Explain the Trinity to me, Veeky Forums

Explain the Trinity to me, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KQLfgaUoQCw
cosmology.carnegiescience.edu/timeline/1610/turtles-all-the-way-down
oyc.yale.edu/transcript/948/rlst-145
youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU
youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p2.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is there anything in the Old Testament at all that supports the trinity?

It's never explained by the people who say they believe it. How can anyone else possibly explain it?

The fact that God refers to Himself as "us" in Genesis and that Elohim is a plural noun.

it´s like water, God can be liquid, solid or vapor

Nice try but that is actually known as the "modalist" heresy.

I can explan it using Mystic Christianity(Perrenial Philosophy variety)

The Father is the Godhead. The Godhead is the totality of existence. Everything is God.

The Son is a human who is aware of his Divinity

The Holy Spirit, is a subjective replication (literal translation, Divine Mind), of the Godhead's mind in the Son.

Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three forms that God can take. When he rules over Heaven and watches over the earth, listening to prayers he is the Father. When he is performing miracles on earth, appearing to people in their dreams etc. he's the Holy Spirit. When he's Jesus, he's the son. The trinity is just the form that he takes. The whole thing is mainly there to emphasize the role of God in the world and how he takes on different, often mysterious roles

Three distinct persons "hypostases", united in the substance "ousia" which is called Divinity.

Its a divine mystery that can only be accepted by revelation and faith and not logic and reason.

Thats modalist heresy mate

Well the Idea does "solve" the whole "How can God be Omnipotent, Omniscient and allow evil?" argument that Fedora's employ.
Not saying I agree with a trinity. Its basically polytheism and it feels wrong to call Hindus polytheistic if Christians believe in this separated God as well.

You realize that this argument caused the biggest schism in Christianity?

youtube.com/watch?v=KQLfgaUoQCw

I don't think God is benevolent. I think he allows the suffering and plight of humans.

I think God's nature is one of benevolence, and he corrupts his own nature to allow human's with free will and the universe to exist. This corruption must be atoned for, which he does in the person of Jesus Christ.

Yes. From Genesis 1, aside from the Elohim reference (a plural word used in the singular sense), you see the Spirit hovering over the face of the deep.

And from Corinthians, we know that Jesus created everything, and without Jesus, nothing was created.

So when Elohim spoke, it was Jesus speaking.

Here's the model I use. Imagine Flatland. You're a 2D character trying to figure out what a cube is. I have told you that I have a 6 sided cube with different colored sides, but all you can see are six different squares. You do not have sufficient dimensions to yourself to see that the six different colored squares are really just one cube.

So you have to take my word for it, because I see the entire cube, and I know you can only see in 2D.

Not really. It separated the wheat from the chaff.

Do you think it's possible that the suffering and plight have reasons behind them? That they might cause some benefit that outweighs their cost?

In a universe where anything is possible, is that possible?

ALMSIVI

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I believe that as well.

This mentality is why Christians will never know more than very momentary peace.

>Christians will never know more than very momentary peace.
Romans 5:1

Yes I do have metaphysical theories to those quandaries.

Firstly, I think that the reason is virtue. A human being who chooses to do good under his own volition(given the freedom to disobey), is qualitatively superior to the goodness of someone who is forced to do good.

I also think another form of virtue is work ethic. Human beings live in a system where they have to work to survive and are more virtuous than immortal angels.

>not funposting about tes lore

I'm the first poster.
This notion of Divine Sacrifice purifying the act of creation exists in Hinduism. It is known as the Purusha Myth.

That's okay. We'll know peace when we go home.

This is what Paul had to say in Romans 5

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

god = all
The father =/= The son/but = god

Kek.

The act of creation had no need to be purified. God declared everything in creation good on Day Six, and rested on Day Seven.

God is actually a third of God.

God is the computer that runs the universe and the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are programs that the computer likes to run to fuck with us.

What does that make the person/people that made the computer or run it?

They would be God's God.

So God is the computer and the trinity is the OS?
I'm so confused.

What about their universe? Is it simulations all the way up?
cosmology.carnegiescience.edu/timeline/1610/turtles-all-the-way-down

I can ascribe to this.

>"God is three persons rather than one but each of them is equally God"
Cease this drivel at once.

No. God is the computer, the universe is the OS.
The Trinity are programs that the computer runs to fuck around with us, the lines of code.

Yup.
There probably is a computer that began it all somehow, but who cares? That's not our God. That's God's God's God's (etc) God.

>Veeky Forums - /HeretIcS/

>Don't pray to me or my God or my God's God or my God's God's God ever again.

That's because early incarnations of Yahweh involved him being a part of a Canaanite pantheon, specifically as the southern warrior god.

