No but really, without God, how can there be such a thing as beauty?

No but really, without God, how can there be such a thing as beauty?

If beauty is simply a subjective interpretation our brain makes through a chemical reaction, then it's worthless.

Surely, if you believe in beauty you must believe in God, or else be a nihilist who cannot enjoy anything because it isn't real; it's merely a strange connection your brain has made, and so at best intriguing but never moving.

Did I just find a route to God? I've always ultimately considered myself nihilist as the logical extension of atheism, but I cannot help but regard beauty as objective and innate.

You are coming close to Immanuel Kant's conclusions.

He hypothesized that contemplation of the beauty of nature is the harmonious freeplay between the intuition and understanding which results in a specific joy. This joy is most similar to the joy one experiences from fulfilling a purpose.

Eventually one day maybe we will know the purpose of all things, and the rationalization behind a belief in such teleology, and fully comprehend the beauty in nature.

Just because something is devoid of inherent meaning doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed.

Memes

>If beauty is simply a subjective interpretation our brain makes through a chemical reaction, then it's worthless.
Why?

Whoa get this, believe in God if you feel like it but nobody gives a shit about your sophist rehash of thousand-year-old philosophy

Since you're retarded let me explain better OP.
>if everything is material then why can I feel stuff?
Not sure why "beauty" is your last stand instead of literally any emotion.

Here's a good answer: we don't know.

Here's a worse answer: the myths of my ancestors must be true! (Not the myths of other people's ancestors or the 99% of my ancestors' myths that have been rendered useless or absurd by science.)

>Christianity is a myth.
mfw

>I enjoy this thing
>but God didn't make it because God doesn't exist
>therefore it's worthless
Nice argument dipshit

What is "God"?
Is it "whatever force creates our universe"? Okay sure.

Is it "the being described in the desert Jew book"? No.

Do you really think Christianity is somehow unlike all other religions?

Oh, of course you do. It's your parents religion. Go get em champ.

To believe the enjoyment of something is simply a coincidence of how the dice have fallen is to make it worthless. It's purely accidental and so there's nothing wondrous in it's ability to exist. You can't give merit to something that is purely coincidental in a world of coincidence. Everything is equally mundane.

What makes a piece of art or an object in nature beautiful? it's just visual patterns like everything else we see. How can music be considered beautiful in comparison to any other noise? Our ability to recognise and express "beauty" and separate it from everything else must be intended or else non-existent.

>must be intended or else non-existent.
Yeah get this, it is intended, by HUMANS. Fucking dipshit

>If beauty is simply a subjective interpretation our brain makes through a chemical reaction, then it's worthless.

And why is that?

Also, to answer your question: beauty is a tool our brain uses for survival. There's a reason why we love to look at statues of broad shouldered strong men and broad hipped women with big titties. They remind us what is preferable for our survival. Hell, even the ugly as fuck art can be useful, since it tells us what to definitely not look for

>They remind us what is preferable for our survival.
That's retarded. Why do people think the sunset is beautiful then?

Truth is undefinable, therefore truth is worthless - OP's logic.

From Christians, all logic must flow from God or not at all.

Probably because being able to have time and appreciate such a natural phenomenon is usually associated with stable living conditions

You lost me. Why should subjective enjoyment be worthless to the subject ?
Why should accidents be undeserving of arousing our emotions ?

I have no problem enjoying beauty without praising god for it.
I also feel good when I win a game of dice and I don't thank the dice or anything else.

>Probably
Ok cool argument. A sunset takes literally a single moment to look at and is gone after five minutes.

Beauty is endorphins (not to mention actual codeine/morphine which mammals biosynthesize picture related) in your brain telling you that you're receiving pleasure from whatever stimulus you're witnessing.

They may be one and the same.

Noah's flood was a sign for the world.

MUUHH RAINBOWS

hebrew-christian mythology is the weakest fertile crescent mythology

Yes, and if you're struggling to survive, even a single moment can be the difference between life and death.

Try looking at a beautiful sunset when you're attacked by an army that will slaughter you if they get even the smallest opportunity for it. I can guarantee you that you won't give a flying shit about beautiful sunsets

So Gilgamesh is a holy text then? Why isn't it in the Bible?

