What is your opinion about new buildings built in traditional architecture style?

What is your opinion about new buildings built in traditional architecture style?

Pic related

I hate it.

I live in a wonderful town, architecturally-wise. It's a old, medium-sized suburb that developed over a long period of time, chiefly from 1890-1930. In the core, you have lovely Victorians, Italianates, that kind of thing. A bit further out from the center you get bungalows and Craftsmen. On the very edges, where I live, you get ranches and split-levels from the 1950s. Although these are not as pretty as the older homes, they are at least unobtrusive in their simplicity and add to the architectural variety of my town.

All around, however, the McMansions are coming up. Officially, these homes are termed "neo-eclectic" because they freely cannibalize from every style. In reality, they are big, empty boxes with a bunch of random ornamentation thrown on: a Gothic window there, a Greek Revival column there, and an ugly mess of too many gables sprinkled on top. They're also all disgustingly huge, with far more space in them than most any suburban family would need.

I am generally not a fan of architectural modernism or postmodernism, but the example in the OP is not an antidote to that. It is a cheap product of our consumerist culture that has nothing to do with the great traditions of vernacular architecture in this country. Even an ordinary ranch house would be better.

It may seem strange, but I feel very passionate about the aesthetics of the average American home. Maybe because I grew up in a place where those aesthetics were so prevalent. I believe the single-family house is the one form of art that plays the largest role in one's day-to-day life.

I personally like modular homes, they're comfy to me and I like the idea of personalizing your home and shipping it to your own land. But I'm probably bias, since I use to do the foundation for these.

What the Fuck are you even talking about. The houses op wants to discuss are not Mcmansions. Not every min contemporary home built after 1970 is a McMansion

*non contemporary

His pic is a McMansion. I explained it; it's called neo-eclectic style. It's not really a traditional style

Are you me? I don't think there's even a single McMansion where I come from, but your mindset and the kind of area you live in are both identical to the same aspects regarding myself. Also, the house in the OP isn't a McMansion, but I know where you're coming from.

Let me elaborate on that "McMansion" part. The house IS a mashed-together mess of different styles, but it's not really pretentious enough to be a McMansion. Also, nice related captcha.

Italianate is horrible.

I live in Cincy m8. It's a puke inducing style.

Disgusting

I don't think I've ever seen anyone who hates Italianate of all things. What are your thoughts on Palazzo, A.K.A. "Italianate but with arches and rustication"?

t.Howard Phillips Lovecraft

I think it's pretty cool, though I think we first need to fix the way we place these buildings first. Having pretty and/or impressive buildings amounts to little if they're used in today's typical automobile dependent developments.

>approving of italianates in a fucking anglo country

I don't know that the OP house is as bad as you think it is. Certainly, it's not a paragon of style. But how how can you say it's any worse than typical suburban houses? At lest this style has some sort of correlation to symmetry and omits obnoxious, truly ugly shapes. You can't say that of all suburbs.

Post an example of the sort of suburb you like

this looks pretty comfy senpai. how much do these typically run for?

>do you guys like x
>NO I HATE X BECAUSE Y IS HAPPENING HERE

idiot

I spent a couple years of my childhood in a Queen Anne style house my parents were renting.

Happiest years of my life. Loved the heavy timbers. The great big bannister. All the little woodworking details. The way the light would shine in through the stained glass window above the entryway. Would love to live in such a house again.

Lose the bridge and its good.

still tasteless