God separated out his Word and his Love into independent components. The Word was put into a single human in place of a soul, whereas the Love was placed into every single human. What remains in the Father is Justice.

Read the Meshe Stele so you can distinguish between YHWH, the God of the Jews, and Chemosh, the god of the canaanites, a demon that you apparently worship.

>The eternal God had a beginning! As a demon!

Never disappoint, Veeky Forums.

Is that Warhammer?

'cause it ain't God.

blasphemy

Lol wait until you guys find out Jacob really did sacrifice Isaac

> Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to ... You know that we will rule angels, not to mention things in this life, don't you?

You mean Abraham?

Yeah mixed up one kike name with another
But he seriously did
Child sacrifice was a feature of early Near East religions
Notice how all the adventures of Isaac sound like the adventures of Abraham. Isaac isn't even treated as a real person really in the scripture.

Hmm that doesn't make much sense.

Isaac had kids after that event, and those kids had kids, and eventually Jesus was born.

So, no. Your anti-semetism is going to cost you everything you have.

And one of the things you have available to you is taking their inheritance for yourself.

Humans on their own are not more virtuous than the angels who kept their first estate.

And it's debatable if humans are more evil than the fallen angels, or less.

We're two entirely different kinds of beings; the judge angels verse was intended to discourage believers from suing each other in secular courts.

Yeah? So the sum of his life was just
>got pranked by my dad
>gon have me some kids
>ones gonna be a fucking goon
>the other is gonna be a conniving rat
And that's all the Scripture says about Isaac, am I correct?

It doesn't paint a very rosy picture about him, no. After he consented to be killed, and then spared, not much is said about him other than his marriage to his cousin. That he favored Esau over Jacob is also ponderous, considering the blessing Jacob received at his birth.

Which is yet another reason the bible is the greatest book of all time. It tells the unvarnished truth.

Spooks and cognitive dissonance to justify having all of the perks of polytheism while still calling it monotheism.

blasphemy

One God manifesting himself as three persons in order that we might get to know him a little better.

From Above
From Beside
From Within

>person = being

Modern scholarship believes that in later periods, the Hebrews started to shun child sacrifice and decide that this didn't reflect well on them at all so they revised the narrative so that Isaac is spared. Of course they couldn't be fucking bothered to at least make up some new content. Easier to copy and paste.

Isaac was in his early 30's when the incident occurred, and did not have children until much later.

He was obviously not sacrificed.

The entire event was obviously a presaging of another descendant of Abraham trudging up the very same mountain, also carrying wood on his back, going to his death at the request of the father, consenting, and then NOT being spared at the last moment.

Take the bible as God's own truth. It will save you a lot of time and grief.

>Modern scholarship

Or you know, you can see it as an evolving set of ideas that adapts to its surroundings and has successfully transplanted itself in almost every country in the world because it gives the poor and disenfranchised some measure of hope?
No religion remains static for very long. If it did, no one would relate to it and it would die out.

>you can see it as an evolving set of ideas
But then you'd be wrong

>manifesting

aka polytheism, manifestation isn't something Christianity invented, Hinduism and Shintoism are pros at it, among others

The difference is that they call these manifestations "gods" while Christians are like "NUH UH THEY'RE THE SAME GOD". I guess Hinduism is actually monotheistic because Brahman.

>that we might get to know him a little better

aka personal gods aka polytheism

Like I said, cognitive dissonance.

Bible hasn't changed for 3500 years.

>person = being
'no'

>Although child sacrifice was adamantly condemned in various later layers of the Bible, there's plenty of evidence that it was probably practiced in different quarters throughout the period of the monarchy.
oyc.yale.edu/transcript/948/rlst-145

Not an argument.

It's not cognitive dissonance, and the eastern religions who think Jesus was just an avatar are as wrong about him as you are.

Hinduism is literally anything.

Nice bait

>Modern "scholarship"

>It's not cognitive dissonance

Whatever you say buddy. If all you can say is "NUH UH" then there's really nothing more to say. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, has the DNA of a duck, can breed with another duck to make more ducks, but the duck doesn't believe it's a duck, it's still a fucking duck.

Not an argument
You're just assuming Unitarianism to prove Unitarianism. You can't even explain the existence of mathematics without the Triune God

???

Well the person who said that is more qualified than some Midwestern or Pennsylvanian hillbilly posting from his family computer while preparing a nice hit of meth before they move on to molest their cousin who will grow up to be a stripper named Kandi.

Not an argument.

euphoric

I phrased it awkwardly. I'll try again.

From 3500 years ago to 1900 years ago, when the bible was written and faithfully copied, it has not changed.

I already explained the trinity above.

