youtube.com/watch?v=n2zotdaUbto
youtube.com/watch?v=dW37AGZ0Pj0
youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY
ravelry.com/patterns/library/wwi-balaclavas
youtu.be/6KHoVBK2EVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the good guys

serbia

The supposed "allied powers" aka the allies of Satan.

There were no clear cut villains. The Germans invaded a neutral Belgium but the others were all clamouring for war anyway.

The monarchies

The bad guys were the leaders who send to their deaths millions of people

The Entente, definitely
Millions of men dying to defend the fucking serbs, well done lads

At least they stopped Germany from dominating the continent :^)

Germany. Easily.

>had random belgians shot because they thought literally every Belgian was a partisan in waiting
>blew up random French castles because "fuck you frogs"

Germans. Those fucks literally only wanted war for the sake of war and conquest. What happened with the damn Serbs was just an excuse.

It's childish to think there is such thing as good or bad in a war.There are only good soldiers and bad soldiers.

Truly the last of the old wars.

youtube.com/watch?v=n2zotdaUbto
16:30

Austria-Hungary and Italy

Fucking dalmatians

here let me fix that for you

>Austria-Hungary and Turkey

Very spefically the Prussians.

The French, as evidenced what they used their victory for: fucking up Europe for the next few decades (they were the stupid kind of evil).

Nice thread to illustrate how propaganda fromm a century ago still works.
>We are the good!

The eternal Belgian

No one cared about Serbs, the war was all about imperial hubris.

While obviously missing some nuance and other important actors (plus who the fuck cares about Australia?), I've long felt the WW1 as bar fight analogy is on the right path. They were all puffed-up braggarts itching to throw a swing.

not to mention that given they refused to pay their dues post-war, they actually made a profit of the belgian occupation

but versailles was to harsh right?

The semites

>but versailles was to harsh right?
Clearly, considering what it led to.

>inb4 he pinches nipples and screeches about how germany needed to be punished HARDER
Unfeasible outside of Frog masturbatory fantasies.

the invasion of belgium was unforgivable

>muh evil invasion
How is Schlieffen plan hurting them real Nigga just open your roads, hahah MOVE like get out the way. Let them past your forts!

Germanic culture on the West side of the Rhine has this strange Stockholm syndrome with France.

At least we can rest easily knowing that the Rhine will never, ever be the Franco-German border :^)

It wasn't harsh enough.

Predictable meme.

Why does this picture only show minority agitation in Austria-Hungary?

There are no "good guys" or "bad guys" in any war.

>bad guys
>in history

There are no bad guys, only conflicting national interests.

Did the NYE ceasefire actually happen? I thought I read it was a meme

Germans as always.

youtube.com/watch?v=dW37AGZ0Pj0

the jews

>yfw Russia actually mobilised first

The Triple Entente, who used Princip and his conspirators as catalysts for the war, knowing that assassinating Ferdinand would lead to war. This gave them a reason to open hostilities with Germany, and send the nation into the shitter after the war ended, because they were afraid of another Bismarck.

preach the controversy!

>the Rhine will never, ever be the Franco-German border
But it literally is.

uh-huh.
youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Germans, obv.

Sort of, but it's been very exaggerated in scale. It was very early in the war, before anything too brutal happened, and before propaganda went into turbo mode to prevent such fraternizing. Basically, you professional, old-school officers with a sense of 'noble' soldiering and cameraderie on both sides agreeing (at first) to allow retrieval and burial of the dead. Some did exchange gifts, sing carols and play football. Some also continued fighting and shooting and blowing each other up.

No-one. Lenin was a dickhead. Many other rulers also were. The systems that lead to absolutism and imperialism were the real bad guys.

g*rmans

I wonder what the world would have looked like had the propaganda failed and the entire front just collapsed on both sides due to mass desertion

Of course they did you idiot, they were obligated by treaty to support Serbia and Austria-Hungary was about to kick their shit in deserved or no.

*until Germans get involved.

Low test memetics.

If the Second Reich was better behaved in wartime conduct, I'd be tempted to declare the entente.

If it weren't shit like Belgium and the Lusitania and Germany would've had my full support.

>ywn have a yuletide beer with your Scot and Prussian bros
Why fucking live

germans were such barbarians in their occupied territories they lose all goodwill anyone could have had for them

I mean they were literally ISIS tier

Exactly. If they were more honorable the entente would be almost inexcusable.

>Who were the "bad guys" in World War 1?

The usual suspects.

G*rms

Hmmm

The men sending others to die pointless deaths

WW1 would have been a quick Austro-German shitstomp of Russia had the Gaul not lured the Tsar into the entente. The eternal Gaul does it again.

>a "neutral" Belgium
FTFY

Just like Germany was obligated to support Austria-Hungary.

Nicholas II, also Italy.

You mean multiple parties share responsibility for the outbreak of WW1 and there weren't actually any 'bad guys'?

Wilhelm II, who refused to listen to Von Bismarck who knew his shit.
The German generals who decided to pass through Belgium and involve England.
The Austro-Hungars who couldn't deal with their Serb problem in the first place.
The idiot Serbs who decided to shot the only person who was on their side anyway.

It happened in 1914 on a couple areas of the Western front. The next year a few tried it again and ended up getting killed.

If you want a good movie on it to watch on Christmas there's a movie called Joyeux Noel that's top notch.

add alaric and karl marx to this picture

What is the guy on the far right wearing on his head? It's like a sock for your neck or something, I like it.

Serbs. They should just accept the fucking ultimatum, but no! Must ruin the Europe because they can't accept responsibility for being murder bastards.

