Admit it, you are all here because of this game

Admit it, you are all here because of this game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6ai4Y90qfRo
store.steampowered.com/app/488060/
youtube.com/watch?v=m9vuuvC5GBE
youtube.com/watch?v=347qmxgydkE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Not AOE1
Am I the only one who got AOE1 bundled with their windows 95 computer?

Hittite Masterrace

>not Medieval 2: Total War

nope, this

A blue wolf took as his spouse a fallow doe. They settled at the head of the Onon River. And there the Mongols were born.

>play aoe1
>oh my gosh this is the best computer game my 10 year old self has ever played
>play aoe2 a year later
>OH MY GOSH SALADIN IS SO FUCKING COOL
>play aoe3 five years later
>so this is why people hate capitalism: because it destroys beloved cultural institutions in favor of horrific cash grabs

>Not this one

I'm here for the & Humanities.

there's a dedicated humanities board at

t. alberto barbosa

That came out years later but yes it's also a factor

>African Kingdom
>Portugal

what?

Hasn't aged well.

Are you tugging my dick right now?

Thanks.

I got aoe 1 through a cereal box. Loved it since then.

It taught me that Goths were excellent at producing infantry that could take on massive empires and fortifications.

When I learned that the Goths were a couple of refugee tribes turned "barbarian" by climate change and incoming Huns, I was confused at first. Although that was the truth, AoE2's portrayal of them seemed so wrong. I thought about it more and realized: I would not have learned about the real Goths had it not been for the video game inspiring my interest. Although full of plenty of false bits, I can safely say AoE2 inspired me entirely.

It was only six months ago that my uncle, a man of fifty four years, found out about AoE2 HD edition. He was one of you, and he too loved the Hittites. He asked me to come over and try it out with him. I brought a laptop and installed it as well. The menu came up and he chose to be the Portuguese.

Both of these jokes and memes rang in my head

I was looking through the faction list and found you know who...
>youtube.com/watch?v=6ai4Y90qfRo (skip to 0:58) plays
>Heisse?
>Ja?
>Das ich soll

It was good to be home

I miss the photon men and nuke troopers.

>start game
>ENTER
>"DIEDIEDIE"
>Victory
>mfw

My based aunt got me AoE I Gold edition bundled with CivII as a wee lad. Changed my life.

I didn't play AoE II until the Steam "remaster."
I enjoyed it more though, formation movement is a nice feature.

I won't lie, Civilization 4 is probably the main reason I got interested in history

Baba Yetu, Yetu uliyeeeee

It's true. This made me fall in love with the subject. I loved the narration before the campaign map and wished they extended it longer. Playing it later I realized the narration wasn't as epic as i though it was as a kid. I spent untold hours though playing this, AOEIII, age of mythology and the Total War series.

why is AOEIII so hated? It was so fun to me

Aerluv

WE WUZ

because our shitty PC's couldn't run it

I'm here because I have a genuine interest of history and this is one of the few boards ****mostly**** free of cancerous bull shit

AoE2 was a significant part of my childhood though.

New AoEII expansion. Anyone check it out?

It adds Bhurma, Khmer, Vietnam, and Malay. Some SE Asia history there.

I'm actually here because of the encyclopedia bits bundled with it.

You talkin about this bad boy

I was actually thinking about the blue booklets, and also the manual that was on the AoE I CD I'm pretty sure.
But yeah, I'm pretty sure I have this in a drawer somewhere.

I got you homie

I'm here because LOTR triggered my medieval aesthetic boner in elementary school and got me into extra studying my world history classes in 6th grade

>Bhurma, Khmer, Vietnam, and Malay
>1200's
>war

>mfw the nintendo ds version had an encyclodpedia too
that version of the game is severely underrated

>horned viking helmet

reeee

"Africa starts at the Pyrenees."
>t. frog

Empire Earth actually

do you think European kings went to war wearing their crowns ove their chainmail coif too

well circlets or coronets for identification purposes seem plausible to me. I'm too lazy to make a research now tho

store.steampowered.com/app/488060/

>rather playing with pedophile greek assfuckers than fight for the glory of god
kek

Nope. Pic related was where it started for me.

Never played it

Nice try, but you guessed wrong.

These two.

>first European kingdom to start colonizing Africa several hundred years ahead of everyone else

It made sense tbqh.

