/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Where have all the good roguelikes gone?

previous
>FAQ
pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

>What to Play
pastebin.com/SGJye9We

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/3kegcmjA

>News
7drl is over, play them here
itch.io/jam/7drl-challenge-2018/entries

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>Roguelike Servers:
roguenex.us/ (CDDA, angband, PCB)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
hardfought.org/ (Nethack and variants, including slex)

Attached: a voice pooks out.jpg (380x307, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/d698a02385f1ebeb1120b6bcbd2c1418b7282010
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: @.jpg (480x360, 15K)

dying permanently as usual

>Where have all the good roguelikes gone?
They are abandoned and dead. Roguelikes have evolved. Now is the age of Roguelites. No longer are you bound by sheer numbers,live action decides things.
You should EMBRACE it rlg

Fourth for FUCK RODNEY

Attached: Fire.png (800x480, 59K)

>having your own skill determine the outcome instead of a random dice roll
Not a roguelike.

Attached: roguelike general.png (712x636, 26K)

>real time twitch based reaction games with permadeath
ew

>spore releasing plants
Fungaloids? Those are mostly harmless.
If you kill a regular fungaloid in melee, there's a chance to get a deadly fungal infection. This is bad, but the regular fungaloids don't actually try to fight you, so you can just walk past them. At least until they breed enough to block everything completely, but that should take a while. They're safe to kill at range, or with reach attacks.
Fungal fighters will attack you, but you won't catch the fungus from them, and they aren't very strong.
Fungaloids also fight zombies, or rather stand around and infest zombies when they die. This leaves you with fungal zombies, but they're pushovers.
The fluid sacks can be rendered into cooking oil.

Attached: fungaloids.png (414x555, 19K)

>Foo

>Fungal fighters will attack you, but you won't catch the fungus from them, and they aren't very strong.
Fungal fighters are actually triffids, which you probably don't want to mess with early on, especially if you're using pk mod.

shit i forgot to cheipost in the last thread before it archived

That seems fitting

I hope you cast a lot of neat spells today, anonymous!

Attached: Sorcery Sunday.png (249x249, 4K)

does burglary count as a spell

Attached: book 1 is pretty dang bad but at least i cast with dex instead of int now.png (530x201, 18K)

depends on your race

apparently i am so good at burgling I can build trapdoors in a swamp

the burglary traps pick a random effect from a list of possible options, and unfortunately this is one of them. it makes the first tier trap spell pretty bad against non-unique monsters, at least if you want loot or xp

Attached: .png (554x710, 15K)

did 7dayrl have any cool actual 7dayrl's or did everyone just cheat and submit stuff theyve been working on for years again

Attached: 1514720506691.jpg (1500x850, 702K)

Patient Rogue is fun, but since its core gameplay isn't obfuscated under a graph it technically isn't a roguelike.

what the FUCK is this oranges bullshit

Attached: oh anon-chan.jpg (421x273, 33K)

Hey thanks for the info, user! I wasn't sure if it was plants or zombies (just assumed it was plants) since I could only hear the sound of the spores releasing. This is good info though and I'll definitely keep it in mind on my next character!

DCSS doesn't have spellbooks anymore?

yes it does but instead of learning individual spells out of them you just fuckin eat the whole book at once

BLOAT
L
O
A
T

it was a good change though
they didnt remove shit they just added a new spellbook library feature
now your spellbooks go into your library and you just have a list of every spell you've seen in your 'M'emorize menu without having to fuck around with stashes or micromanaging books

Fucking bears, man.

but now i can't burn them

rip that nerd

Attached: .png (633x60, 8K)

today black market was a pretty cool dude

If they removed the memorize menu and just treated every spell you've seen as known (also removing the spell slot system), spellcasters would still be underpowered.

shit

Attached: .png (654x150, 21K)

>page 9

Attached: oranges.png (246x134, 28K)

Blogpost: i finally found the code for the > sign and succesfully swapped an empty key to it, now i'm able to play roguelikes again!

same user who posted before.

how am i supposed to survive a single day in cdda? literally everywhere i go i am surrounded by dozens of zombies and can't reach anything of value before being killed. i just went into the closest city from me and got ganged up on by irradiated wanderers which i couldn't do much damage to

by the way i didnt mean to come across as whiny. i get that i need to get good but im very confused why im having such a hard time when everything that ive watched (LPs and streams) looks much more forgiving at the start.

craft a bunch of throwing sticks and throw them at things
alternatively you can use nails/rocks/glass shards pretty much anything, throwing is insanely broken

these are tangerines g-d damn it

1. take night vision
2. only explore at night
3. run from everything
4. live forever

get a trait that lets you outrun shit early on, either parkour or quick or both
use the sprint button
run away proactively so you don't get surrounded and ganged up on

and/or just pick night vision and wait until nighttime to raid the city

how can you tell the difference between tangerines and oranges
or do you just have deep knowledge of the citrus lore behind the titty ninja game and know that there's no way that character would have oranges instead of tangerines

>irradiated wanderers
You spawned in a rare quest town murderhole for endgame-tier survivors, filled with enemies significantly stronger than usual.
Congrats I guess, it can take ingame years to find it.

