What sort of books are you planning on buying/bought recently Veeky Forums?

What sort of books are you planning on buying/bought recently Veeky Forums?

Pic related.

bump

Recently bought A Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger and To Lose a Battle, by Alistair Horne. Haven't arrived yet, though

I can't justify the huge shipping fees to where I live, so I have to buy locally, and most books I want aren't available that way.
Thus pirating ebooks.

The bureaucratization of the world

Put a bunch on the list this last week:

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - William Shirer
Why Nations Fail - Daron Acemoglu
King Leopold's Ghost - Adam Hochschild
Congo - David Van Reybrouck
Africa's World War - Gerard Prunier
The Mediterranean - Fernand Braudel
The Roman Revolution - Ronald Syme
The History of Rome - Theodor Mommsen

I have an unhealthy obsession with stuff like this. It sucks, because the "how stuff is made" part of history is overlooked by the art history majors in charge of museums.

This

I'm not retarded enough to pay for things I can get for free.

Have you been to the V&A or checked out their website? Every gallery has videos and boards explaining how things were made, with reproductions you can touch.

I have one of those e-ink kindles where I read almost all of my classics and get them for free, it's great. I do like having dead tree versions of books I read multiple times because I like underlining and writing notes.

My focus is less on the actual produced work themselves and more on how the tools, fixtures, and devices used to manufacture things were manufactured.

And how the tools used to manufacture those tools were made.

And so on, ad infinium.

It's kind of autistic.

This is my list right now. Finished all but the last Churchill book.

The last one is the best. First one most interesting. That whole series is incredibly long. Took me a few months, but I wasn't focused on them. Incredibly informative. Nothing like reading about history from someone who had a leadership role in it.

Subtle.

bump?

>buying books
That's what libgen is for.

I think I'l get God's Chinese Son soon, a book about the Heavenly Kingdom revolt in China.

I bought the US Constitution

I'm getting some books by Thomas Sowell for Christmas, and I'm really happy. He's my favorite author.

You'll probably feel better about being poor if you can stop lying to yourself about it.

This. You can get pretty much any classic or popular book on Amazon for pennies plus shipping if you're willing to accept a used copy.

Also Hamilton Mythology.