Veeky Forums books

Hey Veeky Forums,

im looking for books like "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" - timeless history books.

Can you recommend some to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
pastebin.com/hXXFcHZj
oxfordbibliographiesonline.com/obo/page/military-history
oxfordbibliographiesonline.com/obo/page/international-relations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobel prize winner coming thru

It's essential.

>asking a bunch of wiki warriors for books
Good way to expose them tho.

Are you interested in anything special? Social / Political / Economic / Military /... History? Or rather a comprehensive overview?

I would not mind a deeper view into economic or political history, but feel free to recommend your favorites.

He said with all his credentials.

>Gibbons

Agenda driven hack

The New Deal in Old Rome

Whats his agenda, user ?

Go read Braudel's The Mediterranean already

A.H.M Jones' Later Roman Empire is pretty neat, and much less ridiculous than Gibbon.

I think Gib is not ridiculous at all. Great writer.

He's a great writer, and his work is phenomenal, but in terms of his sources Gibbon leaves a lot to be desired. For instance, he uses Ossian as a source, who was later discovered to be a forgery.

Can someone recommend me some books from the renaissance+ ? Rome is alright but I prefer the age of rediscovery

I would suggest not reading american writers. They are so bad.

Kys

Conquistador by Buddy Levy
The Memoirs of Bernal del Castillo if you want a primary source

Evans' books on Nazi Germany are a good starting point

Why is there no ebook repository for Veeky Forums? Even Veeky Forums is able to maintain mega repositories for mods and games and shit

Does anyone have a link for Evans' In defence of history?

We are literally polnigger tier of board organization.

>no ebook repository for Veeky Forums that I know of
FTFY

obligatory pastebin annotated bibliography collection
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
see link
link is closest thing. a majority of books can be found for free on bookzz and libgen anyway.

Steven Runciman's "A History of the Crusades" is fairly essential. Beautifully written too.

Any good history of Haiti? Or at least biographies of the earlier personages of the country, like Louverture.

books on the haitian revolution right here where you'll find bios on the major figures.
pastebin.com/hXXFcHZj
I don't know Haitian history past 1806 but the french colonial history of the country is really fascinating.

we /duncan/ here?

Not much on ww1 there

there is an article on wwi eastern front

Saw it my man. That's why I said not much instead of nothing.

Prescott's History of the Conquest of Mexico and History of the Conquest of Peru.

not him, but it was "christianity is responsible for the fall of the roman empire". Nowadays that isnt a widespread opinion, and the Byzantine empire is better considered.

Just making sure, I thought maybe you had found wwi books indirectly in some other article. If you want to see more works on wwi check
oxfordbibliographiesonline.com/obo/page/military-history
oxfordbibliographiesonline.com/obo/page/international-relations
there are a few articles on the subject in the links (ctrl f world war i), but you can only see the introductory works if that interests you.

Bump

Thank you user. I've read plenty of books on ww1, including causes, but I'm always on the hunt for more. I'll take a look.

WE WUZ CHANGZ N SHIET

Stfu they sailed to italy and ignited the Renaissance

Shelby Foote motherfuckers.

I'm looking for any good books on Attila, Genghis Khan, or Alexander the Great