Sea of Thieves General /sotg/

Thread #7: fancy boats edition

seaofthieves.com/
Sea of Thieves is an action-adventure video game developed by Rare and published by Microsoft Studios for Microsoft Windows (10 only) and Xbox One.

Sea of Thieves is cross-play compatible with Windows 10 and Xbox One, so you can play with people on both.

News: twitter.com/SeaOfThieves

Old thread: Looking to join a crew? discord.gg/hycfgZt

Want to try the game free for 14 days(PC and Xbox)? xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

Attached: 28700668_1723501364338875_199231439708866483_o.jpg (1920x1080, 175K)

Other urls found in this thread:

seaofthieves.com/news/launch-status-update
youtube.com/watch?v=-CuyLbC2TZo&t=1516s&ab_channel=MattDearing
youtube.com/watch?v=GPH5vAYGrt4&t=57s&ab_channel=AradneWiremux
youtube.com/watch?v=uicC2MUZ24I&t=3094s&ab_channel=ASSAASINED!
youtube.com/watch?v=MJjJR_cXE7k&t=539s&ab_channel=JessicaBrandsma
youtube.com/watch?v=AjVYWl-jKCw&ab_channel=BrandonFiechter
youtube.com/watch?v=7BRLCmWqpUo&ab_channel=BrandonFiechter
youtube.com/watch?v=XFshyenXjsg&ab_channel=Derek&BrandonFiechter
youtube.com/watch?v=CgCMBFcifVE&ab_channel=Mr.ACCORDION
youtube.com/watch?v=BIPJZeIdndE&ab_channel=TheDreadnoughts-Topic
youtube.com/watch?v=yWOHtHXuGLk
xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass
discord.gg/hycfgZt
youtube.com/watch?v=sa9cj_K20TA
news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03/26/herr-crew-france-helps-umbra-escape-isolated-island-winning-quest-golden-bananas/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for broken spawn system.

Second for RIP death tax. Also, big update tomorrow.

The death tax is asinine. Why get treasure when assholes in big ships come and bombard you for no reason? Not only do I have no money but now I owe gold for wanting to respawn?! Rare is shooting themselves in the foot for even thinking about this. If anything they need to punish players for attacking others at outposts.

whats the big update?
im assuming its not just maintenance

I know this is bait but the obvious point of.
It didn't make you lose money if it was PvP it was exclusively pve deaths that gave you a death tax.

seaofthieves.com/news/launch-status-update

You'd think for a game with the objective of grinding cosmetics they would have put more variations into boats. Half the boat accessories we were shown are not featured, I suppose they're available at legendary pirate, though none of the ones that are missing looked any more spectacular.

Unless they changed it, I think you do not get charged for dying in pvp.

>tfw satisfied with how my character looks
Now for the long grind for ship cosmetics

Attached: 1520138569726.jpg (175x201, 10K)

>One piece of additional feedback we've seen is around a proposed change listed in our release notes last week, and we've heard the sentiment there, so I can confirm that Death Cost is, well, dead. Thanks for the feedback here. We're listening.
We did it reddit!

They had to add an addendum in a Discord post saying you don't get taxed for PvP deaths, but the damage was already done, and people weren't on board.

show pirate

yep its dead anyways
atleast the community can change rare but thats what rare has said all along, basically theyre developing along with the community's ideas from what ive seen

Pretty much.

Arr im here to provide shanty to you ninnies and lemon juice squeezers!!
youtube.com/watch?v=-CuyLbC2TZo&t=1516s&ab_channel=MattDearing
youtube.com/watch?v=GPH5vAYGrt4&t=57s&ab_channel=AradneWiremux
youtube.com/watch?v=uicC2MUZ24I&t=3094s&ab_channel=ASSAASINED!
youtube.com/watch?v=MJjJR_cXE7k&t=539s&ab_channel=JessicaBrandsma
youtube.com/watch?v=AjVYWl-jKCw&ab_channel=BrandonFiechter
youtube.com/watch?v=7BRLCmWqpUo&ab_channel=BrandonFiechter
youtube.com/watch?v=XFshyenXjsg&ab_channel=Derek&BrandonFiechter
youtube.com/watch?v=CgCMBFcifVE&ab_channel=Mr.ACCORDION
youtube.com/watch?v=BIPJZeIdndE&ab_channel=TheDreadnoughts-Topic

Attached: Go to sea once more.jpg (1280x708, 284K)

Xth for ironic redditposting

>nothing about outpost grieving

oWo

Attached: isthatapenor.png (817x586, 379K)

>no major content updates
playerbase sinking faster than a galleon full of gunpowder

>we are very aware of the topic of persistent player griefing (repeatedly being attacked by the same ships or players). We are discussing what short-term fixes we can make, and what slightly more involved fixes we will prioritise.
If you get ganked once while turning in your stuff, shit happens. If you're getting ganked repeatedly, that's an issue.