>Ireland and Scotland practically contiguous

hahaha

that game had such a great soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=m9vuuvC5GBE

nope

>Implying that most Veeky Forums users are old enough to have played AOEII

That game's campaign could be hard as fugg

Superior to AoE desu. Especially in terms of working the cultural differences (i.e. non-unique units get different skins per culture)

WOLOLO
WOLOLO
WOLOLO

Unfortunately, that song was never implemented in the game. Snippets of it can be heard in the campaign when you conquer Corinth and you get the Statue of Zeus video.

Is there anyone else here who, instead got into video games like AoE and Rome Total War because you're interest in history? When I was really young I thought games were boring pleb trash until I found about Rome Total War.

Anybody else?

Yes, also AoE1 before that, Empire Earth, Total War games and a bunch of others

Then this and AoE one.

Then the Total Wars, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth.

It was a combination of the two for me. I already liked history, but AOE2 and Rome Total War strengthened it massively, and I loved both of them. I've slowly moved onto games like Crusader Kings 2 recently.

>play Conquerors campaign
>El Cid
>King Sancho II has a mexican accent

I love the cheesy accents, both in AoE2 and Empire Earth. I still remember most of the lines in both games thanks to them

apparently, I was the only one who played this. (Probably because it was a blatant rip-off of AoE)

Still one of the most epic soundtrack's I've heard in a video game though.
youtube.com/watch?v=347qmxgydkE

Nah m8 a lot of people did. I replayed it recently, finally got through most of the campaigns after consulting the ridiculous unit counters chart. Fuck the Russian campaign though

I liked it until I got Age of Mythology then I dropped everything else. The OST was indeed cool though.

I got into history thanks to seeing some movie about Egypt, and totally fell in love with everything history.

>Fuck the Russian campaign though
Yeah, even 16 years ago it bugged me that Russia conquering the rest of the world is fine, but as soon as they get to America Russia has to become the bad guys and lose because magic.

Still, got to credit them with foresight - Russia was an economic and social wreck when the game was made, and they predicted a nationalistic resurgence under strong-man president, who would begin invading various eastern European countries in an effort to restore the old empire.

Putin has yet to build a giant robot successor though, but it's probably just a matter of time.

And ever since I was like 10 it was my favourite subject in school.

I can almost recite the opening Barbarossa cinematic by heart

I love it. The only drawback is having to unlock cards. But the grind is not too hard compared to recent multiplayer games.

Nah, you're not the only one. Dropping the atomic bomb was orgasmic.

Had a sense of scale and cool mechanics, epic game for a young lad

What about the Space Korean campaign from the expansion pack?

Couldn't get into the expansion, it was obvious from the get go that it was made by different people. New graphics were tacked on and didn't really fit, voice actors were different etc.

It's cool, but not refined enough, much like AoE 1.
Why can't we have more history-spanning RTS games?

Got into AoE1 and civ2 because my father was interested in history.

I'm here because of Mount and Blade.

I loved it when it was new but now the UI takes up too much of the screen and the actual play window is too small and can't be zoomed out

HD rerelease pls

A BLUE WOLF TOOK AS HIS SPOUSE A FALLOW DOE
THEY SETTLED AT THE MOUTH OF THE ONON RIVER, AND THERE WERE BORN THE MONGOLS

It wasn't historical.
Main Campaign was about some fictional faggot looking for fictional Aztec treasure.

nope, this

It just fell short of the perfection that was AoE 2.
The campaign narrative with le ebin secret societies and fictional characters didn't help.

You men!
You will visit each of the outlying tribes, convince as many as you can to join our glorious army!
But, beware the Kara-Khitai, they are without honor.

No, I loved AoE 1. Hated the sequel because the middle ages are boring and gay.

The fictional story was actually a clever way of legitimizing the presence of various other civilizations like the Ottomans in the New World.

Actually, I'm here because of these.

Goddamn the quality of these figurines is so much worse than I remember.

step the fuck up

Kushluk: RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

WE DIE FOR GENGHIS KHAN

My interest in history came from bible stories (along with my dad's bible which had all this neat historical stuff) and my dad stopping at civil war battlefields any time we were near one on vacation.

The Aztec campaign in Aoe 2 conquerors gave me the feels at the end.

KANGZ

I started with medieval 1 desu.

AOE III Asian Dynasties is fantastic you pleb. You just suck at customizing your civ/deck and/or play as Portugal.

Eh, I never played the campaigns.
>online mutiplayer 3v3 with Master Serg+ ranks is amazing

The expansion campaigns were better.

No, I'm here because of this game.

Based AOE1 is based
The game that made me a Veeky Forumstory fag

you were always a fag :^)