How many Veeky Forumsterectomies actually have a degree in history? Or any experience in a history-related field?

How many Veeky Forumsterectomies actually have a degree in history? Or any experience in a history-related field?

none

This place is for wikihistorian, armchair generals and professional shitposters looking for easy (you)'s.

Museums.

>not gaining all your history knowledge from Veeky Forums memes

top pleb

I'm a little more than halfway through a master's program in archaeology. This can be a good place to procrastinate.

>master's program in archaeology
Mah nigga.

>This can be an excellent place to procrastinate.
ftfy

Bachelor's in archaeology. Did my field school in the southwest, and worked on-and-off as a field tech for a few years while considering grad school.

It's not how I pay the bills these days, moved on to something more lucrative and stable (not that that's a very high bar to set) and I have no current plans to go back to school for archaeology or anything related, although I'm not completely ruling it out forever. Either way, I have no regrets.

>field school in the southwest
Mind if I ask where? You an Arizonafag working on the kivas?

That's where I was gonna do field.

>Did my field school in the southwest, and worked on-and-off as a field tech
Where? I'm just curious because I'm currently based in the southwest, and there aren't that many schools in the area.

second year of uni, double majoring in History and Asian Studies since I can speak Japanese. It's useful to get a skill like a language on your resume if you want to do anything with the degree.

this

why get a degree in a subject that only teaches you how to teach itself? why not study history as a hobby on your own time?

history degrees are memes, physical certificates of falling for leftist rhetoric.

>Veeky Forums - History and Humanities
>and Humanities

BA in Anthropology with a focus on Archaeology here

I work in Forestry

imho, archaeo is more Veeky Forums than most history.
But I'm an arch undergrad too, so there's that.

>just be an autodidact it's easy

you fucking stem nerds are insufferable. Curation of historical knowledge by people who have been studying history most of their adult lives is way more valuable than a fucking Wikipedia article.

>Need to have a working knowledge of:
> Sociology
> Psychology
> Genetics
> History
> Geology
> Geography
> Forensics

I mean, it's a joke as a professional field, but as a knowledge base it's fucking excellent.

CU Boulder. Not a southwestern school, obviously, but for its field school it usually bounces around between a couple different sites in the SW.

Hence why I switched over to administration for grad, but seriously, the most well rounded students I see are in the anth department.

>m-muh degree!

Obviously professional fields work with this skill set, but studying history for the sake of studying will rack up a fuckton of debt with little to no real payoff. Read nonfiction books, research academic journals and reliable sources, don't leave it up to fucking Wikipedia. Wikipedia is good for reference, random facts, and summaries, not actual learning.

Seems a little harsh to call it a joke as a professional field. I mean, it's not like it's biochemical engineering or nothing, but at least in America -- can't speak for the situation in other countries, though one of the grad students in my dept was always talking about how amazing it was to do archaeology in Portugal or something -- it's one of very few social sciences where you can find employment in it and get a career started, in the private sector, not academia, with just a bachelor's. It's challenging and competitive, sure, but plenty make it work.

Or maybe there's ways to do that with history or sociology too that I just don't know about. I'm not trying to shit on anybody's field.

I have a degree in History and Politics, currently working in a library. I just plain love books.

I want to do my Master's and then my PhD but I don't know if I have the money for it.

>one of very few social sciences where you can find employment in it and get a career started
I see exactly zero sociologists doing fieldwork toward a survey career or in the museum.

I don't even see them in the interdisciplinary projects it's always a bajillion psychfags and a handful of philosophers or ethnographers.

Socio is a good field and all, but I do see what you mean about career bases in the socials.

If you wanna work without a terminal degree anth and the related fields are fine bet.

>currently working in a library
You got a special collections section, microfilm repository, or other neat library things or are you just working with general stacks?

My uni has a special collections division with some great materials and the museum works with them pretty closely (as in we given them all the books from collection).

Personally my advice to anybody who really wanted to study history would be, major in something sensible and marketable, but double major in history, or minor in it and figure out which profs you like and audit a whole bunch of their courses. There's real benefit to studying this stuff formally. When you go at it all on your own, you'll learn a ton, sure, but you leave yourself open to developing big blind spots. There's just too much material.