They're running triage on the launch problems, and they've said several times that substantial content updates won't be for a little while.

this just happened
>Wrapping up the session as a Sloop
>ship is offloaded, decide to go over to the skeleton outpost that people have been fighting over for 20 mins
>As we go, the skull disappears
>We head off the Galleon, they cant do sails well so we can gain on them
>They orbit the island and we do it better while destroying them
>Hear over local comms, "Two high level guys are after us!"
>absolutely devastate them, then we jump overboard and kill the people who are trying to ghostride their galleon to drop off treasure, and cash theirs in
>The Galleon that the first galleon was fighting at the outpost shows up
>Now its a 10 person, 3 way fight
>slaughter everyone
>Steal the galleon as they're on the island, smash it into rocks and sink it
youtube.com/watch?v=yWOHtHXuGLk

Attached: admiral fatbeard.png (1920x1080, 2.11M)

So what the fuck Rare?

If you are being chased it is 100% legit strategy for one of the crew to jump to the sea and wait for the chasing ship to come by and then try boarding it? Fuck this fucking game. I'm so glad I didn't pay for it.

You're dumb. Can you not see a name bobbing in the water? Just swerve and leave them stranded and if they climb on, blunderbuss them at point blank.

>Want to try the game free for 14 days(PC and Xbox)? xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

Could someone explain to me how this is a good marketing tactic? You can explore the whole game in less than 5 hours, why would anyone even consider buying the game after having access to it for 14 days?????????

Attached: 1515653863305.jpg (960x960, 100K)

>Playing No Man's Sea

You people are morons.

>They never intended to add a death tax, they just wanted to give the impression that they listen to the community.

who /bilgerat/ here

Attached: 3-26-2018_4-15-23_AM.png (1920x1080, 2.37M)

where the fuck are my skull and crossbone skins

PSA:
If you defeat a skeleton fort, and grab the key you MUST use the key at that specific fort. I just wasted an hour of my time running away from 4 galleons with the key just to find out the treasure doesn't spawn at other forts.

You can't see the name if they are submerged you fucking mong. And if you swerve they just lose time and speed and they just teleport back to their ship with the mermaid and do it again.

If you die or are left behind on the sea you need to respawn at the nearest Outpost.

Why are you suprised by this? You can jump out of your boat at any time, and you can grab onto the ladder of any ship. Ergo, you can climb onto a ship chasing behind you if they're close enough that you can grab their ladder.

we're all playing it ironically to make you angry, fag

Or you can drop explosive barrels off the back of your ship
Or you can take the barrels directly to them, either by boarding them, or swimming it into their hull
Or you can turn and fight them
Or you can do an anchor turn to quickly U turn to behind them, forcing them to either turn manually and lose a huge amount of time and distance, or also anchor turn and be slower than you at it

On the bright side, you denied EVERYONE the treasure.

Well sure, but getting to respawn back to your ship is fucking retarded mechanic.

It's fun

You sound like you're just terrible at the game, jesus christ. Learn how to sail and boarders are a non-issue. Stop piloting your sloop into rocks.

The game does everything possible to minimize the separation between pirate and ship at all times. That's why the ship is a respawn point when you're out in the wild. The only time you respawn at an outpost is when your ship is at dock for any reason.

Can't you fucking read? The problem is that the ship that is running away can do so eternally and use cheap tricks like jumping ship to harass the chasing ship.

> Learn how to sail and boarders are a non-issue.

How the fuck is a chasing ship supposed to catch up to someone ever?

>The game does everything possible to minimize the separation between pirate and ship at all times. That's why the ship is a respawn point when you're out in the wild. The only time you respawn at an outpost is when your ship is at dock for any reason.

This is shitty design.

Because the game has a great foundation but lack of content. So instead of getting a bunch of people pissed they spent money on it they get a bunch of people who may buy it after they add more content. Most people who try it on gamepass will probably like it but maybe not enough to buy it. If in 6 months they hear about more content being added some of those people may buy it. It's actually pretty smart if you think about it.

