/scg/edg/ Star Citizen Elite Dangerous General

Over bump limit for once Edition

ED info:
pastebin.com/zEufftYe

Elite Dangerous is currently in Chapter 1 of the Beyond expansion, patch number 3.0. It comes free with the Horizons expansion and aims to focus on refining core gameplay and new content.

Thargoids have crippled AEGIS-related starports in the Pleiades and are now appearing in human space. Be aware that while the Thargoid Interceptors are not normally hostile, Scout Marauders absolutely are.
Starport repair requirements have been reduced to 10% of their original values and may actually be feasible now.

>Frontier Official YT
youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments/videos

Patch 3.1 is currently in Evocati and will be moving to the PTU 'soon', 3.1 will be released at the end of March. Alpha 3.0.1 is released for all backers. You must download the new patcher from the RSI website.
install.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/RSI-Setup-1.0.0.exe

>Comprehensive look at the current state of Star Citizen
youtube.com/watch?v=IbhBNWU0Rxw

>Squadron 42 Vertical Slice
youtube.com/watch?v=qcHAfaQh3QE

>Jump Point Links & Content Summary
pastebin.com/Cd9wQ9YB

>FAQs
pastebin.com/Ni7xn83J

>Star Citizen Official YT
youtube.com/channel/UCTeLqJq1mXUX5WWoNXLmOIA

Previous Thread:

Attached: derpdeemer.gif (512x247, 1.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTraveller_1:_The_Zhodani_Conspiracy
youtube.com/watch?v=obivaJJO_dQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for elite is better than sc

space cars

Attached: Cyclone.jpg (3840x2160, 3.79M)

Cyclops best waifu

Attached: Elite_Dangerous_Unknown_Ship_HD.png (1964x1820, 3.84M)

>hit bump in road
>wheels fall off
nice

Attached: thumbsup.png (443x585, 437K)

closed canopy or at least windshield when?
I know you're in a space suit, still some protection from elements and/or possibly gunfire cetrainly wouldn't hurt

We need a webm of the Reclaimer landing on the desert moon, it look better.

Attached: Reclaimer landing1.webm (888x500, 2.87M)

Threadly reminder that the evocati are complicit in helping CIG fuck backers out of seeing SC development. There are 10 working days left in March. If they are going to have the patch public at the end of the month like they promised, there isn't enough time for the publicly available part to be anything but a release candidate. You have missed all the development between 3.0 and 3.1, just like how CIG fucked you out of actually seeing 3.0 develop.
inb4 no one is asking for download access, this is about the nda.

>those fragile looking wheels

why

>By CIG's own admission, one of the fastest pipeline vehicles they have ever developed.
>One of the most impractical nonsense vehicles no one would ever actually build that far in the future.
Maybe they should pump those brakes a little.

That's from SC, not ED.

I think user was pointing out how the small drive wheel can jump out of the larger driven wheel if you went over a bump because the power isn't transmitted through sealed gears for some reason.

I was just making a joke that the ED rover literally falls apart from hitting too many bumps.

>re-invents portal axles.
>portals hurt ground clearance instead of helping.
sasuga
They are both really fucking dumb. Why is there only the Scarab in ED?

Posted this last thread but I was the last post before archive so..

Just started playing a few days ago and purchased the Type 6 for HAULIN, one of the things that I'm torn between is doing hauls of 3-44 units of goods in boom transport missions for about 50k-300k.

Are there certain richer systems i should be looking for in order to get higher paid gigs?

Also, is it worth doing the large wing hauls of 300-1000 units without an actual wing of fellow haulers?

Pic unrelated

Attached: random sad dog.jpg (1216x668, 98K)

>Why is there only the scarab
Presumably: FTroop doesn't have the budget or manpower to do anything but focus on one or two ships every six months. There's nothing to actually do on planet surfaces so they've deemed that the scarab is enough until they release the next season pass in two years when they finally add landing on proper planets.

