Can somebody recommend me some good Veeky Forums approved books, documentaries, podcasts, etc...

Can somebody recommend me some good Veeky Forums approved books, documentaries, podcasts, etc? I'm trying to become more knowledgeable in the history and humanities so if you could post anything between entry-tier to expert-tier that would be great.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ItwGz43a_ak&list=PLmhKTejvqnoOrQOcTY-pxN00BOZTGSWc3
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/edit#gid=208687356
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/
youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A
pastebin.com/u/jonstond2
amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-Making-Modern-World/dp/1491513705
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0129.xml?rskey=opwfGq&result=1&q=mongols#firstMatch
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0154.xml?rskey=opwfGq&result=2&q=mongols#firstMatch
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0119.xml?rskey=opwfGq&result=8&q=mongols#firstMatch
pastebin.com/5UHaP8Mz
bookzz.org/book/634921/3481ae
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=ItwGz43a_ak&list=PLmhKTejvqnoOrQOcTY-pxN00BOZTGSWc3

Currently listening to this while engaged in any mindless task.

Give Guns of August a read. Great piece on the opening of WWI.

The books section is still pretty random (and lacks historiographical classics) and there aren't many documentaries. Podcasts are well-covered, though.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/edit#gid=208687356

Wrong link:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hg54SCNIHrP7xaoDrw9xrFTekQZ_Eg6N175s8ywl1ng/

Not sure if Veeky Forums approved because I think they are kind of casual but I like a couple pop-history podcasts

>Hardcore History by Dan Carlin
- Mongol episodes are really neat, so are the WWI episodes

>The History of Rome by Mike Duncan
- Probably 50 hours of Roman history from start to byzantium

>Revolutions by Mike Duncan
- Covers different revolutions I've listened to English, American and French so far.

Anyone know other good history podcasts? Or have criticism of these?

In case you haven't, also check the sticky

Does anyone have the pastebin link?

youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A

The Great War is EASILY the best documentary on World War 1.

Hardcore History is great

OP I would start with "The Republic" by Plato. If I had to give you an "essential" book.

bump for this

Isn't hardcore history extremely biased?

In what direction? I know his ancient history podcasts.

He's not an actual historian, only a "fan of history". This excuses him of the many errors he makes. For example the famous sandwich episode with Gavrilo Princip in his WWI series.

Oh, right. The BBC series made the same mistake. The series is otherwise excellent. I don't know how that myth started. It couldn't have been that one documentary series.

If you're serious about studying history, he won't be your only exposure to it. When I listen to a podcast where I'm familiar with the subject, I still find it enjoyable although I stop occasionally and question something I might disagree with. For people who don't care beyond his entertainingly sub surface recountings and are listening for entertainment, his show is fine.

I was thinking of his thoughts on churchill episode, which had little information and was basically him gushing for 45 minutes.

You should probably ask for a specific time period

pastebin.com/u/jonstond2

thx lad

Looking for good stuff on Mongols.

You gotta start with the classics lad

amazon.com/Genghis-Khan-Making-Modern-World/dp/1491513705

Yup, read that. Anything else good?

The Mongol Empire: Genghis Khan: His Triumph and his Legacy

The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire

Fictional, but paints a good cultural portrait:

The Blue Sky by Galsan Tschinag

Unrelated, but EXTREMELY awesome

The Bloody White Baron: The Extraordinary Story of the Russian Nobleman Who Became the Last Khan of Mongolia

Dan Carlin's Wrath of the Khans series is great.

Doesn't this book jump to extreme conclusions?

you can glimpse introductory words in these three links
oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0129.xml?rskey=opwfGq&result=1&q=mongols#firstMatch

oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0154.xml?rskey=opwfGq&result=2&q=mongols#firstMatch

oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199791279/obo-9780199791279-0119.xml?rskey=opwfGq&result=8&q=mongols#firstMatch

Half of the Cambridge History of China. Vol. 6, Alien Regimes and Border States, 907–1368 is dedicated to the mongols and the yuan dynasty

there's also this pastebin on the yuan dynasty
pastebin.com/5UHaP8Mz
the sections on foreign relations, Ties between Europe and China and The Late Yuan have books that may interest you. Some in those sections are available on libgen.io when I last checked

introductory sections*

link to the cambridge history
bookzz.org/book/634921/3481ae

Not that I was aware of. It seemed very objective, but then it may have some detail that I overlooked.

Veeky Forums really lacks a grasp on Mongolia.

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford (good introduction but Weatherford sometimes takes large liberties with translations/misrepresentations)

The Mongol Conquests in World History by Timothy May

The Mongols by David Morgan

Genghis Khan and Mongol Rule by George Lane

Culture and Conquest in Mongol Eurasia by Thomas T. Allsen

It's strange that I wrote some of these podcast descriptions and this is the first time I found this doc; or people on this board really do just think alike.

I can recommend The Histories of Herodotus, one of the most important works in history which also happens to be quite accessible.

Been listening to it on audiobook. I'd recommend it for OP too.
He has vastly improved since those days. Honestly I'd say that Apache Tears is when his "good" content started. Before that, it was a lot of bar room conjecture on stuff that was kind of interesting to him. Dan's newer stuff is pretty well-researched and likes to entertain a variety of points of view.

While I wouldn't toss out Jack Weatherford's book, it's *extremely* "apologist". He sweeps under the rug the death of millions and millions of Chinese and Arab peoples in the name of "progress" and "religious tolerance". He doesn't really take into consideration the brutality and savagery the Mongols operated with. As much as I like the Mongols, it's a dark aspect of their rule that can't be ignored.

If you like the Mongols for the Military aspect, I highly recommend Subutai the Valiant by Richard A Gabriel. For a general primer on them, Dan Carlin's Wrath of the Khans series is actually pretty good.

It's easy to have a low crime rate in a mass grave site.

This will be my policy when I re-establish Imperial rule.

kek. But yeah I mean, Weatherford's tone comes across like

"And then the Arabs thought they were looking at a snow-capped mountain in the distance, but then when they got there realized that it was a massive pile of bones. The corpses were so putrid that many of the group got sick, and some evidently even died. But Genghis opened up new trade routes so it's kosher!"

Bump

"The Romans make a wasteland, and call it peace."