I've heard multiple times here and there that Buddhism is "compatible" with christian beliefs...

I've heard multiple times here and there that Buddhism is "compatible" with christian beliefs. I also met a guy in Japan who considered himself a buddhist christian. Can Veeky Forums elaborate on this way of thinking and how it works? I find the two religions so different so I'm very curious on this topic.

Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religon, therefore buddhist christianity can work just like confucian christianity because confucianism isnt a religon it's a series of traditions and ways of thinking from a man (confuscious) therefore buddhism could work the same.
the only asian religon that wouldnt would be hinduism

Anyone claiming that Christianity is compatible with Buddhism is an idiot.

They are completely different. For one, one of the central tenets of Buddhism is that there is no inherent eternal 'essence' (atman, soul, spirit, whatever you call it) in humans, whereas Christianity is all about protecting your God-given and eternal 'essence' for the sake of your future life in some nebulous world-to-come. Secondly, Buddhism is about finding salvation inside oneself, whereas Christianity is explicit in that salvation can only come from outside a person through the grace of God/Jesus.

Very different religions, not at all compatible.

Anyone can be buddhist/christian.

You just have to practice mindfullness and believe in Jesus.

Or You just have to practice love thy neighbor and accept/follow the 4nobletruths.

Yep, thats the mentality of those people. Either its that or "Jesus was a buddha" or "Buddha was a prophet" crazies.

Both of you are retarded, please shut the fuck up.

Waiting for Anti-Buddha.

le I'm superior but I can't tell you why man

Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy, a pain management system, and it is not compatible with Christianity in any way, shape or form.

I can but I just can't be bothered

You could be a Christian-Buddhist or a Buddhist-Christian if one supercedes the other.

Yahweh is one of many gods, and yeah his son forgave our sins and all that but the wheel still spins on. Heaven is just a nice place to meditate. Christianity is overtaken by Buddhism.

Or the Buddha just taught a way to get away from sin, in which case Buddhism is overtaken by Christianity.

What's the "Anti-Buddhism"? The philosophical anti-thesis? Platonism?

You can be a Christian that follows some Buddhist teachings. How much you take from Buddhism determines how compatible it is.

For instance, The Buddha taught that even gods die, and that the afterlife is impermanent. As far as I know that view is incompatible with Christianity.

But meditation, the noble truths and following the noble eightfold path to reduce suffering are not incompatible teachings with Christianity

>Yahweh is one of many gods
This is impossible to reconcile with Christianity

Not really, there are 3 gods in Christianity after all.

cuz ur a dumb cunt in real life huehuehue

>Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion

No, this is wrong. Buddhism as originally taught by the Buddha included reincarnation, afterlifes, and gods. Just because it doesn't involve worshipping a deity doesn't mean that paranormal entities aren't present in it's canon (which is essentially the same dharmic canon that the Hindus have).

Also I don't know wear you pulled that "Hinduism is the only religion in Asia" meme from because Shinto, almost all denominations of Buddhism, most forms of contemporary Taoism, and traditional Chinese folk religion all practice rituals, deity worship, and have priest orders.

Fuck off hippy

>For instance, The Buddha taught that even gods die, and that the afterlife is impermanent. As far as I know that view is incompatible with Christianity.

No, there are "death of god" theologians who take the death of god literally and call themselves christians.

Reeeeeee

>If I just call these three separate and distinct gods "the same one god" then that makes it true!
>fuck logic, MUH FEELS!

But they're all God, with three aspects

And yet they're also three separate beings with their own unique qualities. How is this possible? Oh right, "it's a mystery :^)"

So is Thich Nhat Hanh taken seriously by other bhikkhus?

In that case you can view heaven as part of the rounds of rebirth, a nice place to go but not a permanent solution to suffering

This. A mystery in the same way that god has a plan for everyone but we also have free will

It's more that they share similar beliefs, not Buddhists and Christians in their doctrine and practice but what Siddhartha Gautama and Yeshua preached.
The deity worship is mostly a Mahayana practice.
Pure Land Buddhism is superficially comparable to Christianity. Maybe it was influenced by it or by Zoroastrianism.
Likewise there's also the theory that maybe Iesu/Yeshua might have encountered Buddhism on a travel maybe and it influenced the development of Christian thought.

HEY NOW

I'm actually not sure how other bhikkhus view Thich Naht Hahn, but he's not that bad.

Yeah, he simplifies some of the tenants of the Dhamma, but I attribute that more towards him trying to be accessible to outsiders. I'm sure he's a better practitioner than lay followers.

Also, I think his wording is important here.

He said that you can be a Christian and PRACTICE buddhism, not that you can be both, and he isn't wrong. You can be a Christian and benefit from meditation and metta, but the core tenants are incompatible.

Buddhism doesn't have any core tenants, tho. Sure, individual Buddhist traditions has superstitions of various kinds, but the practise of Buddhism IS the only core tenant, ie, the cultivation of compassion and mindfullness is in and of itself the whole of Buddhist doctrine. You can certainly be Christian and Buddhist, the late great Leonard Cohen was a Zen master as well as a practising Jew.

autism

>Buddhism doesn't have any core tenants

Retard