If you're society has enough time to build up an army and wage war, I'm sure the individual has enough time to appreciate natural beauty. Your argument that appreciation of beauty is purely evolutionary is totally unfounded.

>being a YEC
>2016

sorry you meant to go back to

Do you know why Gilgamesh was a story? Because the flood actually happened you fucking DINGUS.

>All societies with armies will have defenses against wild animals or roving bandits or impressing mercenary bands

The world wasn't always your domesticated joy, retard. It was filled with danger once. It still is in parts of the world. Go tell Africans to enjoy the sunset you self-absorbed fucktwat.

>Christian "hospitality"

the only flood that happened ITT was me flooding ur mums cave

You really sound a lot like an uneducated Reddit fedoratard

Who pissed in your cheerios? I'm sure people in Africa enjoy their natural surroundings all the time. Don't take out your frustration over your shitty life on me.

A worldwide flood is literally impossible. The flood story comes out of the fact that societies close to rivers will have more fertile soil, and thus a better chance at creating a society with agriculture, which makes it more stable.

If you seriously believe that the story of Noah is an eyewitness account, you ought to have your brain checked

>backpedaling and defensiveness over being wrong

You don't even follow your own book, who's to tell me what to tell you?

My mother is dead.

Are you confused? I haven't posted anything Christianity-related at all.

I kno ;)

God is real, and you are the first person that goes to hell.

The impossible is possible through God.

Well, why should a purely subjective enjoyment of an accident of the universe have worth to someone? If it is simply an arbitrary release of endorphins as a reaction to stimuli as user says, every stimulus is equally shallow. Being moved by a piece of beautiful art has the same value as the pleasurable effects of a drug.

To actually regard one stimulus as being above another, surely there needs to be some transcendent value in one for the differentiation to be made.

Ah the old extortion tactic "IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE EVERY WORD I SAY YOU'LL GO TO HELL IN FIFTY YEARS"

>God
>beauty
>subjective interpretation
>brain
>chemical reaction
2spooky4me

You're right. But it is odd how focused n refuting God's existence some atheists are. You are literally Satan's cucks.

>not believing in God
Not a respectable position. Faith requires the absence of definite proof right in front of your face to believe.

Again, that's not an argument.

not an argument

Good, I'm not arguing with you.

>Good! I didn't want to convince anybody anyway!

so you were just shitposting? :)

What are you doing here then? Evangelizing? Because if you are, I can tell you it's not working

>anything saying God is real
NOT AN ARGUMENT
WAHHHHHHHH
NOT AN ARGUMENT

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
DEBATE ME ON THE ANTHROPOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT OF RELIGION NOT THAT FACT THAT GOD ACTUALLY EXISTS WHAAAAAAA

not an argument :^)

stay butthurt

I've noticed an increase in the amount of people who believe in God on the internet, yes.

Try again, because every post in one direction influences someone who reads it.

>>anything saying God is real

A meaningless proposition if it's not backed up with any reason why you believe this to be so

Stay mad christfag

>implying you do
So stop acting like I'm the one trying to proselytize people, Satan's cuck.

>he thinks he's influencing fuckall by shitposting really hard on a *chan

You mean faith?

Not Christian.

>I've noticed an increase in the amount of people who believe in God on the internet, yes.

And where did you get this data from? Your anal cavity?

>NO U

do you have anything further to state?

or do you just want to continue proving me right? :)))))

>he doesn't think God is real

>that have been rendered useless or absurd by science

You can see for yourself.
You are literally below the age of 20. Which wouldn't take me by surprise why you are an atheist.

Veeky Forums gets 27,700,000 unique visitors every month, it has clout.

>You can see for yourself.

Where?

>resorting to age insults now

Continue proving me right. :))))))

>Christian hospitality

Reddit has more unique visitors every month. Why not start there? ;)

After all, if buzz is all that matters, shouldn't reddit be superior choice for all you proselytizing christcucks?

It also has boards for pictures of dickgirls.

>doesn't dispute it
No, no. Continue proving ME right.

Veeky Forums is a rather mature board on here. I've seen discussions on sources and cognitive positions on philosophy, economics, and history that rival academia.

>then it's worthless.
Just like everything else.

C'mon, senpai, stop overthinking it.

>gets involved in childish insult slapfights on Veeky Forums
>calls anyone else under the age of 20

Continue proving me right. :)))))))))))))))

I feel sympathy for your bleak worldview.

