WWII Bomber Position

You're in an unpressurized bomber in world war 2, with electrically heated suits because it's -60F and oxygen masks because you're at 22,000 ft on a bombing run. What position do you have? I'd be a waist gunner, looks fun.
> too tall to be ball gunner.

Other urls found in this thread:

life-magazine-scrapbook.tumblr.com/tagged/bomber
youtube.com/watch?v=OAr0tCoH6MI
398th.org/History/Articles/Remembrances/Ostrom_FortressHome.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Ball_Turret_Gunner
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>tfw bought a $700 ww2 bomber jacket from Barbour and wore it everywhere
>actually saved up money for it too wagecucking
>eventually stop because it hits me all at once how autistic I look

It's a curse I tell you I wish my mother didn't wait until she was 38 to have a son. Fucking selfish whore.

> she was 38 to have a son.
Risky, You're actually 38+your age old.
Females have their eggs mature at birth.
38, the odds of congenital disorders is like 50x having a kid at 18.

Risk of birth defects[edit]

The risk of having a Down syndrome pregnancy in relation to a mother's age.
A woman's risk of having a baby with chromosomal abnormalities increases with her age. Down syndrome is the most common chromosomal birth defect, and a woman's risk of having a baby with Down syndrome is:[5]

At age 20, 1 in 1,441
At age 25, 1 in 1,383
At age 30, 1 in 959
At age 35, 1 in 338
At age 40, 1 in 84
At age 45, 1 in 32
At age 50, 1 in 44

I'll be the pilot because fuck being at the mercy of someone elses shit piloting skills.
t. DCS pro

Waist gunners ended up having the best survival rates I think, but they also stopped flying with them once the Luftwaffe was more or less subdued. Ball wasn't as dangerous as people think, I think the nose/cockpit was the worst, at least until the B17-G (with chin turret) was introduced, as head-on attacks were the German's preferred method of attacking forts.

So flight engineer or radio, I guess.

>be 45
>wait five years to have a kid to lower my chances

I understood that taking a piss was quite a problem, also because it froze

But what sort of casualty rates are we talking about?

Air combat was cool as fuck before the invention of guided missiles. They literally removed all the skill involved.

Hopefully we can return to the age of cannons/machine guns with the arrival of rail guns.

Didn't the tail gunner have the lowest survival rate because for him to evacuate he would have to crawl to get to the exit?

>Air combat was cool as fuck before the invention of guided missiles. They literally removed all the skill involved
>Hopefully we can return to the age of cannons/machine guns with the arrival of rail guns
There are unironically people who believe this crap.

Yossarian hated stewed tomatoes

Damn my mother had me in her forties (I'm the last of four) I guess I lucked out.

>i don't remember where i read it but i seem to recall over the course of a bomber's life it would experience at least some flak or other damage, and the crew would have about a 25% casualty rate. but unless the plane was shot down in a particularly bad way most crewmen survived iirc

>F
>ft
please billybob

me in the front

Same with naval warfare.
It was dope as fuck having inhumanly giant cannons and strapping them to a giant boat.
fucking missiles

Forts had a reputation for absorbing damage due to the air frame. Liberators, though they flew faster, further, and carried more payload, didn't.

I'm not into leather jackets typically, but if you have a nice one how is it autistic?

life-magazine-scrapbook.tumblr.com/tagged/bomber

If you will kindly excuse me, I wish to connect two pieces of USA history. Ronald Reagan is considered a great president, and while I disagree with his social policies, his international policies, especially with respect to the cold war, were magnificent. So here he is, as an actor, pumping the tail gunner role in a B-17.
I had to become a centrist to love all my brethren.
youtube.com/watch?v=OAr0tCoH6MI
Little surprise I'm OP tending his thread. I'm a /pol/ tard and like lively conversation, and my imagination rails at what I read about flying a B-17 during wwii.

Also, as OP I'd like to mention two things:
1) The square plate in front of the gunner,. hanging from the gun, is armor.
2) Partially effective, they also wore flack jackets which were basically layered seatbelts.

Mind blowing.

I would pick pilot, since I am a pilot now.

My Grandpa was a nose gunner on the B-24. Pic related is his plane flying underneath another plane which had opened its bomb bay doors.

I could post his war journal on here someday, I posted it on /k/ many years ago.

Where are the snowdens of yesteryear?

I met a guy who was a tail gunner. I really can't imagine how insane it must have been. The attrition rate for crews in general was off the charts.

Actually head on attacks were discouraged, as the closing speed resulted in such a short firing time that effective hits were unlikely.

>I could post his war journal on here someday, I posted it on /k/ many years ago.
post it

My grandpa was trained as a navigator for B-17s. Never saw any action though

Holy shit!

Dad had me at 47 and mum was 39

Dire

My grandad was a co-pilot on a b-24, stationed in the Mediterranean. Said the thing that scared him most was losing 2 or 3 engines on a mission and no being able to get enough altitude to get over the Alps and back to base.

Was in the ploesti oil raid. Had a big oil painting of it in his guestroom.

He had a piece of flak come through his ankle and out below his knee cap. Almost lost the leg. Had a huge deep scar. Mom still have the piece of flak somewhere.

Also said he said you could see the German pilots faces when they would attack head on. Said he and the pilot would duck behind the stick even though they knew it wouldn't stop anything.

Randomly ran into his pilot at one of my little league games, in the 90's. Many feels had by all.

He died when I was like 10 and that's all the war stories I ever heard.

Is there some kind of map of crew positions?

I was terrified of death when I was a kid, so I always had the idea of having as little fun as possible to make the time pass slower, prolonging my life. Reading about Dunbar was really weird for me because of that. It's still one of my favourite novels.
Pilot. I'm not putting my life in others' hands if I can help it.

Not sure why you didn't just look it up. The stories on the internet are crazy.

CRAZY
R
A
Z
Y

OP here, look at these fucking guns. I'm 46 now but if I was 22 or 23 and behind one of those, out to protect the other 9 on my ship and defend freedom?

There's a great picture of the banshee b17, yeah, the bomber died.

No love for the ball gunner. Why?

Better map.

398th.org/History/Articles/Remembrances/Ostrom_FortressHome.html

All you pilots, the craziest story I read was when the pilot was shot, a head wound. He slumped over the controls, causing a dive. The copilot tried to wrest the controls, and the brain damaged pilot started attacking the copilot. So as copilot you:
1) Fight off the now zombified pilot
2) Pull the plane out of the dive.
3) Evasive manouvers nice because you're under attack.
4) Zombie was your friend, contemplate killing him by removing oxygen tube.
The navigator came to the rescue and the crew got back to base, but the pilot died. Not an easy position.

if the ball turret glass was shattered would the gunner plummet to his death

No he got washed out with a hose.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Ball_Turret_Gunner