So AoE2 is getting a new expansion

So AoE2 is getting a new expansion

Aren't those Kamakura Buddhas though? Don't Southeast Asian cultures have a different art style for their statuary?

Other than that, how does the architecture look?

Other urls found in this thread:

brianholihan.com/southeast-asian-cultures/ancient-laos-develops-its-voice/
moddb.com/mods/age-of-chivalry-hegemony
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>another expansion
Microsoft is really milking this at this point.

>Malay – Conquer Southeast Asia with the vast island empire of Malay and upgrade your docks to harbours which can shoot arrows. The Malay unique unit is the Karambit Warrior, an extremely cheap infantry unit that can quickly overwhelm its foes.
REEEEEEEEEEEEE NOT EVERYONE IN INSULAR SEA IS MALAY
RRRRREEEEEEEEE KERAMBIT IS NATIVE INDONESIAN
HOLY SHIT IM FUCKING MAD.

>expansions for a 16 year old game
This is fucking retarded. Can't they just create a sequel?

It seems a lot of developers are incapable of making a decent RTS now.

African campaigns were pretty good. Actually fun to play unlike the trash in the first user xpac.

No one's answered my fucking question

[spoiler] sorry for being a faggot [/spoiler]

>Can't they just create a sequel?
Well, yes, they made TWO: Age of Mythology (which had its own expansion) and AoEIII (which had two expansions)

There was an online, weird mmo version with a cartoony artstyle as well

But there hasn't been AoEIV yet, probably because its all MOBAs now instead of RTS. Same reason no warcraft IV

Are you really expecting a game where you can destroy a stone castle with javelin, that covers around 1000 years of history in a few hours, to be accurate?

Aoe4 won't be as good as Aoe2 and Wc4 won't be as good as Wc3 so what's the point other than for shilling for a quick buck

That's a shamefully defeatist attitude. A sequel offers room for improvement where an expansion doesn't, for instance modernizing the engine and interface.

>modernizing the inetrface
You mean dumbing shit down with "streamlined" options, aka getting rid of any semblance of player interaction with the game.
don't forget the mandatory internet connection and ads for other Microsoft products glued to the menu interface, christ I hate videogames

At least I still have memories of William Wallace shouting about straight lines and a French guy talking about his waifu
>It was then that I first saw the girl. She told us she was but a peasant, who did not know how to ride or fight. She told us she intended to rescue France
>The darkness lifted from the mens soul. Her words rang with conviction and we drank in every word. I may have lost my faith, but Joan has not lost hers, and that is enough for me

Are you looking forward to the next lotr book?

Have you played anything pumped out by the modern game industry, especially stuff by big corporate studios? They won't make any improvements and will ruin everything that was good

>This is fucking retarded. Can't they just create a sequel?
They did and no one like Age of Empires 3.

Partly because it wasn't Age of Empires 2.
Possibly also because people didn't like the time period, and that the mechanics were worse off.
Another factor could've been 3d, a lot of games had trouble transitioning to 3d.

I liked AoE3.
My computer would shit itself whenever I tried making 50 Ottoman Bombards shoot at something though.

No, I just mean making it easier and more effective to use. Shit like how in Warcraft 3 you could alt tab between units to use their special ability, which ties into an upgrade to the engine (versus starcraft) where only one of them would use an ability rather than all dozen of the medics you've selected blinding that science vessel. Micro is a waste byproduct, not gameplay itself.

I guess you've never played a videogame made in the past 5 years then.

AoE 2 time period is shit. Now AoE 1 time period, awesome.

Wasn't there an indie developer open-alpha-ing an RTS that was basically an expanded AoE1? What ever happened with that?

AoE 3 was great

>Not palying exclusively multiplayer with your friends

0 AD is what you're thinking of

MS killed the original devs last console generation though, because a 360 exclusive RTS didn't sell well enough. From what I've heard the latest expansions were originally mods that got expanded and published. The Age of Mythology expansion with the Chinese for example does feel kind of rough around the edges. A lot of reused models/content which fit poorly with the setting its going for.

Maybe it's just me, but it reminded me a lot of playing around with the AoM editor in terms of quality as opposed to the official Titans expansion.

Video games are in decline. It's time to grow out of them anyway.

*tips fedora

I'd rather see a reboot of aoe 1 and 2 with better graphics and unique skins for each civ.

this, aoe i was fucking perfect

Seriously, can anyone reply to the question?

Would be great if we got minoan titties in aoe.

>African campaigns were pretty good.
WE

At last, Southeast Asians featured in a RTS. My only gripe is that we won't see Tibetans ever, but I get why they will never do it.

