Is science and technology good...

is science and technology good? it improves quality of life but it also causes more people to die in wars like in WW1 and 2, plus nuclear bombs.

Yeah. So what do you think, is it good or not? It's not like God is gonna come down and tell you the answer

Overall mortality per capita is down as tech makes more people than it kills

However there are several compelling arguments with the general idea that the discord between the enviorment we evolved in and the one we've made for ourselves is the root of much suffering

Hitler caused more people to die in a wars like in WW1 and 2. It's fault of retard leaders more than anything.

This is a good answer.

As brutal as the truth can be, just because people are living longer doesn't mean we are necessarily headed in a good direction. Plato once complained of the idea of a human race of people simply worshiping the older generations' clinging on to the vestiges of their lives because of incessant, unneeded advances in medical technology[The Republic]. A human life can only go on so long, and if you prolong it too far with technology and medicine, what is the point? Also, the famous Hippocrates said that the point of medicine is to prevent disease and death, not simply go around looking for things wrong with people to cure, like modern pharmaceutical companies.

Also, I believe in God, so some aspects of science are headed in completely the wrong direction. Wait, does this mean the entirety of science is headed in the wrong direction? Of course not, objectively no. But it isn't all correct. And Darwin did not have the greatest idea for the direction either.

One could argue that it was the wars which provoked that direction of technology in the first place.

>Implying nuclear bombs aren't the best thing to happen to geopolitics ever.

m8 nukes ensure Russia and USA are never ever going to direct warfare.

How is that a good thing? Wars have managed population levels

GTFO Malthus

>This is a good answer.

It's fundamentally hedonistic and assumes that suffering is an evil.

>Plato once complained of the idea of a human race of people simply worshiping the older generations' clinging on to the vestiges of their lives because of incessant, unneeded advances in medical technology[The Republic]. A human life can only go on so long, and if you prolong it too far with technology and medicine, what is the point?

Plato criticized Hypocrates for prolonging his own life with medicine. He was a fucking moron and deserves to be forgotten.

>But it isn't all correct.

If it isn't wrong, it must be correct. There is no middle ground.

Population levels aren't a concern for either country.

Science and technology are neither good nor bad, they just are. They are also completely inevitable in the hell-mell anarchistic scramble that is the competition between societies.

We need to take a step back and look at what we're doing with a more elevated view.
There is a hive mentality and it seems the hive is busy piling up the tinder for it's own destruction.
Which pleases the delusional faggots who think they'll just pop off to mars with Elon Musk to live forever in a laboratory, but realistically we need to have a more quality not quantity approach and think about our purpose here as individuals and a whole.
The fact that we could probably all live comfortably, with dignity and peace and not have to slave away yet that idea is laughed away by the powers that be is worrying.
They don't even want you to think that is remotely possible, and it's nothing more than politics.

>If it isn't wrong, it must be correct. There is no middle ground.
What are you talking about? There's no middle ground with scientific/technological improvements?? You've either got to be a delusional fuedalist 'born in le wrong era' or agree with 100% of scientific advancement, even grafting penises on mice?

I think the reality is there is always a middle ground with regards to scientific advancement.

1 american is 1 too many.
t. rest of the world

Because of industrial revolution, all stupid and low class people are able to reproduce better than the educated elite. What society can be build when it cater to retards and losers, on every opportunity?!

Good is relative - there needs to be a living subject for good or evil to be acted upon.

Good and evil as perspective attributes cannot be attributed to something as vague as "science" in any case - science is a methodology, not a thing.

I think Science has done some powerfully useful things however.

You can't build an aeroplane out of soda crackers and faith.

+1

>what is human judgement and discretion
>absolutely haram
user please

>What are you talking about? There's no middle ground with scientific/technological improvements?? You've either got to be a delusional fuedalist 'born in le wrong era' or agree with 100% of scientific advancement, even grafting penises on mice?

There is none. You either agree with it all because it betters humanity, or you disagree with it because you're a fucking idiot.

Someone else has even disagreed with that stance. It's wrong.

Also why the fuck should I give a flying shit about people grafting dicks on mice? We're a fucking greater organism; to them we are effectively gods. If doing that might improve the lives of even one human, I say graft dicks on all the fucking mice.

See the second part of that statement. There can be more than one fucking idiot in the world.

>inb4 but what about unethical experimentation

There's a hierarchy here. The aim of science should be human betterment, if it comes at a cost of human life, then it's not accomplishing its proper aim.

Ah fuck it, I'm gonna come clean. I'm just talking shit. Of course I acknowledge there are parts of scientific research we shouldn't go into. In fact I did so in that post. But I don't think grafting dicks on mice is that big of a deal, since the only argument you could make against it (that you couldn't make against all animal testing) is a strictly emotional one based in one's personal sense of aesthetics.

Right. Conservatism is necessary in all areas of human progress.

Everyone has their line. But any line you can draw is going to be arbitrary.

I-I agree...?!

>Also, I believe in God, so some aspects of science are headed in completely the wrong direction.
What aspects of science?

Read the entire post you dingus.

it is good for the people who matter

I thought all lives matter?

It causes people to fall for the eternal progress meme.

I'd argue that medicine is provide health. But health is only means to an end, the end being a fulfilling life. However long or short that may be.

>implying that there isn't a social dialectic we're being driven along

I think technology is inherently evil and using it prevents one from perceiving their divine nature.

The problem is we are all dependent on technology for survival.

The church had it right with the dark ages.