Was Gothic the pinnacle of architecture?

Was Gothic the pinnacle of architecture?

It was too Gothic for my tastes

Pretty much. I do enjoy some modern architecture too though

Depends. I prefer the less ornamented examples. But to each its own, I guess.

Nah.

But then again, I don't know shit about non-residential styles.

pic related.

You might like Gothic Revival architecture.

yes

Byzantine architecture is not bad desu senpai. It's extremely comfy. Unfortunitely there are only small shrines and monasteries since they were not much of monumental buildings and all their monumental buildings were in Constantinople. A few more a spread through Europe, like Saint Mark's Basilica in Venice.

Pic related is Panagia Vlacherna, in Greece (last phase completed around 1250)

Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque - Famagusta - ~1350

too kitsch desu

That's exactly the opposite problem

I prefer Baroque. They're pretty similar but Baroque just looks far more regal and less like a overdramatic dracula film.

HOL UP

Worst example

looks like the meme about /his being overpopulated by byzantiboos is actually true

>liking anything to do with greece or anatolia between 400 and 1200 is le bad
How do you type whilst you're wanking off guys at the same time?

>tfw roof archers knock you down on your way up
>tfw cant get gud

>literally needs an external support structure just to keep the walls from collapsing in on themselves
nah

>using shit building material
>come up with creative and beautiful way of keeping it functional
>"nah"
nigga please

FPBP

Not enough concrete and simplicity, brutalism ftw

That's like saying the katana was the pinnacle of the sword because they had to find a work around for poor iron and weak forges.

I'm pretty sure OP was talking in terms of artistic aesthetics rather than structural integrity. In terms of structural integrity yeah it's not as good as modern methods, but in terms of the creativity and artistic sense that went into making it you could absolutely say it was the best.

Gothic style had pretty good ornamentation and touches of craftsmanship, but as architecture it was pretty experimental and prone to collapse during construction. It was the pinnacle of architecture that didn't require advanced mathematics I guess, and great for building super tall stone towers and vaults but not much else.

The artistic sense was separate from the actual architecture though. Carve away all the little sculpture and facade work by other artists and you've got a pretty bare looking structure that's basically a Roman/Islamic structure with carved out walls and supports.

I'm with you. Versailles is my favorite. There is no other place I'd rather visit.

>artistic sense was separate from the actual architecture
not really
basically any gothic characteristic, ribbed vaults, gothic arch, flying buttresses, hollowed walls, large clerestory, serves both purposes

It looked so nice back then. I like the green area surrounding it. Also the lack of homeless people and gipsy beggars/thieves is surprisingly pleasant to the eye.

Yes.

But art deco is also god tier.

Yeah, it really must've been quite the beauty in its heyday and you, good sir, have patrician taste for noticing the tiny cemetery at the back and the rest of the surrounding patches of green

If you're going to make a hopelessly, indulgently ostentatious and overdramatic structure, then you might as well go all the way -- Gothic or bust. Baroque is a frilly decadence, a complacency; Baroque does not stir the fearful side of awe.

dubs confirm baroque is best

only edgelords prefer gothic over baroque

I don't mind being an edgelord if it means I don't have the insane delusion of preferring a gaudy and decadent Baroque over a humbling, God-exalting Gothic.

cuck off