You would make more money in a small ship running boom delivery missions while working on your rank. Those missions don't require cargo space, although you could double up and haul cargo too. The trick is to get far enough out to the edge of the bubble that you get a loop of 2 or 3 systems. Sothis and Ceos are examples, but they are 300ly from almost anything.
>the next season pass in two years when they finally add landing on proper planets
No fucking way they make it that far. The backlash from a new paid dlc would kill ED off for good. Remember, we want the game to die so the community can take it over, it's our only long term hope.

Mostly I want to see some more utility vehicles, but a part of me wants to go all Wacky Races with the vehicles you see inside the stations. Tidy up the road layouts and the vehicle models a bit so they hold up under scrutiny, stick some cones and crash barriers out there to make a course, then let me roll the airport bus over when I try to swerve too hard around the yellow industrial truck thing.

Class F star with 1.12 solar masses and 1.16 radius.
I am so confused.

Attached: iceballcloserthanmercury.jpg (1481x618, 148K)

The scale of the stations is so fucked. I guess shrinking down to tiny ant size would be fun, but I'm convinced we aren't getting space legs simply because they can't figure out how to fix the scale issue in stations.

No fucking way they make it
FTroop will just sustain themselves by making random third party games and selling all those microtransactions. Just like they're doing now.
It would be nice to see a lot more vehicles of every type. There aren't enough corvette sized vehicles for example.

>see videos of people in combat
>enemies just stand in fron of them until dying, even hard AI
>be me
>try to engage
>enemies just go sanic fast past me one time after another
>can't follow them
why

Attached: 1504099710868.jpg (351x344, 17K)

Nah, new paid DLC won't destroy the game since they've waited plenty after dropping Horizons.

And I smashed into trying to land on it, losing my passenger and the last 3 days worth of work I've put into the game.

Look at the top right of the video you are watching and see if you see "Flight Assist Off". Then watch the video again checking for that and you will have your answer. Also keep your throttle in the blue or your ship handles like ass.

they have it on
I'm always in the blue unless I need to approach

Got any specific examples? Nothing I've noticed has looked like a particularly difficult thing to correct. The modularity of the interior decorations would make fixing it relatively straightforward.

>732K
>ice
what the fuck

I suppose since it's tidally locked, the far side will be even colder than it gets on Mercury, and the temperature may only report the maximum temperature which looks like it's in the right ballpark.

>Got any specific examples?
The entire station is wrong, it's just so wrong that it's hard to notice on its own. If you launched a SRV in the station, you would be a godzilla size giant terrorizing the entire station. The SRV is at least as tall as the control tower next to where you land. It's a kind of forced perspective to make the stations seem larger than they are by making everything appear far away and small.
git guuder then.

>The SRV is at least as tall as the control tower next to where you land
In which stations? The vulture is correctly scaled against them here, if the SRV is a problem (haven't checked it too closely), then it is an isolated one.

Attached: image.png (1440x810, 2.23M)

It looks correct on the landing pad, but the distant objects are too small for how far away they are. The further away from the pad, the worse it gets. Idr what station it is, but the one with the constant stream of yellow trucks was particularly bad. I deja vu'd into one and got wedged with the canopy against the side and watched these tiny little trucks disappear under the canopy. If you landed in one of the parks it would start looking funny.

I'm a massive sperg who actually dicks around with free camera specifically looking for that kind of shit; are you sure you aren't just forgetting how fucking enormous the ships themselves are? The yellow truck is a copypasted model, and in some facilities there's some parked up near certain pads, and they're mostly to scale.

There's a few problems, but they aren't especially serious. These days modelling programs and many game engines work in real units for easier consistency and to avoid accidental cockups in the calculations for stuff like physics, and when you create the primitive for a new [X] it's actually easier to start it with the correct rough scale than it is to decide on some arbitrary dimensions.

Maybe it's me, but I can tell a clear difference in approaching and landing in SC where I know the scaling stays consistent and ED where it looks different inside the station to outside, not to mention the rings in fully built stations. Have you gotten close to any of the outer rotating rings?

Yes, they also seemed correct after accounting for the DoF effects of the camera; I admit I haven't tested to see if the smaller rings are straight rescalings or not though.

