Tell me about the Klu Klux Klan

Tell me about the Klu Klux Klan

Why was there a First, Second, and Third Klan throughout history?

Other urls found in this thread:

cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/exhibits/show/kkk-methods/victims-of-violence/white-victims-of-violence
pbs.org/wgbh/amex/reconstruction/40acres/sf_violence.html
query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9A0DE5D91630EE34BC4D51DFB7668383679FDE
law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241
supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/311/205/case.html
druglibrary.org/schaffer/legal/l1940/Directsales.htm
ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=atla;cc=atla;rgn=full text;idno=atla0087-4;didno=atla0087-4;view=image;seq=0481;node=atla0087-4:4
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_titles_and_vocabulary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The first KKK started out as just a fraternity type group where a few friends met and came up with goofy rituals just for fun. Then they at some point realized the recently emancipated blacks who had begun running amok in their neighborhood were a cowardly and superstitious lot, so they used the ghostly appearance and fire crosses to become one of the first real world superhero vigilantes. They also worked to drive out the republican whites who were trying to cripple the South with their punitive post-Civil War policies.

Eventually the first KKK peaked in popularity and got less popular over time until it mostly became a thing of the past. The Birth of a Nation came out and reminded everyone about the KKK and how great they were, which inspired a new generation to start participating in it. Then over time public perception became increasingly negative which drove the already secretive nature of its membership even further underground, which in turn lessened its popularity over time to the point where it was reduced to a relatively uncommon fringe activity.

There is no clear-cut "third KKK." Multiple groups since then have taken on the uniforms, naming conventions, and practices without having direct transmission of these practices from a previous KKK, so in that sense they constitute a new phase in the history of the KKK.

So the Klan basically died in WW2?

How soon did it take for the Klan to go from fraternity to terrorism?
How influential were they in Southern politics?

>So the Klan basically died in WW2?

No, it never really begins or ends, there are just periods of increasing or decreasing popularity and groups that adopt the name and practices which don't necessarily receive them directly from preexisting groups.

>How soon did it take for the Klan to go from fraternity to terrorism?

Never, it was vigilantism, not terrorism.

>How influential were they in Southern politics?

Depends on the era. They were more openly involved in politics in the past.

First Klan: attacked freedmen and abolitionist politicians, died with the Confederacy

Second Klan: Rose to power during Prohibition, united WASPs against Catholics, Slavs, Jews, blacks, and alcohol. The most powerful Klan, intimidated voters and politicians and even got a movie made about how great the first Klan was (Birth of a Nation)

Third Klan: less organized than the second, basically anyone who opposed the Civil Rights movements of the '60s would put a white sheet on and beat someone to death

>Never, it was vigilantism, not terrorism.

New to the thread, but it seems to fit the definition of terrorism; of a non-state actor employing acts of violence against non-military personnel in an attempt to achieve political change.

Do you consider Batman a terrorist?

I don't consider Batman to be real. Even assuming he was, I don't really follow the comics enough to make a determination. Is he beating up people in Gotham in order to bring about some sort of political change?

Batman didn't target civilians or public figures

The Klan used extreme violence to spread terror throughout communities they didn't like in order to keep them under control. They're the worst terrorist organization in US history.

Not him, but of course he does. I don't think any of those criminals he goes to town on regularly are active military. And I'm sure at least a few of them are public figures. Isn't the Penguin some sort of semi-legitimate politician as a front for his mob activities?

>Depends on the era. They were more openly involved in politics in the past.
At what times were they most influential, and how did that influence manifest itself?

I thought the Klan was post-Confederate, rising out of Reconstructionism?

He dresses up as a bat to scare criminals so it's easier for him to beat them up, which is pretty similar to dressing up as a ghost to scare criminals so it's easier for you to beat them up.

>Batman didn't target civilians or public figures

That's basically all Batman *does* target, how are you imagining otherwise?

>He dresses up as a bat to scare criminals so it's easier for him to beat them up, which is pretty similar to dressing up as a ghost to scare criminals so it's easier for you to beat them up.

That has nothing to do with whether or not he's a terrorist, or the KKK are terrorists. And let's not forget KKK attacks against carpetbagging whites (What crimes did they commit?), which would definitely fit into a terrorist profile.

>not Exalted Kyklops

>KKK attacks against carpetbagging whites (What crimes did they commit?)

Give me a specific example of a carpetbaggin white victim and I'll tell you.

>died with the Confederacy
It was created during Reconstruction you fucking homo.

And you forgot they were extremely against Italians.

cwnc.omeka.chass.ncsu.edu/exhibits/show/kkk-methods/victims-of-violence/white-victims-of-violence

pbs.org/wgbh/amex/reconstruction/40acres/sf_violence.html

To clarify, I asked for a specific example of a carpetbagging white victim.

>First KKK

A creation of Confederate veterans that sought to end Reconstruction in the south. Attacked "carpetbaggers" (Northerners who moved to the South after the Civil War) and intimidated freedmen against voting. Faded away after the end of Reconstruction in 1876.

>Second KKK

The most powerful Klan, received WASP support in both the North and the South and from both Republicans and Democrats. Opposed Catholic and Jewish immigration, aggressively anti-communist, agitated for the passage of the 1924 Immigration Act (which severely limited immigration).

>Third KKK

Some Klans popped up during the Civil Rights movement (and others are still alive) but they were never a unified body.

