/microstates/

How did all these microstate meme countries manage to survive so long without being annexed? What historical circumstances lead to their creation in the first place?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couto_Misto
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino#Government
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz,_Duke_of_Bavaria?wprov=sfla1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Max,_Duke_in_Bavaria?wprov=sfla1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie,_Hereditary_Princess_of_Liechtenstein?wprov=sfla1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques,_Hereditary_Prince_of_Monaco
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Progressive_Party_(Guyana)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're each independent for their own reasons. Today, all of them bar the Papacy exist as tax havens.

Because there's literally no reason to annex them, they offer no strategic value. They're better off independent so politicians can use them as tax havens.

Tell that the people of Couto Misto

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couto_Misto

Monaco is only going to be independent so long as they have a male heir. If no male heir is born they'll get annexed by France when the regent dies.

Andorra is literaly ruled by it's 2 neighbours it's governed by the bishop of urgell and the french king/president

Monaco was annexed a couple of times but was bought back to existence by french enemies

San marino is/ was just villages no body cared about while unifying italy
Liechtenstein is independent thanks to Nappy + switzerland is neutral since 15th century and austria/Habsburgs didn't have any reason to annex a german state in the 19th Century and prussia couldn't take cause no border so no part of Germany
in WWII it wasn't anschlußed because it was alinged to the Swiss

Pope is more complicated why he was revived but simplified italians wanted to be good catholics

San Marino is the oldest republic in the world

They're still having to consuls like the roman rep don't they?

Correction to this. San Marino exists because it sheltered Garibaldi while he was unifying Italy.

Ah ok just though they forgot it/ didn't care because it wasn't importend

Monaco actually had a hinterland and rivaled Genoa, they were finally cucked by the french revolution

Still alive so not that cucked, and I know of no other pirate state that's still around
(Somalia has no government that "plans" the raids)

Fascinating. I'm embarrassed to admit that even though I'm from Galicia I'd never heard of it

You'd have to be a pretty big cunt to invade the Vatican.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino#Government

>Every six months, the council elects two Captains Regent to be the heads of state. The Regents are chosen from opposing parties so that there is a balance of power. They serve a six-month term. The investiture of the Captains Regent takes place on 1 April and 1 October in every year. Once this term is over, citizens have three days in which to file complaints about the Captains' activities. If they warrant it, judicial proceedings against the ex-head(s) of state can be initiated.

The practice of having multiple heads of state, chosen in frequent elections, is derived directly from the customs of the Roman Republic. The Council is equivalent to the Roman Senate; the Captains Regent, to the consuls of ancient Rome.

Pretty fuckin based

They are larping to be romans for over 1000 years now.
We wuz Roman Republic the state.
But there are far worse ways the govern a state

You rang?

You're now aware that the House of Grimaldi died out in the main line in 1731.
Their successors, the House of Goyon-Matignon took over the name and inherited the principality until it too died out in 1949, when Rainier III (son of the previous prince's bastard daughter and her husband count Pierre de Polignac, later Prince Pierre Grimaldi, Duke of Valentinois) took the throne.
Reality is that, as long as the principality can find men willing to take upon the name and arms of Grimaldi, and there's a Grimaldi woman available for marriage, the principality will survive.
And since 2002, cadet branches are allowed to inherit the title too.

Interesting.

>who disturbs my slumber

How's Spain doing?

Wtf is a cadet branch?

a part of an extended family, typically carrying hereditary titles, that is subordinate to the main branch.

For example, the French Bourbons put a cadet branch Bourbon on the throne of Spain after the war of Spanish succession.

The Habsburgs gained so much power because they held their branch families in a highly centralized apparatus controlled by the lead title holder, which allowed them to create one of the largest and longest lasting empires in European history.

Luxembourg is a microstate. The commonly-repeated definitions currently on offer at wiki are but one modern iteration of a rubric, and are impoverished for want of mention of the above.

Luxembourg is simply at the large end of the meaningful spectrum of what a microstate is supposed to be, and is in no meaningful way /outside/ of that rubric.

Landlocked? Check.

Small area? Check.

Small population? Check.

Generally irrelevant but for local tax etc haven purposes? Check.

Here is how little seriousness you (you, the reader) should invest in the arbitrary definitions of wiki about this type of thing: apparently, the wiki was recently re-named by some fuck to be /ministate/, which I'm just noticing for the first time.