You are aware that inside the docking bay, the ceiling is almost a kilometer above you, and this is actually the correct scaling for both the station and all the ships, which is why stuff might look so tiny? The visible cockpits pretty rigorously enforce the scaling on the ships themselves, and the Coriolis structures are all in the right ballpark, even the floor separation on the exterior.

I'm aware of the scale of the stations. I still think it isn't right given the ship traffic to population ratio. There is just no way some of these stations could sustain the populations they are supposed to have with a few ships just meandering aimlessly about.
A station with just a few million people would have type 10s full of food queued all the way out the no fire zone. I'm supposed to be in a system with billions of npcs and each station has less than a dozen ships at any time? Just general traffic should be on an entirely other scale, not mention logistic shipments which basically don't exist.

Attached: I must go.webm (1280x720, 2.88M)

Most of the rings are right. One of the devs got stressy about someone else who thought the rings were too small and got screencaps to prove his point using the shadows cast by a nearby ship.
Also, you used to be able to gently fudge small ships through the glass and fly around inside, and while it was low poly as fuck and the trees are painted on the floor, it was all to scale.

The average human needs around 1.6 kg of food per day. If we assume a station of five million fatasses gorging on two kilos, that's 10,000 tons of food. A Type-9 in full cargo mode can haul 788 tons, so you need less than thirteen of them to ship in food over the course of 24 hours.

Even if each of them took a full hour in dock and stayed resolutely out of the hangars like absolute cunts, they'd only take just over half the day if they could only use a single large pad, meaning we could cheerfully balloon that population up to tens of millions in practice and fitting in the shipments would be barely more than a rounding error on the traffic numbers.

Attached: the corn is also the right height, albeit as a monolithic block.jpg (1024x640, 228K)

okay I'm retarded. My limpets are cunting out because my materials are full, how do i either dump or sell the materials so I can have functional limpets again?

Material broker, on the galaxy map.

>food
You were only counting food and not any other trade items that would be normal for a station and some of these stations are hundreds of millions of people with no difference in traffic. Traffic is way underrepresented.
By your own calculations, food starts to be a problem past 10 million people, assuming you can fully unload and process the cargo from a loaded type 10 in one hour.

I guess a type 9 does haul more, I was presuming a type 10 would have more cargo.

There's a number of ways that could happen. The ice could be in state 7 or similar due to gravity, and/or the sublimating. Since liquid water can't exist in a vacuum, any water vapor must be getting blown away by the solar wind. That planet probably doesn't have much longer to live, geologically-speaking.
How old was the star? If very old you might be looking at a capture or the remnants of an originally different type of planet.

where specifically on the galaxy map?

The enemies aren't standing still. The players are orbiting them with fa-off or just good lateral thruster control.

Can you no longer delete some? I haven't tried since the last update.

I've been trying everything I can. I can't find a way.

You have to set a filter to search for them. You also have to have visited them before.
Other than that, in typical FDev fashion, you have to use external tools (Internetz) to actually fucking finding anything in this game.

Attached: Material.png (369x381, 61K)

Go find an engineer and use them?

If they go into the hangars first, that frees things up a lot. Also, an hour should be much, much longer than you need. We can unload a few hundred tons per day off a modern container ship, where you only have a couple of cranes active, using modern tech, at much higher gravity than anywhere on a Coriolis and with wind to be concerned about. The shipboard cargo racks are rail systems (as seen in wreckage), meaning it can spool all of the containers about the place simultaneously, and it's not parking that ton of weight on the end of a really long cable at 1g, so they can move at much, much higher speed safely. Conservatively assuming they still only move at modern freight-train speeds, and only one container through the hatch at a time, the ship could offload one ton in about two seconds, clearing out a T9 in just over 26 minutes. So, that single large pad could get up to around 20 million, again assuming the freighters are cunts who don't go into the hangar to free up space. Even if only one ever used a hangar at a time, which is still a silly restriction, that immediately puts us near 40 million fed on a single station with all food needing importing using just one of the available pads, and two ships every half hour.