>both North and the South
This, people forget the second Klan wasn't just a southern thing, it was an American thing.

Fine, George Ashburn.

Aside from literally praised the assassination of Lincoln because he didn't punish Southerners enough, he also tried to violate the right of the people to ratify the new state Constitution he proposed.

>Mr Ashburn announced to-day in Convention the intention of himself and party to ask Congress to give validity to whatever Constitution may be passed, without submitting it to the people.

query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9A0DE5D91630EE34BC4D51DFB7668383679FDE

I'm not seeing a crime in there, user. That makes the KKK a terrorist/political group, not a bunch of vigilantes.

You wouldn't happen to visit /pol/ would you? You seem to have a remarkable similarity to the way that they argue holocaust denial.

How is that not a crime?

To clarify, it's definitely a legal requirement to submit a new Constitution to the state's voters in Georgia. He was breaking the law.

The part where an announcement at a meeting of a party's intention without any actual attempt to do that doesn't even constitute an inchoate crime in any version of American law I've ever studied, let alone an actual one.

If you go out into the street and announce that you really want to kill your neighbor, that doesn't meet the requirements of attempted murder, you retard.

He didn't just announce it in a street, he formally declared it in Convention. Also if someone reports you for planning a murder before you commit it you can still face criminal charges. That's the whole point of conspiracy laws.

law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

Nice propaganda there, shill

>He didn't just announce it in a street, he formally declared it in Convention

Which is not actually attempting to get it shoved through congress.

>That's the whole point of conspiracy laws.

Require a hell of a lot more than an announcement in a public sphere of an intention to apply.

supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/311/205/case.html

druglibrary.org/schaffer/legal/l1940/Directsales.htm

This will be my last post in the thread. It's very clear you're an ideologue trying to rehabilitate the KKK and not actually in this for real historical discussion.

>United States v. Falcone
311 U.S. 205 (1940)
>1940
>druglibrary.org/schaffer/legal/l1940/Directsales.htm
>1940

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any precedent those cases established didn't apply to events that took place 80 years prior. Also irrelevant anyway since now you're arguing how likely it is that a potential criminal charge would lead to conviction, when the topic is vigilantism i.e. extralegal action taken against criminals.

>anyone who doesn't simply condemn the KKK is a propagandist

They were most influential in the early 1920's. At that time they were a nativist movement that sought to curtail blacks, jewish, and catholic influence in American society. They were popular throughout the country and even had open support by governors and senators. California Senator William McAdoo was known as a klan candidate during the 1924 Democratic primaries and caused controversy at the convention as there was a strong anti klan presence (surprisingly led by the Senator from Alabama). McAdoo was probably one of the best secretary of Treasury in US history though.

On the topic of the first Klan, any examples of Carpetbaggers exploiting the South?

The titles they made up for themselves are fucking hilarious. Anybody got a full list of their hierarchy?

started out as a confederate ira basically

The entire era of Congressional Reconstruction was fraught with carpetbagging. The mostly northern republican controlled southern governments (due to southern whites being disenfranchised) would massively increase public spending on infrastructure "projects" that were just money laundering scheme for northern businessmen. Northern Republican Daniel Chamberlain wrote a pretty good piece on why republican reconstruction failed.

ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=atla;cc=atla;rgn=full text;idno=atla0087-4;didno=atla0087-4;view=image;seq=0481;node=atla0087-4:4

Another example was the attempted coup d'etat in Arkansas after the war. The recent northern transplants were upset that the southern faction of the republican party won the recent election so they attempted to take the capital by force. However President Grant stepped in and recognized the southern faction in order to ensure republican control.

The Klan's track record for dealing with carpetbaggers is pretty spotty though. They were mostly thugs who most higher up ex-confederates condemned. The Red shirts were a much more organized and successful insurgent group. The KKK were only romanticized later as heroic rebels against radical republicans.

Was there ever a black KKK member?

Honestly it's pretty funny. I know Wizard Dragon and Cyclops are one, I think Cockatrice is one?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_titles_and_vocabulary

Admit it, it looks fun

I might find you an article, but I know that a black FBI guy investigating the Klan duped them into having him join by way of phone contact primarily (never met in person, maybe he sent a substitute once idk). He proudly displayed his Klan certificate in his office. It was cheeky.

>Grand Council of Yahoos

Damn that's cool

Their were a lot of Black Red shirts who were pretty much the South Carolina variant of the KKK.

Blacks really did love Wade Hampton for some reason.

Of course it would be a bunch of judges in conical hats

How could it be so cool and so goofy at the same time?

I thought CSA officers were b& from running from office?
It did that only apply to CSA politicians?

That ban on CSA officials and generals only applied during radical reconstruction, which is why Hampton first ran for office over a decade after the war. Unsurprisingly, banning all those with prior political experience from the government doesn't create a lasting model.

IIRC the second clan died when the superman radio show did a story about how fucking stupid they are and everyone started making fun of them
The third clan died when it turned out one of the biggest leaders was raping and murdering white women

The superman thing was that he infiltrated their group and got all their secret signs or whatever, then put them over his superman comic for everyone to see.

>ghouls, giants, turks, nighthawks

That's the second KKK, bunch of embarrassing LARPers.

Actually, the First and Second were the most "real".
The Third are the LARPers.

>Klongress

Can't make this shit up.