Italy divided into city-states

Italy divided into city-states

>centuries of great progress
>admired by the whole West for its beauty, art and culture
>brilliant, well developed cities
>great military might, brave and capable town militias along with strong navies that rule the Mediterranean (Venice, Pisa, Genoa, Amalfi)

Unified Italy

>pathetic, poor shithole that sucks in war and can't even beat niggers in Africa

really made me ponder

After about 1500 AD, nation-states start to beat the shit out of city-states with increasing regularity.

really batters your bacon, doesn't it?

Italy is not a nation, it is a geographical expression

t. Metternich

the city-state system went to shit after the 1530s though. Florence, the Papacy and a handful of other states on the peninsula were still relatively independent but the peninsula lost its economic and cultural predominance

>Judging based on their war performance instead of how sweet their hats and uniforms are

Dividing shit into shit does nothing dividing gold from shit helps the gold, does this help?
removing terroni and other shit skins and populating it with proper romans would be ideal.

>with proper Romans
>not Lombard rape babies

German dna is non existant in Italy, white italians are simply pure romans.

>white italians are simply pure romans.

Celts.

celts are no such thing, white italians are italians not related to french or irish "celts".

Northern Italy was called Gallia Cisalpina for a reason.

retard, it doesn't have any gauls, it is border free with rest of italy and blocked from gaulia by ALPS.

the province was divided among four of the eleven regions of Italy: Regio VIII Gallia Cispadana, Regio IX Liguria, Regio X Venetia et Histria and Regio XI Gallia Transpadana

What do you think the Senones and most other tribes listed on the map were?

Italians as you can see, the language and culture they had could have been adopted, but the people were Italians.

>blocked from gaulia by ALPS.

How did Brennus Sack Rome then?

I'm not versed in something that is 3,000 years old with contexts and truths muddied.

In the battle of Allia Brennus lead a confederation of Gallic tribes and sacked Rome. The Senones were members of that confederation.

The truth is that geographically the natives of North Italy are of the same geographical region as Rome, as you can easily walk back and forth between them.

Yes, invaders not natives to north italy.

>1500s AD
>Nation states

> what are the celtic migrations of the 6th century BC
> what are mountain passes

Go read a book

>Nation states
>usa
>nation state

What about the Umbrians, Insubres, or Boii?

They aren't though and you can't easily wall there since there's Mountains

North Italians are not French you dumb fuck or any "celtic" they are same people as central italians.

Before unification
> wealthy, urban north
> poor, rural south

After unification
> wealthy, urban north
> poor, rural south

I don't know what you're talking about OP

I show you ethno-geograhical truths, opinions and other non sense are irrelevant, north italy is genetically a part of Italians, as they are geographically in the same area.

Go read a book or two, then we can continue arguing

So the Ainu in Hokkaido are ethnic Japanese since Geographically it is part of Japan?

False, look at Gebetic distance between italian groups and you'll see that there arte 4 different clusters

N Italians c Italians s Italians and Sardinians

Looks perfect as setting for one of those gigantic capital cities surrounded by mountains where you can write about huge sieges.

Man, look at all those mountain passes!

>really made me ponder
You sure OP?
the Italian divisions worked until everybody else was only nominally united - as soon as the other states of Europe were able to assemble actual armies, every Italian state was ripe for the picking.
When Italy unified, it grew rapidly and become a power player of Europe in a time when Europe was the center of the world. Siding with a retard in World War 2 made things worse, but Italy is the western country with the greatest growth from 1946 to 1992, when the magistrates destroyed its entire political class and enabled the rise of Berlusconi. Everybody was just waiting for its economy to surpass the uk in size.
Now Italy has some problems, but it's still the eight economy in the world and a great power, so I don't really see what you're talking about.

>Ainu

During Tsarist times, the Ainu living in Russia were forbidden from identifying themselves as such, since Imperial Japanese officials claimed that all the regions inhabited by the Ainu in the past or present belonged to Japan. The terms "Kurile", "Kamchatka Kurile", etc., were used to identify the ethnic group. During Soviet times, people with Ainu surnames were sent to gulags and labor camps, as they were often mistaken for Japanese.

Pretty much?
I don't know much about them, but siberians and chinese are highly related as are chinese and japanese.

Result of miscegenation.

