Do I really need to own a car or can I just lie?

Hey Veeky Forums,
Gotta question for you guys.
So I'm graduating soon as a Mechanical Engineer this December.
The issue is, I don't have a 'reliable form of transportation'.

Do I really need a car to get a job? If I do, can I fake it, get the job, and take the bus like the poorfag I am?

As a follow-up, what's the job security looking like for engineers? Am in for the infamous 200 applications a week life until I graduate?

Other urls found in this thread:

census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

A bus is more reliable than your shitbox car desu cause they always have extras if it breaks down

So should I just answer yes, even though I don't have a car.

If bus service is regularly available between you and your potential job site, answer yes.

If not, you can't say yes.

You could always buy a cheap low displacement scooter or motorcycle. I hear Ninja 250s are quite cheap and reliable...

I would need training and to take a test.
I'm a poorfag who went to school to chase the American Dream of some day fucking over their boss and becoming a power player. Naturally my parents are also dead so no money for a car there either.

I have next to no money. My gf might get a car so I could fake having one that way to get a job.

But I'm going to go with what you said.
Yes there's a bus that will drop me off next to the firm.
Yes I'm a greasy Mexican who doesn't mind working weekends and overtime.

Thanks for the advice user.

This.

Answer yes. If they question you tell them about the bus route but you are open to purchasing a car if nescessary.

Even better. I don't have to buy a car though...right.

BUILD

I'm an engineer and never asked if I have a car or not and in my country, if the job needs you to have a car the company should provide one. However, if the car is the only problem to get that job just lie, then you can rent a car if the company needs it in any way untile you can lease one for yourself.

Get a used vespa

you should already have a job lined up, or you just fucked up. usually you get a job in the place you did your intership

t. mech eng unemployed for 5 years.

and why the fuck you aren't employed for 5 years?

I have literally been turned down for a job (with a major car rental place, cat has my tongue) for not having a car. The interviewer had a conniption when he heard I bike everywhere and said I "can't reach the office" on a bike, even though I was literally standing in the office when he said that. It was like a quarter mile bikeride from the train station. Business owners are retards.

I've also been turned down for bookkeeping type jobs for not having a car because they make bookkeepers run errands for some retarded reason, and you NEED a carrrrrrrrrrrr

From now on I'm just going to lie and say that yes sir I am a retarded fatass caging fuckwit and I drive everywhere, even to check the mailbox, even to take a shit. Fucking american car obsession is killing me. FUCK CAGERS RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The irony is that in my city it is literally faster to take the train+bike than it is to drive. But the cagers put their fingers in their ears if you say that.

Not OP but I'm graduating in May next year, I applied for internships for the summer all the time and barely anywhere even got back to me.

On another related note, I'm trying to get a car this summer if I can or at least my drivers license. As far as jobs go, I'm pretty limited by being only able to take public transport wherever I can in a reasonable amount of time in New York City.
For example I got a call back but the job was in a place called Oil, PA. Of course I have no possible way of even getting there without a car in the first place, let alone knowing what the public transport situation is like there (chances are literally 99% high that it would not be good).
Another job I applied for recently is like 3 hours away by bus/train, but about 1 and a half by car.

Just buy a 1998 Toyota Corolla and tell them you've had it forever and it never breaks down.

If you don't actually need it to get to your job after, just suspend the insurance.

I'm not taking advice from a neet.
Everyone I know got a job out of college in their field. It took awhile but it's doable.
I do agree with you on one thing. I'm a little late to the game. 1 solid year of apps is recommended in America.
Though many of my friends put theirs off until the last semester.
You gave up is my point, and I can tell.

Because he gave up.

If there's good public transport where you live, you don't. But take into account working long hours cause noobs at almost any career need to do that until they figure shit out. Pay attention to when the bus/train route you need stops running to account for this.

TACO TRUCKS ON EVERY CORNER!
-Donald Trump

Engineer here, he's right, there are plenty of people who just can't break into engineering even if they graduate. Hell, I even know a couple of Ph.D. students that have been looking for a job forever, and are literally only in grad school so that they can keep putting off their student loans.

Also, see: census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/stem/stem-html/

>mechanical engineer
>wont buy a car

Welp. I just hope I can get a job after college then.
I'm not smart enough to do grad school.
I'm sincerely hoping that I can get a job somewhere respectable. Doesn't have to be engineering.

What's the suggested back up plan if you can't get into engineering after college and you can't go back to grad school?

>reliable means of transport
They didn't specifically say car. Just say yes. Your feet are reliable.

I'm working on a Master's in Aerospace Engineering, and believe me, with enough hard work, even dipshits can pull it off.

My steps would be:
1. Keep applying. A lot of it comes down to luck, so, if you try long enough, you'll eventually get an offer.
2. Start working on a Master's. Just a class or two a semester, on a schedule that would still allow you to work full time. You don't have to finish it if you don't want to. Think of it this way - just by saying you're a grad student, you've already got a leg up on almost every other applicant, education-wise. Plus, in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if they start requiring a Master's to get a PE.
3. If you're doing 1 and 2 and still no luck, start applying for internships. You're still a student, after all (wink wink), so you can. Just getting interviews is good interview experience. The real value, though, is this: if an employer posts an internship position, it means that they need help in that department, but aren't ready to commit to a full time engineer. Once you get an interview with thr boss, all of the rules go out the window, and you may be able to negotiate a full time position.

Btw, these are the steps I followed. At step 1, the only real offer I got was $15/hr. At step 3, I was able to negotiate a full time position (yes, at a full time salary) in a field I love. You got this, bros.

try dating. the traffic is so bad here you cant get anywhere but when roasties hear you used an alternative its like you said you have HIV