. Clown got made expedition leader, no surprise there. The site is pretty vertical, my dwarves started on the beach at Z level 99, while the highest point of the nearby volcano is 140.

Just a tad too late for that, I'm afraid. I bought chickens and alpacas instead.

Attached: brave dwarves.png (697x99, 4K)

>cliff side Inn on the beach at the foot of a volcano
>specializes in cheese and their tavern entertainment is top notch

Attached: Ilikethis.jpg (584x522, 136K)

I still like this one

Attached: taffer.png (320x320, 11K)

Is that DFhack bug still around where the whole fort basically explodes after accessing legends in dwarf mode?

What's the comfiest color scheme?

Your own.

Yea but i hate the stair icon. I always get them confused for other stuff in CLA/Myne.

What mods do you use?
I’m currently using the endless dark, what lurks below, dwarfest dungeon and the curses and mummies from fear of the dark, at the same time.

Attached: 372EAB67-4AB6-4923-8668-EEC9E1E8CBDD.jpg (666x666, 115K)

Im not a kea

There is literally nothing wrong with being a kea.

Goddamn, CLA with Multilevel TBWT looks so pretty. I love the fade-out effect. I don't really have a problem with the stair icons as other anons mentioned above, what do you confuse them with?

Attached: 2018-03-14-082557_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 239K)

get fucked friend
2slow4me

That's Tyrfing's with the solarized color scheme. I just make much darker.

Attached: dwarf.png (1296x438, 78K)

for reference, this is the bottom floor of that same screenshot

Attached: 2018-03-14-082743_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 76K)

*the black much darker, urgh
Solarized's "black" is a dark blue by default.

>floor tiles are just fully coloured squares
looks kinda shit to be honest famalam

Pretty much all of the mods by the author of what lurks below together+caverns of peace and friendship. Pretty fun on large worlds, despite the long load times.

ZM5's Warcraft only mod
I'd combine it with DFhack and other utilities from the LNP if it was up to date.

How do you guys feel about GemSet?

Love the theory, it's cute if a bit cartoony, bummer that the twbt implementation was not possible to achieve, wound up loving the text set enough to use it until moving to other pure ascii rectangular sets.

Attached: VectorCurses+1.png (384x576, 42K)

>twbt implementation was not possible to achieve
Newbie here. I'm using it with TWBT enabled in PyLNP. Does that mean it does nothing? Should I be using 2D or STANDARD mode instead of TWBT with it then?

You should be playing vanilla DF with the default ascii tileset

Attached: 1500628290764.jpg (334x311, 20K)

but this looks prettier user

I mean it was intended to be a completely done override set so every tile would be dedicated/unique but there were issues like wall tiles sliding when the screen moved and various others.

200% wrong

Attached: tenor-2.gif (498x451, 3M)

Should I be accepting Monster Slayers into my fortress for residence if I'm going to wall off the caverns for a while until I'm more ready for them?

If they don't fight Monsters they just consume food and board for free, right?

Maybe I should just make a burrow and make a door towards caverns? Or will that end badly?

>forgotten beast spawns in a spot blocked by trees
Nice going, Méfaÿo.

Attached: 2018-03-14 17_44_18.png (177x149, 1K)

Tbh he's right, if you're new its better to get used to the default vanilla game and not put on any training wheels or mods. That way when the game updates you don't have to wait for tilesets or utilities to update before playing, plus you get used to utilizing the look command a lot more extensively.
I recommend changing colours regardless though (especially the blues since they can be hard to see), as well as checking out mods eventually - some good ones have been mentioned in the thread - starting out with them is definitely not recommended though.

I'm on Linux and I tried the two recent versions, but they kept crashing pretty often, enough to make it unplayable for me. So I just went with the stable release from January (44.05) which just happens to have LNP. I tried playing with ASCII and square ASCII mostly and clocked in a few hours. I got used to it, but when I decided to try some tilesets like GemSet, I just like it a lot more

So I think if Toady releases a new version that doesn't suffer from so many crashes on Linux, then I'll go play that one with everything vanilla with no problem. Haven't even used Dwarf Therapist til now, been doing everything vanilla-style, manually. But for now I figured I might as well play it the way I enjoy it more with this nice tileset

Attached: 2018-03-14-095712_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 132K)

>nice
>tileset

Attached: 1403357489465.jpg (612x445, 95K)

>implying the default tileset isn't nice

I don't bother with therapist myself since its not really required to micro jobs in the game.
I still stick to ascii, but gemset is probably one of the nicer-looking tilesets - I'd probably use rally ho but it doesn't have support for the mods I use, and I dislike seeing letter symbols
representing creatures next to proper sprites.

Tilesets are great. ASCII is pure eye cancer.

2/10 b8

Attached: OPEN THE GATE A LITTLE.png (682x645, 616K)

>ASCII is pure eye cancer.

>ASCII is pure eye cancer
Atleast its not M*ph

Attached: sgud.png (1360x768, 467K)

what the fuck

Attached: 8UqIvKa.png (972x631, 746K)

I'm still amazed that fat cuck thought releasing this abortion was a good idea.

Meph is great, learn to configure your colors and choose decent fucking fonts.

I wonder who could be behind this post?

Someone who isn't too retarded to configure basic settings?

Shifting numbers in a .txt file doesn't make you smart, Meph.

And knowing how to shift them, but not, then complaining about it makes you a fucktard.

What's your point?

That you're foaming at the mouth because someone insulted your ugly tileset on the Internet. Go get robbed by another nigger.