/smtg/ - 真・女神転生/Shin Megami Tensei General

News
>SEGA hinting Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation
personacentral.com/sega-teases-upcoming-english-release-of-dx2-shin-megami-tensei-liberation/

Games
>Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch, TBA
youtube.com/watch?v=YLSrGiiy95U
>Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 3DS, Out in Japan, Western release May 15th
youtube.com/watch?v=kJ-5x5IaYFA
>Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation - Mobile, Out in Japan, Western release TBA
youtube.com/watch?v=2V6mJStJH1U
>Persona 3 Dancing Moon Night and Persona 5 Dancing Star Night - PS4, Vita, Japanese release May 24th, Western - TBA
youtube.com/watch?v=BJhp0wVxzpk
>Catherine Full Body - PS4, Vita, Japanese release - Winter 2018, Western - TBA
youtube.com/watch?v=OejarinH0xo
>Project Re:Fantasy - TBA
youtube.com/watch?v=reYl4RUpF_M

>Starter Guide
i.imgur.com/PRKpcPh.png

>Tips and Tricks
pastebin.com/1V9AUMNb

>Art books, Soundtracks, Manuals, and other Media
pastebin.com/f55EcBb6

>Fan Translations, Patches, Games, etc.
pastebin.com/WAcnMB5J

>Scripts, Sounds, and other Resources
pastebin.com/aCsjkMd5

>Booru
smtg.booru.org/

>Recommended Reading
pastebin.com/ByiXrDGX

Previous thread:

Attached: 22002526_p0.png (1000x1000, 843K)

Law is the best path.

Attached: for_the_lawfriends.png (533x800, 792K)

HELL YEAH

A best.

Attached: Argilla.gif (489x300, 493K)

Law?
More like lawl

Attached: download (2).jpg (210x240, 11K)

chaos? more like gayos

Why is she so the best, bros?

>Lawfag calling anyone gay.

You mad that mommy didn't prepare your soy latte for you?

Pink bush.

Neutral is best
SMTV will only have neutral endings with two different bonds endings.

Attached: Danu_SMTIV_Final.png (278x479, 128K)

Hello /pg/

Attached: 1503721094187.jpg (640x448, 87K)

Law?
More like flaw!

How would you feel about alignment restricted demon summoning and paying money to summon them off your COMP returning with SMT V?

>alignment restricted demon summoning
Worst mechanic in the franchise.
>paying money to summon them
Indifferent

I wouldn't mind having some restrictions so alignment actually matters but paying money to summon would be a pain in the ass.
It was alright in smt 1 because making money was so easy but in the newest games money's been really tight since they want you to be a good goy and buy the grinding dlc

Why would a chaos demon would follow a lawfag?

I always thought summoned demons were bound by a blood contract and can literally not betray their employer.
That's why they can go along being killed as terms of negotiation for example.

Negotiation is about you finding a compromise with a demon, you pay them and they provide you services. Fusion is about how you have specifically have contracted a demon against their will. Think about why more extreme alignment demons like Beelzebub and Metatron can only be fused, they could never be negoiated with to work with those not of their alignment.

Recruitment has nothing to do with alignments.

>can literally not betray their employer
Except in the Devil Summoner games

Does any game go into details or how loyal demons are to their contractor?

>alignment restricted demon summoning
I wouldn't mind alignment restricted recruiting again, by which I mean the Ex. Law and Ex. Chaos demons.

If I kick their ass and meet all of the fusion requirements, I should be able to summon them no matter if I'm an edgelord or a lawbaby. And I'm kind of indifferent on the money part. I'd much rather see a MAG system like in Raidou

What's the most interesting thing in all of MegaTen?

Attached: m2oiAgE.jpg (1304x2192, 676K)

Post Deepest Lore

Attached: 1507403623805.jpg (1280x1707, 523K)

How much I want to fuck Inanna.

Attached: Inanna_SMTIVF.png (739x851, 550K)

How absolutely perfect Mastema is.

