/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Dwarven wisdom edition

Previous thread >>

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.44.07.
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
github.com/Dwarf-Therapist/Dwarf-Therapist/releases

>DFHack (Alpha for 44.07):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Legends Viewer:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154617.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11455

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Attached: 1519403729515.png (431x311, 103K)

First for adventure mode boats

second for elf ass

Attached: 1521931764107.png (944x1500, 901K)

god I hate these fucking meme jap comics. weeaboos should be gassed.

fourth for weeaboos

Pause and reflect. Dungeon Meshi is a good manga.

Attached: senshi_gottomakethemameal.png (885x343, 180K)

Weebs can stay in fact they are welcome. As long as they use ascii only. Graphictileplebs and lazy nigger pack users are the ones who should be gassed.

>complains about weebs
>on Veeky Forums

Anyone know if there are plans to play as other races like humans officially? I know there's a mod for kobold camp. Is there a mod for humans?

All races playable has humies playable along with gobbos and elves. I don't think there's official plans for humies specifically, though I'd wager once procedural civilized creatures are a thing they'd occasionally end up playable if they were to replace dwarves in a world.

>retire volcano fortress
>do some adventurer stuff
>unretire fort
>suddenly the volcano is spilling over, blanketing the whole embark in magma

What is happening? The volcano has no holes whatsoever, it's literally spilling over the top. Magma everywhere... this is truly terrifying!

Attached: Utled.png (1453x1033, 129K)

That's a shame mate, you're missing out.

Attached: based senshi blesses silly catgirl with a lesson in how to eat big dorf benis.png (815x757, 301K)

dungeon meshi is a precious gem from the mountain of trash japan exports
>lauis
good job

Attached: roast dorf.png (649x631, 317K)

Looks like the shitty rpg parody webcomics everyone and their mom used to make in the mid 2000s except it has an anime artstyle.

Dungeon Mesh is dwarven work.

Attached: Dwarven Work.jpg (693x448, 88K)

/a/ spills into /dfg/
nice

Attached: shocking truth.jpg (125x91, 2K)

Is that an image for purring maggots?

Attached: ants.webm (100x42, 69K)

pump stacks are not a fun project....

Not really a parody, but it does draw inspiration from old school wizardry. It's a fun little dungeon crawl manga with a dash of cooking and cute monster facts.

Attached: retro_meshi.jpg (664x894, 202K)

Any other webcomic that does things like this get shit on, but it's ok when you have waifus and made it in Japan.

Why would people shit on it if it was good? There's plenty of decent western comics if you look around that get praised and given awards. I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.

Attached: obelix.png (800x900, 71K)

Is a forgotten beast made out of steam really dangerous, as in any weapon strike will just pass through it, or does it die in a single strike?

Because most webcomics are utter trash.

Attached: SAD.jpg (800x800, 651K)

repeat after me: it's okay when japan does it

Never mind, it died to a crundle.

Big
Dorf
Benis

Generally, if it’s made out of an elementlike fire, water, steam, smoke, snow, other loosely held stuff, it does in a hit or two.

Flesh is like other creatures, a decent dwarf with a decent weapon will kill it.
Rock is harder but not seriously dangerous
Metals/glass/gems are where it gets worse. Bronze is dangerous, iron is a serious threat and if you get a steel beast then you might as well either lock up the fortress forever or abandon now.

wew lad I'd completely forgotten about this epic webcomic

DF confession time?

despite having played actively since 2010, I've never bothered with learning about minecarts. now, I've finally decided to do something about it. basically, I'll set up a babby mode fort, with just 40 dorfs and no visitors. that fort will be entirely dedicated to experimenting with minecarts.

Attached: 1517144050388.png (1229x1160, 58K)

I've been playing since the version with that bug where you could only farm on mud, not soil.
And I still haven't tried out minecarts.

On a side note, does anyone remember what version that was?

That's pretty close to what it is. Except, you know, GOOD.
Didn't a lot of those RPG parody webcomics have an anime artstyle too? Or that weird knock-off anime style you get from reading one of those "Learn To Draw Anime" books.

Wiki says 23a for mud only farming.
Jesus you're one hell of a veteran.