I have a mind to directly change Wiki in a general way to make my uncontroversial view on this stick. I bet I could, too.

Well you could be from Galicia in eastern Europe.

You're pleasantly autistic user

wow, your post made me sick, well done

I'd breach her Porta Pia if you know what I mean

These places exist as elite retreats, both in physical and financial sense. It doesn't matter what historical circumstances led to their existence, their only function in the present day is to create a grey area that the rich and powerful can exploit. Switzerland is actually an extremely large scale variant of them, even though it's considered a 'normal state' by most.

Basically they helped him under condition they won't be part of unification, and when offered additional land, they refused. Smart choice, really.

Have you ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

What's the name of this meme? I've been seeing it a lot lately

So have I.
It's a good exploitable.

>Switzerland is actually an extremely large scale variant of them

It has some things in common, perhaps, but it's not one of them. They have their own industries, their own culture, their own poor people, their own formidable military.

On Liechtenstein
Some guy calle Carl von Liechtenstein, originally from Bohemia and rich and influential, needed some Austrain clay to gain a seat in Parliament. He did so buying some originally Austrian clay, which belonged to an impoverished Swiss noble. That clay is two poor farming villages, Schellenberg and Vaduz on the eastern banks of the Rhine river pressed against the steep mountains.
The HR Emperor then made this villages a "Reichsfürstentum", and called it Liechtenstein. That was 1719.

1806, Napoléon puts, for whatever reason, the farmin villages on the founding list of the Rheinbund, the Kaiser terminates himself and the HRE, Tadaa, Liechtenstein is independent Nation.
1815 they get confirmed independent at the Vienna congress and stay Austrian pet until after WW1.
1919 they turn Swiss pet, because Austria ist kaputt
1938 the Prince of Liechtenstein moves to Liechtenstein, before that they where always living in Vienna or Bohemia. But because Anschluss and Stormfags Liechtenstein was now way cooler.
By this time they Swiss had fortified the Rhine valley with tons of artillery forts and bunkers. Liechtenstein, completely covered by Swiss artillery choose to stay neutral as well and thus mad it trough WW2

Fun fact, Switzerland still guarantees the security of Liechtenstein, Switzerland still sends them soldiers when requested, like for security duties during international football matches.

Liechtenstein should just join Switzerland.

Also, they are a perfectly stable buffer state between the large nations.

Actually, they are way richer on average than Switzerland and would have to pay higher taxes.
Liechtenstein is the highest industrialized country per capita, Swiss people commute to work there every day. Banking and Finances are also strong and they make good money with Tourism and such. They use Swiss Frank as currency, but they are, unlike Switzerland EEA member.

They only have to keep up with with a staunchly catholic old Viennese that runs the country and as a result of this, a retarded archbishop.
Other than that, they have their own beer, passports and a FIFA football team, so they are a nation like everyone else.

Yes, but a useless nation.

4u

What is the purpose of a nation then?

I really doubt the average person has even asked themselves that.

my favourite is Christiania

>literally the size of a park

The house von Liechtenstein just had a lot of land in bohemia/moravia but they originated from austria

Also some useless facts
>It's Only state in which german is the only official language
>Liechtenstein was once invaded by the Swiss army because they got lost and didn't know where the border was
>the current Erbprinz of Liechtenstein will be, after the death of his mom, the next king of england and scotland if one follows the jacobite tradition

>the next king of england and scotland if one follows the jacobite tradition
Armada when?

Let Lizzy rip in pieces and than the revolution can start

I heard it was communist once making it the only country willingly electing a communist government. Its size probably prevented a major massacre but no doubt it made its mark regardless.

A nation exists to organize a people.
But Liechtenstein's people are barely different from Switzerland's, and their Government relies upon Switzerland's.

>the current Erbprinz of Liechtenstein will be, after the death of his mom, the next king of england and scotland if one follows the jacobite tradition
Source?

Yes, they are what Canada or Puerto Rico is to the US. So what?

I think a better definition of a country's purpose would be to protect its people from all threats, whether that be foreign enemies, domestic, or even fight for economic stability). This can ask be chalked down the providing defense, education, and some manner of safety net for the people (not major enough to live forever upon but enough to save a family). Any country that does this as well as cater to the people's ideologues (to a certain extent) should be considered a "useful" nation.