>If beauty is simply a subjective interpretation our brain makes though a chemical reaction, then it's worthless
Correct

It's perfectly fine to me. You're the one who's being bleak- suggesting that random chance or meaningless existence can't contain joy itself. Live a little. You don't need the invisible sky daddy, whether or not you believe in him/her/it, to validate your enjoyment.

>To believe the enjoyment of something is simply a coincidence of how the dice have fallen is to make it worthless.

A reiteration, not an answer.

I've never understood this type of reductionist thinking. X is just your body's physical reaction to external stimuli therefore that stimuli is of no consequence ?

That's an oversimplification of the process.

also, see hard problem of consciousness.

> Being moved by a piece of beautiful art has the same value as the pleasurable effects of a drug.
Well, yes. Enjoyment is enjoyment, but it's still enjoyment.
Nothing more, nothing less.

The difference is in the sustainability of the experience.

You've never been a nihilist or an atheist.

>You've never been a nihilist or an atheist.

What did he mean by this

I think beauty in art is always meaningful. Even if the meaning of art is meaninglessness like dadaism our brains still categorize it as fitting the idea of meaningless and we go "Aha!" it makes sense.

The beauty in nature is more complicated but we enjoy symmetry, efficient proportions, uniformity in diversity, ordinariness and a type of perfection. If an object fits these ideas of physical beauty we view it as such.

What I don't get is that last part.

Do people really wanna believe in something like god just because if the world wasn't created with reason behind it, they think it's worthless?
What a childish notion.

>tumblrtoad posting

you're proving him right

It's amazing how christfags churn through layers of memes and snark to defend an indefensible position. It's the ultimate feels over reals argument.

>le hat man meme

Not an argument. He's right and you know it. Advancement turns primitive arguments obsolete. Might as well call him a fedora for accepting germ theory and turning his back on bloodletting and the humors.

>faith is indefensible

>science can derive an ought from an is

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh wait, you're serious?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every "mature" board on this site is shitposting on top of shitposting. Veeky Forums is full of the biggest pseuds that were laughed out of acedamia and sought out a safe space to spew their bullshit. The only good boards are the interest and hobby related boards that are honest with themselves and...dare I say it...self aware.

I think many theists make compelling arguments for the existence of God.
Richard Dawkins even admits that the fine-tuning theory is "curious."

>nuh-uh, I got a force field

No force fields dude we had an agreement

A nihilist should not have a problem with the equal value of behaviours that are not equally socially accepted. If OP lied about being a nihilist because of host atheism, then it's likely that he was not an atheist to begin with, but some kind of believer who thought his thread would be more successful if he appealed to the sympathy of his opponents for one of their own.

>phonetic laugh

Delete your account

sick donut. i wonder who made it?

Damn, if only academia could examine these arguments. This would surely prove Christian mythology once and for all!

I can't tell if christcucks are trolling or serious anymore

ur mums pooper after i fuked it for 40 hr strait

Deism and agnosticism are decent positions. What people on here are mocking is adherence to a specific mythology and it's specific set of rules as an answer to a wider question.

Just because life is inherently meaningless doesn't mean you can't prescribe it meaning according to your subjective view.

Even if it is subjective and a spook or some shit, I've chosen that spook as it works for my point of view.

Look at waifuism, they've chosen to find beauty in idealism that can never be reached, and some of them are happy with that, thats what works for them. I can't, because i've seen that which cannot be replaced. I've seen it amongst people and don't believe I can settle for a beauty that never must be fought for.
That's a value I have ascribed to something, that's a spook that I've spooked myself with, because it gives my life meaning.

t. poopdick

Actually, Nihilists in my experience are all a bunch of hypocrites.

They simply say that all experiences are equal in their hollowness, meanwhile living perfectly normal, frankly respectable lives, by society's standards, while in their own philosophy they can be doing absolutely anything without moral consequence. They simply "choose not to." Yeah, right.

Nihilists talk the talk but don't walk the walk

not an argument

>We are nihilists Lebowski! We believe in nothing!

Hume wasn't exactly a Christian and he refuted the science cult.

A lack of moral consequence does not mean a lack of practical consequence.
They're not hypocrites, just pussies.