The traffic isn't brilliantly represented, but the overhead needed to feed a station is a total non-issue.

>but the distant objects are too small for how far away they are
What are you on about? There are landable pads everywhere along the interior. Nothing distant from you could be scaled down or the other pads in the station away from you would be unlandable.
You can even freecam in VR, bring it down to eye level, and approach the control tower. You could probably fit three SRVs into the "garage" under it. The "bus" is around three meters tall.

It can scale up to a point, but take it to full scale and it starts to fall apart.
A station of 100 million people, which is still small for some of the multi billion population systems, you would need 5 large pads just for food turning over type 9s at full capacity. We are still only talking food and not an equivalent amount of biowaste and other trade items that have to be moved to just to administer the station, not counting the trade generated by the population. If we generously assume that food accounts for 75% of all trade (more likely 25%), there isn't a station in the game that could support 100 million people, just on landing pads. 50 million would be a stretch to account for all trade.

You know that the system population includes planets, right?
In most systems with even a few tens of millions of people, the majority are supposed to be living on planets we still can't land on yet.

This also assumes the stations have absolutely no reprocessing ability or partial food production ability.
The ship hull ton/cargo ton is not a mass measure though, its a volume one. (hence why a ton of gold and a ton of liquor take the same space even though the both affect your handling the same.) Given that food is mostly water, 2 kilos of nutrient paste probably goes a lot further than 2 kilos of reconstituted nutrient paste.

Its odd that it had no atmosphere at all though or that it lasted long enough for its star to progress as far as it has.

Some systems definitely have bigger payouts than others on hauling missions but I'm not really sure how to look for better ones. I'm still a fairly noob myself but my type-6 can carry a bit under 100 tons so I can usually grab a couple of those hauling missions and they add up nicely. Try to pick up ones going to the same system if possible and go back and forth. Try different systems to find places with better hauling payouts.

Wing hauls aren't worth it without a full wing each doing their own wing haul missions and then sharing them so that everyone profits. And even then it's only worth it with a ship that can actually do the haul in a couple trips.

On what said, imo data delivery doesn't necessarily make you more money for a new player.

Well, being pessimistic and assuming only 40mil supported per pad, ignoring that while there's only one animation, the hangar well continues down past the first layer, we need three pads to get in enough food. And the 40 million was based on assuming every single person on the station is quite significantly overeating. Also, we have thus far ignored that most of the food in elite is meant to come in dehydrated food cartridges that then get reassembled in food printers, and that this more than halves the mass of the food. Assuming all this, 100 million requires only three large pads out of a total of nine for food shipping. Biowaste is reduced by the mass that is assimilated by the eater, but can be comfortably ballparked at about two pads.

We are still making absurdly pessimistic assumptions and placing some clearly invalid constraints, but even so there's still four large pads left for economic trade after meeting the station's basic survival shipments and all 36 small and medium ones.

They actually disabled deleting materials since they no longer conflict with each other for storage. When 3.03 drops the limpets will ignore full mats automatically but for now you have to filter out mats you're full on from the contacts panel.

>know that all multicannons is probably the best build you can make.
>seriously just don't want to do all multicannons.

Sometimes I feel like there aren't enough kinds of weapons in this game, but then I just can't think of anything else that could be added.

Guess it's all beam lasers and normal cannons for me.

What is the best railgun boat? I want to destroy everything in one pass.

I'm not aware of any tools that allow you to search on system population so it's hard to drill down for specific examples, but suffice to say, there are some systems that should have traffic stacked out the slot. The game just seems empty as fuck for as much to be going on as they imply. There is no difference in traffic between a famine and boom system. You would assume that lockdown systems would be empty, but they have the same traffic as anywhere else.

Assuming you can actually find a broker of the type you want then you'd want to trade what you're full on into something you have little of.

Weapons as modules that can swap out with what's in the hardpoints could be an interesting option, sacrificing some reinforcement for greater loadout flexibility. Switching would obviously need to be slow compared to just retracting and deploying your hardpoints.

Normal cannons are underrated for wrecking powerplants.