Just simple genealogy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz,_Duke_of_Bavaria?wprov=sfla1
The brother of his grandpa who has no kids it goes to
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Max,_Duke_in_Bavaria?wprov=sfla1
Who has only daughters so the claim goes to house Liechtenstein
Because of Her
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie,_Hereditary_Princess_of_Liechtenstein?wprov=sfla1
Sorry for only wiki but if you want more search yourself

Fuck my autocorrect bullshit.

I wonder how much longer based Transnistria can hold out. Maybe once Putin annexes Ukraine he can reintegrat it into the motherland.

The motherland? Aren't they Larping to be still SU? Fuck you stalinistic antiinternalistic commies.
Only the worldrevolution will save us all.

And soon the one true King of Scotland and England will succeed as head of a micronation, staunchly catholic, immensely rich and hidden deep in the Swiss mountains.

Yeah, but Canada should also join the US.
And Puerto Rico is part of the US, though it shouldn't be, as it has a different people.

>been born at Portland Hospital in London,24 May 1995
>heir apparent to the Stuart throne
>this face

>tfw too smart not to be the King of England

The white man's burden, unironically

Why should we pay money for those Spanish-speaking mestizos?
Give 'em to Mexico.
And kick all the spics in America to Mexico, and the blacks to Liberia.

And all the whites to england?

no because muh savages LOST lmao XDDD

it only works 4 white ness can't u tell i'm so aut right XDDD

gas the kiikes!

Well, you wanted to have an Empire like the Europeans, didnt you?
Now you have pay for it.

As if the virgin (!) Islands are that expensive

You should have thought about that before.

wut?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques,_Hereditary_Prince_of_Monaco

I'm no American but the they are rightfull danish clay

He is talking about some 19th(?) Century contact

If the Redskins get fucking.

All I know is that Andorra is kind of a teocracy with a bishop helding a lot of power

Its a shared principalty, the co-princes are the President of France and the Bishop of Urgell.

As a canadian fuck that.

Why?

We're aren't as tumultuous as the US. Crime rates alone make me say no. i'm happy as a major trading partner. I love our US brothers but until things settle down a lot, I'd have to decline.

Our population of disenfranchised peoples is at a comfortable level as well

>you will never live in the only surviving absolute monarchy, led by the Vicar of Christ

>Andorra is kind of a teocracy with a bishop helding a lot of power
Sounds pretty comfy, desu.

Our crime comes from niggers who won't want to move to the new Canadian states, as it's too cold for them.

I know. Fuckin keep em'. We imported somalis for some reason that escapes me and they're troublemakers.

When you join us, it won't make you any blacker.

me personally or the nation as a whole? I have no issues with civilized people of any color or culture coming here but as it stands there's too many groups of loonies in the USA to jsut open the border. Vancouver is fuckin' racked with 2nd gen gangs so we've already made some missteps with immigration

But your also ruled by the french king/president.

Shouldn't let people of different cultures come, they should assimilate.

And, I mean the nation as a whole.

Also the perfidious asians coming in via the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Pilot Program and not sticking to the statutes. My town personally had some buy a golfcourse and they made some very grand promises of development but have now reneged on that completely and are trying to get out of debts owed to the municipality

When i said civilized I mean westernized

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Progressive_Party_(Guyana)

You're wrong

It's just a group of potheads that the Danish government turns a blind eye to. Not a microstate.

that post didnt require a response.

What do you mean? I was just explaining.

What do you guys think about Sealand?
If I were rich, I'd buy it, expand it, build a town on it, and offer money and jobs, to people who pass certain tests, to move there.

Sealand is no state it has no terretory die n the normal sence

Do you need help?

might as well join /pol in the invasion of Tuvalu

Liechtensteiner American (we exist) here. That is the worst idea I've ever heard.

Joining Switzerland would mean we'd lose the monarchy, and the monarchy is inseparable with the Liechtensteiner identity.

Liechtenstein is wealthy, catholic, and traditionalist, as well as really beautiful. My ancestors come from Balzers, which is the quaintest town in the world. It deserves to be independent.

Sry just drunk af I was just talking about the debaited terretory

Sealand has Grandfather Clause, Jack.
Declared itself a nation before it was decided artificial islands couldn't be countries, and it declared itself a nation before Britain expanded her territorial waters.

Plus, England and Germany de facto recognized it.

>invading an island that will be under the ocean in ~20 years

LOL
O
L

"CountryLove"

WE