/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Remember to actually learn some relevant skills before making a game.

> Play Demo Day 19
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-19

> Game Jam (Small World)
itch.io/jam/agdg-small-world-jam

> Helpful links
Weekly Recap: recap.agdg.io
AGDG Steam Games: homph.com/steam
Fanart and stuff: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6j4pcv3V-vfb3hKSlhRRzlLbFE
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/74btH1aJ
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/mU021G8w

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com
Panda3D: panda3d.org

>Learn algorithms:
coursera.org/specializations/algorithms

>Learn maths and physics:
khanacademy.org/math
khanacademy.org/science/physics

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Attached: -Dn429I0_400x400.png (386x386, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/288aCq2KeFM?list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxEywXdHyFWxKFqRLPBvPKX
youtu.be/phApvGDnDuM?list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxEywXdHyFWxKFqRLPBvPKX
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxEywXdHyFWxKFqRLPBvPKX
dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4047400/Beer-demand-parties-weekend-site-sauna-Seven-months-London-s-luxury-commune-opened-doors-room-oldest-resident-just-44.html
miniclip.com/games/8-ball-pool-multiplayer/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

reposting for new thread
please help me choose a color scheme from one of these or suggest something else

Attached: m6MC6Kd.png (160x153, 3K)

First for cucks everywhere

Attached: cuck.png (372x539, 280K)

red hair

Who are you and why do you keep on shilling Panda3d

You will never get past the sad panda, will you?

>open source game engine that's 100% free and utilizes python and c++
What's the problem here, squirt?

Bottom right or top left

Attached: class combination.png (655x944, 47K)

The red one stands out way better, at least withing the context you've provided.

stolen

I vote red

Attached: frost 18-03-03 guilt 2.gif (500x550, 361K)

Someone should steal this design and make a game based around it

Attached: 1486955578081.jpg (1500x800, 823K)

That design was already stolen though

So far my iso RPG is using shitty basic art and I need to start making some real sprites. It's low res, a character is only 32pixels high max, any cheats or shortcuts available to make all the animations and views for each character or will I just have to sit and do it by hand?

I played a couple more demos.

Within the Green:
youtu.be/288aCq2KeFM?list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxEywXdHyFWxKFqRLPBvPKX

Ballbastic:
youtu.be/phApvGDnDuM?list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxEywXdHyFWxKFqRLPBvPKX

30 other videos:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQOFZ7Uvt6WxEywXdHyFWxKFqRLPBvPKX

Attached: Demos.png (368x279, 165K)

by what desu?

Not by, from.

How th fuck do you keep your in game menus (inventory, quest log) and game state synced?
>Let menus directly access game state each frame
>Update a cache every frame and draw menus from that
>Let gamestate update cache when it changes by registering some callback functions
>Only update cache when some edit flag has been set on some part of gamestate
>Use imidiate mode menus to draw directly from gamestate

3d model, that u take a low res photo of.
it would probly take u more time to make 1 model vs 1 sprite.
but with 1 model u can get as many angles as u want (probly liek 6?)

Unless you're dealing with thousands of objects with their own inventories that need to be displayed you're overthinking this

What did lego steal their design from?

What would be the gameplay like? I'd like to do something with a desert (or an ice planet) but I'm not sure how to make it a fun game.

Attached: scifi 1507448088563.jpg (736x1104, 92K)

>INTELECTUAL """PROPERTY"""

I fucking restarted it. i re-installed the fucking thing twice. it was fucking working a few days ago. fuck you, you cunt!

Attached: Fuck you wacom.png (373x228, 7K)

Go Huion instead. They've improved drastically over the last few years while still retaining a lower price.

>falling for the art meme
also not gamedev

Remember that it would be nice if your game had some waving!

Attached: waving2.gif (480x320, 458K)

>art not game dev.
I bet your game's a real piece of shit.