A bunch of the weapon types being limited to a couple sizes really ruins variety imo. Why don't we have bigger missile pods for instance?

What systems are still good for rep grinding?

I know man. I mean, power play things, alien tech and such, sure. Those are purpose made items with, presumably, limited resources.
But why can't I realize my dream of a Type-10 Defender with four large missile pods and three packhounds for some real Macross missile barrage action?

Attached: latest[1].jpg (950x400, 139K)

None. You can't do it anymore. Fdev will delete your account if they catch you grinding. It was in the patch notes.

I mean in the case of missiles the could go even as lazy as the pods using the same missiles over all different sizes but the larger sizes simply having a larger magazine and rate of fire. And there not being huge railguns is a crime against humanity. Especially considering that real life prototype railguns are massive things that will probably end up being used on warships.

>The ship hull ton/cargo ton is not a mass measure though, its a volume one.
I do usually assume the containers are restricted to cap out at one ton; safe cargo handling generally requires this. If you just stuffed a container with billets of some dense metal, it would probably break the handling systems.

>The game just seems empty as fuck for as much to be going on as they imply
I do agree with you there, at least around things like earthlike worlds in high population systems. The overall space would still be fairly empty even in orbit, because Space Is Huge and Elite uses things at actual size, but if a planet has 20 billion people on it and interstellar trade is common, you'd expect there to be tens of stations.
Surface ports on all the worlds we can't land on yet might cover a good chunk of that, though.

Especially since biowaste has to be shipped, it makes sense to at least reclaim the water from it for reprocessing. Combined with a ton of food powder becoming closer to 4 tons after you add water easily and even shipping all the food in isn't that out of the question.

Attached: sorted.png (1082x775, 144K)

holy shit I'm retarded for not noticing that column.
31.6 billion people on 2 earth likes and 6 stations. G203-47 should be fucking madness as soon as you jump in.

Clearly they're all just stuck in different instances.

Could you imagine jumping in and there are hundreds of ships in SC in front of you?
What about thousands? Just solid lines of contacts mapping the routes to stations.

I wonder what a sensible amount would be. Assuming quantities wouldn't differ too much from today and scale with population (better, future crap, not more crap per person), we currently do about ten billion tons of shipped goods for 7.5 billion people per year, so about 20 million tons per day. A system with ten billion people might need on the order of a thousand Type 9 cargo flights per day to support that, though I suppose a big chunk would be lost to shipments restricted to the surface of a planet with an earthlike population level that I'm currently ignoring. Currently, you're probably only getting on the order of hundreds over a 24 hour period, so you'd want ten times as many ships, and maybe double the number of ports around really densely populated worlds if we assume there's meant to be a bunch of big surface ports we can't use until atmospheres and procedural cities are a thing.

I think the real problem is the lack of in system haulers/transports. That example system can produce everything it needs except high tech and needs to ship in its industrial feedstock. How much more capacity can get you get out of a Type-9 sized vessel without FSD, hardpoint setups, module bays etc.
It wouldn't really make sense to restrict canisters by mass (especially when you want maximum throughput) given most cargo handling should be done in reduced gravity and countering inertia is relatively easy to do compared to getting more shipments from another ship with its associated shipbuilding costs, operational expenses, etc.

On that topic, we clearly must be working with thousand units of credits or something. Given that a ton of relatively luxurious animal meat is 1336 credits on average, compared to real life where a mass ton of dead cows would cost 3000 USD or so, much more if the meat was just shipped as meat cuts. Likewise, jump capable craft are way too cheap for credits to be the day to day unit of commerce.

Hopefully the next generation of space games after SC and ED will be able to do the proper background simulation to scale to enormous systems like that and really make you feel like a tiny cog in a massive machine. SC will never hit it because they will never get past all the minutiae that's dragging the game down now like endless ground vehicles in a space game and the focus on ground property instead of exploration.

Hasn't Elite previously, like before this game, had much bigger transport ships? I feel like most of the transporting would be done on ships capable of a couple thousand tons of cargo but ED just doesn't have NPC ships like that yet.