LNP update when

I can't wait to play with my favorite graphics pack (Phoebus) and using addons like quickfort and dwarf therapist and dfhack

Man.
That guy had some problems.

It was a version after z-levels were added.
I remember my first forts dying due to making an underground farm in soil and it not showing any farmable crops.

Stop

For those who actually think like this, they all work for 44.07

So what's taking him so long to update the damn thing

And I don't care. I'm not in the mood to argue with social reject who use anime to escape their shitty lives and praise it as the greatest thing because the story was about something they liked and the girls made their dick hard..

>So what's taking him so long to update the damn thing
what's taking you so long to download an archive, unzip it and copypaste it into your DF folder?

I'm lazy

>I haven't read it so I'll just call it a regular old haremshit manga, that'll show those weebs who's boss

Attached: 1427411921590.jpg (500x375, 26K)

kek
I remember having to make an MSpaint drawing for an user who just couldn't understand how to irrigate stuff without flooding his fort.

Maybe the LNP maintainer is lazy too.

It's fun man, just like playing dwarf fortress. Art is nice, and it's nice to see a story told in a visual medium that is more relaxed than film/tv.
>story about something they liked
>girls make their dick hard
Literally every hollywood flick except with 3D actresses

doubt it!

A medium for social rejects. It panders to their need to belong and feelings of self-worth. Premises commonly involve an archetypal social outcast who lives an exciting life by conveniently stumbling upon a cute girl. The anime medium as a whole is nothing but garbage, even the "greats" it has to offer is a step down to just an above average book or movie. Social reject anime fans will deem any show amazing as long as the animation was good, they were manipulated, and there was "subversion"/"deconstruction".

Then why isn’t it updated?

>this manga about an adventuring party is shit because most mangas are about social outcasts.
I think you're just fishing for (You)'s, but I'll feed you until I go to work in half an hour.

Attached: 1518192887332.jpg (720x736, 27K)

I don't know!

Can we stop discussing fucking the ins and outs of anime in a general of dwarf fortress. Go to /a/. These generals are normally really good and almost always on track.

And so exceptions to this are literally impossible? While anime/manga is saturated with bad stuff that appeals to the tasteless masses, it's just like any medium where hidden gems can be found. I see no difference between fans of western comics/video games and weebs.

post something df related worth discussing

Does an above ground temple make any sense for your dwarves or do you always build them underground?

I happened to bury a couple of werebeast victims in my first year underneath a lone tree by a river, and decided I'd build my first temple next to the tree, out of granite blocks

Why wouldn't it make sense? It's basically a meeting zone for fulfilling needs. It'll even be more immersive and aesthetic if you decorate it with nothing but wood statues of an aboveground type god.

HOw do you bury non citizens

>user made a good argument against manchildren
>got his post deleted and was possibly banned
nu-Veeky Forums at work

You can only bury monster-slayers and others that appear on your citizen tab I think.

So I have 140 citizens in my fort and 200 pets/livestock in a 3x3 embark, and I'm getting around 40 to 45 fps with an oldish i5 4400. Is this normal or is it some Linux efficiency magic?

You make a memorial slab for them

3x3 forts are okay for fps, Having your entire frotress on a few z-level helps as well if I remember correctly.
And If i remember right penning animals also improves FPS.

>The absolute state of moderation on Veeky Forums

So dwarf fortress general confirmed for being cucked harder than skyrim.

>you dump them in the lava user just like all the other trash.

If you make a memorial slab then dwarves will put them in a coffin yeh?

That is a very nice elf.

except it's not parody, it's just a comfy dungeon cooking adventure full of worldbuilding and loss of loved one

no, you put them where you want, just like with other furniture.

Why do I have dorfs in cages?

I just recently built an animal stockpile and imagine my surprise when next to a caged elk bird they put a couple of my dorfs, also inside cages...
How did they get there? There was a bit of a scuffle recently with goblins near the cage traps, could they have fallen in by accident? I never knew this could happen lol, how do I set them free now?

place the cages as furniture, connect them to a lever, then pull said lever

Dodging or falling friendlies can trigger cage traps.

So slice of fuck all happens?

>Not an intense edgy anime with lots of ACTION

I get it user, high school sucks

It says a lot if that's the best defense you can give for this trash.