Attached: Mastema.jpg (1600x1286, 173K)

Yukari

Wait if you take the roppongi underground keys and wait till alignment lock into law/chaos can you take merka/luci to rescue the kids with you? I guess realistically there wouldn't be any special dialog for doing so but it would be funny if there was

It's strange

Kaneko's 'exotic' fashion for his character designs

Attached: 1521346481944.jpg (928x761, 381K)

The fun overworlds where you can walk around and talk to all the people. They say some fun stuff sometimes

Attached: 1510522448028.gif (324x360, 169K)

Attached: .jpg (2988x5312, 2.72M)

Interested, how did you guys decide on your favorite? Do you base it on it's design, lore, usefulness in game, how much you want to fuck it, or what?

I always try to narrow it down to a #1 favorite but it just feels so tough to do so. Right now I might say Nocturne's Abaddon though. I love his animations in Nocturne as he phases in and out of the floor. Also the fact that Kaneko depicts him as using his mouth as his portal to unleash his locusts is both the coolest shit and hilarious to me. I almost feel bad liking such a simple design so much but he's really cool to me.

Attached: mPapMdy.jpg (2128x2032, 352K)

Design mainly, though if I like a demon, I look up their lore too. Usefulness is kinda irrelevant since you can always improve a demon yourself with some good old-fashioned fusion autism.

Attached: Sh_norn.jpg (600x826, 92K)

I always feel weird about liking a demon but not knowing their lore always makes me feel like I'm missing one of SMT's main appeals, hpw it portrays mythology.

At the same time though sometimes I research a demon, learn about them, then get pissed as the SMT depiction is actually inaccurate. Asura us a example of this happening to me. I loved the various depictions of them in SMT so I researched them and thier history. I learned that only Japanese asura have three heads but the clothing is closer to Hindu asura making it feel inconsistent and sort of bother me. I know it's autism but still.

Attached: Asura.jpg (1163x1600, 195K)

Considering that SMT is such a mish-mash of all sorts of cultures' gods, couldn't you just think of it as combining both Japanese and Hindu Asura into one?

Attached: Ongyo-Ki.png (1904x1980, 2.68M)

>almost May
>still no new SJR trailer
yeah I understand, they're working on advertising Yakuza 6 first but come on

Persona 5 was enough of an advertisement for Megami Tensei games. The autists will find their way to SMT, no need to shell out on ads.

Attached: Lucifer5.jpg (700x923, 380K)

Sword Fusion

Yeah, I guess that's a thought. I don't know, I know I shouldn't take every design that literal but I feel like one of SMT's strength is in how they do depictions. Hearing religious or mythological names in games is common but only SMT has them be the actual entity. In Final Fantasy Shiva is only Shiva in name, in SMT Shiva is THE Shiva. I guess that's why when I learn about weird inaccurancies, even minor ones, it bothers me. I guess I just have really high expectations of SMT since the series has shown they can do really great and really accurate designs. But at the same time SMT also takes entities with little to no depictions and gives us something great. Cherobog is a example of this. He has little surviving history and little to no depictions but Kaneko's design of him feels like it genuinely could represent him.

Attached: Chernobog.jpg (733x1331, 595K)

I see what you mean now. It would be interesting if they were to both acknowledge that, but also have both a Japanese Asura and a Hindu Asura a the game, kind of like how they have 5+ versions of Baal.

Attached: Baal 2.jpg (1364x2636, 556K)

wait, the mobile game was released alreadY?
is it good?
is it gacha?

No
Yes

>Japanese mobile game
>is it gacha
Take a guess, user.
Basically it's gacha with some irrelevant story and press turn battles.

Say it ain't so

Well, there is no "hindu asura". Depending on the religion (Puranic or Vedic), Asura has completely different meanings. The Puranic version is close to a demon god in its role, but the vedic term Asura simply means "mighty', and was used to refer to even humans who have great authority. Heck, many of the important vedic gods are referred to as Asuras (mighty) as well.

Thank you, Then waiting for SMT V should be my priority kek.

is it out tho?

I don't think having multiple demons of a similar title would work and it may be confusing from a gameplay perspective. I just mean that when making a demon you should try to focus on a specific depiction. Trying to incorporate themes from across different cultures will just be weird. Asura and Baal are weird cases as they aren't specific entity and just a names. There are many Asuras and many Baals, but I feel like taking one particular depiction and sticking with that is what would be best.