>poor shithole

Epic, simply epic, if you're not braindead you can easily find a job in Italy after University which is relatively cheap, in Murica you have to sell your liver and left foot in order to go to college and you're expected to work as a slave in nigger tier jobs such as mcdonalds and call centers while you study, I'll take living in this shithole any day over growing up in Murica, the land where people have to go to fast food chains because it's "cheap" and where degeneracy reigns supreme

>great military might
Machiavelli wrote the prince mainly because French and Spaniards rolled over city states

>centuries of great progress
>admired by the whole West for its beauty, art and culture
>brilliant, well developed cities
>great military might, brave and capable town militias along with strong navies that rule the Mediterranean (Venice, Pisa, Genoa, Amalfi)

Amalfi became irrelevant since like 1200 ad or even before, Shitcily was relevant only when Normans cucked it outof the Arabs for a few centuries and then it became a poor shthole, most of South Italy and Sardinia wasn't relevant for all ofthe middle ages and medieval period, only Central and Northen Italy city states were thriving rich centers of culture

italians are 2x richer than Americans.

Neglecting Sicily's contributions to the Italian medieval is preposterous.

I mean, to the italian medieval culture

Norman Sicily did contribute from 1200 to like 1350 ad then it became irrelevant, there weren't relevant Sicilian city states except maybe Syracuse

Palermo.

Actually it's even less, from ~1150 to ~1260. They were fucked by the pope and foreigners, just like the rest of Italy will experience later on, but at least they gave the world Frederick II

My point is They were irrelevant cucks ruled by other peoples

I bet you still live with your parents, Luigi.

How is that a bad thing?

I personality dont but there's nothing wrong with it

>his mom didn't love him enough

What are you taking about? Although Naples was not as rich as their northern counterparts, they were by no means poor. And Sicily, especially under Muslim rule, was extremely wealthy and powerful

I live with my parents in the bay area because it's fucking expensive here. I'll rather be dependant of my parents in beautiful Italy than this shithole

Anybody have any good books on life in renaissance Italy? It's a very interesting period I'll love to learn more about it

>Unified
>Italy

>Naples
>Under Muslim rule
You didn't even fucking bother googling that shit.
Only Sicily was Muslim, and it was mostly a goverment rule, Puglia too, but for like 30 years only.
The rest of the South was pretty normal, kinda spent their time being ruled by Normans, Self Rule, Spanish Rule, Self rule, French Rule, Self Rule ect. ect.
At this moment we're in Northern Aggression Rule.
>South is rich
>Commoners have some good rights
>North invades
>Steal all the gold and bring it north
>Implement awfull laws for commoners
>Surprised when famines and revolts happen
>100 years later
>Some good industry in the South
>Fascism ends
>Brits and Americans help destroy all the industry and bring it North
>Not to mention giving the Mafia gigantic amounts of money
>This being the main reason we're a criminal shithole now
I know it sounds like some WE WUZ shit, but the Northerners really are ignorant scum.

WE WUZA ROMANS AND SHIT!
t. Guillermo Godofredo Tedesco

Are you fucking retarded? Can you even read one fucking comment? When did I sayi say Naples was under Muslim rule? I said Sicily.

The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy by Jacob Burkhardt

The real issue is that they didn't unite enough

>Marxist
>history

rome was a nation-state

>pathetic poor shithole

>great military might

Except not at all
Italy was weak as fuck and foreign powers (namely Spain, France and Austria) were fighting to decide who should rule over it

The real question to me is how did a people who conquered just about every part of the known world worth conquering then go on to amount to so little?

The modern Italian state certainly isn't terrible, but it's not particularly impressive in any way either.

Thanks user

They did lose alot of wars and battles that's true, but they held their own against much larger forces and preserved their sovereignty for a while, mainly Florence, Venice, and the papal states

The same reason the middle east was the cradle of civilization and extremely rich but is now in its current state. Trends in history change, you could be at the top of the world but I'm a couple hundred years you become irrelevant. See also China up until the 1970's

Because nation-states > city states in the modern era.

Spain and Portugal were the first people to really run with this paradigm, but the British and Dutch perfected it.

>The same reason the middle east was the cradle of civilization and extremely rich but is now in its current state
I didn't realize climate change and the Mongols destroyed Italy.

No is because trade moved from the Mediterranean, they were still rich but slowly became irreverent as more trade routes opened

>The real question to me is how did a people who conquered just about every part of the known world worth conquering then go on to amount to so little?

Amount to so little?

If you mean producing literally hundreds of scientists, incredible painters, scultors, explorers, poets

dumbshit kys

Are you fucking retarded?

80% of Rome's territory were colonies that they couldn't even impose law on

0/10 read a fucking book

Sicily is not on the peninsula so it doesn't count. Naples, Rome and Ancona are pretty wealthy and have been for a long time, but compared to northern italy the south has been more rural and poor for centuries

>that ring surrounding athens
topkek how man albanians are there in that area?