As we all know, ancient Israelites and Jews despised idolatry and depicting God was strictly prohibited

As we all know, ancient Israelites and Jews despised idolatry and depicting God was strictly prohibited.

Early Christians often depicted Christ, but never God the Father.

John of Damascus, one of the most important Christian theologians from the 8th century, explicitly states that depicting Jesus is allowed since he assumed a human form, but depicting the Father is prohibited because he's unknowable, incomprehensible, invisible and without form.

Then suddenly, starting with the renaissance, the Catholics go full retard and start depicting the Father as a goofy bearded old grandpa wearing a bathrobe.

Did the Catholics go too far and completely violated earlier Christian doctrines?

Images were always important to Catholic teaching as way a to teach religion to illiterate people. Thus it was much more likely for God drawing to emerge in Catholic or orthodox teachings than in strictly anti image religions.

Yes, but the depictions are still just symbols. Most Catholics consider god an unknowable mystery.

But the Orthodox still don't depict God the father - just Jesus and the Saints. According to the 7th Ecumenical Council, depicting the father as anything, much less a bearded man, is prohibited.

I honestly think Catholics went so far with their obsession with classical Greece and Rome, they started depicting the Father the same way Greeks and Romans depicting their gods. Pic related is a statue of Zeus, for example. I see the renaissance as basically an attempt to completely paganize Christianity.

I think I've seen some depictions of God the Father in orthodox churches.

They came awfully close. You have to remember that the Renaissance is when the meme of questioning everything and being a secular humanist started. The artists of the Renaissance cared more about their art being beautiful and innovative than they cared about being faithful to the Church and the teachings of Christ.

>the Orthodox don't depict God the Father

lol

guys guys STAHP it's against DAROOLS

That's a paternity icon.

To say that it is OK to depict Christ in majesty but not god the father is absurd. They are both symbolic images, no one knows how Jesus or any divine thing looks

This is actually a common Hersey; to imply god the father as more divine than the son

>My opinion is

lol

6Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. 7If you had known Me, you would know My Father as well. From now on you do know Him and have seen Him.”

8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.”

9Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me?

***Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father.***

How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, carrying out His work. 11Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me—or at least believe because of the works themselves.

Fuck off Orthoshill, your shitty sect has depictions of the Father too.

This is not a question of divinity but rather the question of us not knowing the father's form and the fact we're not even ALLOWED to know this form. This is explicitly stated in the Old Testament:

>Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see Me and live

Stop degrading the Son, Judaizer Orthoshill. Go with your Judaism somewhere else.

Get lost LARPer.

>An American "Orthodox" who LARPS as a bearded Russian on a chinese board cartoon calling anyone LARPer.

Fuck off Cletus. Some oriental "Christian" sect doesn't make you look good.

Where are you getting this notion that I'm an American? We had a decent theology debate and then a retard like you storms the thread and starts shitposting. Go back to /int/.

it's pretty obvious you're American attempting to trigger catholic shits by falseflagging

Presbyterian?

American Trump supporters think it's edgy to be Orthodox. They feel good being Orthodox because is almost the same as being a Protestant.

Stop with your Orthoshill hipocresy. The Orthodox Sect depicts Christ as Sophia, an angel (also called the Holy Silence). That's not paganism for you, right? Fuck I can swear you "converted" to Orthodoxy thanks to pol.

>Depicting God as an old man is bad and pagan
>Now have this icon of a 4 eyed monster with horns, praise him

Orthocuck logic

Actually I'm Slavic, not an American, but not Orthodox either. I'm just trying too highlight the discrepancy between Orthodox and renaissance Catholic depictions and I fail to comprehend how did the Catholics fuck up theological orthodoxy and tradition this hard.