I'm glad to see you're still working on this
how many dungeons do you have finished so far?

no because i can get my tablet working

>python
absolute filth

there's 5 dungeons in game, plus small intro and final dungeons. It's on hold for now because I've got a dev job. I had to update gamemaker for the job and it fucked over a bunch of the saving/loading stuff that is a nightmare to fix, so I'm seriously considering remaking it in a new codebase I'm making for a smaller side project, pic related

Attached: dm 17-09-12.png (792x599, 44K)

Who wants to collab on a UE4 Homeworld inspired VR game with me :^)

Attached: Kiddicraft.jpg (1065x640, 150K)

I tried.

Attached: 3535443.jpg (774x670, 49K)

why didn't you just keep the old version of gamemaker alongside the new?

cgcookie.com

I know nothing about 3d, but I'm going to try this. Guess I'll learn to use blender.

I didn't even think about it
yes I'm a retard

>cgcookie.com

i don't just learn to learn. i'd rather watch people building real houses and filming it. the tutorials on this site are all over the place in terms of topics.

how did you manage to get a gamemaker dev job

by having a portfolio and being really lucky. They actually advertised here about 6 months ago and I thought "fuck it" and applied
I showed them my dev tumblr and my itchio with some demos and they liked my work

>MonoBehaviour
You cannot use ctor in Monobehav
It uses different model without ctros

What's your game about user

How much are you getting paid? Profit-share, solid salary, or both?
I'm proud of you, user!

do you think quitting your "passions" and just getting a real job would fix your life or make you even more depressed?
do you think you could even fit in into any normal job anymore?

>critiquing the syntax of a troll post
anyways, you can have ctors in monobehaviors

you can NOT hav ctors with arguments though. it’s a big pain in the ass.

i'm too autistic, i'll survive on autismbux and try to do game dev and maybe other programming related stuff

Well, strictly speaking Unity 2017.3 HAS collisions for Kinematic bodies but it is not recommended because poor quality. Basically godot has the same pissues as posted earlier.

I've never had a job, so no idea! But I would assume that for normies it pays off to have a regular job.

>That's exactly what happens now, I will be adding several raycasts and making it so that held objects are considered an extension of the player and ignored by the raycast,

What if I find a plane big enough to cover me and duck in a corner using it as a cover without moving?
If you "fix the bug" you remove such possibility

They actually did a house tutorial recently.

Profitshare's a scam and thankfully my boss isn't a scammer
Thanks, it's a really good team and the game's shaping up well. I'm keen to show it off when the boss gives the ok.

I've been working retail jobs for about 8 years now part time while deving on the side. I probably couldn't do a "real" job if I tried. Working a shit job for shit part part time can be pretty mind numbing but it's worth it to do what you love on the side. Thankfully now I've got a dev job too

Pays off to have a job.
Yeah i need food to eat and a place to sleep.

you seem to fundamentally misunderstand the concept of a job.

Seems good.
I'm part of a profitshare, but it's an entirely new studio so everyone is taking a profitshare. I'm hoping it works out for the better. Hoping the studio grows in the future more than the 10% right now.

>you can have ctors in monobehaviors
It wont behave correctly.
That's why you cant really use new to make instance of Monobehav directly and then attach to GO

hopefully it works out well for you, user

Attached: thumbsup.jpg (347x346, 105K)

I wasn't talking about money, tho. It pays off because it gives meaning and structure. Also coworkers and parties. So it's a psychological and social payoff.

Attached: 3BC5C24800000578-4047400-image-a-20_1483345204840.jpg (962x643, 183K)

I hope so too.
But we all know how indie devs usually turn out.
Hard work makes the dream work, anons!

Attached: RTZ'd.png (991x745, 928K)

i get social anxiety looking at this picture. since i became a loner, i've quit smoking, alcohol, drugs and had a much healthier diet. i always feel confused around people when i have to talk with them.

For me, the picture represents something I wanted when I was younger, but could never have: Social life, coworkers, parties.

But even if magically tomorrow I found a job and got my life in order, I doubt it would be like that. Simply because those people are 10 years younger than me and also normies, obviously.

Pic is the middle girl, from another angle.

Attached: 3BC5C16200000578-4047400-image-a-35_1483370382106.jpg (962x644, 118K)

posting a 2nd pic of a rando girl as if we had some attachment to her?

yeah u seem like a weirde.