>dropping shit as a solo off at plunder's outpost
>see a sloop
>I wont sink him and maybe he wont bother me
>get all my chest turned in and some dude takes pot shots at me with a rifle
>fuck it
>pull my anchor up and let her rip
>hes on shore while I sink his fucking sloop
>sloop sinks and I do donuts on my boat playing music while he takes pot shots at the shore
literally what was he thinking?

>cheap tricks
Not in MY pirate game!

It's legitimate. You know you can also cannon yourself onto the ship you're perusing and drop their anchor, turn their sails and wheel, eat their bananas and steal their planks?

>This is shitty design.
Getting killed when your ship is docked just offshore and being teleported to the nearest outpost with your ship, forcing you to sail back to the island you died at, is even worse design.

Where do you think people should spawn then?

The chasing ship has tons of things also available to them, if the Galleon is chasing a Sloop, they can do so at a pretty distant angle so that boarders cant swim over, or apply tacking so you're even in the angle for fire in cannonball range.
If your idea of a chasing maneuver is to point at them and go, you're a fucking amoeba.
git gud

>discord.gg/hycfgZt
anyone wanna do a 2 man sloop or 4 man galleon? I am in the discord, my name is memelord69

Being a better sailor. Me and my buddy chase down galleons all the time in our sloop. Likewise we also escape galleons all the time.

Most people are too retarded to realize how much speed you lose if you lose the wind on even one sail for even 10 seconds. On top of that predict their movements and try to cut them off as they turn.

In terms of a galleon I have no clue because I played as a galleon once and hated it. I'm sure it's similar to what I said about sloops tho.

I've been rerolling galleon crews for the last hour. Everyone is so hopeless at this game, I'm grateful for when I manage to get a full crew of competent friends on but its usually only late at night for an hour or 2.

>It's legitimate. You know you can also cannon yourself onto the ship you're perusing and drop their anchor, turn their sails and wheel, eat their bananas and steal their planks?

Having abusable spawn mechanics is fucking disgusting and bad game design. Period.

Shooting yourself from the cannon atleast makes some sense as you cannot shoot cannons directly ahead or behind you. So if you want to board the enemy ship that way you have to sacrifice speed to angle your own ship to be able to use your cannons.

You shouldn't harass people if you don't like being harrassed.

trump did ruined this game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG dude BRO WHAT the HECK were they thinking about the spawns?!?!!?!?!?!? OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Abloo Abloo ablooo, people who have tons of tricks available to them are using the easiest one on me and I keep falling for it!
>Game must be broken!

>Rare listens to the worst fans
>loudest complaint (besides muh content) is 3-man Galleons are pathetically outmatched
>Rebbit might actually get us the 3-man Schooner we all keep hoping for

Attached: 1521131603752.png (307x300, 26K)

He wasn't, you're sailing an ocean full of children and pothead dudebros.

>Getting killed when your ship is docked just offshore and being teleported to the nearest outpost with your ship, forcing you to sail back to the island you died at, is even worse design.

>death should have no consequence, wah wah wah

All a Sloop has to do to successfully outrun a galleon is to point the ship directly against the wind. Galleon is physically unable to sail faster than a Sloop against the wind even if they use tacking.

Is the idea of a Schooner a problem? Seriously, I wanna know.

Death is absolutely a consequence in this game. Unless you've got friends on your boat, your shit is completely defenseless until you get back. That time you're waiting is plenty of time for a rival pirate to sink your boat or run it aground and take your stuff.

literally one of the most unintelligent moves I've ever witnessed

Not gonna lie, a Schooner would be nice. I have 2 friends on as often as I have 3 and being short-manned on a galleon is suffering. People are generally pretty bad at working the sails.

a 3man themed schooner sounds rad as shit
>you can que maybe as 2-4 people
>Faster than sloop, more agile than Galleon
Comfy

>You know you can also cannon yourself onto the ship you're perusing

if you're going the same speed as them how are you going to be able to shoot someone on board without losing ground?

Rate this man

Attached: pirate.png (849x984, 1.2M)

You might have minor mental retardation.

Who plays this game alone? It isn't a solo game.

The fact that they've never mentioned a 3-man ship, despite the fact that this game desperately needs a middle ground between 1 set of guns and 4

Attached: Going_Merry_Infobox.png (775x606, 660K)

Destroying every other crew is funny enough in a 4 man but my friend and I have been sent into hysterics at how hard we've destroyed every sloop and galleon we've come across. It's so easy to bully all the poor goobers in this game.