You just follow the basic guide you find if you google it at all. Or one part, specifically. Make a knife spear. Now find zombies, turn on sprint. If they are two tiles away from you, press FF. If not, move until you are two tiles away. The main things you are likely to run into early that this will not absolutely destroy with no effort and the only way to fail being forgetting stamina a thing are:
Brutes/hulks (forget which is the bigger ones), which you should just run from.
The little pink HP lovecraft things I forget the name of that mimmick people, which you should just run from.
And moose, which you should run from directly into a horde, past the hoard then come back later and loot all the zombies from the entire town it will kill on its own.
Everything else you meet early can do literally nothing if you only attack from two tiles away. Or so little it doesn't even matter, like puke zombies and their minor annoyance puke.
Easy modo starting job is the diy cyborg or whatever its called, the one that starts with the toolset intergrated. You can just use it to cook, use it to clean water. Since the knife spear is broken for 99% of the games content and you have no reason to ever engage with the 1% its not and food and water are taken care of the start of the game, the next step is to delete the game

I just know

>Or one part, specifically. Make a knife spear. Now find zombies, turn on sprint. If they are two tiles away from you, press FF. If not, move until you are two tiles away.
Yes do like that if you have no self-respect.

I thought I would have to sacrifice melee when I went slimeperson. As it turns out, niten ichi ryu uses my insane 21 perception as a booster stat for damage and dodging. even though I have a pathetic 7 str I am still hitting well past the 100's with my katana.

If you had self-respect you wouldn't be playing a bad non-roguelike like cata and would delete it like I told you to.

Scaling in cata is retarted because weapon skills cap insanely high; far, far higher than you ever need to hit everything 100% of the time and 1 shot almost everything in the game.

yeah, I will say I never use spears as a personal conduct restriction. I absolutely hate them and think the reach should be removed. And I have never had an issue with getting a character up and running.

>even though I have a pathetic 7 str I am still hitting well past the 100's with my katana
Stats are overrated.
Int is the only one important.
I normally start with 4 to 6 str.
Difference in damage doesn't really do much. If enemy is tough enough that less damage will seriously endanger you, don't get into this fight until you get better weapon, armor and skills.
Main problem is carrying weight really.

mi-gos, you mean mi-gos, and yeah those guys have slain a number of my early survivors. the key with those guys is to treat them like triple A platinum threats from the first moment they show up in vision, because they are faster than normal zombies and can consistently wreck a newish survivor.

>tfw trying shotgun for first time
>mi-go runs at me
>BLAM
>mi-go tries to flee
>me go kill the mi-go
Then I chucked the shotgun away because finding ammo was a pain in the ass.

I think having 0 sight dispersion with a scoped rifle is not overrated but he also has 24 int so that is covered as well

Anything stats give you in terms of weapon handling, skills give you.
Objective stat ranking is:
INT - helps get skills, which are the most important thing in the game
STR - it actually does something even if said thing only matters if you already fucked up
PER - if I remember right, 9 per gives + 1 night vision; this is cheaper than the actual night vision perk
DEX - literally doesn't do anything at all once you get like 1 or 2 levels in a weapon. Even more worthless if you wep has + to hit.

I'm not saying they don't matter, just that it's perfectly viable to play a blind clumsy manlet.

Is there more to the irradiated wanderer town than a really big basement full of reskinned zombies? I seem to remember finding NPCs that didn't do anything in the vault once years ago, but my memory could be wrong.

Cleared it a year ago, there was one useless NPC and a book on weeb armor making, literally nothing else besides tons of electronic scrap and 9m ammo from zombies.

>Anything stats give you in terms of weapon handling, skills give you
not quite
The way weapon accuracy works in cata, you want to get dispersion to 0. Skills have their own modifier which gets lower and eventually reaches 0 as they increase, but never afaik goes negative. So if your dex or per is low enough to cause penalties to accuracy, you have a permanent penalty that you can never completely overcome

Then per beats str if you use guns. Dex is still the dedicated dump stat.

it's been a while since i've touched cata but last i remember, both dex and per must be 12+ to remove accuracy penalties

dex sucks anyways. you never need to be that accurate. if you are in a position to be primarily using ranged weps, you already beat the game

per needs to be way higher than 12. afair i was still getting penalties in the ~15 area before I ascended.

>wear ballistic glasses
>less accurate than taking them off
clearly something needs to be done with encumberance.

