How did you find your religion, Veeky Forums?

How did you find your religion, Veeky Forums?

Don't have one, don't need one. I delight in human achievement.

All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
John 6:37

*tips fedora*

Doesn't look like anything to me.

*tips back.*

Camo hat tho. I'm a redneck agnostic.

>find your religion
Kek.

euphoric

Had it, lost it, and it all just went to shit

You just gonna sit in this thread and spout memes at anyone who doesn't identify with a particular religion?

time to get saved user

ALL THE ZOROASTRIANS IN THE HOUSE SAY YO

Took a college course on Eastern Religion. Realized the accepted mode of the Universe is an illogical, faith based crock of shit.

Then made an illogical, Kierkegaard style leap of faith into Catholicism.

It was rubbish so I left it.

what was it?

A trip.

any religion

I never really had one. I guess I am atheist, but more from a lack of caring than any pronounced belief or disbelief.

I've seen this before but...

I started out as an atheist. My Dad is an agnostic doctor and Mother is a casual Christian. I didn't believe in any religion because they all contained logical errors and an Omniscient Deity wouldn't make mistakes. I came to believe in the technological singularity and hoped that it would save my life(with immortality).

However, I began to notice the order and harmony of the universe. The laws of nature, the existence of awareness, the strange beauty of the human form, etc... I felt that this was all too coincidental to be a mere accident.

So under this new revelation I returned to religion. After much analysis, I found mysticism appealing to me, and also found that if you remove the Gospel from the old testament it doesn't contain errors.

So in the end I subscribe to Mystical Christianity.

>born a catholicfag
>converted to Mormonism at 5 yrs old
>decided fuck it
>got really bored with it
>fuck it going agnostic

how is it christianity if you only have the old testament

Oops, remove old testament from the Gospel.

I mean the NT does have some fairly minors errors as far as I remember but it's mostly geographical or historical

You could also take the varying stories as contradictions though I personally believe they focused different things, but biblical inerrancy isn't a concept I find very important

What about the part of the gospel were Jesus said not one letter of the old laws shall change until earth and heaven are both gone?

Or the part of the gospel where Jesus said that the Scripture cannot be broken?

Or the part of the gospel where Jesus said that the old testament was the indestructible word of God?

When I was about 5 years old I watched a PBS documentary about the greek gods. Basically just a very limited look at the stories associated with the old pantheon.

Confused, I asked my dad why they didn't talk about Jesus. He told me that our religion was Christianity but that it didn't exist during the time of the Greeks.

This struck me as very strange. For most of human history we didn't have Christianity or Judaism, people just believed a whole bunch of weird shit in order to explain the world around them. We consider all of that bullshit now, though.

Even as I child, I knew something was up, I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Eventually I grew out of religiosity and fairy tales, as we all should.

adding to this the gospels try to support Jesus's position as the Messiah by claiming old testament prophecies were fulfilled. even the concept of a Messiah comes from the old testament, though the new testament has it's own twist on this. it's truly inseparable from the old testament theologically

Yes I'm sure there are inconsistencies and human inspired editing of text, but the message itself is logical.

Jesus says something like your enemies will not be able to refute you.

I think the gospel authors exaggerated what he said.
Perhaps he meant that the human authors(Jewish prophets) were speaking divine truth due to mere coincidence, but that it was still divine truth... and then the gospel authors twisted his words around.

Jesus says to not mix new wine with old wineskins. Throw away the old teachings.

realized about halfway through typing this out how unbelievably fedora I sound.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic, went to Catholic school from age 4-13.
went to public high school and started thinking about how if the church was right, then it would never have to compromise its views to compensate for findings in science, but it does.
then I started thinking that Catholic God is a dick (worship me and only me or I'll make you burn for eternity regardless of how good of a person you were).

so I don't really believe it anymore. seems kind of silly for people to believe that their God is the one (or more than 1 if you believe in that) and every other religion all throughout history is wrong. and like I said, even if the Catholic God is the one, I wouldn't want to worship a guy with that kind of personality either.

Although I had never really believed in any religion to begin with, around the age of thirteen or fourteen I came to understand in the usual, conventional ways that religion is nonsense and superstition. Oh sure, it might be excused on some level as being "culturally necessary", but this does not change one of a few things. 1) either the tenets are false, or 2) /even in the event that the tenets are true, then in all of the relevant cases, the god that is called to be worshipped is an abhorrent creature undeserving of worship, and the recognition of this is the only true morality, regardless of any human enfeeblement or incapacity to function without at least the contemplation of such god/. Human inability to do without god is not a point in god's favor, but a point against man.

I am past thirty. I am older than most of you, and I have spent more time thinking about these things. The older I get, the more I hate the idea of god. I am daily vindicated in my own views, and I find to be nothing other than a sadness that so much of humanity is disposed in this dead end of a way. The thing of it is that if after the first five minutes of my death, I will walk into the all-time Gotcha, I will still have been right to have thought as I did, knowing what I did, and this because knowledge is the superior category of human thought, not faith, suspicion, wishing, and so on. Now cue the usual *dips* that do not wish to engage with the substance of what I have written.

>if I will walk into the all-time Gotcha

oh, what a Freudian slip!

so you are assuming quite conveniently without good reason that Jesus agreed with you but his message was corrupted from this. this is literally Mormon-tier post-hoc justification. if you want to argue the original message was corrupted, fine. but use reason and scholarship on the subject to decide this, not just what is convenient for you

Why do you keep spamming this thread? Dumbass

retarded

I never really understood how somebody who actively pursues the knowledge and study of the history of the world, including all of the various religions and cults that humanity has followed since it first stood up, and specifically say one of them is correct.

I just kind of take the bits and pieces that I like and use them as a guideline to not be an asshole.

It's just LARPing.

>Read Nietzsche daily
>Try to live my life according to Nietzschean teachings
>Proselytize the bad news of the antichrist on anime imageboards

Does this count as a religion?

It depends... Does it works for tax evasion?

Yes, but not legally.

>2016
>religion
FUCKING BRONZE AGE BARBARIANS