Baal is also a intetesting case in which Kaneko turned what would be a really silly looking entity into a really cool and memorable design. I found this analysis of the design awhile ago and thought it was cool. Not mine, just compiled the images together.

Attached: Analysis of Baal's design.png (1016x2388, 1.34M)

It was releases on jan 22 it seems, but since noone talks about it then it must be shit

Mirai-user

I love this picture!

Thank you for posting it

I think it's just that the game is JP-only and most people here are EOPs.
Not denying the game is boring shit though, I tried it out. Only good thing about it was the otaku miko voiced by Hayamin and even then she has more likeable roles in other stuff.

How's dds2 hard mode? Thinking of replaying it for the satan fight.

Based on other SMT's hard modes I imagine not worth it as it probably is just shit being more expensive and hama/mudo skills being spammed more often.

Attached: chernobog___contest_by_narbensammler-d3iqusl.png (900x675, 560K)

i want to feel danu's tits. are they solid?

rock solid
where's that new Trauma Center game maniax team?

Probably, her entire body other then the head are wood. Titjobs are probably awful.

Attached: chernobog_by_lavosvsbahamut-d7ajmvz.jpg (800x1131, 278K)

Some bosses and random encounters fucked me up when I played through it.

How do I wanna build a phys-based guy in SMT4?

add points to DEX instead of STR for starters

Take a high risk hi reward single target phys skill like lunge, an all enemy phys move like heat wave. Grab a buff to accuracy, later replaced with luster candy or debilitate. Maybe one spell to deal with phys reflect demons if you're a bitch. Shove everything into STR like a real man, and make bosses your bitch.

>But str is broken and you should level dex instead.
Dex sucks, STR is the real way to play world of STR in IV. I've almost beaten my playthrough of all in STR for IV and i know you can too user.

Attached: 1504946420459.png (758x758, 222K)

DEX, maybe some AGI and LUK every now and then.

What does STR do if DEX is the physical stat

Does the same things as dex, but weaker. It's straight up just worse than dex.

STR boost your physical attack and skills. Dex boost guns and skills as well. But DEX has better scaling when it comes to the physical skills. So there's no reason to level STR if you're only gonna use skills.

STR only affects your basic physical attack. DEX affects basic gun attack, gun skills, and physical skills. It effecting physical skills is probably some weird glitch, was fixed in IV:A.

What did she mean by that?

Attached: silky.jpg (571x1012, 542K)

I see. Should I go 1 ag 1 lu or 2 lu? Crits are cool.

Who knows, IV and IV:A say a bunch of weird shit. I know that the IV:A artbook gives some weird made up backstory about how Krishna was the one to persecute the Christians in Japan or some shit.

Whoever wrote IV and especially IV:A seem to not really know all too much about mythology in all honesty.

I say go 3 DEX, and 1 each in AGI and LCK. Also if you go neutral definitely pick up Occult Flash from Masakado, really good physical skill that only he has.

3 DEX, 1 AGI, 1 LCK is pretty standard. You can put 2 in LCK if you want, just make sure you aren't getting outsped and put points in AGI.

Is Roland any good in dds?
I know everyone talks about gale and argilla being the best party members but he can't be that bad right?

Okay. Kinda torn on whether I should go neutral or chaos. I like Walter and don't like Isabeau but Neutral means I get to fight the most bosses.

Fuck law

>Paying money to summon them
This has always been a thing

>episode 3
>why is everything so dark? not just in tone but in lighting as well. bunny's sweater doesn't even look white 99% of the time
>compared to the shomonkai spreading comps to summon demons this nicaea shit seems way more contrived
>this show has pokémon-level strategy
>Lillim has huge tits. and she dies
press F for titty monster Lillim.

Attached: tits.png (854x480, 162K)

Nah, Roland is fine. He starts out kind of balanced but later he sort of leans toward physical skills. Cielo is the only party member who is "bad" because his weakness to ALL ailments just really hurts him. If you're okay with some spoilers you can bring either him or Heat to the last dungeon depending on how you answer certain questions in both DDS1 and DDS2.
Neutral is a bit longer and has you do both final dungeons. I guess if you're looking to spend some time with it go neutral or if you're kind of looking to go as fast as possible then chaos.

