Why is "this" the price of Ethereum?

I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. Why is the current price of Ethereum what it is?

What gives it this value? I know, it's a platform for decentralized everything but why is one ethereum (ETH) token worth nearly 200$? I know projects, apps, fundraisers can be done on the platform, so wouldn't the price be better with a simpler/constant value?

Why isn't ethereum 1$ or 10$ or 100$ or 1000$ let's say? When people stop using en mass, wouldn't it be easier for a specific, rounded amount to be constant for ETH?

Let's say I start an app worth 1000$. Wouldn't it be easier for me to know I must pay say 10 ETH, rather than 0.00001 or 0.023412564? Or I want to raise 300k$. Wouldn't 300 ETH be more simple for the general public rather than say 0.0120234503356 ETH?

I am sorry if there is a very simple explanation that I am missing, but I'm obviously missing it.

>uneducated people need not apply
>people that bought ETH cheap and don't want to hear the dream might end need not apply
>shills need not apply
>delusional people need not apply

Not everything has to be in base 10 OP. There's a reason US currency is traded in pips as well - it's just obvious that you can't into forex.

True. But would about your avearage joe? Don't you think it would be easier for him to have it in base 10? If this platform where to become mainstream?

Think of how many older people are still not into the internet, social media or constant online presence. And they represent a huge market.

what*

Smart Contracts for apps (used to transmit representations of value) work differently than trading the crypto its self

Mind giving a brief explanation? And is ETH not used for those? Than for what?

Try supply and demand. ETH devs don't have significant part of the supply to control the price.

That works. But isn't this a negative aspect? If ETH isn't stable at a price, doesn't it cause problems when being used?

Say you are doing a fundraiser for a project woth 100k$. And ETH price increases and at the end of the fundraiser you get the equivalent of 200k$. How would this be dealt with?

buy 100k with the excess and send it back to addresses as eth?

it's not that hard

What stops the people from running of with that money? Imagine a huge sum fundraiser, the price being inflated by outside forces, and bam, the one with the fundraiser runs off and profits with the outside helpers. Is this not possible?

we are not catering to average joe. We are catering to programmers and (currently speculators and) investors.

joe can fuck off.

No because there are services that guarantee the 200$ you send in eth will be 200$ exiting the other side, factoring price oscilations.
This means this service provider will sometimes make a profit, sometimes a loss, but even out (maybe even gain due to constant price rise)

And do the programmers sell the things they make among themselves? They don't need to reach the market which is comprised of the average joes too dumb to understand and bother with all this?

And who is this service provider? A person? Someone that regulates the transactions? Not that decentralized then, isn't it? Or is it the company? So you give 10 ETH for a project thinking you have 100$, but turns out you could have kept it for a second more and have had 1000$.

Think about gold traders.
The price fluctuates, but they have to keep buying and selling the gold to keep the business going, they can't just hoard all the gold expecting it to go up.

Yep, it probably will be like that. But what is stopping some people from running of with the gold and selling it on the black market? Or in this case, the ETH?

I assume that's where the sophisticated verification, reputation and fraud prevention systems come in play. Could be.

Might split later on just like stocks, 10ETH will become 100ETH, value remains the same.

The average joe doesn't even know ETH exists.

>We

>Why isn't ethereum 1$ or 10$ or 100$ or 1000$ let's say?
Because there is no set price of eth? That's the whole point lol, the price fluctuates

>But what is stopping some people from running of with the gold and selling it on the black market?
The fact that it's worth less there

Do you understand what a blockchain is and how it has overcome this? This is literally THE reason why it's now entering mainstream companies, banks and 'average joes' who have at least the technical competence to create a wallet.

It's a TRUSTLESS transfer system. The only way anyone can steal it is to take over 51% of nodes and rewrite the blocks to suit themselves.

Most of the shitcoins coming out are built on the ethereum blockchain and they have to pay with eth to use it as such. That's why the price of eth keeps going up.

addendum- if a person wanted to steal gold and sell it on the black market, but first they had to accumulate and control 51% of ALL gold deposits in existence, would this be plausable? NO.
Now consider that the 51% of gold that they had to take control of is locked in bank vaults with high tech security, would they be able to do it?
NO
Now consider that each and every bank vault takes extreme measures to protect the keys to those vaults. Would the gold thieves be able to do it?
NO