90% of people who try it won't buy it ever if they haev a bad initial experience

Would look better without the hat

Well, now Rare knows by this point that a three-man galleon is practically untenable, worse than a solo sloop, because there's just too much to do on a galleon for three people.

Any arguments beyond memeing?

Simple try the game for first 14 days.
After the majority of 14 days freebies are gone they are gonna do the first big content update so people are forced to pay to play.

preorder gloves gotta go

Turning when you can get wind and taking a wide path is often faster than going head on. If you're chasing effectively you will have plenty of opportunities to to fire cannons at the ship you're perusing.
if you're following directly behind them regardless of the wind you need to unironically get good.

In the Golden Banana quest, there was a bit where they hinted at the idea of a Schooner

anyone pls wanna queue up for a sloop or galleon ?

>Golden Banana quest
wat

>first big content update
>ever going to happen
You guys are far gone with your delusion it's almost more sad than funny.

Attached: 1514484215615.jpg (942x722, 153K)

I kept saying during the alpha "they need to test 3-man galleons" but they never did till the last couple scale tests
THE FOOLS, WHY DIDN'T THEY LISTEN
THE FOOLS

Attached: spoons.jpg (600x337, 34K)

It's an interesting game alone. More thrilling and dangerous than in a group and also comfy.

IRL contest to earn a set of 24k gold plated bananas.

But most people are not having a bad initial experience as far as I can tell most people are having a good to great initial experience but the problem is that experience doesn't last long enough so they will quit. Then months later they will hear about all the new stuff that gets added and some of them will say "oh man that game was so much fun, now that there is new stuff I'll try it again" and if they add a sale on top of that they will be able to get some of those 14 dayers to become payers.

I'm not saying it'll work but the idea is solid and I won't be shocked if it does work.

youtube.com/watch?v=sa9cj_K20TA
Sea of thieves did a big ARG contest with a bunch of little easter egg riddles and shit, and in one of the small bits they tossed a reference to schooners

doubt they will release any significant content after release if the game is bringing millions of loss

Even no man's sky has had content patches. You need better bait.

Because you're nobody.

is this why gears general died? from rampant shitposter?

That's true. It all comes down to whether Microsoft has faith in this game or not.

news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03/26/herr-crew-france-helps-umbra-escape-isolated-island-winning-quest-golden-bananas/
>Four LITERAL golden bananas worth £80,000

Attached: 1522082247314.png (435x329, 288K)

huh?

If it's making a loss they'll have to add mt to recoup that so either way content is coming.

This, I saw a notable increase in BF1 players on Xbox once they released Revolution edition, I imagine it converted a bunch of EAaccess trial players

>Turning when you can get wind and taking a wide path is often faster than going head on

not really. as much as I would like traditional sailing to be effective in this game, zig-zagging behind an enemy going into wind just isn't that useful. that and you usually only get one shot at sneaking a dude on board via cannon before they start watching the ladders. Also assuming the crews on either ship are equal, you aren't going to be able to just kstyle around the ship and survive forever like you can against shitters.

also from what i've noticed, players shot from cannons dont inherit the forward inertia from the boat they're on, unlike cannonballs.

Its the same concept as an open beta. Devs say it's to test bugs and shit but it's all a marketing tactic. It's effective and it works.

this game should've been a mod for Minecraft instead.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 57K)

Grinding Souls quests solo is cancer but so is playing with incompetent randoms.

Mind blown how similar SoT is to Minecraft, now that I think about it.

Shit I'd like to see:

Ghost Ship random encounter. Impossible to board. You need to have skilled gunners and sailors to take the ghost ship on in ship to ship combat (the cannonballs hit the non-corporeal ship, it's a game).

Different types of cannonball. The main ball deals great damage to the structure of the ship. Chain balls will damage the sails, limiting the manouverability of the enemy. Grape-shot cannon balls are no real use against ships, but deal greater damage to beings, like skelemen and pirates.

Improved Kraken fight. Tentacles attacking the ship. After defeating a number of tentacles, the head of the Kraken will pop up somewhere off the ship. You have to turn your ship to point cannons at it to deal true damage. Repeat.

There may be other things that could flesh the game out some more, but those are all that come to mind ATM.

I just want private invite slots. So I could try to solo sail a galleon