Thanks for all the advice anons. I'll pay more attention to the traits I choose and will look at the basic guide.

Oh, is that why there were craters on the overmap? Just my luck that I would spawn in an endgame area.

They're safety gear, not holo-targeters.

craters show up everywhere and are relatively featureless other than sometimes being irradiated and having irradiated wanderers spawn in them.

How the hell do I install the 2 DLC for tome4? Naturally I didn't pay for them but I feel like darkfaggot is getting one over on me.

i have shot a gun, and i have even sometimes worn ballistic glasses.

they have no effect on your accuracy because other than the anti-glare tint they may as well not be there. and they certainly dont lower accuracy in any case

>OP end game survivor
>medical mutant, monomolecular blade, dragon kungfu
>clearing a vault
>sonic resonator through a metal door
>dozens of irradiated wanderers
>very hot, overburdened and heavily encumbered so slow
>wanderers start moving next to me and disappearing sanicfast and I have no control over my character for at least a solid minute
>game hangs like it's gonna crash
>then this
There were more but I was too slow with the screenshot.

Attached: cybermutant kung fu master.png (1560x1075, 368K)

Scaling encumbrance smoothly from 0 seemed like a good idea at the time, but clearly it has some hiccups.

Attached: page 10.png (1280x738, 824K)

can people post their godly car they make in C:DDA? i remeber a few threads ago someone had a bus that had a top speed of 350+

Attached: 1519619459717.gif (320x180, 1.18M)

What game is this my dude?

it was back in 0.c stable but I think even stock sports cars had a top speed of like 700 mph.

that, my dear friend, is poschengband

>bus
>not an office chair
Pretty much everything about dda speeds is completely silly.

Attached: sanic goes to work.png (1122x727, 104K)

>diesel powered office chair has better 0 to 60 than any commercial auto

To be fair, this is completely realistic. The only impossible thing would be keeping the damn chair from vibrating itself into scrap, or avoiding every single tiny bump that would send you flying, or just keep it balanced enough not to fall over
The speed tho, that's completely fine

a "t" is 6 seconds right? if so the acceleration is pretty poor but the top speed is legendary.

"safe speed" doesn't mean how fast you can go without killing yourself
just how fast you can go without causing engine damage

>Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Attached: CDDA-4.jpg (580x820, 128K)

Well, there is some hope left for dcss at least
github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/d698a02385f1ebeb1120b6bcbd2c1418b7282010

I wish I was smart enough to understand CataclysmDDA physics.

>new title art
Imagine being so starved for content that new title art makes DCSS feel like it's still going somewhere. I don't have to imagine, feels bad man. I wish the devs still added features, the memes are true about removals. The game is dead.

development of crawl got hijacked by the inbred cult fanatic community and this is the result.

Does anyone play Brogue still? Been having a great time with it lately.

>inbred cult fanatic community
I'm not familiar with the crawl forums, elaborate? I looked at a discussion on there once and some guy said that everything is politics even Crawl and that it's good we are making trans characters. Commie rhetoric being spouted about crawl lol, it was pretty autistic.

I played Brogue recently and it seems to have that original spirit crawl had behind it. Crawl devs took the crawl design notes and made some really bizarre conclusions about them. Basically instead of creatively implementing new features in user friendly ways they remove EVERYTHING to make things more "user friendly".

Brogue is great, I just started playing it.

in general a lot of experienced veterans have the ear of developers, so people who are speedrunning or playing near optimally are making suggestions and the devs are listening.

e.g. there was a topic about making "interesting decisions" with ogres and melee, saying that +3 m&f and wielding a gsc is a no-brainer and every ogre should do it, and that is boring gameplay.

what they fail to take into account is that for some people they make a conduct decision at character selection, when they picked ogbe they literally did so just to hit stuff with a gsc. and such an "interesting decision" dilemma is probably totally irrelevant to 95% of the playerbase.

that is probably an overly specific example but you can see a lot of other stuff in the suggestions. like removing mummy and gozag because with optimal play it is a lot safer than many other races, in spite of the fact that it takes a very special kind of autist to try to play optimally with a mummy.

play gooncrawl

That's just regular crawl though.

play hellcrawl

every time i see a videogame character smoking i cry a little inside

i would seriously consider jailtime for a pack of cigarettes right now

how long has it been, user

that's the thing, just 6 days.

The hard part is almost over lad

you have my condolences
13th time 'trying to quit'
even when i was homeless i was picking up butts on the sidewalk

it wasn't that bad at first, I didn't have any immediate withdrawal, just a little extra nervous energy. but i hit a massive barrier yesterday and today.

You can do it man. Don't give up.

>DCSS gets ruined by goons
>the solution is to play the goon branch

I think it was mine that you're referring to. It's seen some upgrades since then.

Attached: comfortably seats 12.png (1920x1080, 70K)