>flip flops

Attached: For_what_purpose.jpg (323x454, 25K)

that picture hits me two very different ways. If I think of them as "work friends" it's anxiety. If I imagine it's "actual friends who started a business" it's everything I've ever wanted.

I would put my life into a business with actual friends. Well, it's been many years since I've had that kind of friendship, but what I remember of it. too bad it becomes increasingly impossible to make new ones after a certain age

Yeah, I had her pictures saved up. But where are they from? Had to recheck. It's some sort of living space for youngsters. And now I'm not sure if it's actually the same girl in the middle at all, heh: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4047400/Beer-demand-parties-weekend-site-sauna-Seven-months-London-s-luxury-commune-opened-doors-room-oldest-resident-just-44.html

>u seem like a weirde.
That was already established. ;__;

>"actual friends who started a business"

i can't really trust younger people with business.

our problem is that the old generation is not up to date and therefore the young generation has no leaders. internet and technology basically changed the whole world so much that now younger people have to teach elder people how to get a job.

it's all twisted right now. at least in my experience.

>21
bruh i thought she was well into her thirties

>trying to learn c# and "dot net"
For real, this is fucking madness. All this boilerplate insanity and things you're just supposed to accept your tools doing for you. I was ahead of the game early in the internet, but now accidentally hitting F12 on even the simplest looking webpages it's like, what in the unholy fuck is happening here.

This isn't your blog. Go somewhere else.

Don't blame me. Blame the guy who was asking about jobs: If you wanted a hardcore dev general, you could setup one somewhere else. "Absolutely no offtopic posts!" and all that. But that's not how /agdg/ works, and never has.

Attached: Trump 1504004498126.jpg (1024x682, 155K)

Ever notice how when blogposters and pedophiles get told to fuck off the first thing they claim is "but actually this website has always loved me"

you are assuming my life is broken somehow and that I'm depressed even a little bit
you sound like you have some bigger issues than just what you're working towards

what do you even want in life and is gamedev a path towards that? if no, then do something else
what would happen if you maintained your current habits for the next 5 years? if it would be catastrophe then use that as motivation to stop being such a worthless sack of shit, or don't I don't care I have a game to work on

Ever realized they are right? (Well, obviously you haven't, but just saiyan.)

Attached: 4chan 1509331517284.jpg (384x512, 32K)

>"Don't blame me for taking the bait, blame the guy who made the bait! "

Hilarious.

at least the pedophiles aren't nodevs.

Prodev commented on the /v/ thread:

All of them except one are and even that guy hasn't made it in five years and never will

what about skinny emasculated glasses bro there. I'm never uncomfortable around people who look inferior to me.

Prodev here. Use a unique idea. With a proper foundation of gaming knowledge, you can easily alter a common trope with a fresh change you want. Also, you can then call yourself a prodev.

nah

Attached: 2018-03-18 04-00-45.webm (508x480, 2.96M)

>coworkers and parties
no thanks

why not

Looks interesting, but what is even happening here??

a boss that makes the previous form of itself
because it's not fair

Attached: 523e5c5e43c2f09001ca33e28a7fb775.png (302x239, 159K)

For goodness sake how much meth did you take this weekend Meth Chip dev?

miniclip.com/games/8-ball-pool-multiplayer/en/
why does this random ass pool game have 17,000 concurrent players?

bots or it's the first result when you google "pool game online"
don't underestimate normie's shit taste

yikes is that fat man on the left wearing a blouse??? i would never associate with trans* people it would ruin my reputation and my game would never sell

>flash
We 2002 now

Attached: really.jpg (323x323, 72K)

Why do 17k people still have flash hole installed jesus

thanks for remembering the name

Attached: 2018-03-18 04-34-20.webm (508x480, 803K)

boss is making boss (previous form) very rapidly.
It looked cool.

Is this true?

No. Regular people shitpost here too.

Dunno, you made that post so how about you answer yourself

So you are new here, huh? Sadly there's only one pedo game being developed here on /agdg/, so the guy you linked is selling you a false impression. :(

>Sadly
So you're saying you want more of that here?

And you dont???

Wow, you can read! Congrats, user. :)