Also a second major or a minor in one of the humanities can look pretty good if you majored in something stemmy or businessy. Insofar as employers care about your minors at all, of course. But if you're a comp. sci major, a music minor or a history minor can look even better than an econ or math minor - shows you're well-rounded.

I have a B.A in history. Its true when it comes to history most people without a history degree botch things badly since they dont understand the methodology.

That said unless you want to go into law, politics, academics or teaching it is a pretty useless degree.

I generally agree with this, but this point of view neglects two pretty important factors:

1. A degree in history, or a related field will teach you how to do good research. This is important, since critical thinking and source analysis are things that don't come naturally (seriously see this board as an example) and are important if you actually want to learn about the field. A formal education can also open you open to things that wouldn't be possible otherwise; for example, without studying archaeology formally, it's really fucking hard to know what the field is actually like or how to do/analyze research in the field.

2. Most employers just care that you have a degree. The important thing is showing that you can commit to work and have some kind of knowledge base that shows you can produce good work. That's why English majors have the highest rate of employment. Unless you're applying to a field with a specific requirement, or a field with a degree specifically tied to it (archaeology is one, by the way), no one really cares what the degree is. So, for jobs that most people are going for, a specific degree isn't necessary, and that means studying what you want can be a good way of getting the requirement of a degree out of the way.

In general, being realistic about what you want is key. If you want to work in STEM, don't get a history degree, because it will be worthless. But in most cases, history as a degree isn't necessarily a bad option.

Professional military science historian, interpreter and experimental archeologist , with several museums under my belt. Pic related, back when I worked for Jamestown/Yorktown Foundation.

Veeky Forums so far has disappointed me, as it is actively trying to be retarded. Veeky Forums has better history threads.

Add Statistical analysis to that list.

>Statistical analysis
>tfw gridding off a field for sampling
>tfw variance of ceramic finds
>tfw trace element analysis

He also forgot linguistics, biology, and comparative religion.

My point is, for a field of study that's become synonymous with "useless degree," and is the whipping boy of the "don't get a humanities degree learn to code!" movement, I have a MUCH wider knowledge base than most of my friends and colleagues who majored in other things.

I realize that I'm preaching to the choir on a humanities board but it definitely bothers me.

As someone who simply likes to learn things I ended up in anthro because it allowed me the most diverse education possible, and I've found it applies to a fuckload more "real-world" shit than it's ever given credit for.

As I said, I work in Forestry. I'm a surveyor for the Forest Service and I sure as shit wouldn't have gotten that job without the Archaeology background.

BA in history and AS in Public history

Hi Gropey I'm from ytown and currently live in wburg

Grew up running XC on the battlefields and exploring epic civil war trenches

Yorktown sight is fucking great, Jamestown restoration great, bless you papa

i listen to dan carlin so Im kind of a big deal

Why? I've noticed that archaologist and paleontologist honours, PhDs and recent grad researchers that put in effort seem to be well looked after with day jobs at museums and zoos.

Top of my 60 student class in A levels. I then went on to study a degree where I could get a job.

Cool shit. Im in Williamsburg myself, obviously. You frequent /k/? We're planning mus/k/etfest sometime next year. Its like nuggetfest, but with at least 20% less homo eroticism, and certainly better hats.

Jamestown Settlement > Henricus > Colonial Williamsburg > Private sites > Yorktown

B.A. Degree in History (also a member of Phi Alpha Theta, the national history honor society).

7 months away from finishing my MA in comparative religion. I was only able to secure teaching work when I just had the BA. And I expect I'll only be able to secure marginally better teaching positions with the MA. Praying it's enough and that I can just publish a paper or two, and never feel the need to go for that PhD. Grad school is extremely time consuming.

Bump

>he has a History Channel logo as a tattoo

I have a history degree and i work for a telecommunications company. I have no idea what i'm doing

>He doesn't understand that you need a seperate degree to teach any subject

I did a degree and a master's in History from a world-class Uni.

I've worked in my country's civil service, for a major international consultancy firm, and now I'm a deputy director at a small but successful European bank.

History is not a meme, at least in EU. Thinking there's no opportunities from doing it IS the meme. It teachers you research and textual analysis skills that few other degrees can.

This. So much this.

Why don't you prospective History undergrads just do a postgrad Law anyway? History is a fantastic stepping stone onto a legal career.

Well i fix old stuff so kinda related.