What comes after postmodernism?

Is there a label for it?

I suppose they will just come up with another buzzword

The only word I've seen to describe it is metamodernism. It describes a useful model that does seem to exist, but is a ridiculously stupid name.

What are its defining characteristics?

Post-Irony.

Post-irony and thus sincerity. But sincerity denotes goodness and what I see is actually the opposite. The development of anti-humor which criticizes like ironic satire but unlike satire it is actually mean spirited. So post-ironic but I also think things are getting darker on the whole.

Of course they are, how can the sincere stay good in the face of such value-less, virtue-less postmodernists? The angry, reactionary undertones of palingenic fascism will continues to reappear, what else can good men do?

Return to tradition

postpostmodernism

So post-irony?

A new beginning. Palingenesis.

That can't happen. Too much has changed. In the world of the internet a return to tradition is a ridiculous fantasy.

Irony is over. But it's a cultural impossibility to go backwards, and thus can't go back to the optimistic sincerity of modernism. So the only place to go is a nefarious sincerity.

Paramodernism

Bump

The Amish are a thing.

>Paramodernism

why para- ?

I see it as an end of postmodern irony but the continuation of postmodern cynicism. So it's almost like the inversion of modernism. So maybe anti-modernism?

>palingenesis

I sort of like a name that doesn't reference modernism. Maybe the rift is big enough to warrant something truly new. Could be a little idealistic though.

Because it sound s cool

Everything else has been reduced to ashes. The way forward has been burnt up. Where else is there to go but backward?

bears an abnormal resemblance to modernism
At least that's how we'll spin it so we can still have a cool name

What you're seeing is freedom from the oppression, and possibly from the lessons, of the past, or a freedom to be wrong, to be sincere and thus foolish or irrational. It's a transformation of irony into sincerity, by taking on the appearance of an ironic act, while being at least party sincere, or sincere at heart. It's allowing oneself to be a fool while being aware of your own foolishness, and not caring that it is foolish, and therefore wrong according to the old rules. (In the same way it can also be about being mean, if you are a mean person, and not caring to hide it behind politeness.)

It's also a revolt against the tyranny of not believing, as pushed by rationalism.

Very well said

Tbh I think post-postmodernism would be defined by memetics, especially how transmission of ideas can distort them deliberatly or involuntarly.

The former is demonstrated by the emergence of the internet as a factor that influences public thought and how it enables unregulated information and misinformation to circulate through the public which, unlike anything in the past, has the ability to influence the course of politics thanks to democracy, which marks the importance of aforementioned traffic of information. See "fake news" and the phenomenon of hugboxes becoming increasingly present on the internet.

The second is deliberate distorsion of information which manifests as the reductio ad absurdum of memes. See pic related.

Modern-Classicism

Metamodernism
New Sincerity

Sort of. There's "liquid modernity" as described by Bauman. But then you have Beck that argues that we're still in a late-feodalism period.

Chronologically postmodernism should be nearing its end point. Dadaism is the changeover or else heavily anticipated post-modernism even if it started squarely in the middle of modernism, over a century ago. The heyday of postmodernism was the mid to late 20th century in the arts and philosophy. Memes are currently post-modern but I think they are just running on the fumes of the movement. From a historical standpoint, the turnover to new centuries tends to signal the transition to new modes of thought. So we should be on the lookout for a shift. Anti-humor is one of the most interesting cases of a potential trigger because it's post-ironic.

nietzsche looked so weird without the stache

Terminators.

I agree. If you look at post-modernism as a cultural revolution, where the original foundations and traditions are broken, then what is to follow will surely be a cultural thermidor. In that people will be sick of it and try to go back to the way things were (but in that creating something new)

Show me evidence of that happening because I don't see it. If you don't your just constructing a theoretical fantasy and deluding yourself.

>your
>Veeky Forums - NO HYPOTHESES ALLOWED NO JUST REGURGITATING FACTS FROM WIKIPEDIA OVER AND OVER AGAIN ALL DAY EERRYDAY XD

You have to go back.

I'm not necessarily looking for academic evidence. I'm looking for cultural evidence, in general behaviors, writing, the arts, etc.

I understand where you're coming from but I highly doubt a return to tradition is possible since the mechanisms of society are changing at a rate that's completely insane from a historical standpoint. Think how much different things were just 10 or 15 years ago before social media. Even if it were possible which I strongly think it isn't, it's a pretty boring hypothesis don't you think? If anything I think the current movement will be marked by progression.

Also I don't need to go to wikipedia for that, this is kind of my job.

Things never completely go back to the way things were, ultimately the culture moves forward. However the people generally have a reaction in the opposite direction when they get hit with too much change too quickly.

> Iran going from being a liberal (westernized) monarchy to a conservative theocracy
> Russians seriously going back to orthodoxy after it being heavily discouraged for multiple generations
> The alt-right

None of these will last, which still plays into my thermidor analogy. There is a thermidor after a revolution but not all the revolutionary principles are discarded, sometimes a lot are kept. There is just a cultural pushback to the continuation of the revolution.

Very interesting. It's sort of ironic, a return to tradition while synonymously progressing technologically at such a rapid pace.

Can you think of any other analogous historical periods to our current one?

Not a return to specific traditions, but a return to respect for traditions.

The last few decades have been marked by a distinct need to be "above" traditions. We'll see new traditions, and a respect for them as they solidify.

Can you elaborate more on optimistic sincerity? I always found modernism to be dterninistically empty and depressing, like a Rothko painting, or a TS Elliot poem. THe totality of things is overwhelming to them.

Deterministically*

Modernist architecture, writing, and art all want the world to progress in a logical way which is inherently better than it once was. There was a fundamental faith in progress that was very idealistic. Think of a Piet Mondrian, Kandinsky, Picasso. You especially see it in architects like frank loyd wright, van der roe, etc. They all dreamed of an modern utopia, these giant systems of building complexes where form followed function. Many of these projects failed miserably though and the world wars sort of destroyed everyones faith in humanity to a degree that modernism didn't have much to stand on, thus we get postmodernism.