A WWI Balaclava? ravelry.com/patterns/library/wwi-balaclavas

thank you

Serbia accepted the ultimatum.

still mostly Germany, they were itching for a war since the god damn Moroccan Crisis a decade earlier, not to mention Germany declared war on everyone first

Belgium.

No problem, though that's the Red Cross pattern and no the original English pattern, no idea where you could find that one tho.

They only pretended to, actually they wanted war. This is why they ignored most important chapters that would actually punish terrorists.

Them and those fucking out of control Luxembourgers too.

Japan, they were here only to steal colonies.

I'm Austrian and I'm glad you Americans are defending us so much for little incentive, idk what we ever did for you

Objectively Austria

>C-calm down it's only a little war in the Balkans, guys!!

They were playing with fire and they knew it.

You started the Napoleonic Wars which made Napoleon sell the Louisiana territory to the US for dollars

The leaders of both sides were bad and the people of both sides were probably somewhat good. Except Italians, they're shitty cunts.

Brest-Livosk invalidates any and all complaints of the Boche. Fuckers took their own patsies they helped get into power in Russia and gave them a wasteland and called it peace. Reduce Russia to pre peter the great borders, 1/3rd of arable land 1/3rd of populace 3/4ths of coal and steel production 1/4th of railways 6 billion marks debt to Germany.

>We're going to demilitarize the rhineland, you lose Danzig and we occupy the ruhr until you pay us for your rape and plunder

>MEIN GOTT THIS IS A HOLOCAUST

>We're going to demilitarize the rhineland, you lose Danzig and we occupy the ruhr until you pay us for your rape and plunder

You couldn't even enforce this IRL, but your solution is to somehow have enforced a meme-tier Theodore Kaufman genocide instead?

The Germans treated fellow Europeans like those Europeans treated negroes and Musulamans and yellow monkeys. And then was remarkably shocked that European sentiments turned against someone who treated them that way. Austro-Hungarians inherited a mess of having to rule ethnic minorities like imperial subjects, the Prussians wanted to rule europeans like that and saw no problem with the anachronistic Junker mentality.

I'm noting how the Germans acted with such shock and horror at terms infinitely more lenient than the draconian, downright brutal terms they offered the Russians. Which were also offered after initially promising no giving up land was necessary, and was offered as the Germans continued to march eastward and try and gobble up as much territory as they could. This wasn't Morgenthau's revenge plan, this was very reasonable and downright generous policies of the victor to the defeated compared to what the victorious German offered the defeated Russian.

But the Germans clung to the self-pitying mythos of the stabbed in the back explanation and so everyone else was at fault besides them.

And what are you talking about not enforcing it IRL? They did demilitarize the rhineland, they did take Danzig away, they did occupy the Ruhr temporarily before the Germans caught more flies with honey by passive resistance instead of chimping out.

if the Boche had won we'd have seen something as severe as Brest-Livosk with the Entente.

youtu.be/6KHoVBK2EVE
>muh chocolate shilling

(((Them)))

>before the Germans caught more flies with honey by passive resistance instead of chimping out
That's a funny way of saying "threatening another war".

>they were itching for a war since the god damn Moroccan Crisis a decade earlier
If Russia and France were not itching for war, why would they risk a major European conflict over some nonsense happening at the Balkans? The point remains: Russia and France were just as willing to go to war as Germany and they perfectly knew what they were getting themselves into.

>not to mention Germany declared war on everyone first
"He hit me first" is not a valid argument, you should have learned that in Kindergarten. Germany didn't declare war out of random but it happened within a historical context. And Russia mobilising their army and France not declaring themselves neutral is part of that context.

>The Germans treated fellow Europeans like those Europeans treated negroes and Musulamans and yellow monkeys.
Good, about time someone taught them a lesson.

"I think a curse should rest on me — because I love this war. I know it's smashing and shattering the lives of thousands every moment — and yet — I can't help it — I enjoy every second of it." -WINSTON CHURCHILL, 1916

Britain is almost always the villain.

Bulgarians were the true bad guys.

>arm up despite disarmament clauses
>declare neutrality, then break it
>backstab serbia
>betray slavic cause
>ally with turks
>occupy neutral greek lands
>invade neutral romania when they only declared war on hungary
>use artillery and bombs on their own people in macedonia
>get half of the male population to the front, ruining economy
>do destructive bayonet charges that ruined both their army and the allied seven nation armies sent against them
>still try to get a good deal after the war

>he said that while ordering suicidal charges of australians against machine guns in turkey

The Lusitania WAS carrying military gear and ammunition though, and openly declared that it was. By official rules of the time, it was arguably a fair target. Obviously a cold-hearted dick move, but the British were probably betting on the fact the Germans were unlikely to fire on a passenger ship.

fun fact: my great-grandmother immigrated TO Canada aboard it on one of its earlier trips, circa 1911.

the better question is, who were the good guys?

face it, if any continent deserved to burn in 1914 it was Europe

Neutral countries were good guys.

By declaring war on France and invading Belgium?

Fledgling (mostly united) Germany wanted its place in the European sun. Other European powers laughed and pointed and did not want to share. This created a bitter superiority complex.

Not saying it was right, but it's not as if other European powers

Prussians were also only one faction (the most militaristic one) in united Germany. Within the rest of the country, many also despised them.

Nicholas II was a fucking idiot for joining the war at all. Got what was coming to him

Germany were mildly aggressive. Part of it was the over-dependence on the Schlieffen Plan which caused war with France and the British Empire

From the Battle of the Marne onwards they were fucked, the British Empire had astonishing resources available to them

Honestly, everyone were self-destructive and suicidal in WW1.

But apparently everyone but Germany learned from it.