It's weird that they choose one of the least serious SMT titles to adapt into a actual drama. As long as Yasuda lost money from it I'm happy.

Any notable demon scenes? I've never watch it and have no plans to but animated demons interest me. I wish someone would compile all the demon scenes from this and the P3 movies.

Pagans used Mary's cults as replacement to their goddesses worship nothing new about that senpai

She died for your Sin of Weakness...

Attached: Kuroe149.jpg (968x450, 229K)

I don't know about you guys but every time I remember this exists it just blows my mind. Why does this exist? Who approved this? Who decided they wanted to make a serious apocalyptic drama when you have characters like Bunny and Hinako walking around in what are ridiculous anime designs? Did they expect anyone to take this serious at all?

Literally what the fuck even is the DeSu2 anime?

Attached: Strange Journey.png (684x194, 31K)

How much longer is neutral than chaos and how many bosses would I miss out on if I went chaos?
If it's like two then I don't care.

I want to say 10-15 hours but it's been some time. I would say that you can just watch the bosses on youtube if you don't want to waste more time. To be honest the final law dungeon is pretty fucking shit, the final chaos dungeon is actually pretty cool but I totally understand wanting to skip it. I suggest at least watching it online though, really cool theme and design.

Finishing SMT IV with a phys build and I'm getting tired of critting bosses in the face for thousands of damage since I played Nocturne and DDS with similar builds.
Is magic build fun in IV:A?

Attached: 1501604297245.jpg (1024x772, 67K)

>It effecting physical skills is probably some weird glitch
I don't see how it could be a glitch when the game tells you that's what it does.

Dude if you think physical builds in IV are boring magic is even worse. IV is just ridiculously unbalanced, Flynn is too fucking powerful and can kill boss' in 2-3 turns.

IV:A is all around better in balance. Magic is typically considered best due to being able to gain press turns by exploiting boss weaknesses but physical or dexterity builds are good too. Just beat IV:A last month with a physical build and it was fun. I suggest playing on war. The only problem is compendium rates, maybe focus on the compendium discount apps or if you're weak like me get the macca dlc.

Attached: 1508348465685.jpg (750x600, 543K)

It's pretty fun since almost everything has a weakness and light/dark spells do damage now.

>episode 4
>oh no pikachu isn't strong enough to beat merak
>ok but what if i yell a lot after hinako dies and psyduck tells me some shit
>yay i won
kind of a boring episode

Attached: Kikuri-Hime.png (854x480, 260K)

To the maybe one person it concerns the Dx2 update adds a new race and some QoL features supposedly.

Still gacha shit sadly.

Just change difficulty for "discount"

Shit, forgot about that. The compendium rates in the higher difficulties really fucking bullshit. It sucks that hard modes in SMT typically suck.

Does anyone have Black Maria's sprite in hd?

Attached: black maria.jpg (403x452, 149K)

>War raises the compendium prices but Apocalypse doesn't
What does it mean?

>Back then:
>Interesting story and plot, tough as nails gameplay, actual characters with complex morality, game designed by hardcore guys

>Now:
>Moe moe kyuun~ garbage, persona, easy as fuck games, dungeon design is non-existent, characters are boring tropey generic anime when they even have a character, demon design is much much worse, don't even have to think about anything, game is designed by anime loving faggots now

what went so wrong in this series bros

this but unironically

I wasn't being ironic. SMT has gone to shit, and if you're playing a modern """SMT"""" game you're playing an entirely different series

damn, we have our own version of HyperBitHero now??

Fuck alignment restricted demons, the idea is in general okay but going neutral is already too heavily leaned towards in story so i dont want that now gameplay does too.

I liked how it was done in SJ where negotiations and coop where affected by it. Maybe do something like Apocalypse and give affinities to demons but with their alignment.

Design mostly. I like dogs so Fenrir is my fav by default.

>episode 5
>these "funny moments" feel really out of place in a show this serious
>bunny is convinced by ronaldhino to seize the means of production
>yamato is a fucking edgelord
>these anime only characters are lame as hell
i think thats all

Attached: box.png (431x360, 96K)