>I get it user, high school sucks
I have never met a weeaboo who liked high school shit because high school was good to them.

Slice of fuckall happens while personalities, setting and circumstance are built, then happenings start. I was pleasantly surprised since I usually can't stand SoL and its eternal status quo.
>mfw delusional /a/tards unironically complaining that it didn't stay sunshine n rainbows SoL

I don't browse /a/ and never read it. I just said it sounds like shit.

I wasn't referring to you. You made it clear you don't like SoL. I was saying that there were many anons who bitched about not muh comfy when it stopped being SoL.

I remember that bug, but I couldn't name the version.
I've been playing since before the version where cliff erosion was first introduced. Every river valley used to have sheer cliffs.

>waiting for a decent interface since 2012

>2012
Oh you sweet summer child.

What's wrong with the interface?

t. lnp graphics set babby

Go buy Rimworld and play it for 4 hours before getting bored.

it'd be very engaging if there weren't six million ways to cheese hostile AI

I'm too old and tired to relearn again all the damn shortcuts every damn time.
If only Toadie made an API or something I could even make an interface myself. Something like Goblin Camp wasn't too bad. If only...

I already tried it and got bored a good time ago.

>plains titans kills all my dingoes
gay

Attached: Francisco_de_Goya,_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_(1819-1823).jpg (1616x2889, 546K)

>I'm too old and tired to relearn again all the damn shortcuts every damn time.

Strange, I have the opposite experience. I just downloaded and started a fort, haven't played since 2014ish, and all of the hotkeys just flow through my fingers, without much trouble. I'm not even sure I could verbally tell you a hotkey for something, but the hotkeys seem burned into my fingertips.

Tamed dingoes?

Attached: squelettes exquis.jpg (828x867, 511K)

Yeah, I guess I'll have to start over with crundles. Billions of crundles.

I forget them every damn time. This is why I gave up.
At least until there'll be a decent interface or the possibility to make one without needing to do somersaults on the memory addresses that will be invalidated the next version.

If there was just a fucking scripting api to handle the goddamn motherfucking interface it would be trivial. I'm a goddamn programmer, Toady could implement LUA or something and just let us do whatever the fuck we want.
I wouldn't even need to know how many spaghettis are hidden in his code, as long as I had access to such API.

I don't know much about coding, but given that everything has hotkey, and existing mouse support, is that not enough to build upon? An interface that 'rests' over the screen. When you press this button, the appropriate hotkey is pressed?

But Honestly, this game feels best played on keyboard. The only in-game control scheme that I can't stand is Labor assignment/management and Therapist does a good job of managing that.

>experimenting with minecarts
>no visitors
Boring.

Attached: The-Great-Thrasher.png (1280x1024, 280K)

That's an hack. I don't have time to waste chasing ephemereal contrived mechanism to fake command with virtual keystrokes. Something might fail during inputs, there might be an hiccup screwing up the stream of keystrokes, this is a bad idea and it will probably break and be hard to debug.
If there were direct support from withing I could do thing cleanly, draw the interface as I see fit, process mouse and keyboard inputs how I want, etc.
This is not asking too much. This is a reasonable request.
There's dfhacks whose devs do their best to catch up to the latest dev, that could be useful to try to fiddle with the interface. But then again that would be kind of the hack of a hack, if it were so easy someone would have already done it.

I just want to learn the basics in peace.

Good luck with that

how to hospital
Also, what's a good difficulty progression for newfags? I assume it's mostly biome-related. I settled in a savage neutral warm forest for my first, what's harder than that without going full reanimating glacier?

Yeah, I also did a 'baby fort' just to play around with minecarts. I'm still not sure what to do with them besides murder traps or moving lava.

Neat system, does anyone actually use it for moving goods around?

Do you still have it?

>hospital
read the wiki page, it's really just a zone with beds and some containers. Layout it how you want. appoint the appropriate nobles and enable the appropriate labors. keep shit stocked up and keep looking at the health screen.

Set up my first tavern, entertainers are flocking to my fort. How many of these fools should I let in? I see the init file has a 100 visitor cap. Are there visitors besides Monster Slayers and Entertainers? I haven't checked out Temples and Libraries yet.

Would Toady ever add recrational drugs to DF?