That you lack the necessary spiritual discernment to understand the explanation is not my concern. There is no "Christianity for Dummies".

Friend, your local tabernacle has all the answers you need! The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints is more than happy to answer all of your questions! :)

>t. Hasn't read the CES letter.

Blasphemous polytheist heretics

youtube.com/watch?v=0a3eJC3qAFU
youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE

Well I'm sorry you feel that way! I wish I could help out. Maybe you should go to your local tabernacle and join us in worship! We play a great game of basketball after service.

For those who don't believe in the trinity, why, then, on the cross, did Jesus look up and ask, "Father, why have you forsaken me?"

For those that do believe in the trinity, can you also explain to me why Jesus said this? It seems odd to me either way, I'm just interested in the answers.

Or you could spend your time wisely and google the CES letter, and read it.

Then you can read the opposition, and the rebuttal.

If at the end of it you're not firmly convinced that the scoundrel you call a prophet was not a liar, plagiarist, bigamist and con man, then you're well and truly lost.

God cannot abide sin. God cannot look upon sin.

Jesus, who knew no sin, became sin. He took all of our sin onto himself. Yours, mine, Hitler's, everyone's. He literally became sin.

At that moment, the Holy Spirit fled and the Father turned his back. The sun went dark and the earth quaked. The veil of the temple rent from top to bottom, and the centurion overlooking the crucifixion declared that they had indeed just crucified the son of God.

For those hours Jesus hung on the cross enduring the wrath of God, he was out of communication with the Spirit and the Father. That's why he said MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY DO YOU FORSAKE ME.

And then, when it is finished, again with Father: Father, into thine hands do I commit my Spirit. And on the third day, Jesus rose from the dead and was elevated to the right hand of God the Father, and now has all authority over everything, and position above all things, but for the Father.

The war is over.

Love won.

"The Father is that which the Son is, the Son that which the Father is, the Father and the Son that which the Holy Spirit is, i.e. by nature one God."

The Holy Trinity is consubstantial; three persons in one God.

"He is not the Father who is the Son, nor is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the Father or the Son."

The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are not modes of divinity; they are distinct persons; this is shown in their origins relative to each other.

"In the relational names of the persons the Father is related to the Son, the Son to the Father, and the Holy Spirit to both. While they are called three persons in view of their relations, we believe in one nature or substance."

The divinity is not equally divided three separate ways. Rather, all three are all of one substance (one God). Distinction between these persons rests upon their relationships with each other.

"The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central mystery of Christian faith and life. It is the mystery of God in himself. It is therefore the source of all the other mysteries of faith, the light that enlightens them. It is the most fundamental and essential teaching in the "hierarchy of the truths of faith"."

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p2.htm

>three persons in one God

>papists confirmed polytheists

Also I forgot to make this clear: it is a mystery. It is the mystery of divinity, the most unknowable and most incomprehensible for the mere mortal mind.

They are all one God. They are not aspects, they are not modes of divinity. There is only one divinity.

Honestly, I don't want to argue about this stuff that we've been arguing over since the Council of Nicea. You believe what you want to believe, heretic.

My friend, I have a faith as strong and as deep-rooted as Daniel in the lion's den. I have heard all the arguments the atheist and the anti-Mormon establishment has to offer, and my faith will not be shaken now. I know in my heart that the words of our prophet Joseph Smith are true and healing. I earnestly wish for all the people of the Earth to hear his testimony and be saved. I only ask you give us a chance.

how did you come to be a mormon?
born into it?

>They

Yes, He is one God.

You might want to meet him, soon.

Sixth generation Mormon. My forefathers moved to Utah in 1846 with Joseph Smith. We have deep roots here.

>t Refuses to read the CES Letter.

Dude, you're basically in Islam for Whitey.

Jesus and Lucifer are not both created beings God made. There was no competition to see which one had the better plan of salvation.

Marrying 40 women, some teenagers, and some still married to your followers, makes you a douchebag, not a truthteller.

>Meadow Massacre

kek

"roots"

what do you think of Veeky Forums? why do you come here?

are you a missionary?

Of course he is. Probably being sodomized right now.

>Captcha: Serve Jesus Christ The Risen Savior

I would ask you not to make that comparison and not to say such things about whoever you are referring to.

That was an unfortunate misunderstanding. Up until then, we were persecuted for our beliefs and even killed for our convictions. I had ancestors who participated in that battle.

I have heard that this is something of a chatroom and thought this was a good way to talk to people. I attempted to post on your politics board but I was ridiculed and the filthiest language was directed towards me and my community. I don't think I will go there again.

No, my friend. I finished my missionary duties four years ago! I ended up in New York and Philadelphia.