It's a mixture of studios knowing their audience (which gets its eyes clouded by nostalgia and "being used to it); the fact that MOBAs are, for some unfathomable reason, popular now; and the fact that, after AoE III, you'd have to either start all over (getting complains about 'being lazy for recycling ideas') or push forward in the Post-Napoleonic Era up to the Cold War (which will get some other people complaining that empires didn't exist anymore at point).

>Aren't those Kamakura Buddhas though?
Maybe more like pic related? Sauce is:
brianholihan.com/southeast-asian-cultures/ancient-laos-develops-its-voice/

I believe statues of the Buddha should be "less dressed" in hotter climates. But the position isn't wrong.

>how does the architecture look?
Is that Khmer?

Best architecture.

>Try multiplayer.
>Become raped.
>Constantly.
>No matter how hard i try

yeah as far as i can tell from that 300x300 pixel 3D statue that is a knockoff of the Daibutsu at kamakura

but the japs were just copying the ching chongs and the cant poo in looers so who cares? I rate it a 2/10 on the cringe scale.

historic MOBA based on AoE or Rome:TW when?

>MOBA

bro its the exact same chunky buddha with the same muhdra (hand signal) and the exact same droopy robe showing off his fat squarish titties

Id know dem titties anywhere and dems is my kamakura copper tits.

its identical down to the wrinkles in his titty flashin robe bro!

Bro!

It doesn't have to be Napoleonic at all, they could just make a Bronze Age game again. Those are seriously hard to find, besides AoE 1 and Chariot of War there's literally nothing.

the people who frequent multiplayer are powergamers, they maximise every resource, every second counts, they do "builds" and rush to win every fucken time. Its just not enjoyable and its hard to find people on your own skilllevel

0AD is set in Hellenistic times

Which is around 1000 years after the Bronze Age.

There's a mod for 0AD set in Bronze age. I think it's called Aristeia.

This. I just want to have fun building shit and conquering at a regular pace. This is why I usually just team up with friends against the AI. It's more enjoyable. I always get BTFO in mutliplayers before even getting to Imperial Age.

Reminder to try this out if you haven't

moddb.com/mods/age-of-chivalry-hegemony

Total conversion focusing mostly on central and western Europe

>mfw /v/ has taken the WE WUZ/POO IN LOO memepill and embraced contrarianism and pissing off SJWs so much that they actually think the khmer were subsaharan african tier and their inclusion in the new AoE DLC is appealing to diversity

that's what happens when a meme is forced on ignorant people.

How do you get into [local co-op/versus] gaming?

PC is best right? Biggest catalogue, modifications, customisation, specs, etc.

What desktop hardware is the best value?

How do you set it up for a comfy 'just werks'?

theres plenty of noobs. Literally everyone below 1600 elo plays the game for fun.

How is it even possible to get that wrong in this Wikipedia era?

Faggot ass MOBA killed RTS. Yes, I mad.

I was a mem+ on microsoft zone (if anyone remembers that!) and played the shit out of AoC. There's a handfull of diehard players out there still. The really good players, and community in general, has ended up at voobly. Sadly, voobly is shit.

Dota and LoL were a fucking mistake

There's a club I almost joined at my university. The sign was for "Old RTS club" or some shit, had AoE, AoM, old warcraft, starcraft.... and LoL.

Holy fuck get gud scrubs.
I play Age of Mythology semicompetetively, I see you every day joining 1700+ rated games over and over again, then if we let you play you resign after 5 minutes. If you just copied one of the same basic build orders for the first 5 minutes of the game that everyone else does, you could destroy all your nooby friends without even trying.

> tfw no historical moba
I would maind Kaiser Wilhelm...

Til bardaga!

I've played a few. The new Doom was pretty excellent, not exactly a successor to the originals though (it seemed to borrow more from Painkiller in playstyle).

>Holy fuck get gud scrubs.

No. There's no point in playing games with the intention of turning them into a bland mechanical chore.

AoE3 would be great if they didnt make the whole fucking thing Americacentric. Really limited the whole fucking thing. AoE was an international wide ranging romp.

It took us, what, 2 Expansions to get out of the Americas? Holy shit.

>Shit like how in Warcraft 3 you could alt tab between units to use their special ability

I didn't know you could have multiple instances of the game running at once

The focus on the New World was justified by the game mechanic of relying on shipments from the main land to your colony.

to my understanding, it's still in open alpha.

>I play Age of Mythology semicompetetively
you're part of the cancer that's killing video games

Seriously, competitive vidya and the people who participate are just embarrassing. Maybe it could be done in some better way, but the people it's attracted are too shit for any sort of improvements in the community.

>wanting to win is cancer
Not everyone is a casual. Some people have great fun finding ways to optimize their game and really attempting to win.

It's not wanting to win. And some people just try to optimize their performance in a game for fun. But it's everything else implied by "competitive," like people who don't optimize every little aspect of their performance being faggots who should stop playing the game