Traveller vidya fucking never.

You folks are forgetting megaships and other shit that exists in-universe but isn't in the game yet, like the Panther.

There are a bunch of details missing that would really drive home the differences in system economies and states. There's no story to speak of, so fdev has to tell a story with the bgs and how much traffic you encounter would tell most of that story, without having to type it out in boring press releases. Just another missed opportunity the community will hopefully fix when the game dies.
>Traveller vidya
I don't get the reference.

There's technologies like SpatialOS coming up that should enable that sort of mass scale simulation. It will basically make any level of detail in simulation possible depending on how deep you wanna go as the dev.

>It wouldn't really make sense to restrict canisters by mass (especially when you want maximum throughput) given most cargo handling should be done in reduced gravity and countering inertia is relatively easy to do compared to getting more shipments from another ship with its associated shipbuilding costs, operational expenses, etc.
I thought that at first, but these canisters are the same ones they take down to planets, so they need to work at high gravity as well.

Yes. The Panther Clipper was massive, 2100 tons of cargo in the old games. There's the megaships popped in the margins in ED, but they're a little bit too rare around high population systems. While there should always be a big gulf between even the biggest regular ships/capital vessels and the megaships, it's currently a bit too much and things like the panther would fill it.

I was getting there, jeez user, impatient much?

>the community will hopefully fix when the game dies.
>implying the game won't just die and be unplayable because nobody can host a server for it

>the community will hopefully fix when the game dies
I'm amused you still hold out hope they'll release the source code when they've broken every other promise they've made on this sort of scale.

I don't think the server hosting will be the problem. People would get that running on EC2 in no time and you would have paid priority and whatever player count you could afford. That still doesn't solve the instancing problem, but the instances could be much bigger. People would definitely pay if PP was for keeps and players ran the major factions with the top factions getting to participate in PP directly, but also be subject to being overthrown.
The only other option at that point is to accept that ED will never be finished and is doomed at this point. I choose to be more optimistic.

In the last couple of weeks there's been some pretty good discussion of relatively simple changes (like, mostly in event scripting and some extra text lines) that would make wars and gold rushes have a fuckton of personality, with the latter being an adaptation of the current money exploit rushes into a legit mechanic, though that would probably be contingent on them finally locking down board flipping.

>that would probably be contingent on them finally locking down board flipping.
This is so fucking easy. Make solo a separate game with separate experience. Boom, no more board flipping. They could even use the exact same board at that point and it wouldn't matter because dads couldn't cheat at the CGs anymore.

Old ass TTRPG which has many versions.

Attached: traveller.png (2550x3300, 929K)

Holy shit. It's a whole series of books. I'll be looking into that. I want to play Solar Jetman with space combat like FTL, but in a modern space game engine populated with other players and everything is realistic. I'm entitled to these things and hold this opinion unironically.

1990 actually.
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTraveller_1:_The_Zhodani_Conspiracy

Megatraveller was version 3 of uh, 5 or 6. Traveller was 1977. The entire background simulation thing reminds me of what the guy running the game in it has the option of doing.

Oh wait, I misread that response. Good to know it actually has vidya.

Attached: reclaimer skid.webm (602x338, 1.55M)

>endless ground vehicles
there's what, three?

Crysis worlds when?

how long till Putin makes his American puppets hand over "star engine" and chris commits sodoku tied to a chair

So is hull completely fucking worthless in combat or am I just playing like shit. Shields seem to be infinitely more effective, especially since the AI will regularly knock out your drive/powerplant/guns even with the military A hull.

If you're not using bi-weaves then you are playing them wrong.
If you are maybe you're just bad at the game.

What ship are you in and how many module reinforcement packages are you using?

Watch this video it explains all about armor tanking and yes I know he looks like la creatura.

youtube.com/watch?v=obivaJJO_dQ

Should I upgrade to ASP explorer from a diamondback explorer, I mostly do exploring but I want to fight aliums as well

2 bikes, 4(?) wheeled vehicles, a tank. Who know what the fuck else they haven't announced.